Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
11/29/14 01:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interest In Custom AV Bed Rack?  (Read 27132 times)
TXAVy
CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member

Awards
« on: 01/20/03 03:35 PM »

Hey all,

I'm finalizing design and about ready to begin construction on a custom AV Bed Rack and wanted to check here for interest or requests before I got too far (learning from Arrival Mike's production history idea ).

My original idea was for an over-the-bed-covers bike rack that allowed removal of the bed covers and opening of the side storage bins without interference. After finishing design though, I see no reason why it can't be used for many other cargo mounting options as well (skis, snowboard, cargo basket, lugage clamshell, etc.).

The best part is that it's mounted using 4 small permanent brackets that install using all stock screws so there is no drilling, strapping, scuffing, or scratching, and if you decide you don't like it you'll be back to 100% stock without any remnants. The brackets are small enough that they won't get in the way during normal activities when the cross-bars are removed, and they'll be painted to look like a stock part of the truck (textured gloss black, dip-painted like a trailer hitch, or perhaps sprayed with bedliner material).

The cross-bars will be simple and quick to install/remove (about 60 seconds, just like the midgate!) and can hold a variety of mounting hardware for bikes, skis or anything else you can think of.

Here's a link to a quick web page that I threw together which shows a lot of before and after mounting pictures including some notes and still outstanding questions. The first picture shows what it would look like with a bike mounted (using a BikeTight). The pictures were just sketched up using PaintShop Pro so don't expect too much. All of the rack parts are shown in red in the pictures so that they can be easily seen.

TXAVy's Custom AV Bed Rack

I expect the entire rack to be well under $100 when finished. Please respond here with questions, interest, ideas, or even requests for modifications that would help you solve a problem you've not found a fix for yet.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

ARRIVAL BLUE, '03 Z-71
MODs: Westin Chrome Nerf Bars, GoodYear Wrangler MT/R 285/70R17, Amber DRLs, Mag Light Mod, WeatherTech WeatherFlectors, ES Bushings, Window Tint, AVALANCHE hitch cover, Rear Seat Headrest Mod, Lifted EZ-Slider, Remote Tailgate Lock, Automatic Cargo Lights
Y-Guy

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 01/20/03 03:52 PM »

Good idea, would be great if the bar would accept standard Yakima/Thule rack mount too since many already have racks, would be nice to reuse them.

Concept photos you did look well thought out and seem to fit right.  How would you remove the cross bars? That is a key issue for me, I still need access to the bed.

Off to a great start if you ask me, if I can lend a hand let me know I have a couple styles of Yakima racks for bikes and my ski racks too.
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 01/20/03 04:00 PM »

How would you remove the cross bars? That is a key issue for me, I still need access to the bed.

You'll still have access to the bed with the cross-bars on, I'm leaving just enough room under them to accomodate for how much the bedcover raises when you remove it (not much actually). So you'll be able to remove or replace the bed covers as much as you like without removing the cross-bars if that works best for you.

And if you'd prefer to remove the cross-bars entirely, my current idea for securing the cross-bars to the brackets uses shims that slide inside the cross-bar square tube and through a hole in the end of each bracket. You then cap all four cross-bars with a standard rubber end cap and you're all set. The end cap holds the shim in place as well as concealing the mounting method so that anyone who gets the wise idea of removing your rack will be stumped for a while. As with any system though, this will never stop determined thieves. "Locks only keep honest people honest."

Off to a great start if you ask me, if I can lend a hand let me know I have a couple styles of Yakima racks for bikes and my ski racks too.

Any details you can provide on Yakima/Thule racks and mounting requirements would be great since I have none of those. Pictures and web links are useful, and if you live in the area even better.

« Last Edit: 01/20/03 04:01 PM by TXAVy » Logged

ARRIVAL BLUE, '03 Z-71
MODs: Westin Chrome Nerf Bars, GoodYear Wrangler MT/R 285/70R17, Amber DRLs, Mag Light Mod, WeatherTech WeatherFlectors, ES Bushings, Window Tint, AVALANCHE hitch cover, Rear Seat Headrest Mod, Lifted EZ-Slider, Remote Tailgate Lock, Automatic Cargo Lights
Dave02Z66
CAFCNA 2004 Supporting Member

Passed on AV#2 for a RAM HEMI

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: 01/20/03 04:03 PM »

TXAVy- I would offer the racks powder coated, That way you can give people the option to get them in different colors. The powder coat can also be gotten in a textured finish as well and probably more durable than any wet process.

Houston, Texas 
Former owner '02 White, Z66.
born 5/13/01 adptd 5/31/01 departed 3/9/05 110,000mi
Flowmaster, custom three tone paint, painted cladding, Indiglo Dash, Sportwing, Ram Air Hood, TBS spacer, K&N, Chrome side steps, Av Brush Guard, Amber DRL's, Silver Stars, 17"Antera 301's, Michelin LTX tires. LOF, SS Sill plates. Whelen strobes. Now A '07 RAM QUAD CAB HEMI owner, Bring on the MODS!
scarver233

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 01/20/03 04:51 PM »

I like the idea!  Great photos too.

If you are going to make your system compatible with Thule/Yakima, consider the distance needed between the bottom of the crossbars and the top of the hard covers.  Some componets use mounting hardware that requires either the bolt or nut coming up from the bottom.  Some componets have hardware that protrudes down to some extent.  I know Thule has some bike racks that have bolts and nuts under the crossbars.  

If you take a look at http://www.thuleracks.com and http://www.yakima.com and surf around their componets you will see how some of the hardware is positioned like wheel carriers and bike racks.

Also consider the same issue for some ski/snowboard carriers.  To get the most use of some carriers it is best to put the ski/snowboard upside down with another one on top, base to base.  Clearance between the bindings and hard cover might be a concern.  There are some carriers, like Thule's snowboard carrier, where clearance wouldn't be an issue.  However, the majority of carriers, like Thule Flat Tops or Yakima Powderhounds, carrying capacity would be cut in half without the ability to put skis/snowboards base to base without buying extra equipment, like risers.

I'll keep watching.  I think you got a good idea.

2002 Blue Z-71 AV w/Yakima rack on covers
Borg

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 01/21/03 01:09 AM »

Definitely a great idea!

I'd be very interested in one!  I'm looking for extra cargo space.  I have the roof rack already so I can put skiis, bikes, kayaks, etc up there.  What would be perfect for me is some type of cargo basket like this: http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product.asp?dept_id=11&sku=840

I was considering just strapping a soft luggage carrier to the top of the bed panels, but then you are limited to 250#.  With your idea, you can probably put a lot more weight on the rack.

'03 Dark grey metallic Z71 1500
pdxkevin
CAFCNA 2006 Supporting Member

Spero nos familiares mansuros

WWW Awards
« Reply #6 on: 01/21/03 01:43 AM »

If you can get it to hold the weight of a full basket, then I would be seriously interested.

...  Go Play outside  ...
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 01/21/03 02:25 AM »

I'll definately look into the Thule and Yakima details as I know lots of people already have those parts and would like to re-use them.

Regarding the cargo baskets, I am confident that this rack will hold cargo baskets without a problem at all (they usually weigh 40-60lbs empty). I'm going to take off all the cladding along the sides though to get a good look at the support structure underneath so that I can give you a good idea about how much cargo weight it will safely hold. If the original brackets designed to hold a bike rack aren't strong enough then perhaps I'll make a "heavy duty" version for cargo baskets and the like.

Regarding double-mounted skis/boards, I want to keep the rack as Low-Profile as possible for all the other uses so there may be a clearance issue as you mentioned. We'll keep risers in mind though so it won't be something you have to buy from your ski rack manufacturer.

Thanks for all the ideas and links so far. I'll keep you all updated with progress.

ARRIVAL BLUE, '03 Z-71
kodio

CLEAN LEMONY FRESH VICTORY IS MINE!!!

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 01/21/03 02:50 AM »

I would be very interested in this rack.

My only concern would be the front supports that attach under the drain. It looks as if the arm for the support would be sitting on top of the gasket for the hard top. How would this affect water tightness?

2002 Black Z-71. No mods yet except tinting the front windows. Well, now the mag light and amber DRLs, too. Ooo, the headrest mod, also. The list of things I want to do is too long.
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #9 on: 01/21/03 03:07 AM »

My only concern would be the front supports that attach under the drain. It looks as if the arm for the support would be sitting on top of the gasket for the hard top. How would this affect water tightness?

The brackets will be bent so that they don't "rest" on the gaskets. We want the mounting point to carry the load, not the gaskets. Good point though, and I'll make sure that the gaskets aren't flexed so water tightness isn't compromised.

ARRIVAL BLUE, '03 Z-71
GRF

Awards
« Reply #10 on: 01/21/03 03:23 AM »

I own a 16ft Kayak and have been trying to figure out what would be the best way to hold the back end.  If you had a mounting system like this and optional vertical posts so that a cross bar could be mounted level with a factory or other manufactures roof rack that would be great.  The roofline of the avalanche is not quite long enough to hold my kayak as stable as I like.  The kayak will rock while I am driving.  I do not like to tie down the bow and stern of the kayak, as it is plastic and will bend if left for more than hour
knightowl77
« Reply #11 on: 01/21/03 05:23 AM »

Definitely Interested if it can hold a full basket. I'm looking to carry a couple of jerry cans, a high lift , a shovel and some extra food/gear. If that works, I'll buy one for sure.

Good work !

Mark
Steelheadchaser
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #12 on: 01/21/03 05:52 AM »

PDX, the factory roof rack is rated at #175 as I recall. I'd be willing to bet that the rating is based on the strength of the roof itself as opposed to the rack. The bed panels are rated for #250.

2014 CAFCNA Supporting Memberships and Premium Supporting Memberships (the one with the coins!) are On Sale and Shipping! only 24 of 75 Challenge Coins are Still Available 
Thank you Supporting and Premium Supporting Members! Link to Club Store
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #13 on: 01/21/03 07:53 AM »

PDX, the factory roof rack is rated at #175 as I recall. I'd be willing to bet that the rating is based on the strength of the roof itself as opposed to the rack. The bed panels are rated for #250.

I would be willing to bet that the bed panels are rated for #250 EACH, just to keep them from buckling in the middle if you are standing on them. Though I'm not sure I'd want to try to load #750 to the top of the bed covers and hope that the side rails hold. I'm willing to bet that a cargo rack mounted over the bed will hold close to twice as much as one mounted on the roof for the reasons you mentioned.

I give up for now on the Yakima and Thule details. None of their web pages give any dimensions so that I can figure out what size their cross-bars are. If someone who owns a Yakima or Thule system can go out and measure their cross-bars and send me dimensions (Width, Height, AND Length) I'll work on that though. From what I've found so far the Yakima system mounts to a round cross-bar, while the Thule system mounts to a rectangular cross-bar.

I'm POSITIVE that the Thule system is not square specifically to stop us from doing what we're trying to do. Yakima even offers a converter for mounting accessories onto rectangular Thule cross-bars. We'll beat their scheme somehow though. Keep the details coming.

ARRIVAL BLUE, '03 Z-71
Maverick
Charter Member

Chevy Avalanche is a Can o' Corn! I luv it!

Awards
« Reply #14 on: 01/21/03 10:58 AM »

For $100, this is a no brainer as long as there are no water issues created.

2002 Indiglo Blue 1500.  Graphite cloth seats. Mountain Z66 decals, Stripeman tailgate letters,  overhead DIC console, Pioneer stereo, XM, Kicker 300x4 amp, Kicker Rs6 door speakers, Kicker CVR 10 in custom box, Carriageworks billet grill, Trenz chrome bowtie.
brmiller
Charter Member

Will code for food.

Awards
« Reply #15 on: 01/21/03 11:24 AM »

I knew I had read of this same thing on here already--looked great, and I was going to investigate copying his original design.  But I never got to it...  Anyway, spyderb put this together:

The old thread is here.  There are other pictures on page two.  Sadly, his picturetrail account seems to be defunct.

I would love such a rack that would safely haul my tandem.

Brendan
« Last Edit: 01/21/03 11:39 AM by brmiller » Logged

2002 Avalanche K1500 Indigo Blue Metallic
Options: Z71 package, convenience package, 3.73 rear axle, 6-way heater leather seats, sunroof, roof rack, assist steps
MODs:
Leather 40/20/40 bench conversion, LOF, GM Bugflector, Amber DRLs, dual carseats

10/08/01 - 08/21/08
got_change
« Reply #16 on: 01/21/03 12:55 PM »

this is a great idea, and have it modular, so if you want rack, in the bed great.

and if you want tu run it up over the roof,  and catch some sail panel screws up there,  all the better.

hey can you beef it up enough, that i can drive, my vw powered sand rail right on up,top of the bed?

this idea is of, the,"avalanche" culture, a great, useful
                                  mod.

NJ-Black-02-2500
Charter Member

I love the Chevy Avalanche!

Awards
« Reply #17 on: 01/21/03 01:23 PM »

For $100 or less...I need these...great idea

Some possible options for you.....selling that  front bracket without racks..good place for a no drill antenna mount....

or even an option for tall racks....even with the roof rack...for long stuff like ladders...or for  mounting lights....

or front to back bars...sort of like bed rails for tying things...
Great Idea

Hmmmm.....

Black 02 2500 4X4
K&N FIPK, Magnaflow Cat back
SSBC Shortstop brake kit
HID Lows and Fogs from DDM Tuning
WAAG grill guard, KC Daylighters,
custom overhead console switch mount
Alpine CDA 9835  (From Enkei)
XM SkiFi II,  MB Quart RSC216's front and rear doors
Alpine 4X100 Amp, 10 Inch Alpine subwoofer,350 watt Alpine Base Engine sub amp
Husky Liner mats
SOLD NOV 2011--TRANS WENT BAD--220k miles
TRADED FOR GMC 1500 Crew Cab SLT 4X4 Pickup
Y-Guy

Awards
« Reply #18 on: 01/21/03 02:05 PM »

Let me know if you need dimensions for the Yakima and/or Thule bars, I can swing by some places here and get measurements.  You are right about the Yakima=Round Thule=Rectangle issue.  

Standard Yakima X-Bar length are: 48", 58", 66", 77"

Standard Thule Load Bars length are: 50", 58", 65", 78"

My bead covers measure 50 1/2".

My thoughts... the Thule bar size seem easier to work with, and with adapters a Yakima rack will fit fine.  The ability to remove the bars is more important (if you ask me) than if its circle or rectangle.  
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #19 on: 01/21/03 03:11 PM »

brmiller,
Thanks for the link to that thread. I had only bookmarked the PictureTrail page and as you said it is now defunct. SpyderB is definately one of the inspirations of this idea as I had mentioned earlier.

Y-Guy,
Yes, Please! If you can measure and post the dimensions of the Thule (rectangle) and Yakima (round) cross-bars that would be wonderful. Internal dimensions (or wall thickness) might be useful too.

My thoughts... the Thule bar size seem easier to work with, and with adapters a Yakima rack will fit fine.  The ability to remove the bars is more important (if you ask me) than if its circle or rectangle.

Honestly, I'm not going to design this rack to work specifically with either Thule or Yakima. I'm going to design it for what works the best, is the strongest, and relatively easy to acquire parts for. I doubt that it's easier to acquire a rectangular tube than a round one, but square seems stronger (kind of like an I-beam) and is very common. There will definately be a way for people to attach Thule or Yakima accessories if they already have them, but I'm not going to ask you all to go out and buy their cross-bars to make this work.

And I'm with you 100%, the ability to quickly install and remove the cross-bars is the most important to me too, which is why I'm spending so much time tinkering with it.

ARRIVAL BLUE, '03 Z-71
brmiller
Charter Member

Will code for food.

Awards
« Reply #20 on: 01/21/03 03:21 PM »

brmiller,
Thanks for the link to that thread. I had only bookmarked the PictureTrail page and as you said it is now defunct. SpyderB is definately one of the inspirations of this idea as I had mentioned earlier.

Cool.  I must have skimmed too fast.  I didn't know if you had seen the earlier thread or not.  My tandem is 6 feet long from rear hub mount to front fork mount, 8ft with wheels.  I'll be interested to see how long loads work out.

Brendan

Options: Z71 package, convenience package, 3.73 rear axle, 6-way heater leather seats, sunroof, roof rack, assist steps
MODs:
Leather 40/20/40 bench conversion, LOF, GM Bugflector, Amber DRLs, dual carseats

10/08/01 - 08/21/08
redaval

The best STEAK seasoning in the world

Awards
« Reply #21 on: 01/21/03 03:52 PM »

good idea....someone needs too come up with a custom bed slide idea....
bikerchic1977

Awards
« Reply #22 on: 01/21/03 04:06 PM »

this is perfect! and for the price.. sweet deal!!

wait.. shh.. can u hear that??? it's the sound of my overworked bank account groaning cuz it knows i'd be all over this one..  
lanche_armstrong
« Reply #23 on: 01/21/03 04:16 PM »

Great lookin rack idea concept.  Like the Specialized bike too...Just took delivery of our new Av and our entire family (of 5) does a lot of mountain biking so we will be looking at rack ideas for the spring.  I'll be watching the "rack on the bed" progress!
Maverick
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #24 on: 02/12/03 04:42 PM »

Anything come of this mod?  I'm still very interested.

2002 Indiglo Blue 1500.  Graphite cloth seats. Mountain Z66 decals, Stripeman tailgate letters,  overhead DIC console, Pioneer stereo, XM, Kicker 300x4 amp, Kicker Rs6 door speakers, Kicker CVR 10 in custom box, Carriageworks billet grill, Trenz chrome bowtie.
Dave02Z66

WWW Awards
« Reply #25 on: 02/12/03 04:56 PM »

Anything come of this mod?  I'm still very interested.

I am still working on the Prototypes for TXAVy, the cold and wet has kind of slowed it down, the AV wont fit in the garage, so have to work outside, should have something to him soon.

Houston, Texas 
Flowmaster, custom three tone paint, painted cladding, Indiglo Dash, Sportwing, Ram Air Hood, TBS spacer, K&N, Chrome side steps, Av Brush Guard, Amber DRL's, Silver Stars, 17"Antera 301's, Michelin LTX tires. LOF, SS Sill plates. Whelen strobes. Now A '07 RAM QUAD CAB HEMI owner, Bring on the MODS!
brmiller
Charter Member

Will code for food.

Awards
« Reply #26 on: 02/12/03 06:24 PM »

TXAVy (and others):

Is there any reason why you would choose to build the custom bracket system you are designing instead of just using Yakima Q-Towers as scarver233 did?

Click for high-resolution image

From the scarver233 does Yakima Q-Towers on bed panels thread (thread is called "Bike tights on tailgate").

Don't get me wrong, your custom bracket idea is a great mod and we know SpyderB has done something similar, but doesn't the Yakima idea seem more "click-n-play"?  I guess I would favor a solution using readily available parts.  I haven't priced Q-Towers yet (probably pricey, most Yakima/Thule stuff is), but mass-manufactured parts are usually cheaper than your average home-brew, one-at-a-time solution.

Again, I'm not knocking your idea--just fishing for reasons for the pro/con column of each solution.

Brendan

MODs:

10/08/01 - 08/21/08
Maverick
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #27 on: 02/13/03 12:29 AM »

If I'm not mistaken, the Q Towers actually mount to the hard covers.

TXAVy's plans utilize the rails so the cargo covers are unaffected.  You would be able to take off the rails for versatility with no damage to the truck if so desired.

Right, Dave?

Dave02Z66

WWW Awards
« Reply #28 on: 02/13/03 02:37 AM »

TXAVy (and others):

Is there any reason why you would choose to build the custom bracket system you are designing instead of just using Yakima Q-Towers as scarver233 did?

Click for high-resolution image

From the scarver233 does Yakima Q-Towers on bed panels thread (thread is called "Bike tights on tailgate").

Don't get me wrong, your custom bracket idea is a great mod and we know SpyderB has done something similar, but doesn't the Yakima idea seem more "click-n-play"?  I guess I would favor a solution using readily available parts.  I haven't priced Q-Towers yet (probably pricey, most Yakima/Thule stuff is), but mass-manufactured parts are usually cheaper than your average home-brew, one-at-a-time solution.

Again, I'm not knocking your idea--just fishing for reasons for the pro/con column of each solution.

Brendan

Yes the reason being is the system TXAVY has designed is completely independant of the bed covers allowing the covers to be removed while the rack is installed.
« Last Edit: 02/13/03 02:38 AM by dsw7311 » Logged

Houston, Texas 
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #29 on: 02/13/03 02:38 AM »

Maverick,

Yup, my design leaves room to remove the bed covers with the rack on if you desire. The solution using Q-Towers I think used a clip that wraps around the edge of the bed covers, so there would be no drilling necessary doing it scarver's way either. I think his solution is perfect for someone who already has a Yakima system from another vehicle. Just buy the Q-Clips and you're off and rolling.

BRMiller,

One reason I wanted to design my own versus going with Yakima is that there are some people who are interested in throwing a cargo basket on there with a few hundred pounds of cargo. I'm sure the Yakima system itself can handle that, but I personally wouldn't want that much weight attached only to my bed covers and resting on my waterproof rails. This system should handle ~300 lbs or so with no problems at all.

But the biggest reason I wanted to design something myself was price. Here's what I've found on Yakima pricing.

$125 Q-Towers (not sure if that's for 2 or 4 of them).
$24 Q-Clips (again, not sure if that's for 2 or 4 of them).
$90 Crossbars (2 of them).
$40 SKS Lock Cores (our latest design uses similar locks).

Now add the parts to actually carry 4 bikes up there which amounts to between $260 and $500 dollars more depending on which Yakima system you pick, cheapest being the Boa, most expensive being Viper or King Cobra.

So it seems the LEAST amount of money you can get away with spending to carry 4 bikes on top of your bed covers with a Yakima system is a whopping $500!!! And that's only if the Q-Towers and Q-Clips come in packages of 4 for the listed price, maybe someone who knows can tell me? Either way, I think we can do a LOT better than that.

You're right, most all of the time you get what you pay for and I'd trust a company who's in this as a business long before I'd look at a home-grown solution. But since I'm hoping my design will cost half that or less, can carry more weight without the possible damage to the bed covers, allows you to remove bed covers while mounted, and should accomodate anyone who already has either Yakima, Thule, or GM cargo accessories, I think it's worth taking a look at for at least a few people.

How's that sound for Pros/Cons? Smiley
« Last Edit: 02/13/03 02:39 AM by TXAVy » Logged

ARRIVAL BLUE, '03 Z-71
brmiller
Charter Member

Will code for food.

Awards
« Reply #30 on: 02/13/03 06:36 AM »

Thanks for the clarification.  I see the issues are (for the most part)
  • weight capacity
  • removable bed covers
  • price
You're right, those Yakima parts do get pricey fast.  And you'll probably get more weight rating on the mount locations you're planning then clipped to the edges of the bed covers and resting on the drain rails.  I guess removability of the covers never occurred to me.  It's true that with your system you can remove the crossbar and forget that the "anchors" are even there since they're pretty unobtrusive.

Good luck!  Interested to see the final product.

Brendan

MODs:

10/08/01 - 08/21/08
Hernz Av
Charter Member

Hammer down in the fast lane !!

WWW Awards
« Reply #31 on: 02/13/03 02:18 PM »

TXavy,
I have also been doing some thinking about this.

Here are a couple of problems I ran across. On the front bar you are going to have to cut out a notch on the drain vents. They have a tight fit. How thick would the bracket tabs be? This is what is going to hold most of the load from the cross bars. If they are too thin they will fail. If they are too think you will have to do some cutting to the cladding.

I have also looked at putting some bars across  mounted at the same locations to support my cargo basket that I have. Again this is on my to do list just have not got time to make the cross bars.

I was thinking about getting some extra vent drain covers. Just have not found a part number to find out how much they are.

I was thinking about putting some texture paint that would match the cladding. Something like what Blueruck got on his front bumper.

Keep us posted

George
02 Avalanche Indigo Blue
1500 2WD
Built 9/01 Bought 10/01
Olathe, KS (KCK)
66 Chevelle SS 396
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #32 on: 02/13/03 05:32 PM »

Hernz,

When you get a chance take a closer look at the front drain panels. Remove them in fact and look at the edge that is closest to the bed covers. You'll see that there are short little legs that it stands on so it doesn't actually sit flush against the rail.

The brackets that I designed are bent so that they will fit between the rail and the drain cover without touching either. They will be made out of 1/8" steel so I don't think that strength to carry the weight will be a concern but I'll do some rigorous testing and let you all know what I find.

I haven't decided on finish yet but certainly have lots of suggestions to think about. (Texture painted, spray on bedliner material, paint dipped, powder coated). I might offer a few or let the purchaser finish them themselves if they like.

ARRIVAL BLUE, '03 Z-71
lsuflyingtiger

I love the Chevy Avalanche! Geaux Tigers!!!!!

Awards
« Reply #33 on: 02/13/03 07:43 PM »

This project sounds awesome.  Please keep us all in the loop.  I would be interested in the basket for carrying extra cargo.

Jim

Wanted an AV forever, finally got one!

White Z-66; Leather etc.  Added mudflaps and bug shield; flag bowtie, flag rear window, K&N air filter, V-force dual exhaust out the back.
Tsip4ever
« Reply #34 on: 02/14/03 02:45 AM »

Great idea TXAVy.  I'll be very interested in the finished product as well.
ILuvMyMtnBike

I love My 2003 Chevy Avalanche!

Awards
« Reply #35 on: 02/23/03 03:26 PM »

TXavy,
I have also been doing some thinking about this.

I was thinking about getting some extra vent drain covers. Just have not found a part number to find out how much they are.

If I remember from when I took my covers off, there should be the part number molded into the plastic or a sticker with a p/n.

Cool

2003 Chevy Av,  Born 11/02  Adopted 12/13/02  Black w/ Dark Charcoal Buckets, Z-71 Package, Driver's Convenience Package, Steering Wheel Controls, Bose 6 Disc, Electric Sunroof.......Mods done - Lund Winter Front. Headlight Covers, Ventvisors, Cusom Over-the-Bed Bike Rack....Mods to come - Sailwindows, Black Grill Bowtie, Upgrade Front Lighting.....and more!!

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/attachments/P1000201.JPG
Maverick
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #36 on: 02/26/03 06:13 AM »

Where are those racks?.  Let's get'em  out for sale!!!

TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #37 on: 02/26/03 08:05 AM »

Send some warm weather toward D/FW and we'll be done in a jiffy. That or if there's another welder in the area with some time lemme know and maybe that will help with the bottleneck. Dave is hoping to have some work on the demo's done this weekend otherwise. Sorry for the long delay.

ARRIVAL BLUE, '03 Z-71
U.S.A.valanche

Avalanche all the way!

Awards
« Reply #38 on: 02/26/03 08:27 AM »

Hey Fellow AVER's,

I do not remember if i posted this or not in the past, but i think it may have some useful information when it comes to questions about the weight capacity of the hard cover panels.  I had sent that question to The General when researching my purchase and this was their response:

"" Thank you for contacting Chevrolet!  Congratulations for selecting the new Chevy Avalanche.  This is one of the most exciting new vehicles to enter the truck market in years.  The Avalanche has won many awards including Truck of the Year from Motor Trend, "Best of What Is New Grand Award" from Popular Science, and Most Wanted Vehicle" Award-Pickup from Edmunds.com.

The answer for your specific question is: each bed cover panel is rated to hold 250 pounds weight applied at a single point.  The bed panels are made of PROTEC composite material.  This is a proprietary formula owned by GM jointly with Dow Chemical, and is also used to make the wings for the F-18 "Hornet" fighter plane!  At the core of the panels is a thin sheet of a high tech formula of aluminum commonly called "memory metal."  This is used by the aircraft industry for the floors and other surfaces of many aircraft.  It helps your Avalanche cargo panels regain their original shape after bearing a load, such as a person or cooler sitting on one panel at a tailgate party.

Please take a test drive of an Avalanche and ask to see page 2-73 in the owners' manual for this information about the cargo panel's weight capacity.

Please keep in mind that these panels are not intended to be an everyday cargo load-bearing surface.  There is a danger of a load entering the passenger compartment through the rear window if this is attempted.  Ask your dealer to show you the cautionary materials from the factory about this subject.  The bed well of the Avalanche is 22 inches deep.  This is almost 3 inches more then the industry standard for a pickup truck bed. ""

I personally (6'-3", 245 lbs) have "walked" around on the installed hard cover panels showing off to some of my buddies at work and there was no adverse effect on the panels.  You can see alot farther.....

02 Avalanche 1500 Forest Green Metallic/Graphite Leather: Z71,LM7, M30,  G80, GT4, AN3_2, ZM9, CF5, V54
Mods: (so far) GPS, Ventvisors, K&N air filter, Amber DRL's, Mobil 1, UltiMat, CatchAll mats
Maverick
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #39 on: 02/26/03 08:57 AM »

TxAvy,

I understand about the weather.  I'm between you in D/FW and Austin.  Right now my pod is shriveled.

Crexis

Go Cats!

WWW Awards
« Reply #40 on: 02/26/03 09:08 AM »

I'd be interested in a set if I can get a cargo basket that will attach to them!  Great idea!

Tsip4ever
« Reply #41 on: 03/14/03 01:20 AM »

Any updates on this mod?
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #42 on: 03/14/03 03:05 AM »

Yes! Actually there is an update finally. Sorry for the big delay.

Parts patterns for the first full size mock up are with the Metal shop right now and they expect to have them done by Tuesday at the latest.

There's been some improvement in the method that the crossbar attaches to the brackets which will raise the price a bit but I think you'll all be happy with it. We'll be using small round lock cylinders similar to every professional rack system out there. They'll be keyed alike so you only need one key, but I have a rotating set of key choices with the cylinder and I'll keep track so as not to send the same key pattern to the same area of the country twice if I can help it.

The crossbars are going to be 1-1/2" square aluminum which should be both fairly lightweight as well as plenty strong enough to hold all the options we're looking at including a cargo basket. All of the commercial models (GM, Yakima, Thule) use different size crossbars (I'm sure that's on purpose) but also offer adapters so that you can put their gear on someone else's bars. I'm going to build a similar adapter, but my sources for Yakima/Thule info haven't gotten back to me so if anyone is interested in that I'd appreciate any info/pictures/measurements that you can offer. As it is, 1-1/2" is exactly the right size to accept a Bike Tight without any overlap, so if that's all you're looking for you can mount them straight up without any adapters at all, though I'd recommend angling them a bit anyway if you think you'll ever have more than two bikes up there.

The only thing outstanding at this point is the finish on the parts. Obvious options are Painting and Powder Coating but I'm open to other suggestions. Post thoughts here and I'll look into it while waiting to get the demo parts installed and kinks worked out.

Thanks for your patience and sorry again for the long delay.

ARRIVAL BLUE, '03 Z-71
Captainfantastic
« Reply #43 on: 03/14/03 06:06 AM »

TXAVY,

What measurements do you need? The diameter of the Yakima bar is 1 1/8"

I'm not sure what sort of measurements you need, but I have alot of the stuff and will measure whatever you want...
Tsip4ever
« Reply #44 on: 03/14/03 06:41 AM »

Thanks for your work TXAVy.  Looking forward to the finished product.
peej80

Stop staring at my Av!

Awards
« Reply #45 on: 03/14/03 07:15 AM »

It's great to see ingenuity in action but the thing that concerns me with "home made" stuff is the safety. I saw first hand what a friends home made bed rack in his extended cab pickup did when he got in an accident. Let's just say, thank God he didn't have any passengers in the back seats. You've got to think of the worst because I would hate to see anybody hurt .

Peej80 Cry

2003 Summit White Z-71 with GM brush guard,  stainless side steps, hood deflector, molded mud guards, full leather, personal security,  Bose 6 cd stereo, Polar Bear taillight guards and Westin billet fuel door.
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #46 on: 03/14/03 08:55 AM »

TXAVY,

What measurements do you need? The diameter of the Yakima bar is 1 1/8"

I'm not sure what sort of measurements you need, but I have alot of the stuff and will measure whatever you want...

That's a good start, is it the outside diameter of the crossbar? What about the inside diameter? Don't think I'll need that but nice to know anyway. Also, if you could send a few pictures and measurements of the brackets that the accessories use to mount to that crossbar that would be great. Thanks.

Peej,
I hear ya. This is definately going to be an "over-engineered" rack because of exactly that reason.

As with the warning in the owner's manual, the area on top of the bed covers is not recommended as a normal storage location because of the chance that cargo could come through the rear window and into the cab. That warning will have to stand obviously and I'd recommend only cargo that can't fit through the window (bike, cargo basket, spare tire, etc.).

Everything smaller (skis, snowboard, shovel, jack, etc.) should be VERY securely mounted to something larger than it is. Shouldn't be a problem though as any company that makes mounts for these on the roof of a vehicle would be just as liable if it were to fly off and go through the windshield of a vehicle in front of them as into their own back window.

« Last Edit: 03/14/03 09:04 AM by TXAVy » Logged

ARRIVAL BLUE, '03 Z-71
Maverick
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #47 on: 03/14/03 09:05 AM »

How could you go wrong with powder coating?

I'm ready!!!!!

johnson

Awards
« Reply #48 on: 03/14/03 09:44 AM »

TXAVY,   I'm not worried.  I always put my mother-in-law in the back seat. Just kidding!!! Do you have a picture of the final product yet? I will be carrying a mountain bike with it. Along with my Bed Slide, I will have no problems at all carrying all my toys.  Sounds GREAT!  Thanks for keeping us informed, KennyG
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #49 on: 03/14/03 10:41 AM »

Do you have a picture of the final product yet?

Only pictures I have of the finished product so far are the ones I mocked up with a graphics program. The metal shop said they'd have the demo parts done on Tuesday and then hopefully the final product will follow very soon after. Here's a couple design pics to hold you over till then.

ARRIVAL BLUE, '03 Z-71
walshie

Awards
« Reply #50 on: 03/15/03 04:00 AM »

Actually there is no real need for this mod. take your bedmat, throw it up on your hard covers, and no matter what you put on it wont move no matter how hard you drive Wink
Actually this is a good idea, better than the roof rack imho.

2003, Z66, Green.
Tailgate lock, Black Nerf Steps, Bedslide, Cargo light pin switch, tailgate lock blocking plate. Bugdeflector II, amber DRL's, Poron reversing sensor, Billet grill
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #51 on: 03/19/03 03:16 AM »

Just bumping to keep everyone who's interested informed. The metal shop got backlogged over the weekend with a big order. Money talks so my order took a back seat. They currently have one of the brackets done and should have the other finished today. Unless something else happens I should have first pictures of them mounted on the AV by Thursday.

Next steps will be to to finalize which type of lock cylinder fits best, mount the brackets with rubber pads/washers to cushion the contact points, test the fit with locks installed, and order the finished set which I'll post lots of pictures here for your review/approval.

Last things to do will be to confirm the mounting method for the back tire and contact someone to find out price for powder coating for those who are interested. I'm already fairly confident about the back tire mounting method, but I really want to see a bike on it before contracting those parts to be made.

ARRIVAL BLUE, '03 Z-71
walshie

Awards
« Reply #52 on: 03/19/03 08:12 AM »

I jsu got a JC Whitney catalog in the mail and while looking through it I saw a Thule Pickup bed bike rack. This thing  is expandable and sits on the top of the bed while pushing against the inside lip(kind of like a shower curtain rod). Rubber feet and friction hold it. I think with minor modification it will push against the top boxes or sail panels and the grab handles. You could then add other carriers to it. Not sure if the truck is strong enough to work. just an idea.

2003, Z66, Green.
Tailgate lock, Black Nerf Steps, Bedslide, Cargo light pin switch, tailgate lock blocking plate. Bugdeflector II, amber DRL's, Poron reversing sensor, Billet grill
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #53 on: 03/19/03 03:42 PM »

You mean this thing?

It assumes that the back tires of both bikes are sitting inside your bed. They aren't secured at all other than at the fork clamp. You can make pretty much the same thing out of two Bike Tights and a 2x4 for about $50.

ARRIVAL BLUE, '03 Z-71
suthrncop66

Awards
« Reply #54 on: 03/21/03 09:17 AM »

I just put a roof cargo basket on my Av and was wondering if anyone has thought about using the cross bars from the factory rack to fabricate some sort of bike rack on the rear bed covers??
Just an idea...

'02 2500  updated mods, down to a 6 inch Fabtech lift with 37 inch Coopers, remote resevoir shocks, Warn 9000i, on a Stealth Off-Road, Sony HU, Hifonics Zeus 1600 watt amp, Hifonics Europa 400 watt amp, US Amps 800 watt amp, Kove 10 inch subs in midgate box, Hummer rims with BFG All Terrains, Suurco Roof Rack, Ram Air hood with intake, Crane Programmer, Maglight Mod, Rear Bumper cupholder.
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #55 on: 03/30/03 07:44 AM »

Status on the Bed Rack:

I'm beginning to feel Arrival Mike's pain in the manufacturing setup process. I had the first metal shop drop the order after they got a bigger one that was worth more money to them and I had to go and find another shop. I did get the first two brackets before they dumped me so I have some pictures that I can pass on to show how they will look. Please ignore how dirty the AV is and the darkness. I finished installing them after the sun went down.

Here's the front bracket bolted in with the drain panel in place. Fits good without resting on the edge of the truck and no need to notch out the drain panel. The support leg falls right beside the bracket in fact.

Here's the same bracket with Bed Cover Panel #1 in place.

Here's the nice fit on the mounting holes for the rear bracket. These are the stock screws that hold down the rear grab handle. I placed a washer in the bottom of each hole that was rubber on the truck side and metal on the top side for strength.

Here's that same rear bracket installed with the grab handle on top. I think I'm going to round the top corners of the bracket a bit once I know how the crossbar fits so that it won't be prone to snag things that pass by.

Here's another shot of the rear bracket with the bed covers all in place.

And finally, here's a shot from the rear showing both brackets (you can just barely make out the front one) with all of the bed covers installed.

Next steps are to finish fitting all of the brackets and test the crossbar fit. Then will have a hole cut in the top of each bracket to accept the lock cylinder I've found. And lastly it's off to the powder coating shop.

Shouldn't be "too much" longer now, though I guess I've learned not to promise dates until I get a real production run on the shop's timeline. Sorry again this is taking so long.

ARRIVAL BLUE, '03 Z-71
Maverick
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #56 on: 03/30/03 05:50 PM »

Looks good so far.  I'm ready to order!!!

TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #57 on: 04/09/03 01:40 PM »

Another Update:

I got the other set of brackets as well as a crossbar test fit piece from the new metal shop. Next I painted all of the parts to keep them from rusting while this beta test process plays out. And finally I took some pictures to share with y'all. Not a bad match to the cladding considering it was just "Hammered Iron" finish Rustoleum, eh? Smiley

As you can see, the new metal shop opted to weld the bracket to the baseplate to save $$. I will go with the cleaner look on the right for the finished product but production price will come down because they'll be made in a lot instead of singly.

Once again, the fit on the rear brackets is very nice.

Here's the front bracket after being painted and remounted.

Time to test what the fit on the crossbar will be like. If I can't find some 1-1/2" end caps though I might have to go with a 1-1/4" crossbar which is closer to the size of the Chevy and Thule bars.

Here's the view of all brackets installed.

Next steps:

• Pick up the lock cylinders.
  • Find some 1-1/2" end caps.
  • Talk to the powder-coating shop I found about price.
  • Finish the back tire mount to attach to front crossbar.

Does anyone know where I might find some 1-1/2" end caps for a square tube? Seems Home Depot and Lowe's only deal up to 1-1/4" square tubing and accessories.
« Last Edit: 04/09/03 01:41 PM by TXAVy » Logged

ARRIVAL BLUE, '03 Z-71
Maverick
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #58 on: 04/09/03 05:12 PM »

Can't help ya on the endcaps but I'm getting excited for you TXAVy.  You've been working hard on these.

Lookin' good!

jackalanche
Charter Member

I spent my lunch money on mods!

Awards
« Reply #59 on: 04/10/03 01:01 AM »

yeah, what Mav said - looking good TxAvy  thumbs_up , been following the effort with everyone else here. Yo are on my future mod watch list!

08 Black-Black LT3-Z71, Wrangler Dual Battery kit, Pio AVIC-Z3 HU, XM, Bluetooth, 9" Viz DVD headrest players-monitors, blah blah blah
gpventures
CAFCNA 2009 Supporting Member

"May you live in interesting times...

Awards
« Reply #60 on: 04/10/03 12:01 PM »

TXAVy:

For end caps/plugs:

Try http://www.mcmaster.com, this is the website of McMaster-Carr. They have over 400,000 items in their online catalog, giant warehouses around the country, and a 4+" thick print catalog.
These guys have an incredible variety of seemingly everything and great service. I have been using them for years, they're not the cheapest, but they have the inventory. They will usually ship from a farther away warehouse at no additional charge if the closest warehouse is out of stock.
The only problem is that they have so much, it can take some extended poking around sometimes to find what you need. I am pretty much convinced that World Peace is somewhere in that catalog - but no one has figured out how to look it up yet, LOL.

Anyway, do a search for caps, plugs and Huh. In a couple of minutes I found the following square plugs:

page no. 3439
O.D.     I.D.    Height  part no.
1-1/2" 1.260" 0.630"  9565K29
1-1/2" 1.334" 0.630"  9565K26  
1-1/2" 1.370" 0.630"  9565K27  

Good Luck. Your project is looking great. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: 04/10/03 12:06 PM by gpventures » Logged

...may you come to the attention of people in high places; may your friends always be at your back."
Digital gauges. TribalAV's decals. Enkei's fenders. Bikerchic's ss handle covers.  03AvChris' S/S letters. Rear headrest mod. etc. etc.
Z66 BUTCH
CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator

I love Dachshunds

Awards
« Reply #61 on: 04/10/03 02:33 PM »

Also you might try: GRAINGER I have ordered parts from both places and between them you can find almost any hardware or supply that you would ever need. I also am finding what you guys are going through with the pain in the manufacturing setup process! I am having a Swing Away Cargo Box made and hope to sell some. Getting someone to work with me has been a PAIN! You can read about it HERE.

Butch

TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #62 on: 04/10/03 04:26 PM »

Thanks so much! One of those will certainly work. Only down side to the McMaster link is that their plugs come in packages of 100, but once these start on production that will be the right way to buy them anyway.

ARRIVAL BLUE, '03 Z-71
gpventures

Awards
« Reply #63 on: 04/10/03 05:08 PM »

TXAVy:
You're right and I meant to mention in my previous post that I have run into this before with them.
The good news is that on multiple similar occassions, they have agreed to a sample, free except for shipping - though I have picked up samples at their will call. Of course that only works if you are near one of their warehouses.
Good Luck.

...may you come to the attention of people in high places; may your friends always be at your back."
Digital gauges. TribalAV's decals. Enkei's fenders. Bikerchic's ss handle covers.  03AvChris' S/S letters. Rear headrest mod. etc. etc.
Y-Guy

Awards
« Reply #64 on: 04/13/03 03:03 PM »

Looking very good!  Sorry for the construction issues, hope you find a new crew to take it on.  I am still very interested.
Hernz Av
Charter Member

WWW Awards
« Reply #65 on: 04/15/03 02:10 PM »

Hey TxAvy,
This is looking really good. I have a couple of books at work that I will look at see if I find anything on the plugs. I have a cargo basket that I would like to put on your rack. Let me know when you have something to look at. I am willing to bring my cargo basket and see how it is going to fit. I will be in Houston Mon-Thurs. I am home on Fri to Sun. Let me know when you have something really.

George
02 Avalanche Indigo Blue
1500 2WD
Built 9/01 Bought 10/01
Olathe, KS (KCK)
66 Chevelle SS 396
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #66 on: 04/15/03 03:16 PM »

Thanks for the offer Hernz. Should have something for you to throw your cargo basket on here very shortly. I'm just trying to figure out if I can mount a metal chop-saw blade into my table saw and use it to notch the crossbars on the beta set. Should have that done before this weekend if all goes well.

ARRIVAL BLUE, '03 Z-71
Hernz Av
Charter Member

WWW Awards
« Reply #67 on: 04/15/03 03:35 PM »

Let me know I have a chop saw in Dallas and in Houston. I could bring one with me if needed.

Check out http://www.kingmetals.com .They have what they call plastic plugs. They are also in Dallas. Check out this link.

Plastic endcaps

If you think they have something that will work I can stop by and pick them up for you. So you will not have to make a trip to Dallas
« Last Edit: 04/16/03 01:33 AM by WS6Y2K » Logged

George
02 Avalanche Indigo Blue
1500 2WD
Built 9/01 Bought 10/01
Olathe, KS (KCK)
66 Chevelle SS 396
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #68 on: 04/16/03 02:28 AM »

Aha! That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Hernz! McMaster is an awesome resource, but it's always nice to have something local that you can drive right down to and talk to them in person. I think I'll make the trip down there today or tomorrow. I'll let you know how the chop saw blade thing goes and perhaps we can get together this weekend or later this week sometime to finish this off.

Thanks again.

ARRIVAL BLUE, '03 Z-71
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #69 on: 04/16/03 04:02 AM »

I'll ask at Home Depot too, but does anyone know if I can use this 10" Stationary Saw Cut Off Blade - Metal in a table saw to use cutting metal pipe?

I guess at the very least I'll have to take the table saw apart enough to get all the sawdust out of it so the flying sparks don't start a fire.

ARRIVAL BLUE, '03 Z-71
Hernz Av
Charter Member

WWW Awards
« Reply #70 on: 04/16/03 11:31 AM »

Let me know on the chop saw. I should be in Dallas Fri, Sat, and Sun. Not sure what your work schedule is but I am more open on Fri. Let me know

Aha! That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Hernz! McMaster is an awesome resource, but it's always nice to have something local that you can drive right down to and talk to them in person. I think I'll make the trip down there today or tomorrow. I'll let you know how the chop saw blade thing goes and perhaps we can get together this weekend or later this week sometime to finish this off.

Thanks again.

George
02 Avalanche Indigo Blue
1500 2WD
Built 9/01 Bought 10/01
Olathe, KS (KCK)
66 Chevelle SS 396
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #71 on: 04/17/03 01:55 AM »

Sent you a PM about this weekend (even though I like all the "bumps" for the topic.)  Cool

ARRIVAL BLUE, '03 Z-71
Y-Guy

Awards
« Reply #72 on: 04/23/03 05:38 PM »

Any updates on the Rack?
LazKat
Charter Member

I'll Take One in Blue, and Supersize It Dude!

Awards
« Reply #73 on: 04/24/03 01:09 AM »

I'm looking for a way to carry two bikes and just went through all the messages in this thread.  What a great idea! idea  Are you thinking of a kit that provides 'just' the crossbars or would it include bike holders?  Are these the 'bike tights' mentioned?  (If not, what are bike tights?)  I like not having to cut/drill anything where possible but still getting an OEM look when it's done - and this looks like it'll do that.  Any updates?

Indi Blue Z-71, Graphite Leather, 18" wheels and 4.10s with Eradispeeds.  Added new lights all around, SilverStars, R&D Headlight Controller, assist steps, new graphics, Lund bug shield, CW Billet, and a LoF.  Look for me in Northern Virginia!
BIGG_LEE

Awards
« Reply #74 on: 04/24/03 03:27 AM »

Are you ready to sell me a set yet?Huh
Hernz Av
Charter Member

WWW Awards
« Reply #75 on: 04/24/03 05:53 AM »

Let time I talked to him was Fri and his wife was going into labor. He might be out of pocket for a couple of weeks.

George
02 Avalanche Indigo Blue
1500 2WD
Built 9/01 Bought 10/01
Olathe, KS (KCK)
66 Chevelle SS 396
Durwin
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #76 on: 04/24/03 06:11 AM »

Even though I haven't looked through every post under this topic, would anyone else be interested in a rack that could hold gasoline jerricans? This rack could be smaller and might be easier to produce?

I myself haven't found a good way to mount extra gas cans on my Avalanche.
Durwin

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500
Indigo Blue Metallic
Graphite
Sacramento California
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #77 on: 04/24/03 10:57 AM »

Quick update for all of you and thanks for being so patient.

First, yes my wife went into labor this weekend and on Tuesday morning early gave birth to our first child and son. Connor Morgan was born 4:13am on Tuesday, 11lbs 1-1/2oz., natural birth (no C-Section), no epidural, no episiotomy. My wife did fantastic and all our birthing classes on how to stay in control of those stages of labor really helped. It probably also helped that he was also 23" long, so he isn't just a chubby baby, just "supersized" in a Texas way and rather in proportion for his size.

Ok, enough daddy bragging and back to the subject at hand.

UPDATE:
  • I picked up the steel for the crossbars
  • Got a steel-cutting blade to do the final fit work at home.
  • Got a source for and picked up the RIGHT kind of end-caps I had wanted all along thanks to Hernz AV.

Now that I'm home I'll spend some time (where available) finishing up and post pictures so you all know how it turns out.

LazKat: This rack was originally intended to carry 2-4 bikes for myself so that's the option that I'll finish first. I want to sell the mounting pieces separate from the rack itself though to make it flexible for everyone's intended use. It will be using a "Bike Tight" type of fork clamp and I will certainly mount them for you if you'd prefer not to do the final assembly yourself.

Durwin: I hadn't thought about the Jerry Cans, but Hernz AV is going to bring over his cargo basket to throw on top and get some final fit requirements and that will certainly hold all the Jerry Cans you can throw at it. If you want something smaller but still using the same mounts let me know and I'll see if I can help you out.

ARRIVAL BLUE, '03 Z-71
smigdiggler

former Avy Addict

WWW Awards
« Reply #78 on: 04/24/03 11:17 AM »

Brand new to the site, but if I win the battle and get the Av, over the Tahoe, you can put me down for a rack set up for 4 bikes...  Need them before we head off to Utah for our honeymoon in august.

FORMER CAFCNA REGISTERED PARTNER

RIP-- 03/2003, DGM WBH, Z-71

Now an Acadia owner..but i miss my Avy!
Durwin
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #79 on: 04/24/03 11:48 AM »

Yes, I would be interested in something smaller. Something that would hold, maybe jerricans all in 1 row.
Durwin

Indigo Blue Metallic
Graphite
Sacramento California
LazKat
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #80 on: 04/24/03 12:05 PM »

Congratulations on the new arrival!  Sounds like your wife came through it like a real trooper! No epidural?  Wow!  

Back to the subject at hand...  I'll post here rather than PM you as others may be interested or have the same questions.

It looks like the mounting brackets and crossbars are all separate for maximum flexibility.  Now that I see what you're doing, I think I'd like to be able to mount a cargo basket and use it for the bikes, although not at the same time.  Are you going to make it so that crossbars with a bike mount could be taken out and replaced with different ones which would hold the basket?  So I'd need two sets of crossbars - which is OK by me.

On the bike tight mounts, my bike (a Trek 800) would be OK with that but my wife's doesn't have a quick-release front wheel. (To make a long story short, I haven't seen her ride often enough to buy a better bike for her, yet. If she shows enthusiasm for riding this year, I'll spring for a good bike.  I learned fom my ex on stuff like this when I paid $1K for scuba gear that got wet exactly once before she lost interest.)  I'l like to carry the bikes with the front wheels on so I think this would require some other mount.  Your design looks great and I'll work on figuring this out and pass it along if I come up with something do-able.

Indi Blue Z-71, Graphite Leather, 18" wheels and 4.10s with Eradispeeds.  Added new lights all around, SilverStars, R&D Headlight Controller, assist steps, new graphics, Lund bug shield, CW Billet, and a LoF.  Look for me in Northern Virginia!
smigdiggler

former Avy Addict

WWW Awards
« Reply #81 on: 04/25/03 03:31 AM »

LazKat,

Instead of dropping a box of Ziti on the new bike, just drop into a  bike shop for a wheel with a quick release.  I actually have about 4 lying around. I used to race back when I had a metabolism!!!.

Just an idea.. idea

TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #82 on: 04/25/03 06:51 AM »

I think I'd like to be able to mount a cargo basket and use it for the bikes, although not at the same time.  Are you going to make it so that crossbars with a bike mount could be taken out and replaced with different ones which would hold the basket?  So I'd need two sets of crossbars - which is OK by me.

Actually will work slightly better than that Laz. The mounting brackets at the corners are permanent but mount using hardware that's already on the AV so no drilling/bolting required. The crossbars will lock onto the brackets and are easily removable for storage but are "plain" with no special mounting hardware on them. The different mounting options (bike tights, cargo basket, etc.) I'll sell separately so that if you want to switch from bikes to cargo basket all you'll have to change is the mounts on the crossbar, not the whole crossbar itself.

ARRIVAL BLUE, '03 Z-71
Dungar

Awards
« Reply #83 on: 04/26/03 02:10 AM »

This idea sounds great I would definitaly like to buy one when they are availible.  
DoogieDobe

Thanks to All Vets. Be safe!! Come home Soon!!!!

Awards
« Reply #84 on: 04/26/03 03:15 AM »

Count me in for one.  I like the idea alot.

DoogieDobe

Proud owner of 2002 1500 Z71 SOM,lthr,butt toasters,sun roof, GM Bug Basher, Molded Flaps, Locking Gas Cap, rear DC plug adapter and Vent Shades, Flag Bowtie, Line of Fire LED,SONY XM RADIO, CAFC Plate Frame, AMP Billet Fuel Door, Huskie Floor Liners, Euro Antenna, Red White and Blue Lettering, EZ Slider, SStars, Amber DRL, 885 Fogs, BumperFlag, the works!!Now to make more money to pay for it
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #85 on: 04/26/03 05:57 AM »

Minor update:

The current beta model is made out of 11 Guage Steel (just under 1/8"). I finally found a REALLY good metal shop that says they can work in 3/16" steel without a problem at all and at nearly the same price as they'd charge me for 10 or 11 Guage. So the final product for the corner brackets are going to get a pretty serious beef up in strength (over 50% thicker than what I have right now).

I don't have a whole lot of time to run errands away from home right now, but I'm going to try to pick up some rubberizing paint and apply that to the parts I have now as well as finish up the crossbar for my beta unit. Wish me luck. If all goes well I'll be posting pics soon.

« Last Edit: 04/26/03 05:58 AM by TXAVy » Logged

ARRIVAL BLUE, '03 Z-71
LazKat
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #86 on: 05/01/03 01:38 AM »

Just bumping this back to the top so it doesn't get lost in the clutter!  Any news?

TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #87 on: 05/06/03 10:37 AM »

UPDATE: We're on the final stretch and about ready to get a list of buyers together for the first production run! I'm going to start sending out PMs to people who've posted interest here to get them on the thread again. I won't be collecting any money until the production run happens and I can verify that they're all completed and in good order.

The rack will be sold as the base model with mounts for bikes, cargo baskets, skis, GM/Thule/Yakima rack accessories, etc. done separately.

For finish there will be two options but I expect that most people will choose the last one.

First: I can send it to you unfinished and let you finish it yourself with Duplicolor matching your truck, Line-X, or anything else you like (Spectron might be all over this).

Second: I have dug up three different sources for getting them powder-coated (don't want to have a single vendor hold-up again). Obvious first choice is textured black or grey which would look nice next to the cladding. You can select custom colors including metallic and even one that looks almost exactly like chrome, but unless it's something that they have in stock there might be a paint charge (~$50-100) just to get the powder and then a single run minimum as well (another $50-$125 depending on which shop). Do a search for Dupont, Sherwin Williams, Tiger, or any other big powder paint supplier for a short list of all the choices available. As long as I can get a decent group of people who all want the same color the charge will be pretty minimal (<$50).

First run of my final test set using 3/16" steel is going into the shop tomorrow. I've also found the lock cylinders that will be used which look almost identical to the ones on the side storage boxes including built-in dust cover. I'll have pictures of the finished product and installation steps up for review as soon as they are done (about two weeks, but no promises this time).

As far as price is concerned, they are going to be a bit more than I had originally expected, but a LOT stronger and more versatile than what it would have been with me pounding out strips of 1/8" steel from Home Depot like I'd originally intended. They're being fabricated to close tolerances by a professional metal shop using 3/16" steel (7 Guage) and punches, shears, and laser cuts instead of saw cuts and drilled holes. I haven't finished adding up all the parts yet, but it's looking like they will cost about $200 plus shipping and your choice of finish. I'm also going to give a discount to the first production run of orders.

So who's likely in (if you like the final pics) and what finish and color would you prefer? Bare (free), or Powder Coated? And if Powder Coated, would you like Black/Grey textured or something else?

ARRIVAL BLUE, &#039;03 Z-71
socalAVY
Charter Member

love my avy!

Awards
« Reply #88 on: 05/06/03 11:05 AM »

I'm a lurker on this thread, but I would definitely be interested in jumping on the "1st run" bandwagon.  Black powdercoat or dark grey to match the cladding.

Good work!

-Mark

2005 DBM Z-71 Cladded.  So far, Star Shield Armor, MacNeil Lampguards, VR Straps.
BIGG_LEE

Awards
« Reply #89 on: 05/06/03 11:16 AM »

Same here. I plan on using this to haul tools around and bikes for the weekend.

I can not wait!
DoogieDobe

Awards
« Reply #90 on: 05/06/03 02:24 PM »

Make sure to include me in the initial investor buy.  I have used Yakima products for over 12 years and I have a HUGE amount of accessories for my Yakima rack.

Bike, Tandem Rack, Rocket Box, Skis....The Works!!!

Standard Black is fine for me.

DoogieDobe
« Last Edit: 05/06/03 02:26 PM by DoogieDobe » Logged

Proud owner of 2002 1500 Z71 SOM,lthr,butt toasters,sun roof, GM Bug Basher, Molded Flaps, Locking Gas Cap, rear DC plug adapter and Vent Shades, Flag Bowtie, Line of Fire LED,SONY XM RADIO, CAFC Plate Frame, AMP Billet Fuel Door, Huskie Floor Liners, Euro Antenna, Red White and Blue Lettering, EZ Slider, SStars, Amber DRL, 885 Fogs, BumperFlag, the works!!Now to make more money to pay for it
lanchepoor

I own a mean grean driving machine

Awards
« Reply #91 on: 05/06/03 04:20 PM »

If I can figure a way to turn it into a ladder rack, then count me in!  My wife won't leave me alone that I bought it under the guise of being a work truck, and I can't carry my ladder full-time.   Undecided
bikerchic1977

Awards
« Reply #92 on: 05/06/03 04:34 PM »

i'm in as well.. looking forward to mounting a safari rack up there..  Grin i vote for either black or the cladding color.. only problem i see there is the difference between the 2002's and the 2003's..
avking

Say Hello to Moose!

Awards
« Reply #93 on: 05/06/03 04:37 PM »

I would like in on the initial buy. 02 Cladding color would be my first choice.

My New Toy:
1995 Hummer H1

My Old Ride:
2004 Summit White 2500 AV - 6" RCD Lift - 16x8 MT Classic Locks w/ 35" Baja Claws - Westin Bull Bar & Fuel Door - Rear Diamond Plate - NAV System - Sill Plates - Cargo Deck - Dual Camera Backup System - Manik Polished Step Bars & Taillight Guards - Putco Blue Flame Grille - Bed Rack w/ Yakima Basket - Rear Window Flag - Billet Bowtie - Solid Billet Flame Door Handles - Twin Headrest Monitors, PS2 & DVD

http://www.PictureTrail.com/avking or www.mycoolcabin.com
RedHotColoAv

Mile Hi plus 3"

Awards
« Reply #94 on: 05/06/03 04:54 PM »

TXAVy, I'm in on the inital buy with the 02 cladding color option as well. I will be passing through the area sometime between 5/15 & 5/26 on a trip from Denver to Austin. Any chance these will be available by then?

Congrats on the new addition to the family!!

2002 Victory Red Z71 1500, Graphite Leather, Sunroof, Amber DLR's, 899 Fogs, Texas Flag Bowtie/Decals, Alpine Head w/8" Subs, K&N FIPK, Magnaflow exhaust, Hypertech III, PA 3" Body Lift, Goodyear MTR 305's (The BIG Dogs)-----Oh The Joy Of Spending $$$
FUTURE UPGRADES - RD 6" Lift, Weld Mountain Crushers, 37" MTR's, Kenwood 911 DVD, Infinity Kappa's, Whipple Supercharger
UPGRADES WITH THE COVERS OFF - 01 RC51, 94 CR250R
woodman

Awards
« Reply #95 on: 05/06/03 06:27 PM »

definitely interested. black or gray powdercoat o.k w/ me

2002 pewter Z66 w/ custom beige and graphite leather. 20"epic claws on 295/50r20 falkens,  billet grille&bowtie,indiglo
gauges,amber DRL's,silverstars,Audiovox dvd/vcp player w/7'monitors in headrests...I love my moneypit
DoogieDobe

Awards
« Reply #96 on: 05/07/03 12:46 AM »

Posted by: lanchepoor Posted on: Today at 12:20am
If I can figure a way to turn it into a ladder rack, then count me in!  My wife won't leave me alone that I bought it under the guise of being a work truck, and I can't carry my ladder full-time.  

If you could extend the arms/towers to the the hight of  the roof rack you could have a ladder rack and still be able to either keep the panels on or off.

Ladder Rack idea but won't work on an Av

Something like this but this particular rack will not work on the Av.

DoogieDobe

TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #97 on: 05/07/03 02:27 AM »

Couple answers and another request.

RedHotColoAv:
I doubt we'll have the production run done and powder coated by then, but you'll most likely be able to stop by and see the Test run demo if you like. PM me once you know when you'll be here if you're interested.

bikerchic1977:
I agree on the difference between 02 and 03 cladding. Anyone who chooses grey with the intent to match cladding please say so. If I can get ~15 people who all want that color it will be the normal powdercoat price as long as the shop has a color that will match it in stock. They tend to carry LOTS of Black, Grey, White, and Tan though so I'm pretty sure they'll have something for us.

lanchepoor:
What DoogieDobe said is probably your best bet and this rack as is probably won't be what you're looking for as your ladder would be right in line to fly right in your back window should you get in an accident somehow. But it shouldn't be hard to add a couple crossbars to this and extend it up above your roofline either. I've already had 1 request from someone who wanted to mount a really long canoe like that so I'll put it on the accessories list.

DoogieDobe:
There will be a little more time yet before you can mount Yakima parts to this though as I haven't had anyone who has some come to visit me yet or send pictures/measurements of the mounting hardware. If you could do either that will speed up the process of making your Yakima stuff plug-n-play. Thanks.

And now for the request, a naming contest!

The only ideas I've come up with so far are Monkey Bars, Bed Rack, and CAFCNA Rack. I kind of like the sound of Monkey Bars but would rather it fit the Avalanche outdoor image a bit better. Some kind of Safari / Outback / Mountain Climbing / Camping / Offroad theme that maybe conveys the idea of its versatility or ability to transform is what I'm thinking. If anyone can suggest a name that I end up using I'll send you a rack at half price.

Let the naming contest begin! Smiley

smigdiggler

former Avy Addict

WWW Awards
« Reply #98 on: 05/07/03 03:23 AM »

Just an FYI -- There is a company called "Easton" they are an aluminum manufacturer, They make Hockey sticks, and all kinds of Mountain bike parts....anyway..they have a few sets of handlebars that are called Monkey bars.....I wouldn't want to see you get in any legal issues over a name....

SMiG

BIGG_LEE

Awards
« Reply #99 on: 05/07/03 03:31 AM »

how about a pun on Snug top, like Snug-Pak. Like a back pack.
GRF

Awards
« Reply #100 on: 05/07/03 03:42 AM »

When I bought my Yakima system 3 years ago, the paper work that came with the add-ons stated the clips would work with both round and square bars.

GRF
jackalanche
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #101 on: 05/07/03 03:49 AM »

Weighing in as highly interested, and a vote for balck powder coat to keep it simple, and a color match for any other Thule/Yakima products that we end-users tack on.

cladding-mathed color is nice but as was noted you would need 02 and 03 versions, plus that would be a no-match for the aforementioned Thule/Yakima add-ons

08 Black-Black LT3-Z71, Wrangler Dual Battery kit, Pio AVIC-Z3 HU, XM, Bluetooth, 9" Viz DVD headrest players-monitors, blah blah blah
Maverick
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #102 on: 05/07/03 04:07 AM »

I'm in for the buy.  Gray powder coat.

TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #103 on: 05/07/03 04:43 AM »

When I bought my Yakima system 3 years ago, the paper work that came with the add-ons stated the clips would work with both round and square bars.

GRF

Yup, I looked into this. Unfortunately they just say that they "fit" but don't give any dimensions. I got the impression that what they were saying is that "They fit Thule square bars" so that people with the competition's accessories wouldn't feel locked in to one brand. Thule makes similar adapter mounting parts that they say "fit round bars".

The Thule "square" bars are actually rectangular and so are the GM crossbars, but they aren't the same size. (Everyone trying to make their stuff proprietary I bet.) Time will tell if Yakima/Thule adapters will fit on this system or I'll need to make my own adapter. If anyone has any Yakima/Thule parts in the DFW area I'd be really interested in giving it a try.

« Last Edit: 05/07/03 04:44 AM by TXAVy » Logged

Durwin
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #104 on: 05/07/03 04:49 AM »

Perhaps I've missed the mention of it, but are there any pictures of what this rack looks like?
Durwin

Indigo Blue Metallic
Graphite
Sacramento California
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #105 on: 05/07/03 04:58 AM »

Perhaps I've missed the mention of it, but are there any pictures of what this rack looks like?
Durwin

There are several development pics if you scroll back through this thread. The finished product will look identical to those except the steel used for the corner brackets will be about twice as thick (3/16" 7-Guage instead of 11 Guage). The final product pics will be posted as soon as the shop finishes this Test Run in a little over a week.

Here's the quote from the last status post if you didn't get a chance to read that far back.

I'll have pictures of the finished product and installation steps up for review as soon as they are done (about two weeks, but no promises this time).

« Last Edit: 05/07/03 05:00 AM by TXAVy » Logged

teking
Charter Member

WWW Awards
« Reply #106 on: 05/07/03 05:19 AM »

OK ... sign me up for one of these!!!!  Great idea!!!

http://www.tomnlisa.com
2003 Cadillac Escalade EXT  
Sable Black / Pewter Leather & Wood
6.0L 345HP AWD
10-Way seats, HID lamps, Auto Leveling, Ultrasonic Parking Assist, Stabilitrak, Rear Audio, Chrome Rims, On-board Driver Information Center, Sunroof, Tow Package
Options?  We don't need no stinking options!
gojira-san

Awards
« Reply #107 on: 05/07/03 07:06 AM »

I am very interested in the rack in black powder coat.

Former owner of 2002 Indigo Blue AV 1500 4x4 Z71.
2006 Pontiac GTO
2011 Cruze Eco
timcosco
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #108 on: 05/07/03 08:01 AM »

Thought I'd finally chime in too and a black powder coat sounds perfect.

As for name...  Avarack?  Rackalanche?  Maybe just plain "Avrack"?

Awesome job, my friend. thumbs_up
« Last Edit: 05/07/03 08:02 AM by timcosco » Logged

2002 - Z71
walshie

Awards
« Reply #109 on: 05/07/03 09:51 AM »

Av-rack. Black would be the best color as all other accessories will be black.

2003, Z66, Green.
pdxkevin

WWW Awards
« Reply #110 on: 05/07/03 10:35 AM »

AV-Rack! ! !

« Last Edit: 05/07/03 10:36 AM by pdxkevin » Logged

Y-Guy

Awards
« Reply #111 on: 05/07/03 03:08 PM »

I like AvaRack for a name or even AvRack.  Then again get your name on it and go for TxAvRack!  That way nobody would mess with it Smiley

I'm still VERY interested, though the Yakima option is going to be something I would need to make a go of it as I've already got 4 Yakima bike racks.  

I'd be happy to find some of the mounting hardware I have in storage, thought you got dimensions already.  I'll hit a sporting good store and get those for you though, seeing I offered long ago to do so.
DoogieDobe

Awards
« Reply #112 on: 05/07/03 03:19 PM »

Av - A - Rack has my vote.

AvRack is cool too but it does sound close to that Supplemental insurance company....What is that called?

DoogieDobe

bikerchic1977

Awards
« Reply #113 on: 05/07/03 03:58 PM »

how about a pun on Snug top, like Snug-Pak. Like a back pack.

hey that's cute! Grin

idea i'll expand on it.. what about snug-pak xtreme for all the extreme sports equipment  you can carry on there..

or.. the rackback xtreme (i really like the word xtreme! hehe)

or.. convert-a-rack.. for your convert-a-cab vehicle! both have so many possiblities, u'll never get bored!  

gpventures

Awards
« Reply #114 on: 05/07/03 04:22 PM »

The MountGear Rack System

Mount 'n Gear Rack System

Mount 'n Rack Gear System

Mount 'n Rack System

Gear Mount'n Rack System chevy

bryker

Awards
« Reply #115 on: 05/07/03 05:44 PM »

count me in. black or 02 grey is fine with me.

good work...cant wait to see the pics of the finished product.

The Order of the Black Knight[/font]
02 Black Z71 every option, bugshield, windreflectors, bushbar, rear seat cover, husky mats, billet knobs, tinted, pioneer head unit/amp, mb quart speakers, jl sub,  sailwindows,  B&B exhaust, custom intake, Flex-a-lite fans, HP 3, Command start/alarm, dash kit, snakeyes, amber DRLs, 885 fogs, PIAA 90 Pro XT, PIAA wipers, billet fuel door, Rain Tracker. Manik tailight guards, LOF, custom bowtie, crome door handles, WhiteNight lights, Avtent
Rewbob

Bought mine 12/28/02

Awards
« Reply #116 on: 05/07/03 06:41 PM »

I'm definitely interested in this.  My vote is for black powder coat.  Keep it simple so it'll match all trucks and accessories.

As for names?
1. SportRack (be careful of sportrack.com)
2. TexRack
3. 36C (Nice Rack!)
4. Rack-n-Roll (need Dick Clark as spokesman)
5. I-Rack (can install it yourself, but you need the U.S. military to remove it)
6. PackRack

Can you tell I'm sleep deprived?
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #117 on: 05/08/03 04:18 AM »

Short Update:

By my count we currently have 10 in and 4 more Interested though I won't mark ya down till I can upload pictures and you let me know for sure.

Of those 14 people, 9 prefer Black as first choice and 3 prefer 02 Cladding match (Bigg_Lee didn't pick a color yet). Production runs will be at least 10 at a time to get the normal powder coating charge of $30. If we have less than 10 the cost will go up a bit, but not by too much unless it's a one-off run of only 1 or 2 or the color has to be special ordered.

I'll keep tallys and post once I get the Test set back of the number and colors preferred so that those who weren't sure on color can make their choice.

BIGG_LEE

Awards
« Reply #118 on: 05/08/03 04:44 AM »

Color??? I don't care!!!! Whatever everyone else is using to keep the price down is fine with me. I just need the rack to work with a Yakima /Thule Basket and hold 5 bikes. Just give me a price and send the thing man! LOL!

Maverick
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #119 on: 05/08/03 04:46 AM »

Are pics coming soon?

smigdiggler

former Avy Addict

WWW Awards
« Reply #120 on: 05/08/03 05:12 AM »

Please put me down as interested, but need to see pics....

Will want to have space for 3-4 bikes..

I will take whatever keeps it the least expensive...Can you say Black Huh

TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #121 on: 05/08/03 05:26 AM »

Pics of the finished product coming soon as I get the Test unit back from the metal shop. Should be next week sometime. Don't worry, I'm not collecting money or chaining anyone to the offer till you have the full picture. Smiley

TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #122 on: 05/08/03 05:53 AM »

FYI: For those looking to mount bikes, Bike Tights or something similar work extremely well. You can either purchase the number you need and mount them on the base rack when you receive it, or I can do it for you if you'd prefer not to drill/bolt yourself.

If you mount them slightly diagonal when they are installed the handlebars on the bikes will nest and you can load several bikes quite close together.

Here's a picture of a Bike Tight for reference.

« Last Edit: 05/08/03 05:55 AM by TXAVy » Logged

smigdiggler

former Avy Addict

WWW Awards
« Reply #123 on: 05/08/03 06:52 AM »

Those are exactly what I currently have bolted in my 94 gmc..all i need to do is remove them from the GMC and bolt them to my AVARACKALICIOUS  and I am on my way...

i guess all I will need is the crossbar and mounts...no bike tights...

SMiG

TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #124 on: 05/08/03 07:58 AM »

Quick question for someone with an '02. What color are the grab-handles in the back corners of the bed? Are they black, dark grey, or a light grey that matches the cladding color on that year AV?

The texture on the grab handles is the texture that I'm going to have them powder coated in unless someone has a special request.

gpventures

Awards
« Reply #125 on: 05/08/03 08:07 AM »

The grab handles on a 2002 are BLACK.

woodman

Awards
« Reply #126 on: 05/08/03 05:45 PM »

Quick question for someone with an '02. What color are the grab-handles in the back corners of the bed? Are they black, dark grey, or a light grey that matches the cladding color on that year AV?

The texture on the grab handles is the texture that I'm going to have them powder coated in unless someone has a special request.

that texture and color sounds great to me

2002 pewter Z66 w/ custom beige and graphite leather. 20"epic claws on 295/50r20 falkens,  billet grille&bowtie,indiglo
gauges,amber DRL's,silverstars,Audiovox dvd/vcp player w/7'monitors in headrests...I love my moneypit
mpd221
« Reply #127 on: 05/09/03 03:34 AM »

Please mark me down as interested in ordering one in black.
suthrncop66

Awards
« Reply #128 on: 05/09/03 11:50 AM »

might be interested in black... waitin for pics

'02 2500  updated mods, down to a 6 inch Fabtech lift with 37 inch Coopers, remote resevoir shocks, Warn 9000i, on a Stealth Off-Road, Sony HU, Hifonics Zeus 1600 watt amp, Hifonics Europa 400 watt amp, US Amps 800 watt amp, Kove 10 inch subs in midgate box, Hummer rims with BFG All Terrains, Suurco Roof Rack, Ram Air hood with intake, Crane Programmer, Maglight Mod, Rear Bumper cupholder.
Y-Guy

Awards
« Reply #129 on: 05/09/03 01:16 PM »

Tx do you have measurements between the bars?  I was going to check the Yakima racks and some specifications to see if they will work but the measurement between the front and back is key.  I've read through the pages here but might have missed it if it was already posted.

TIA
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #130 on: 05/10/03 01:33 AM »

Y-Guy,

I'd thought of that front-back measurement issue as well and here's where it stands right now.

The distance between the center of the front and back crossbars is about 42". This just happens to be just about exactly the same as the measurement from my front fork skewer to the center of the contact patch of the back tire on my Specialized FSR. Coincidentally I didn't have to pick that number, as that's the distance between the stock mounting hardware that's already on your truck, but it's the number I would have picked anyway. So the good news is that unless the bike you want to mount is significantly longer or shorter than a standard Mtn Bike, it should be supported really well.

But, for certain Yakima, Thule, GM, etc. equipment I understand that the issue will be that it expects a certain distance already. My plan right now is to offer an offset mount that you can put on one or both of the crossbars to allow you to mount gear to it so that the front and back pieces will be somewhat more or less than 42" apart.  It will be easy to offer +-4" or so offset.

I currently have a very simple bracket designed and ready to be fabbed right behind the racks that should allow everyone to place mounting points for different equipment all over their racks without leaving lots of different holes that might induce rust inside the steel crossbars. All mounting bolts/nuts would be stainless steel and be on the front/back of the crossbars as well so that clearance below the bar to remove the bedcovers while installed won't be compromised.

Lastly, I also have added another bike mount supplier that solves both the front and rear wheel mounting questions. I can now get mounts from Delta Cycle and pass them on to you for cost. Their models include a locking fork clamp and a back tire clamp as well. The parts will be what's shown in their Thule/Yakima BikeKit.

Maverick
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #131 on: 05/14/03 04:57 PM »

TXAVy,

Anything new to report?

TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #132 on: 05/15/03 12:35 AM »

"Supposed" to get the call from the metal shop today or tomorrow to go down and do final fit for measurement on the crossbars. They did say that they already have the steel for the crossbars though and making them involves only 2 cuts and 2 slots so that should probably happen while I'm right there at the shop. As long as they stick to their current schedule (as I said before, I can't promise for them) I expect to have pics up by early next week at the latest.

ygmn
Administrator

Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .

Awards
« Reply #133 on: 05/15/03 05:04 AM »

Engineering questions:

How about side load......the brackets are all thin in the same plane...so what happens if you push sideways on a loaded rack?.....

My concern would be the vertical metal tabs bending and in the front also bending the horizontal portion and then forcing drain to un clip.......
In the back my concern would be the thing bendin over to one side and then making removing the covers a drag.............

The concept and planning which I have just read in entirety...looks awesom......but the side stability is an issue for me since 3/16" steel about 2" wide does not offer much moment of inertia against bending.....

All I am saying is mount the prototype and load up the rack with something at the weight limit and then puch on it and maybe bounce it sideways to see how the rack reacts......

if wobbly maybe a side stiffener on the rear mounts since there seems to be space would fix it.....heck maybe a redesign of the entire rear bracker....so it is beefier and includes it own hand hold so the stock on gets replaces......

I love the premise and would love to see close up look ....DAYUM DAVE why did you not show me this while I was in DALLAS last week......

Also the cross bars what are they and what material and what span....I could do some wuick engineering calcs to see what point load in center they can handle.........and if a possible material change could lessen costs.......

Any more pics?

Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #134 on: 05/15/03 08:44 AM »

Thanks for the interest and questions YGMN. I wish I could have made the "meet-me" GTG here in Dallas when you were in town. I'd love to have shown you what I have so far.

I'll see if I can answer some of your questions here though and hopefully someone in your area will buy one, you'll have another trip through town, or perhaps the finished product pics will satisfy the rest of your curiosity. See below for answers.

How about side load......the brackets are all thin in the same plane...so what happens if you push sideways on a loaded rack?.....

The concept and planning which I have just read in entirety...looks awesom......but the side stability is an issue for me since 3/16" steel about 2" wide does not offer much moment of inertia against bending.....

I don't have any concerete numbers on how much side force will be required to bend the tabs on the brackets (YET), but I can tell you that I had exactly the same concern which is why I spent the extra money to have the shop make the brackets out of 3/16" steel instead of the 11-Guage that my initial prototype was made of. That added over 50% to the thickness. Even with the brackets at 11-Guage it took a pretty hard shove that moved the entire rear end of the AV to get one to bend. Multiply that by 4 once you have the entire rack mounted and the strength climbs pretty fast compared to the weights that we SHOULD be loading on this. Thankfully it looks like all 4 brackets screw into some fairly solid steel below. I want to take some cladding off to get a really good picture of where they're going to be loading the truck though.

You're absolutely right that the moment of inertia against bending of a flat sheet is not much especially compared to an angle, beam, or tube of some kind, but it is strengthened by the fact that there are 3 bends within roughly 1-1/2" of each other (the process of being bent strengthens the steel), and also because the lever arm for that bending inertia is less than 2" long.

My bar napkin math tells me this. Let me know if you see any mistakes although I think my "engineering" is pretty good so far. Smiley

- Start with the heaviest load we're likely to have mounted on the rack. The load limit of cargo baskets is around 250# so we'll be safe and say 300#.
- Then divide that by 4 as each of the brackets has the same cross sectional area (~75# per bracket)
- And lastly keep in mind that the AV is never going to get ANYWHERE near 1.0G sideways acceleration.

I'm figuring that the maximum sideways moment inertia that the brackets will have to withstand will be ~50# applied at a distance of 2" from the probable bend location when pulling 0.66G sideways acceleration with a distributed load of 250# on the rack. (Which would probably be a pretty dangerous maneuver even WITHOUT weight loaded high of your Center of Gravity on top of your vehicle.) As with all racks of this type, point load capacity will be lower than distributed load capacity.

Am I sounding like 11-H yet? Tongue

All I am saying is mount the prototype and load up the rack with something at the weight limit and then puch on it and maybe bounce it sideways to see how the rack reacts......

if wobbly maybe a side stiffener on the rear mounts since there seems to be space would fix it.....heck maybe a redesign of the entire rear bracker....so it is beefier and includes it own hand hold so the stock on gets replaces......

I'll beat the crap out of it and take pictures/movies for you all to enjoy. Smiley Redesigning the entire rear hand-hold is likely the way this "should" be done if it were being offered by the General. But it would be a lot more expensive for me to do and wouldn't buy me very much I don't think.

Also the cross bars what are they and what material and what span....I could do some wuick engineering calcs to see what point load in center they can handle.........and if a possible material change could lessen costs.......

The crossbars are made of 1-1/2" 14-Guage (~5/64" thick) Steel Square Tube and span ~51" between the mounting brackets on both the front and the back. I did a lot of research into Yakima, Thule, and GM trying to pick a crossbar that would accomodate some of their accessories as well but found some bad news. First, Yakima uses round tube. Second, both of the others don't use square tube, they use a proprietary rectangular tube. For a short time I was convinced that GM crossbars were just outsourced and rebranded Thule equipment, but that wasn't the case. Turns out that even they are slightly different dimensions from each other. I'm convinced that they are all basically trying to preserve their market share by making their equipment as unique as possible and still be easy to work with. Couple that with the fact that Thule and Yakima both make adapters so that their gear will fit on the other guy's crossbars and you understand the mess I was looking at.

My final decision was to use a size that is both strong and easy to acquire, and allows me to keep the corner brackets as large and stiff as possible and also accomodate the lock cylinders in the ends that make install/deinstall a "click", literally. The mounting options then are to simply drill right into the crossbars themselves, or use a clamping mount-point that you can move back and forth across the bar for different configurations without drilling holes in the crossbar that would invite corrosion from the inside out (though I think it would probably take a LONG time to rust through 14-Guage Steel.

Any more pics?

Soon young grasshopper, very soon. Smiley Should be complete pics of the Test unit by early next week, but as always I can't promise since it isn't me building them and we don't have a production run of several sets in so it takes back seat to large project customers.

ygmn
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #135 on: 05/15/03 09:44 AM »

I am interested.......Curious to see one up close to see if it will do the things I want it to do......

Let us know....I think you have one of the best ideas yet here......it will also allow for tieing things down to the top of covers when required.....maybe a little eye welded on the rear ones will help for this.....not sure if you have room on front with drain thingy up there and all.....

I bet the bed will look cool with a thule or yakima cargo box up on top.......

Awaiting like the rest.................. Grin

CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #136 on: 05/15/03 10:07 AM »

it will also allow for tieing things down to the top of covers when required.....maybe a little eye welded on the rear ones will help for this.....not sure if you have room on front with drain thingy up there and all.....

All 4 brackets will have a round-ish hole in them at the top which the lock cylinder slides through when attaching the crossbars, so you'll already have the place to attach your tie-downs or bunee cords if you like.

Updates and pictures for you all as soon as I have them, I promise.

BIGG_LEE

Awards
« Reply #137 on: 05/15/03 12:05 PM »

Will you have a version that will take say Q-towers? This way we can use the brackets that are strong. And if we want we could just buy the Q-towers to fit the Yakima/Thule stuff on the market?

TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #138 on: 05/15/03 04:42 PM »

I guess you'll need to ellaborate on that a bit so that I can understand what you're referring to. The corner brackets I've made and the Q-Towers both do the same job. They attach to the vehicle and provide an anchor point for the crossbars. The Q-Towers clip to the edge of your bed covers though, whereas my brackets use stock bolts under the corner hand grabs and front drain covers.

What I AM going to do though (soon as someone brings me a Yakima accessory or sends me pics/dimensions) is provide a movable mounting clamp which provides a mounting surface that can be relocated wherever you like on the crossbar without drilling several holes in it. That SHOULD allow you to mount many other accessories. I just need to see the Yakima/Thule mounting requirements so that I can see exactly what the top of that bracket needs to look like.

If anyone who has Yakima/Thule gear they want to mount can ante up the info I'll work on that next. I've had several offers but no one has come through yet.

BIGG_LEE

Awards
« Reply #139 on: 05/16/03 03:14 AM »

This is exactly what I was asking. It's very difficult to plan for your brackets since we have not seen anthing besides the coated ones you displayed. I need to have the functionality of the Thule/Yakima accesories when I purchase your adapters. If this bracket turns out to be a single use, no modification to accept Thule parts, it will not work for me. The only reason why I am waiting for your solution rather than using the Q-30 clips and the Q-Towers in the strength of your brackets seems better.

You also have the best position over the bed covers than anyone else i have seen. But if your solution doesn't work with other aftermarket parts, it will not work for me. (repeat)

That is basically why I am trying to figure out what you are doing. Maybe you have a place near you where they sell Thule/Yakima parts. You can go check this place out since no one has responded to your requests to send their parts to you for final fab. I would send if I had them in a second. But I am waiting for your solution before I buy anything.
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #140 on: 05/16/03 03:57 AM »

If you already have any Thule/Yakima accessories and can send me pictures/dimensions/mounting instructions that would help a LOT.

I've already tried going to dealers that sell their stuff and they're in general pretty stingy about letting me open boxes and measure parts then give them back the opened packages. I don't know of a place nearby that has a lot of stuff on display.

TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #141 on: 05/20/03 05:09 AM »

TEASER UPDATE: I got to look at the finished Test Set brackets yesterday and mounted them to get final dimensions for the crossbars which were the last piece to be cut.

If there is one word that can describe the corner brackets it's "BEEFY"! They look like freakin' suspension components! Smiley At 3/16" they appear much thicker than I had imagined. It's always different  to see it in person instead of staring at a tape measure.

I think those concerned with side loads (ygmn, myself, etc.) will be very pleased. While the rear brackets were mounted I shoved as hard as I could by hand and could not get them to bend whatsoever. They flexed slightly, but no bending. Meanwhile the rear end of the AV was rocking back and forth all over the place.   I'll have to get my hands on a linear pull scale (like what's used to weigh fish) to see how hard I can pull on them before they bend at all but I'm going to guess that it's WELL above what I guessed.

Any results from your "quick engineering calcs" ygmn? I'm curious how that turned out though I'm going to ask the shop the same question.

Pics should be updated later tonight, but I might wait for it to stop raining so that I don't get them starting to rust before they're painted.

More info and pics coming in the next update!
« Last Edit: 05/20/03 05:14 AM by TXAVy » Logged

ygmn
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #142 on: 05/20/03 05:54 AM »

ok

M = PL/4 = 250lbs * 51" /4 = 3188in-lbs moment

S of cross member  = ((bh^3)/12 - (bihi^3)/12)*2/h = .2 in^3

Fb = M/s = 15921 PSI

per AISC ASD Fb< .6Fy Guestimate A36 steel so Fb = .6*36000 = 21600PSI

THEREFORE MAX load is 338 pounds per cross member.

Good choice of material on tubes.....they could be Aluminum if 6061 T6 or other aircraft quality extrusion.....

CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
n8wrl

Awards
« Reply #143 on: 05/20/03 05:58 AM »

This sounds very interesting - pending pix I could very well be in for black! Should look nice! It should also be a good way for me to mount some of the amateur radio antennas I have planned!

Hers: 2003 Z66 Summit White
His: 2003 Z66 Yellow
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #144 on: 05/20/03 05:48 PM »

PICTURES!!!

For all of you who have waited so patiently, here are the pictures of the finished test set. Obviously they are not painted yet. I'll post answers to questions as quickly as I can. Perhaps it will be best once we start a production run to summarize everything in a new thread. I'll decide that soon. For now though, here's the goodies. Enjoy.

Both front and rear finished brackets.

Rear bracket closeup. For size reference, that is a stack of THREE quarters next to the base plate.

All brackets and crossbars mounted. The profile is intentionally very low to the bed covers, but there is room to unlock and remove them by sliding backwards without hitting the bottom of the crossbar.

Angle shot of the same install. You can see the lock cylinder in the end of the rear bracket here. All four lock cylinders are keyed alike so that you only need 1 key to install/remove the rack.

Closeup of the rear bracket mounted below hand grab with crossbar installed.

Closeup of the front bracket mounted below drain cover with crossbar installed. Note, I was unable to use the stock screws here. Because of the thickness of the metal they were only grabbing a couple threads which I didn't feel was enough. The new corrosion resistant screws and washers will be included in the kit and fit the stock holes so there is still no drilling required.

Y-Guy

Awards
« Reply #145 on: 05/20/03 06:23 PM »

Looks great!  You can still silde the covers off right?  Nice tight finish from what I can see, as long as they don't sag and rub on the bed it looks like a sweet setup.
woodman

Awards
« Reply #146 on: 05/20/03 07:20 PM »

o.k texavy. looks awesome. have you come up with a definitive price yet. i was going to do this myself, but why? the setup you have is great!
i've been following this post, but haven't seen one that mentions what the best  type of basket will fit on the crossbars. any suggestions? c-ya

Dungar

Awards
« Reply #147 on: 05/20/03 11:34 PM »

TXAVY
Pics look great
Count me in for the first production run.
I would just like to see finished pics, price and lead time.
I can not wait I have been holding off on installing a Yakima or Thule system on the roof.
pdxkevin

WWW Awards
« Reply #148 on: 05/20/03 11:54 PM »

Sweet ! ! !

Is there enough clearance in the front to place a basket/rack on top without getting too close to the rear window?

teking
Charter Member

WWW Awards
« Reply #149 on: 05/21/03 12:16 AM »

Yep.  I'll buy one!!! Even though I've already indicated so before the pictures were posted :-P

6.0L 345HP AWD
10-Way seats, HID lamps, Auto Leveling, Ultrasonic Parking Assist, Stabilitrak, Rear Audio, Chrome Rims, On-board Driver Information Center, Sunroof, Tow Package
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #150 on: 05/21/03 02:54 AM »

Some Answers:

Y-Guy: The bed covers are able to be removed with the crossbars mounted. The #1 and #3 cover slide backwards once released to clear the crossbar before lifting. The #2 cover lifts straight off. I'll get a picture of myself standing on top of one of the crossbars so you can see how much it does or doesn't sag.

woodman: As far as cargo baskets go I haven't had anyone who has one (Yakima/Thule or otherwise) send me dimensions yet so I'm not sure. My current opinion though is that all it would take is a couple of lengthwise crossbars to meet the mounting requirements of just about anything you like. So pick the rack that you like best and let me know what the mounting requirements are and I'll help you solve the mounting problem. This is a bike rack first and foremost, but I'm definately willing to help people make it do whatever else they'd like to with it. Also I finally solidified prices yesterday so good timing on your question about that.

Base Rack - $250 (including powder coating)
(Includes 4 corner brackets, 2 crossbars, 4 end caps, 4 lock cylinders, and all mounting hardware and protective neoprene bumpers. NOTE: Powder coating can be deleted for a savings of $30 but I don't expect that to happen very often.)
Accessories
Delta Cycle kit for front/rear bike mounts - $40 per bike.
Bike Tights for front fork mount only - $15 per bike.

Other work quoted as necessary.

FIRST RUN Special - 25% off ($187.50 Base Rack)
(As a thanks for those of you who stuck with me on this thread and helped to keep the project rolling.
Not sure yet on the end date for the First Run Special, but when it does end I'll use the prices below.)

CAFCNA Member Special - 10% off ($225 Base Rack)
CAFCNA Supporting Member Special - 15% off ($212.50 Base Rack)
(I don't want to discuss the status of Supporting Membership in the club right now, that's for Chief and others to do. But at the very least you'll get back a pretty good chunk of the money it cost you to become one from this deal alone regardless of what happens with your money.)
All Discounts apply to both rack and accessories. I just posted the base rack price to give you an idea of how much is being saved.

Dungar: Pics posted above are as "Finished" as they're going to get until the First Production Run is done. That's one of the many reasons for offering a nicer discount for those that order the rack on the first run. It isn't worth it to me to spend another $150 to powder coat a single set just for pictures. The price of powder coating comes down to $30 when doing a group of racks all together at once in the same color. Black and '02 Cladding Grey have been pretty popular colors so far. The texture will pretty closely match the corner hand grabs on the AV. Price is listed above. I'll call the metal and paint shops and ask what kind of lead times they will have on a run of 10-15 kits and post that info here. What color would you like or would you prefer to wait for the first run to be finished and see those pics first?

pdxkevin: The crossbars are 42" apart (pretty wide compared to most roof racks) and there is enough space in front for a bike's back tire to rest on the front crossbar and just barely touch the sail panel. So without having a basket to test with yet (though I'll call someone here and see if I can't remedy that) I'd have to say there is plenty of room to mount a basket without getting "too close". As always, the standard disclaimer for liability reasons will apply that this is a bike rack and you shouldn't mount anything to it that could travel through your back window should you come to a sudden stop. At your own risk though you can of course do whatever you like. I'm sure that the engineering numbers should help you to be pretty comfortable with that idea. Smiley

teking: Thanks. Have you decided on a color that you'd probaby prefer? Black looks like the front runner currently with '02 Cladding Grey coming up second. Depending on how many people who were on the fence decide to jump in on this order we might be able to do both colors on the first run. Even if we don't have enough takers on '02 Grey to make the first run I'll still honor the first run pricing for those people who prefer that to black as a second choice. I'll just have to do a little campaigning to find a few more takers on that color before starting the run and I won't collect money until I have everyone I need to get started.
« Last Edit: 05/21/03 02:56 AM by TXAVy » Logged

teking
Charter Member

WWW Awards
« Reply #151 on: 05/21/03 03:25 AM »

Black!!!  I like Black!

6.0L 345HP AWD
Dungar

Awards
« Reply #152 on: 05/21/03 03:59 AM »

Black or 03 Cladding would be my choice.  A question about the bike mounts though would they just come with the kit or would you mount them.  If mounted what spacing where you planning on using?  Do you plan on having the fork mount on the rear support or the front support.  Would that even make a differnce.   The reason the questin for the lead time is Im going on a vacation in 3 weeks and would love to have this mounted.  Either way I would be in for the first run.  If 02 Cladding is the choice for the first run I may wait for another run though.
Rewbob

Bought mine 12/28/02

Awards
« Reply #153 on: 05/21/03 04:13 AM »

I want one in black!  What's up with the sliding clamp mounts?  Is that still a planned accessory?  If so, how much?

Thanks for all your hard work!
ygmn
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #154 on: 05/21/03 04:41 AM »

TXAVY...have you taken the covers off with them in place....

cause on mine I cannot slide the 1 or 2 panel all the way I have to pick them up when they near the clip down points........

Looks real good I might of wanted a bit more room betweeb covers anbd cross bars for all themm adapter thingys we are gonns attche to the bars.....in the pics it seems only about 1/2" clearance....and the pics you show of the bolt on bike holder thingys seems they need more room..

CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
ygmn
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #155 on: 05/21/03 04:45 AM »

Just realized I missed an entire page so disregard panel removal.....

but comment on how them thingys attach to the cross bar and not hit the cargo covers underneath...

THANKS..

ALSO check PMS about them calcs...

CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
n8wrl

Awards
« Reply #156 on: 05/21/03 04:48 AM »

Put me down for a first-run in black. Do you have a paypal account? That's a really easy way to get you the $$

Hers: 2003 Z66 Summit White
His: 2003 Z66 Yellow
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #157 on: 05/21/03 05:44 AM »

MORE ANSWERS:

teking: Gotcha! Smiley

Dungar: Bike mounts would come with the kit. People have too many different wishes (2 bikes, 3 bikes, 5 bikes) for me to try to do it ahead of time and please everyone. I'll include mounting instructions and tips as much as possible though. This is why the "accessories" section is so open ended currently. If someone is tool-shy I will do the mounting for them as custom work long as they supply details on how they'd like it done. I personally will be mounting my fork mounts on the rear bar (so that they can be reached while standing behind the AV) and at a slight angle so that handlebars on adjacent bikes will nest instead of strike each other.

Rewbob: Sliding clamp mounts will work well for people who want to reconfigure their rack often and likely for those who want to mount lots of different Thule/Yakima/GM gear. Soon as I have the details on the requirements for those accessories (anyone have some they can send me?) I'll post a price. For now I have plans already drawn up for an offset mount that adds some flexibility and stand-off height that I'm going to go with. It's the most simple and flexible design that I've come up with so far. It will come with plugs to cover the mounting holes when/if you move it to a different position to keep the crossbar from rusting on the inside. These are very simple and should be ready before the first run.

ygmn: There is almost 1/2" clearance between the bottom of the crossbar and the top of the bed panels AFTER you lift them up high enough to clear their own mounting plates. But all of the "thingies" bolted to the bar will be either bolted with a round headed carriage bolt (smooth side down) or on a stand-off bracket which only bolts to the sides of the crossbar and does not extend below it. I too was worried about scratching the bed covers so I didn't want to get too much hardware sticking out down there. I also didn't make the corner brackets taller for a couple reasons. First, the corner brackets stay on your truck when the crossbars are not and offer a place for people to snag other things or themselves on as well as being a visual detraction if they stick out too far. Second, the taller the corner brackets the more bending moment the base will have to withstand as the crossbars put a side load on them. And as you mentioned they're all "thin" in the same plane so I wanted to avoid that as much as possible.

n8wrl: There is a PayPal account that I'll be accepting payments at. I don't want to start taking money too early though and end up with people who are out of pocket for too long before they receive their rack. I would like to get the first production run in by next week though if that works out for everyone buying and constructing them. If the lead times look good I'll probably start accepting payments on them early next week.
« Last Edit: 05/21/03 05:47 AM by TXAVy » Logged

jackalanche
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #158 on: 05/21/03 06:01 AM »

Looks fantastic, and we all know it is well thought out.

I am still in line for one, black, please advise your faithful list when you will start accepting payments (paypal would seem the logical choice)

gojira-san

Awards
« Reply #159 on: 05/21/03 06:29 AM »

I will take a first run unit. I have thought about the colors and will take a 02 cladding grey as first choice but will take black if that is the only color in the run.

Former owner of 2002 Indigo Blue AV 1500 4x4 Z71.
2006 Pontiac GTO
2011 Cruze Eco
ygmn
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #160 on: 05/21/03 08:27 AM »

I succomb to the awesome & well thought out design and throw my name in the hat for buying first run version what ever coating you choose black.........

TXAVY start a new thread with relavent info....pics, prices, pics of the kit thingys...etc etc etc and a link to this thread....title the new one GROUP BUY......blah blah blah rack......I will make sticky.......this way you can have it the final proposal in one place for all to see and read and well comment on placing orders..

CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
Hernz Av
Charter Member

WWW Awards
« Reply #161 on: 05/21/03 12:05 PM »

TX, Add me to your list. Not sure what color. I have a black basket but was thinking about gettting it powder coated 02 gray. I will be home this weekend if you have time we can try to get together again.

George
02 Avalanche Indigo Blue
1500 2WD
Built 9/01 Bought 10/01
Olathe, KS (KCK)
66 Chevelle SS 396
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #162 on: 05/21/03 12:36 PM »

Thanks for the offer Hernz. We're gonna have to do it early next week or next weekend though. I'm spending the weekend in Little Rock with my family and sister who's due to deliver on Monday. I am making some calls around right now though to see if there's a chance I can get a run of racks started before the weekend. That would at least let them order any materials that they'd need before the holiday weekend.

Y-Guy

Awards
« Reply #163 on: 05/21/03 03:02 PM »

TXAVy many congrats hope you feel good about the project coming together, the racks look great and you've been top knotch about keeping us all informed during this whole process.  I hope you have a great weekend to relax and enjoy yoursef!  
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #164 on: 05/22/03 06:13 AM »

Sorry it's takin' a bit to put the new post together. Trying to wrap up everything for the holiday weekend with work and packing to go to Little Rock and my sister there just went into the hospital to have HER son! If she has it before midnight he'll be exactly a month younger than my son to the day. love That sure will make things easy to remember.

I did check with both the metal fab and powder coating vendors though and it looks like lead time will be about 2-3 weeks. I'm going to see if I can get the Paypal business running and get the first production order in before close of business tomorrow though so that they can at least order the materials they need before the weekend. That will cut lead time by a bit. I'll let you all know.

YGMN, I'm planning on making the Group Buy post have a summary of all the important info including how to order with all the nitty-gritty details on a web page. Should I put the link back to this thread for continued discussion/questions or is this thread long enough that it should be locked down and I make a new thread for that too? If so the new ones will be "Group Buy - (rack thingie name)" and "Questions about (rack thingie name)". Lemme know and I'll get the new post up.

Flix
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #165 on: 05/22/03 06:55 AM »

TXAVy,

You've done a terrific job in telling and posting pic's of the nice rack. I hate to see you spending alot more time in describing the detail. If possible, you may want to post 1 or 2 pic's with a brief description and refer to this thread for detail. Like others, I've anxiously waiting for your rack. If I can get in the first production run, the rack would be a great help in our upcoming trip in late June. Will the bike attachments be shipped with the first production run?

Pete
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #166 on: 05/22/03 07:13 AM »

Thanks Flix, that's what I'm leaning towards.

Yup, the bike attachments will ship with the first run. You'll just have to let me know how many and which type you'd like when you order. I'll put details for that on the new post. PayPal orders should include Rack color (first and second choice), Number and type of bike mounts, and probably number of stand-off mounts as long as I can get those done tonight.

Dungar

Awards
« Reply #167 on: 05/22/03 07:24 AM »

TXAVy

Will black or 03 cladding be one of the colors being run for the first production.  If so and if there is room I would like in on the first run with some bike mounts.  

I'm just prayng I have them before my trip if not I will have to make do and it will give me something to look foward to when I come home.

Great Job

I can not wait!!!!!!!!!
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #168 on: 05/22/03 07:35 AM »

Black will certainly be in the first run. There might be enough to run '02 Cladding as well. There have only been 1 or 2 requests for '03 cladding match so far though.

ygmn
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #169 on: 05/22/03 07:46 AM »

TXAVY  check to see if you have PMS Grin  I love saying that..

Just cut and paste from this thread the and make a short and sweet one....this puppy is over 15 pages and takes newbies some time to scroll through and all of it is not relavent any more....

Good Luck and tell me or another mod when you have it done....

CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #170 on: 05/22/03 06:24 PM »

New thread is posted here.

GROUP BUY - Custom AV Bed Rack.

Please continue discussion, questions, or comments on the new thread. Please keep all purchase details in either E-mails (subject: Custom AV Bed Rack) or PayPal messages to the account address mentioned in the payment section and thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: 05/22/03 06:24 PM by TXAVy » Logged

crott

This vehicle rocks!

Awards
« Reply #171 on: 01/03/03 11:29 PM »

I just bought a 2500 Av (not for hauling 20 lb bicycles), and would like to know if anyone has figured out a simple way to haul bikes on the bed covers (seems like a natural).

2003 dark gray 4X4 2500.
planetav

WWW Awards
« Reply #172 on: 01/03/03 11:57 PM »

I just bought a 2500 Av (not for hauling 20 lb bicycles), and would like to know if anyone has figured out a simple way to haul bikes on the bed covers (seems like a natural).

Hey Crott,

Welcome Aboard...

Actually I have done this several times not as much as I want to ride my bike,

I have tried several ways to do it. With one of the panels out, I think that works the best.

Now of course I have a Bike Carrier from GM...

Maybe someone else might have a better idea..

this is just my 02 cents

PUNISHER

Awards
« Reply #173 on: 01/04/03 12:38 AM »

i know a guy who drilled through his fiberglass tonneau cover and has  never had any problems.  we both have Cannondale mountain bikes.  i have a F2000 that i upgraded and now weighs about 21-23lbs. Huh  he has a F900 i think that weighs a bit more.  never heard him complain.  the AV's panels are sturdier than a tonneau cover.  i can not remember the last time i walked across a tonneau cover, not.  the only thing i would be concerned with is drilling the hard panel, mounting a fork lock device, and still be able to put it in the storage bag.  you could mod the bag to fit too.  just a thought.  hope this helps. chevy

AVALANCHE PICS
-traded 02 Z-66 for an 04 DBM Z-71
-traded 04 DBM Z-71 for a Lexus IS250
GTG's-DE, VA, TX, GA, MD, SC
NJAV
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #174 on: 01/04/03 12:44 AM »

I was using the one panel method stated previously during the summer and it was fine for a temporary fix...but I later purchased a hitch carrier for permanent use... chevy
endeavorc
Charter Member

Ohio Avalanches

WWW Awards
« Reply #175 on: 01/04/03 02:27 AM »

Hitch mount rack here, wouldn't trust my bikes being on any other way than a proper rack.

I do know that someone fabricated mounts that go around and under the hard panes and a crossbar setup that would accept bikes. It looked like a pretty nice setup. I would do a search for rack or carrier possibly.

E
crott

This vehicle rocks!

Awards
« Reply #176 on: 01/04/03 03:53 AM »

I appreciate all the feedback.  I'm currently using a hitch rack, but when pulling a trailer, I would prefer not to use the extensions available to make room for the hith-mounted racks.  I want to avoid roof-mounted racks - it seems it's just a matter of time before clipping a bike.  I had been considering the idea of mounting fork holders in the first panel, but wasn't sure it would hold up for cyclic sideways loading (from crosswinds).  Thought about reinforcing top & bottom around mounts.  Anyhow, regarding the fabricated mounts referenced by NJAV - do you have a photo (searches haven't turned up anything yet for racks built just for the Av)?
By the way, an idea waiting for someone to make for Av owners may be the expandable pickup bed racks (using turnbuckle type arrangement) that have ends made to go in the "window" of the aero bars.  I may end up modifying one of those if I decide that's the most logical AND if I don't find a simpler setup.
Thanks again for the replies.

2003 dark gray 4X4 2500.
Chief
Charter Member

Go team Venture!!!

WWW Awards
« Reply #177 on: 01/04/03 07:39 AM »

I personally have not done this but I did see an Avalanche in Modesto, California over the summer that had Thule fork attachments hard mounted to the number one cargo panel.  I would guess because of the narrow front aspect of the bike, shielding from the cab, and the overall strength of the panels that torque forces aren't an issue.  The fork mounts were not complex of very noticable.  HOWEVER if you do that keep in mind you can't buy just one panel - you have to buy all three and they are very expensive.  So doing this install is probably a one way ticket!

2002 Z-71, Indigo blue, Graphite leather - purchased 12/21/01 traded in 04/13/05

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GT, Galaxy silver, gray leather - purchased 4/13/05 traded in 05/23/09 - second fastest stock L67 powered Grand Prix in North America

2009 Pontiac G8 GT, White Hot, Onyx Leather, Sunroof, 35% tint, bass bias mod, 1/2 washer exhaust mod, 91 Octane Superchips Cortex tune

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport SWB, graphite, gray cloth, bone stock winter beater
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #178 on: 01/04/03 08:05 AM »

I've been tinkering with ideas about how to mount a bike up there for a while now. Mounting fork clamps through the #1 panel was my original idea. I think the panel would hold ok especially if you put a 2"x4" or so metal plate on both sides, but it would be pretty hard to reach the fork locks from the ground when loading or unloading the bikes.

Currently I'm trying to figure out a way of making a metal plate that will mount to the back corners of the truck by removing the hand grab, insert the plate below it, then replace the hand-grab with the Torx screws going right through the new plate. That plate would then have a small vertical section that sticks up inside the hand grab that would allow you to mount a standard expanding "shower curtain" type mounting rod there (I think same as the expandable pickup bed rod mentioned above). Bolt a couple Fork locks to that rod and you're all set.

For the back tire I'm going to first see if it will just sit in the area between the flying buttresses without jumping back and forth too much. If that doesn't work I'll try to figure out a way to attach a bunji to each sail panel and pass it through the back tires of however many bikes are up there. Would still be a little hard to reach though.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I'm currently planning on using something like one of these Save-A-Load cargo bracing bars with the bike carrier attachments on it and brace it between two brackets similar to those on the back of SpyderB's truck in the other thread. A friend of mine has one so I'm going to take a close look at it before I go ahead with that though. Also I plan on making the rear bracket larger so that it is secured by more than one bolt under the hand grab and I won't need to drill back there.

« Last Edit: 01/04/03 08:49 AM by TXAVy » Logged

crott

This vehicle rocks!

Awards
« Reply #179 on: 01/04/03 10:00 AM »

I LIKE spyderb's installation - but just too permanent for me.  However, I sure picked up a couple ideas for mounting something a little more low profile.  Great job, spyderb!
I have just about convinced myself that I will bolt a Traps triple track to the #1 cover (Nashbar carries them for ~ $70), but after reading the posts, I'm going to kick around an adaptation of spyderb & TXAVy style.  One nice thing about the Traps track is that the fork mounts can be easily and quickly removed (and since it's an Avalanche, there's a handy storage bin for them when not in use).  The Traps track hopefully will not interfere with the operation of the front cover, and should look good as well, since it comes in black.  That said, an appealing feature of mounting the forks on the back is that the rear wheels on the bike can't go too far, even if they come "un-bungeed".
Thanks for the ideas!

2003 dark gray 4X4 2500.
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #180 on: 01/04/03 05:38 PM »

That said, an appealing feature of mounting the forks on the back is that the rear wheels on the bike can't go too far, even if they come "un-bungeed".

Hmm... just thought of a "gotcha" to my reverse mounted bikes idea as I was reading your post. The sail panels should keep the bike's back tire from sliding sideways off the top of the bed covers, but what's to stop the bike from flipping over completely? Granted, that may take a huge gust, but driving at 70 with the wind blasting the underside of the bike seat I wouldn't rule it out completely (another good reason to remove the seat before mounting this way). Depending on how long your bike is the back tire MIGHT actually be under the top of the sail panel and not able to flip up, but that's worth checking ahead of time. Better to be safe than to have a bike flip over and plant it's handle-bars firmly in the back of my tailgate.

On another note, operating fasteners of some type near the back window won't be as hard as I first thought. Instead of trying to reach them while standing beside the AV and reaching through the sail panels, I'll just hop into the back seat and momentarily remove back window!  Grin

crott

This vehicle rocks!

Awards
« Reply #181 on: 01/05/03 01:17 AM »

Good thought in the bike flipping over.  Have to admit, that thought fleeting through, but didn't "stick".  Probably because we have hauled bikes backwards in a pickup (lots less air over the bike, now that I think about it).  Good point about the back window - what a vehicle!  I was actually liking the idea of mounting the forks @ the rear - just roll the back tire forward and mount the fork from the ground.  As for the rear tire snugging up under the sail panel, it will work one bike at a time, but different frame sizes and types of bikes will sure mess that up.  Have to noodle that one for a while.  For the "Traps bar" method, one could lower the tailgate, set the bike on the covers, step on the covers, remove the front tire, mount bike on fork mount, then mount front tire on tire mount (Traps makes them for their rack).  Looks like maybe four bikes will fit (may have to angle the forks to get road bike bars to fit that close together).

Keep me posted on your thoughts/progress.  When I settle on a solution, I'll snap a couple pics & post.

2003 dark gray 4X4 2500.
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #182 on: 01/05/03 02:48 AM »

Have any links to take a look at the Traps Bar you mentioned? I did a quick Google search but didn't find anything.

EDIT: Aha! Found it. Here is a link to the Traps Triple Track 35 (35" long). And here's a pic with 4 fork clamps on it. I like how they're rotated on an angle. Should make mounting multiple bikes side-by-side a lot easier than trying to figure out a way to stagger the forward/backward position of the bikes.

Still tinkering with ideas. I'm going to try to get a look at a regular expandable pickup load bar today. Any idea who sells those? I could only find the hydraulic one called Save-A-Load.
« Last Edit: 01/05/03 03:44 AM by TXAVy » Logged

crott

This vehicle rocks!

Awards
« Reply #183 on: 01/05/03 06:35 AM »

Also in the Nashbar.com link you have, there is a section for Truck/SUV bike racks.  I'm having difficulty getting the link to work, but go to nashbar.com, click on category "car racks" (left side of page), then click "Truck/SUV Racks" in the middle of the page.  They have several different styles & brands of pickup "closet rod" type bars, including a nifty one that goes in the tailgate (probably not a great Avalanche application, though).  If you have a bike shop in your area, they usually carry a few of these items and most will gladly let you check it out on your vehicle.  Might be worth the while.  Another thing is that most of these folks have been hauling bikes for years and often are good thinkers who may just have that idea the will work great for the Av.

Good luck!

Just thought of something.  They also have single-track Traps bars, will save ~ $25.  Also check out the wheel holders for these guys @ Nashbar.
« Last Edit: 01/05/03 06:37 AM by crott » Logged

2003 dark gray 4X4 2500.
crott

This vehicle rocks!

Awards
« Reply #184 on: 01/05/03 06:44 AM »

Here's a picture of a Delta expandable rack.  I have in my head a similar thing for the Av, but with the flat rack bolted on the #1 bed cover.  Great way to transport front wheels, too!

[attachment deleted by admin larger then 100KB]

2003 dark gray 4X4 2500.
crott

This vehicle rocks!

Awards
« Reply #185 on: 03/30/03 02:45 PM »

I FINALLY installed a Saris triple track on my #1 bed cover.  Here's a picture with two bikes installed.  BTW, with the triple track, one can angle the forks and four or five bikes will fit this way on the Av.

[attachment deleted by admin larger then 100KB]

2003 dark gray 4X4 2500.
ygmn
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #186 on: 08/25/03 10:27 AM »

There now is the TXAVY bed rack...see mods section for linky thingy

CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
Skidd

Member # 1394

Awards
« Reply #187 on: 08/25/03 02:26 PM »

Crott, the question you are asking  has been covered namy times in many threads, you will find a lot of great advice, tips and ideas in these threads.  Using the serach funtion in the tool bar above has retuirned a lot of information and I will move this thread and it's contents into the one that seems best to answer your question directly.  that is a thread that mostly delas with the TXAVy developed mounting system.

However there are also a few other really good bits of information in some other threads, you should check those out as well... they are;

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?board=16;action=display;threadid=5757;start=0

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?board=16;action=display;threadid=6276;start=msg91159#msg91159

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?board=16;action=display;threadid=5811;start=msg82301#msg82301

HTH,

Skidd

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: