Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
07/24/14 10:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EVERYTHING Trailer Brake Controllers  (Read 155245 times)
Izee

Awards
« Reply #250 on: 10/11/09 07:54 PM »

I have new (2009) AV-LTZ 4X4, bought it 3 wks ago and installed a Hopkins Agility Electronic Brake Controller.  Did some heavy duty towing this weekend for the first time.  Had to wait for the 500 mile break-in.  Now that I have towed and loved the perfomance all around, it makes me even happier with my purchase.  It replaced an Expedition with a 5.4 lt.  Anyway my question is this:

Having trouble setting the desired percentage on the Brake controller cause as I step on the pedal, I only get a gradual increase on the digital read out.  The harder I step on the pedal the more stopping power I get.  I'm having no issues with stopping as I know how it feels when there's too much or too little brake control directed from the Brake Controller.  Just kinda want a warm fusy by someone telling me that an Agility Controller does just that (meaning low to high percentage readout) increasing the percentage on the controller the harder you press down the pedal.  Any help, advise or guidance would be greatly appreciated. 
hollywood Av
CAFCNA 2013 Premium Member

Awards
« Reply #251 on: 11/19/09 07:31 PM »

nickynutts,

My factory wires were clearly coded and shown in the owners manual.  Prodigy sent instructions with the controller which had the harness schematic so the connection was fairly simple or I just got lucky.  After confirming that everything worked I soldered and shrunk wrapped the pigtail connection under the dash.

Our character is what we do when we think no one is looking.

08 LT2 Black with Air Lift rear air bags, 5.3 Flex Fuel, Magnuson Supercharger, Borla Exh, K&N CAI, amber DRL's, illuminated door sills, Fiber Optic/LED taillights, 80W LED fog lights, Recon LED cab lights, Prodigy trailer brake controller, Black upper and lower grills, 20" Black Eagle Alloy wheels, 1.5" front lift, LED's under hood and inside bed box, Harley Davidson Black fuel door, 60/40 carpeted mid-gate platform.  And, a 2010 H-D FLHTCUI
cadboy1
CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #252 on: 11/20/09 04:13 PM »

I have new (2009) AV-LTZ 4X4, bought it 3 wks ago and installed a Hopkins Agility Electronic Brake Controller.  Did some heavy duty towing this weekend for the first time.  Had to wait for the 500 mile break-in.  Now that I have towed and loved the perfomance all around, it makes me even happier with my purchase.  It replaced an Expedition with a 5.4 lt.  Anyway my question is this:

Having trouble setting the desired percentage on the Brake controller cause as I step on the pedal, I only get a gradual increase on the digital read out.  The harder I step on the pedal the more stopping power I get.  I'm having no issues with stopping as I know how it feels when there's too much or too little brake control directed from the Brake Controller.  Just kinda want a warm fusy by someone telling me that an Agility Controller does just that (meaning low to high percentage readout) increasing the percentage on the controller the harder you press down the pedal.  Any help, advise or guidance would be greatly appreciated. 

Most modern controllers work like that. Its progressive and works just like you noticed, more pedal, more voltage.  Thumbs up!

04 AV 2500
01 Olds Aurora 4.0
07 Trailblazer SS AWD
bojangles

Awards
« Reply #253 on: 02/12/10 06:54 PM »

I'm going to install a Prodigy brake controller in my new '10 Avalanche.  Most sites that sell the brake controller state 'for  2003 and newer'  Will that brake controller work on my '10 Avalanche?  Thanks
gtrottier

got his new toy

Awards
« Reply #254 on: 06/02/10 06:07 PM »

I just bought a Tekonsha P3 controller for my 09 av. I have yet to receive it from the guy on e-bay. I think I had a good deal for 135 cad delivered. yes it is brand new....

I do not see a problem in your 10. Unfortunately, the recent avalanches do not come with a plug in ready to receive the controller. You will have to find the wires under the dash and connect with the connecting harness provided with the controller.

Do not forget to find the wires under the hood,close to the fuse box, otherwise, you will not have power to the controller.

2009 Chevy Avalanche Z71, AVS bugflector, Huskyliners molded splash guards
2003 Chevy Trailblazer (Gone but not forgotten)
2003 Honda ST1300 (Summer commuter)
ivey18

Awards
« Reply #255 on: 07/10/10 05:14 AM »

I Tried to install a prodigy and thought things went well until I hooked up my trailer (a pop-up).  It didn't recognize the trailer as being connected.  My AV is 2002.
1) is there something about the wiring being wrong on the harness?
2) do I really have to under the hood and connect some wires to the battery?
3) Did I need to put the fuse in stud#1 (which I eventually did - no change)?
I want to camping in Yosemite tomorrow and my only other option is to have it professionally installed (ouch!).
gunner65

Awards
« Reply #256 on: 07/29/10 06:25 PM »

Just installed my prodigy took about 5 minutes.

I wanted to give props to Southwest Wheels for a great price $116 which includes factory harness and free 2 day shipping CONUS.

http://www.brakecontroller.com/

Equality is the share of every one at their advent upon earth, and equality is also theirs when placed beneath it.
mmmooretx

Awards
« Reply #257 on: 07/30/10 02:03 PM »

Hopefully a simple question.  The 2010 Avalanche LT options list has a controller as an option, $200, is the consensus it is not worth buying or is it just a new item?  A lot of this thread focused on installing one of several after market controllers and how it is connected/placed rather than the Avalanche option controller. 
Thanks in advance, I hope to buy an Avalanche in March 2011 and am trying to get smart on which options to buy or not. Huh

Mike Moore
N5RWH
gunner65

Awards
« Reply #258 on: 07/30/10 06:26 PM »

Hopefully a simple question.  The 2010 Avalanche LT options list has a controller as an option, $200, is the consensus it is not worth buying or is it just a new item?  A lot of this thread focused on installing one of several after market controllers and how it is connected/placed rather than the Avalanche option controller. 
Thanks in advance, I hope to buy an Avalanche in March 2011 and am trying to get smart on which options to buy or not. Huh

Depends on type that the dealer would be installing.  Like I said I got a Prodigy inertia for $116 and took me more time determining which drill bit to uses then it took to install.  If the dealer is going to install some cheap time delay then I would say no and buy the prodigy.

Equality is the share of every one at their advent upon earth, and equality is also theirs when placed beneath it.
mmmooretx

Awards
« Reply #259 on: 07/30/10 06:45 PM »

Depends on type that the dealer would be installing.  Like I said I got a Prodigy inertia for $116 and took me more time determining which drill bit to uses then it took to install.  If the dealer is going to install some cheap time delay then I would say no and buy the prodigy.

I was not sure as if you go to the Avalanche site, do a build, then click on the controller option (no number in build) it does show a picture.  I did not know this was a dealer choice/install item.  Thanks gunner65, that would be the model if I buy outside GM or if I get a choice.

Mike Moore
N5RWH
chAVey
CAFCNA 2012 Supporting Member

Ahh!

Awards
« Reply #260 on: 07/30/10 07:06 PM »

I Tried to install a prodigy and thought things went well until I hooked up my trailer (a pop-up).  It didn't recognize the trailer as being connected.  My AV is 2002.
1) is there something about the wiring being wrong on the harness?
2) do I really have to under the hood and connect some wires to the battery?
3) Did I need to put the fuse in stud#1 (which I eventually did - no change)?
I want to camping in Yosemite tomorrow and my only other option is to have it professionally installed (ouch!).

I know this is sort of late, but I had the same issue.  It turnd out to be a Trailer issue, not a brake controller issue (I found both left side brakes were disconnected).   If you've checked your AV connections, start looking at the trailer.

Oh, and I installed the Tekonsha P3 (updated version of the Prodigy).  And have been nuttin but EXTREMELY SATISFIED with it.  I just towed my 5400 lb trailer 2400 miles and it ran GREAT.

Wazbro

I love the Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #261 on: 07/31/10 08:03 AM »

It's not dealer installed it IS factory. It's a new item GM wasn't smart enough to offer before so very little info on the street about it. Should at least have a nice clean factory look, not something added on where it should be out of the way like aftermarket ones.

I would have gotten one on mine if it was available.
« Last Edit: 07/31/10 08:06 AM by Wazbro » Logged

2008 AV 6.0L LT3 Autoride Blue Granite Metallic
gunner65

Awards
« Reply #262 on: 08/03/10 12:36 PM »

Well I had a chance to use the prodigy.....Night and day from the el cheapo time delay I had in my F-150 and the ava towed so much better than the Ford I really have nothing against my old F-150 but I think I have to give a thumbs up to Chevy for the towing capabilities.  The shift points were just set so much better.  Everyday I drive this truck it just gets better.

Silverback

Awards
« Reply #263 on: 08/06/10 08:26 AM »

Installed my Prodigy controller last night.  Wow, it was so easy, just mount and plug in.  Thanks to all who provided info and guidance in selection and installation.  This site is a huge resource and a great place to start when you have  questions about anything Avalanche.  I will hook up the TT tonight or tomorrow and see how it all works.

2004 4X4 Stock
thomsen05

Awards
« Reply #264 on: 08/06/10 08:46 AM »

I also have the prodigy on my 02 and I feel this unit is one of the best out there. I love having the boost control to adjust your braking pressure to the weight your towing.     Thumbs up!  plus it works great in reverse!!!

Chris

2002 avalanche pewter,4:10 gears, Superchipped 5.3ltr, 3" Ready lift level kit, Stainless steel diamond plate inserts, Amber drl's, K&N FIPK, MSD wires, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Nerf bars, Blue superbright puddles, fabtech steering stabilizer, altezza smoked tail lights 50W back up lights....to be added: strobes
Redlinez

Awards
« Reply #265 on: 10/16/10 12:47 PM »

So my 03  Z71 with tow package should be a plug in affair with a EBC right?  I had just had one installed in my 04 Explorer and had to pay to have the wiring harness run for a 7 pin and they spliced in the brake controller.  So the plug was cut off.  I smashed the bracket with my knee during the accident so I guess I might as well buy a new controller.  So the Prodigy is the one huh?

03 Suburban Z71
zeder

Awards
« Reply #266 on: 10/29/10 11:15 AM »

I have a Primus IQ , since I couldn't wait for a Prodigy at my local trailer sales.
 I've had it for over a year and LOVE IT love
 Maybe I should have waited the two weeks for it's bigger brother , but it does all I want and more.
I have used it with my three place open snowmobile trailer and our Coachman trailer and it's GREAT!!! Thumbs up!
  Granted, this is my first experince with any type of control other than the ones from the seventies  Thumbs down  And those were so bad I vowed to never own anything that needed trailer brakes.
 My.02 cents worth and it might not be worth that chevy
Pat

2004 1500, 4x4 Z71 package. All stock for now.
Rokntoy

Awards
« Reply #267 on: 01/30/11 07:55 PM »

Ok I have looked on this list till I have a monster headache and cant seem to find what I need so here goes. I have a 2002 ava z71 Can I get a plug and go harness and brake control or do I have to hard wire it in? If I can get a plug and go where in the veihcle do I plug it in at. Help me!

Thanks
Waz
CAFCNA 2004 Supporting Member

Some times you just have to grin and bear it.

Awards
« Reply #268 on: 02/01/11 08:39 AM »

Ok I have looked on this list till I have a monster headache and cant seem to find what I need so here goes. I have a 2002 ava z71 Can I get a plug and go harness and brake control or do I have to hard wire it in? If I can get a plug and go where in the veihcle do I plug it in at. Help me!

Thanks

Yes you can get a plug n play cable for a 2002 Avalanche.  Look here etrailer, brake controllers<-- Link

The connector is under a plastic cover on the firewall between the brake pedal and the parking brake.  I don't remember the exact location in the set of connector under that cover. 

Be sure you get the 1999-2002 adapter.  If you get the 2003-2006 harness, at best it won't work, at worst something is going to smoke.
You might be able to find better prices then what is in the link I posted, that's just the first place I looked after googling trailer brake controller.

'04 1500 2wd, SBM, cladded
Rokntoy

Awards
« Reply #269 on: 02/02/11 08:34 AM »

Yes you can get a plug n play cable for a 2002 Avalanche.  Look here etrailer, brake controllers<-- Link

The connector is under a plastic cover on the firewall between the brake pedal and the parking brake.  I don't remember the exact location in the set of connector under that cover. 

Be sure you get the 1999-2002 adapter.  If you get the 2003-2006 harness, at best it won't work, at worst something is going to smoke.
You might be able to find better prices then what is in the link I posted, that's just the first place I looked after googling trailer brake controller.
Thanks for the info!! Thumbs up!
FoghornLeghorn

2003 Avalanche 2500 Black 4" Lifted

Awards
« Reply #270 on: 03/01/11 09:56 AM »

This site is great.  I had no clue the Trailer Brake was plug and play.

Thanks for everybody posting links and pictures.

2003 Avalanche 2500
28' Sprinter Travel trailer
RB Ditchbanger

AVALANCHES & ARCTIC CATS

Awards
« Reply #271 on: 03/25/11 07:46 AM »

I will b getting a 4 place inline snowmobile trailer soon and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a brake controller

HIT THE HAPPY FLIPPER
thomsen05

Awards
« Reply #272 on: 03/25/11 10:48 AM »

Buy a Prodigy from tekonsha I pull a 6000lb travel trailer and that controller is sweet!!!

http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx

Chris

2002 avalanche pewter,4:10 gears, Superchipped 5.3ltr, 3" Ready lift level kit, Stainless steel diamond plate inserts, Amber drl's, K&N FIPK, MSD wires, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Nerf bars, Blue superbright puddles, fabtech steering stabilizer, altezza smoked tail lights 50W back up lights....to be added: strobes
nmcd1012

Awards
« Reply #273 on: 07/08/11 11:58 AM »

i have an 05 avalance with a factory hitch installed. i moved the pin on the jumper harness to the specified location. the problem im running into is that my brake lights come when i press the manual override on the controller. any advise?

thanks,
nick
Waz
CAFCNA 2004 Supporting Member

Some times you just have to grin and bear it.

Awards
« Reply #274 on: 07/09/11 01:47 AM »

That's not actually a problem.  The brake lights should come on when you apply the brakes.  Using the manual override applies the trailer brakes. 

I just checked a different brand controller and it works that way too.  (I'm in a campground, they're everywhere.)

'04 1500 2wd, SBM, cladded
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: