Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
09/23/14 03:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tailgate torsion bar lift assist (removes 70% tailgate weight)  (Read 45706 times)
_gadget_

Does it get any better?

Awards
« on: 05/11/07 08:13 AM »

Everyone with an Avalanche knows the tailgate is WAY TOO HEAVY.  GM has worked to resolve the issue in 2007 with springs on the hinges.  Good for ’07, but what about us with the ’02 – ’06 trucks? Well glad you asked.  There is a least one company who makes a product to help.  It’s not designed for Avalanches, and I may contact them again to see if they would be willing to make a version for the AV, but I did find a way to make the existing product work for Avalanches / Esclalanches.  (That is my name for EXTs)

Hoppy makes a tailgate torsion bar.  If you search Froogle (now Google Products) for “tailgate torsion bar” you should find a number of places that have this product for less than $30.  I got mine (with shipping) in 4 days for $24.  We found it removed 70% of the tailgate weight!  70% !!!

I picked up mine at: http://autoaccessconnect.stores.yahoo.net/taasforpitr.html

First some warnings:
  • You are doing this at your own risk – it involves drilling a couple holes, if you are scared of this, go away now.
  • If you remove your tailgate often – this will complicate that process, so think about that.
  • There is a little prying and just a little metal bending involved in this – it’s at the hole you drill above the driver’s side tailgate hinge.
[/color]

So what do you need to do? 

Once you get the product, remove and throw away the instructions and drill template.  Avalanche/EXT details are not listed on the template – details are below.

1.  We cut about ¾ of an inch off the torsion bar with the “A label” or with the yellow paint. - will explain later.  Maybe it was not needed - maybe move the drill point up to 5" from hinge and don't cut anything.  I have only installed two of these.

2.  Drill a 3/8” hole 4.25” above the driver’s side tailgate hinge.  (Take care you don't scuff the side of the truck with your drill chuck depending on drill bit length)  You will drill through the metal and the drill bit will hit another steel wall about ¼” inside your nice new hole.  This is a little bit of an issue and the reason we cut the ¾” off the torsion bar. 

3.  Measure over 32 ½” from the outside of the hinge cup on the tailgate and make a mark – you will drill into the bottom of the tailgate in line with the existing rivets of the tailgate.

4. Remove tailgate, transfer measurement and drill or re-measure and drill 3/8” hole in bottom of tailgate.  It’s fiberglass, so don’t brush it away with your hand unless you want to itch for the next 24 hours.

5.  Insert the torsion bar back into the side of the truck and make sure it’s sitting flat against the truck bed wall behind the hinge pin.  You will need to insert the bar, push, pull, pry and try to wiggle the torsion bar into the hole between those two walls.  This WILL result in you bending the metal a little above the hole to get a little more room between the two metal walls.  I was trying to push on that inside wall to get it to bow in more and bend the outside metal less, but I don’t think it would be possible to insert the whole like 2” of the bar in – cutting off ¾” to 1” off the bar appeared to do the trick and we got about 3/4" into the hole.

6.  Re-install tailgate, but this time you will insert side B of the torsion bar into the tailgate hole you just made.  I found a hammer to tap the bar into the hole was required due to the friction from the side of the hole on the torsion bar.  (NOT a one person job)

7.  Don’t forget to latch your tailgate cables back onto the stops.  You should now be done.

Give it a try.  Your face may look like this when you close the tailgate the first or second or third time:   Shocked   Cheesy   Cheesy 

I forgot to check my tailgate weight before I changed mine, but we checked the second time and found the "weight" required to lift the tailgate using a bathroom scale went from 28 lbs to 8 lbs. Next time you are at the gym - go do a couple curls with a 30 lbs weight and then go do a couple with the 10 lb weight.  You will be out shopping for this product before the sun sets.  Your wife will love you for it.    love
« Last Edit: 08/07/07 08:54 AM by _gadget_ » Logged

Wink Click picture for info on my Avalanche and 40+ MODS Wink
DougD
CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member

So, didja?

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 05/11/07 08:15 AM »

How will that interfere with the removal of the tailgate (easily)?

2003 Victory Red WBH Z66.  Suburban moldings.  Color-matched handles.  K&N FIPK-II.  Dynomax Cat-Back.  DVD/TV & Vizualogics.  Ambers.  Silverstars Hi, Lo & Fog.  Police Pursuit wipers.  Dually rear clearance light (still in the box).
_gadget_

Does it get any better?

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 05/11/07 08:22 AM »

How will that interfere with the removal of the tailgate (easily)?

Because you will have to remove the 5" long bar from the center of the tailgate after the gate is off the hinges.  Not hard, but not a one person job unless you have really long really strong arms and can hold the gate with one hand and wiggle the bar out with the other.

I so seldom remove my gate it's no big deal - and with the wires for the lock and camera, the gate removal is kind of complex anyway this was a simple decision for me.

Bad Dad
CAFCNA 2007 Supporting Member

Avalanche Zone

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 05/11/07 08:29 AM »

Gadget,

Great write-up and post...  You rock!

I was looking into the "EZ Down" by DEEZEE, but they also don't have an application for the Avalanche. It's a little shock type thingy (dampener) that allows the tailgate to lower itself.
 Don't these company's know that the Avalanche is the most modded truck in the country?  Angry

Bad Dad
« Last Edit: 05/12/07 12:19 PM by Bad Dad » Logged

Go : 2003 Cladded DGM, Zoomers exhaust, AIRAID intake and Poweraid TBS, polished throttle body, Yank TC & Vette servo's, Wait4me PCM, Magnecor wires w/ E3 plugs, HID bulbs hi/low/fog, Ground Force 2/2.5, Torque Thrust ST's w/ 295/50-20's, Hotchkis sway bars, Air Lift 1000 bags,
Show :  Avy sail windows, front lip spoiler, smoked taillights, painted power bar w/ Carriage Works billet grille, billet Bow Tie & fuel door, Platinum cluster, iPod  interface, more to come...
Z66 BUTCH
CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator

I love Dachshunds

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 05/11/07 08:31 AM »

Good post, I was looking into this:

http://www.aztrucks.com/category.asp?product=594

But they do not make a kit for the Avalanche. I called the company and they have no plans at this time to make it......BUMMER! It cost more that what you did but one advantage is you cannot drop your tailgate down hard! Mine has fallen open twice.........to me it does not make sense that they make it for a regular pickup and not the Avalanche, the last time I closed a regular truck tailgate it was no where near as heavy as the Avalanche tailgate!!

avalanchuck

LET'S GO AVS!

WWW Awards
« Reply #5 on: 05/11/07 08:52 AM »

Way to go Ivan... can't wait to see it in person sometime!

gn85

I love the AUTOBAHN!

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 05/11/07 11:07 AM »

GREAT WRITE-UP.  This will be one of the first mods when I get my Av.  Love it!

Chris
2003 Chevy Avalanche Z71... finally!!
1987 Buick Grand National
Support Education
Uesque

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 05/11/07 11:30 AM »

Great write-up and pictures, thanks.  I am a little surprised that folks think the tailgate is heavy, I've had a couple of full size pickups, and this is much lighter, it's closer to my Dad's S-10 in heft.  The outer skin is plastic, and not sure about the inner, but it is a little narrower tailgate than a full size truck also.  I was actually thinking that its lightness may be why nobody makes anything specifically for it. 

PUNISHER

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 05/11/07 06:52 PM »

the new Toyota has a cool little gizmo that prevents the tailgate from slamming down after you unlock it.  once i pulled on the handle i let it go, but it will not slam down.  it also seemed to assist in lift too.  that, or the tailgate was so lite it just seemed like it was.

AVALANCHE PICS
-traded 02 Z-66 for an 04 DBM Z-71
-traded 04 DBM Z-71 for a Lexus IS250
GTG's-DE, VA, TX, GA, MD, SC
socalAVY
Charter Member

love my avy!

Awards
« Reply #9 on: 05/11/07 07:38 PM »

Everyone interested should go to the EZ down website http://www.ezdown.com/ and type in the Chevy Avalanche for future consideration.  The CAFCNA website should have enough weight to influence them.

2005 DBM Z-71 Cladded.  So far, Star Shield Armor, MacNeil Lampguards, VR Straps.
Bad Dad

Avalanche Zone

Awards
« Reply #10 on: 05/12/07 10:44 AM »

socalAVY,

I went to their website and placed my vote!

Go : 2003 Cladded DGM, Zoomers exhaust, AIRAID intake and Poweraid TBS, polished throttle body, Yank TC & Vette servo's, Wait4me PCM, Magnecor wires w/ E3 plugs, HID bulbs hi/low/fog, Ground Force 2/2.5, Torque Thrust ST's w/ 295/50-20's, Hotchkis sway bars, Air Lift 1000 bags,
Show :  Avy sail windows, front lip spoiler, smoked taillights, painted power bar w/ Carriage Works billet grille, billet Bow Tie & fuel door, Platinum cluster, iPod  interface, more to come...
Snoball
CAFCNA 2005 Supporting Member

I love the Chevy Avalanche!

WWW Awards
« Reply #11 on: 05/13/07 05:47 AM »

Really great write up. Good pics and it seems to do the job. Like others I think the EZ Down is the final answer.  I too had voted to add this to the Dee Zee line, but it does not seem to do anything. I finally found their toll free number....if EVERYONE would call them direct and say that they would buy one if they made it for the Avalanche it would help. The guy told me the new catalog comes out in October and it may have new applications. I think they need a ton of phone calls to wake them up....Call them tomorrow!
Please feel free to contact us directly!

Dee Zee, Inc.
P.O. Box 3090
Des Moines, IA 50316

1-800-779-8222 (customer service)

04 Summit White Z71 wbh
Mods: 20" chrome 5 spoke MB Motoring with Kumho 305/50/20's, Carriage Works billet grille & bumper inserts, Billet BowTie, billet antenna, tint, SilverStar Amber DRL's & turn signals, EZ bed slider, MagLite mod, Smoked Taillightz, ,embroidered logo on headrests, remote tailgate lock, Cobra 75WXST CB, dashmat & console cover w/ logo, K&N FIPK, body colored door handles and fender flares, NR Auto white face gauges
moosc
CAFCNA 2013 Premium Member

Awards
« Reply #12 on: 05/13/07 05:54 AM »

Very nice write thank i should do this thanks
danlwil

Toys... can you ever have too many?

Awards
« Reply #13 on: 05/13/07 03:04 PM »

Great mod....

thanks for the tip

that's a must have item for any pre 07 AV owner!!!

"7"  White Z71
"Her AV3 "07 LT3 Silver Birch Metallic
"AV 5" 05 Blk Onyx Z71 t  for 7
"AV 4" 04 DBM 2500 t for "AV5"
"Her AV2"03 Victory Red wbh t for Her AV3
"Her AV" 03 Summit White 1500 t for "her AV2"
"His AV"02 Indigo Blue 1500 t for AV4
WILDFIRE

Awards
« Reply #14 on: 05/13/07 03:16 PM »

very nice mod

sittin by the phone, waitin for the lord to send my calling
Question~ What are you doing in my house? Answer~ Bleeding out
CA-AV
CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member

The Chevy Avalanche is sweet!

WWW Awards
« Reply #15 on: 05/14/07 12:14 PM »

I was watching some truck show this weekend (I don't remember which) and I saw an advertisement for this tailgate damper called EZ Down.  It looked very functional and when I visited the web site the price was reasonable.  The bad side is that it is not available for the Avalanche (yet).  I think if we have enough interest and fill out the form on the bottom of their web page they may expedite production for the Avalanche.

Take a look...

http://www.ezdown.com/

2002 Z71 Chevy Avalanche
http://community.webshots.com/user/avshots

Alpine HU, Alpine comp spkrs, LED HU mount, rear camera, Escalade cluster, billet A/C cntrls, visor decals, custom sunroof, tint, Garmin nav, LED Int lights, OEM brush guard/chrome nerf bars, Rancho 9000XL shocks, Escalade rims, BFG AT, airhorn, amber, chrome tow hooks, Volant-Powercore, Flowmaster 40 w/chrome tip, billet bowtie, tranny cooler, 4-fender, Gatorback, SportWing, blink 3rd brake light, Piaa wipers.
MS03 2500
CAFCNA 2014 Supporting Member

We shall never forget.

Awards
« Reply #16 on: 05/14/07 12:27 PM »

I would think the one that fit silverado's would fit AV's I saw them also and it said all gm truck 1999 thru present. It's made by DeeZee and I think it's a universal fit best prce I found was on amazon.com $49.00

2003 2500
Z66 BUTCH

I love Dachshunds

Awards
« Reply #17 on: 05/14/07 12:33 PM »

I would think the one that fit silverado's would fit AV's I saw them also and it said all gm truck 1999 thru present. It's made by DeeZee and I think it's a universal fit best prce I found was on amazon.com $49.00

I emailed them twice. They said it  will not fit and they have no plans to make one for the Avalanche at this time. It is a shame, the Avalanche tailgate is So much heavier than the Silverado! I had thought about buying one and trying it myself but am not ready to take on more projects at this time.........why don;t you do it and let us know? love I am thinking with the extra weight it may require two cylinders instead of the one that is in the Silverado kit.

Butch

MS03 2500

We shall never forget.

Awards
« Reply #18 on: 05/14/07 12:38 PM »

I may just do that I did not know AV tailgates were heavier, I know they are heavy but other than narrower what the Difference

2003 2500
Z66 BUTCH

I love Dachshunds

Awards
« Reply #19 on: 05/14/07 12:42 PM »

Everyone interested should go to the EZ down website http://www.ezdown.com/ and type in the Chevy Avalanche for future consideration.  The CAFCNA website should have enough weight to influence them.

Really great write up. Good pics and it seems to do the job. Like others I think the EZ Down is the final answer.  I too had voted to add this to the Dee Zee line, but it does not seem to do anything. I finally found their toll free number....if EVERYONE would call them direct and say that they would buy one if they made it for the Avalanche it would help. The guy told me the new catalog comes out in October and it may have new applications. I think they need a ton of phone calls to wake them up....Call them tomorrow!
Please feel free to contact us directly!

Dee Zee, Inc.
P.O. Box 3090
Des Moines, IA 50316

GO VOTE, Call them, we have enough clout that we can get this done!

Bad Dad

Avalanche Zone

Awards
« Reply #20 on: 05/14/07 01:01 PM »

On the standard pick-up there is a hole already there
(that's not there on an Avalanche) to be used as a mounting point for the "EZDown"... I bet if a guy were to duplicate that hole on the Avalanche tailgate, that it would work. Maybe we have a member that knows the tailgate, and how they're built, to let us know if it is possible to drill the hole needed to mount it.

idea Torsion bar + EZDown = sweet  Woot!

Gadget... you up for the challenge?  Just kidding

Bad Dad

MS03 2500

We shall never forget.

Awards
« Reply #21 on: 05/14/07 01:12 PM »

I'm changing tailgates in about a month, I'll let you know

2003 2500
DougD

So, didja?

Awards
« Reply #22 on: 05/14/07 02:43 PM »

I created a new topic for the tailgate damper.  I wonder which moderator moved my comments to this topic?  My topic has to deal with the damper, which slowly lowers the tailgate, which has some similarities to the torsion bar but it's not the same.  Can a moderator please move my comments and those responding to my comments back to the topic I created.

EZ-Down was already discussed in this thread, hence it being merged to maintain continuity of discussion.

2003 Victory Red WBH Z66.  Suburban moldings.  Color-matched handles.  K&N FIPK-II.  Dynomax Cat-Back.  DVD/TV & Vizualogics.  Ambers.  Silverstars Hi, Lo & Fog.  Police Pursuit wipers.  Dually rear clearance light (still in the box).
Bad Dad

Avalanche Zone

Awards
« Reply #23 on: 05/14/07 02:46 PM »

It's all good...

after all... we're talking tailgates here!

Bad Dad

socalAVY
Charter Member

love my avy!

Awards
« Reply #24 on: 05/14/07 08:54 PM »

In case you missed earlier replies...

Contact EZ Down/DeeZee Inc.  and either fill out the webform for future consideration of the 02-06 Avalanche, or call or write them a letter expressing interest if they produce it for our application.

Dee Zee, Inc.
P.O. Box 3090
Des Moines, IA 50316

2005 DBM Z-71 Cladded.  So far, Star Shield Armor, MacNeil Lampguards, VR Straps.
CA-AV

The Chevy Avalanche is sweet!

WWW Awards
« Reply #25 on: 05/15/07 06:10 AM »

EZ-Down was already discussed in this thread, hence it being merged to maintain continuity of discussion.

No problem.  I did a search for EZ Down before I posted and I did not notice any matches.  I must have missed it.
« Last Edit: 05/15/07 12:11 PM by CA-AV » Logged

2002 Z71 Chevy Avalanche
http://community.webshots.com/user/avshots

Alpine HU, Alpine comp spkrs, LED HU mount, rear camera, Escalade cluster, billet A/C cntrls, visor decals, custom sunroof, tint, Garmin nav, LED Int lights, OEM brush guard/chrome nerf bars, Rancho 9000XL shocks, Escalade rims, BFG AT, airhorn, amber, chrome tow hooks, Volant-Powercore, Flowmaster 40 w/chrome tip, billet bowtie, tranny cooler, 4-fender, Gatorback, SportWing, blink 3rd brake light, Piaa wipers.
_gadget_

Does it get any better?

Awards
« Reply #26 on: 05/15/07 07:30 AM »

... Maybe we have a member that knows the tailgate, and how they're built, to let us know if it is possible to drill the hole needed to mount it.

idea Torsion bar + EZDown = sweet  Woot!

Gadget... you up for the challenge?  Just kidding

Dang it - would you people stop putting these ideas into my head!  I have all that stuff sitting at home and could give it a shot (you know there is a 99% chance I will get it working) 

Have some spare gas cylns from some other projects (my hot tub cover lift assist project appears to have about the same size devices) and I have a ton of pictures of my tailgate insides (design changed in '05) I have the tailgate modeled in Pro/E (from the DropTail plan which I decided not to do myself) and could do a little measurement to verify what kind of throws and forces I would need with and without the torsion bar.

Then again, I need to install a swamp cooler in our new old house before it gets too hot.  My wife would like this EZ-Down, but would prefer a cool house first.  - However, I might be myself out to the garage and give it a try if I have some extra time.

Bad Dad

Avalanche Zone

Awards
« Reply #27 on: 05/15/07 01:20 PM »

Dang it - would you people stop putting these ideas into my head!  I have all that stuff sitting at home and could give it a shot (you know there is a 99% chance I will get it working) 

gadget... You rock!

Wow, you have pictures of the tailgate insides... with that information you'd know if there was anything stopping us from just drilling a mounting hole that would be strong enough to support the mount. I figure EZDown just doesn't want it too complicated for the
"do-it-yourself-er" -- little do they know we have a "ringer" on our side (_gadget_).

Well... let us know what you find out!

Bad Dad

Bad Dad

Avalanche Zone

Awards
« Reply #28 on: 05/16/07 01:05 PM »

I just ordered my EasyLift... ships at the end of the week. One tailgate mod at a time -- keep us posted _gadget_ !

Mr_Scary
CAFCNA 2006 Supporting Member

Chevy to the Bone!

Awards
« Reply #29 on: 05/18/07 12:33 PM »

OK with three kids, I'm definetly up for this mod.  My only question is; is the tortion bar shaped sort of like a U?  Then when you open the tail gate the torsion bar gets twisted, hence the release of pressure returning the tail gate to the up position???

Thanx,

Mr. $cary

ps-thanx for the write up and the pics gadget.
pss-who online did you order from?

G

Nekkid SW '04, K&N FIPK, HPP III
Calli 22's wrapped in Kuhmo STX's
Sail Panel Lights, Sylvania 9005/6 SU's, Amber DRL's, GM Bug Deflector, Head Light covers, All Alpine with 4 amps, 2500 watts, 14 speakers and 2 JL10W1's custom mid-gate box. Metered at 126.3db.   Lighted Blue 'Avalanche' HU Mount, Remote Start & Alarm

Comin' Soon to an AV near me!
Headers & Exhaust, Gears- 410's(maybe 456's hehehe)
etc.....!

Too many mods's not enough time or $$$$$.......
Story of my life!!!!
SpottyJ
CAFCNA Global Moderator

This is SpottyJ

WWW Awards
« Reply #30 on: 05/30/07 04:27 PM »

_Gadget_   hows is the tailgate assist holding up?

Any suggestions for improvement now that you have had it in use for a while?

Anyone else do this mod yet?

03' Z-71:  Drk Grn Met: Drv Conv Pckg, XM, OnStar, Sunroof, 10-way Heat Lthr Seats, Bose, Assist Steps, GND Effects Pckg, Roof Rack, Trlr Pckg, MODS: Maglite, Hardwire RADAR, Wheel Well Plug, WeatherTech Bug Shield, Bowtie by "Carriles", Silverstars-Fog/DRL/Signals, Rod Mod Remote Tailgate Lock, Zaino, HIDs in Lows.
dps

I love the Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #31 on: 05/31/07 12:59 PM »

We just returned from a 2500 mile road trip through the Southwest.  It included packing and un-packing almost every day, and the MUCH lighter and easier tailgate was great!  This really should have been my first mod; it was very inexpensive, and with Gadget's paving the way, only took 15 minutes or so.

Combined with my new bedslide written up elsewhere it made for an easy system.

David at StudioEasel dot com
_gadget_

Does it get any better?

Awards
« Reply #32 on: 05/31/07 01:35 PM »

is the tortion bar shaped sort of like a U?  Then when you open the tail gate the torsion bar gets twisted, hence the release of pressure returning the tail gate to the up position???

pss-who online did you order from?

Yes - it's shaped just like a U.  The section which goes into the tailgate would stick straight up normally - as you open the tailgate it's twisting this and thus trying to flip the tailgate closed and assist in closing the gate.

So far all is good.  Showed this to a cousin that owns a 2500 AV.  Just asked him to close my tailgate and he noticed the difference without saying a word. 

I ordered my from http://autoaccessconnect.stores.yahoo.net/taasforpitr.html but many other sites are out there.  I also noticed camping world says they carry these.  We have some of those local here, but not gone in to ask.

GreatWhite496

Awards
« Reply #33 on: 05/31/07 03:07 PM »

I love it...and it is a cheap mod...this MOD goes on my "to do" list!
kavesman1

I love my Av, and my Volvo

Awards
« Reply #34 on: 05/31/07 03:32 PM »

this is diffently on my buy/to do list.gotta help my grandmother when she has it when im on the road.

got a question though.is the EZ lift rod made out of spring steel? if so,i might be able to come up with a design that might make it EZer to take off the talegate,if needed.

Billet Grill, Amber DRLs, All On High, BrakeMaster Modules, LOF Fire and Ice,CDX, Aux Input Adaptor/Bluetooth For Ipod, Mag Light Mod, Visor Mounted DVD/7"lcd combo,LED grab handle,Sail panel LEDs.Bose Lux Audio/Nav.
Blu

Bought in USA!

WWW Awards
« Reply #35 on: 06/03/07 07:14 AM »

I'm changing tailgates in about a month, I'll let you know

Are going with a much lighter Tailgate or just different design?

Simple, inexpensive mod. Thanks

05 LT 1500 WBH 4x4 Black, Wind tint, chrome tube side steps, Locking Gas Cap, Airaid Intake box-filter after MAF, Poweraid throttle body spacer, Royal Purple Syn Oil, Pro Comp Extreme 6005 9.5 width, Nitto Terra Grapplers 305/50/20, Magnaflow replace w/blk chrome tip, Hyper Wht Fog lights, Sylvania Cool Blue Night Lights, Amber Day Lites,Painted Frt Lower Valance, Replace Drivers w/Keyless Entry. Currently Hibernating
MS03 2500

We shall never forget.

Awards
« Reply #36 on: 06/03/07 07:31 AM »

Actually I traded some parts for a tailgate with another member and I bought a escalade tailgate skin off eBay for 25.00 lucked out on the color Cadillac call pewter goldmist it matched.

Actually I bought the EZdown waiting for it to arrive, I can see why it won't work on a avy.
My motto for  MOD's is  MAKE IT WORK

2003 2500
MS03 2500

We shall never forget.

Awards
« Reply #37 on: 06/05/07 06:56 PM »

OK I put on a EZDown in this evening

Opportunity or problems as some folk call them

Not enough clearance between the cladding on the bottom side I used a roto zip and cut a slot in it see picture.

It works slows the opening down allot closing it did not help at all still heavy.
« Last Edit: 06/05/07 06:58 PM by MichiganSilver03 » Logged

2003 2500
moosc

Awards
« Reply #38 on: 06/06/07 06:12 AM »

OK I put on a EZDown in this evening

Opportunity or problems as some folk call them

Not enough clearance between the cladding on the bottom side I used a roto zip and cut a slot in it see picture.

It works slows the opening down allot closing it did not help at all still heavy.
did you add the spring also? or just the shock? did u email ezlift and showed them it can work nice mod chevy
MS03 2500

We shall never forget.

Awards
« Reply #39 on: 06/06/07 07:56 AM »

There is a spring inside the shock, and you have to pull it open then about have way down it opens by itself. I don't think EZDOWN is going to tell car owners to cut a slot in there cladding, that's probably why they are saying it won't work, except for people like us who make it work .

2003 2500
WILDFIRE

Awards
« Reply #40 on: 06/07/07 02:17 AM »

nice job MS3

_gadget_

Does it get any better?

Awards
« Reply #41 on: 06/07/07 10:38 AM »

It looks like there is a bracket added at the hinge pin of the tailgate the EZ down attaches to.  Did this come with the kit or did you make that? 

MS03 2500

We shall never forget.

Awards
« Reply #42 on: 06/07/07 11:11 AM »

You are right one bolt that goes into the tailgate is removed and the bracket is attached using that bolt. The bracket is offset from the tailgate and the nut rubs against the cladding on the bumper. I just opened and closed the tailgate a couple of times so it would make a impression on the cladding so I knew where to trim the cladding. I will go back this weekend and glue a backing on where I trimmed the cladding.

2003 2500
Blu

Bought in USA!

WWW Awards
« Reply #43 on: 06/08/07 04:28 AM »

It looks like there is a bracket added at the hinge pin of the tailgate the EZ down attaches to.  Did this come with the kit or did you make that? 

Just viewed your garage, Nice mods, added to my list of things to do.
Got to tell me the trick to getting up on that wake board?
                        chevy

05 LT 1500 WBH 4x4 Black, Wind tint, chrome tube side steps, Locking Gas Cap, Airaid Intake box-filter after MAF, Poweraid throttle body spacer, Royal Purple Syn Oil, Pro Comp Extreme 6005 9.5 width, Nitto Terra Grapplers 305/50/20, Magnaflow replace w/blk chrome tip, Hyper Wht Fog lights, Sylvania Cool Blue Night Lights, Amber Day Lites,Painted Frt Lower Valance, Replace Drivers w/Keyless Entry. Currently Hibernating
mrodenki

Awards
« Reply #44 on: 06/08/07 07:34 AM »

IMHO, I think the torsion bar assist is on the right track to solving the heavy tailgate issue.  I would rather counterbalance the load, not merely control the dropping speed.

The EZDown appears to be an extension damper such as these http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=1145 and will only keep the gate from slamming down.  I doubt it assists in lifting it back up.  I'm not knocking the EZDown, it probably solves the safely issue.

So for me, I'm going to pursue a full counterbalance system such as a torsion bar shown here, or a smaller version of the counterbalance rewind system like what you see on rear ramp doors of enclosed trailers.  They also make reverse gas springs (ones that are spring-loaded to retract rather than extend) that could mount similar to the EZDown system.

Forever Chevy
2013 Black Z71 (My sweet new ride!)
2003 Arrival Blue Z71 (Just traded in with 48K on the clock, but I wanted an 2013 before they were gone)
Snoball

WWW Awards
« Reply #45 on: 06/08/07 07:55 AM »

MS3- great job in jumping into it and installing it. Did you purchase the 99-06 Silverado model of EZdown?  And just installed it per the insructions, right?  That seems too easy. Does the attachment point where the bolt is removed and the new bracket is installed seem up to the task?  If so, I have got to order one tomorrow!

04 Summit White Z71 wbh
Mods: 20" chrome 5 spoke MB Motoring with Kumho 305/50/20's, Carriage Works billet grille & bumper inserts, Billet BowTie, billet antenna, tint, SilverStar Amber DRL's & turn signals, EZ bed slider, MagLite mod, Smoked Taillightz, ,embroidered logo on headrests, remote tailgate lock, Cobra 75WXST CB, dashmat & console cover w/ logo, K&N FIPK, body colored door handles and fender flares, NR Auto white face gauges
MS03 2500

We shall never forget.

Awards
« Reply #46 on: 06/08/07 08:16 AM »

It does not help at all lifting it back up it actually makes it a little harder to lift. I had to try it some times I need to get into the rear of the AVY when it is in the gargage where I can't open it all the way and it helps there. 

Yes it is the Silverado model.

2003 2500
Snoball

WWW Awards
« Reply #47 on: 06/26/07 07:03 AM »

I ordered my EZ Down off eBay...got it for $55 including shipping. Here are some photos. Here is the entire package with instructions for a Silverado.

04 Summit White Z71 wbh
Snoball

WWW Awards
« Reply #48 on: 06/26/07 07:05 AM »

Here is the bracket as it comes for the Silverado. It attaches to the tailgate with one bolt. The bend is for the stock steel Silverado tailgate. With this bend it WILL hit the sheet metal on WBHs and the cladding on others AVs. Take this stock bracket to your vise and get a big sledge hammer to straighten it out. Then make a slight bend in the other direction so it more closely follows the AV tailgate.

04 Summit White Z71 wbh
Snoball

WWW Awards
« Reply #49 on: 06/26/07 07:08 AM »

Here is the EZ down installed on a WBH with the bracket bent toward the tailgate to match the shape of the AV instead of the Silverado. My son had his Silverado over here with his EZ Down installed so we could compare the differences. The set up works great but time will tell if the plastic tailgate can stand the stress of this bracket and shock absorber. I am keeping the stock bolt for the tailgate strap so I can change back if I have to...but I am happy today!

04 Summit White Z71 wbh
MS03 2500

We shall never forget.

Awards
« Reply #50 on: 06/26/07 07:23 AM »

Nice tip about bending the bracket, does it rub at all.

2003 2500
dps

Awards
« Reply #51 on: 06/26/07 08:40 AM »

Wow, talk about a hijacked thread...

I don't have anything to sell nor any ax to grind, but to future readers of this thread, I would strongly recommend doing the torsion spring mod before even considering an ez down type of thing.  The torsion spring works both ways- letting you bring your tailgate down AND UP with just a couple of fingers.

It's cheaper, too  Cheesy

SupaDave

SIZE MATTERS

Awards
« Reply #52 on: 06/27/07 02:55 PM »

Very cool. Thumbs up!

2003 Z71 AVY with 3" body and 6" suspension lift on 37x20x13.5 Nitto Mud. on 20x10 Halo Maxx 6.BB&K CAI.MSD spark plug wires.Billet grill,Euro tail lights,Tinted windows.Antena hidden mod,amber DRL's,Nerf bars.Blue Xenon head lights,dual shock mount, shocks, steering stabilizer,body lift guards,Clarion doulble din.....Much Much more to come.
MS03 2500

We shall never forget.

Awards
« Reply #53 on: 06/27/07 04:39 PM »

Wow, talk about a hijacked thread...

I don't have anything to sell nor any ax to grind, but to future readers of this thread, I would strongly recommend doing the torsion spring mod before even considering an ez down type of thing. The torsion spring works both ways- letting you bring your tailgate down AND UP with just a couple of fingers.

It's cheaper, too Cheesy

Thanks for the tip on how to post DPS, But this post was merge with another post about the ez down, because they both are about Tailgate Assist and was not JACKED. If you look at the first page you will see the 2 different topics in the title.

But I do agree with you about the torsion spring if you don't mind drilling holes in your AVY

2003 2500
Bad Dad

Avalanche Zone

Awards
« Reply #54 on: 07/06/07 09:05 AM »

I just ordered my EasyLift... ships at the end of the week. One tailgate mod at a time -- keep us posted _gadget_ !

I ordered this on 5/16/07, and it just got here yesterday (7/5) -- I forgot I ordered it!
 I've got family up visiting and won't have time for a project till they leave, but will keep you posted!

Thanks MS03 & Snoball for the write-up/info in the Easylift -- looks like I'm gonna be the first to try the "combo"?

Bad Dad

ps those going to the National GTG "Have fun" and take pictures!
« Last Edit: 07/06/07 09:09 AM by Bad Dad » Logged

SpottyJ
CAFCNA Global Moderator

This is SpottyJ

WWW Awards
« Reply #55 on: 08/05/07 05:47 AM »

Any updates on the  torsion bar lift assist?

Any problems?

Still recommend?

03' Z-71:  Drk Grn Met: Drv Conv Pckg, XM, OnStar, Sunroof, 10-way Heat Lthr Seats, Bose, Assist Steps, GND Effects Pckg, Roof Rack, Trlr Pckg, MODS: Maglite, Hardwire RADAR, Wheel Well Plug, WeatherTech Bug Shield, Bowtie by "Carriles", Silverstars-Fog/DRL/Signals, Rod Mod Remote Tailgate Lock, Zaino, HIDs in Lows.
_gadget_

Does it get any better?

Awards
« Reply #56 on: 08/06/07 01:01 PM »

Any updates on the  torsion bar lift assist?

Any problems?

Still recommend?

I love it more each day.  No problems and I would and have recommended this to many people around here.  I find reasons to make other people (people with pickups) close my tailgate for me just so they can go  Shocked what the *!@!%?  Your tailgate weighs nothing - come over and try to close the gate on my F250...

Oh, wait - there is one problem - my wife now prefers to take the truck to go shopping rather than her car now that she can load up items with the lighter tailgate and the bedslide.   love  'Eh, I don't mind getting stuck with the Accord once in a while.

SpottyJ
CAFCNA Global Moderator

This is SpottyJ

WWW Awards
« Reply #57 on: 08/06/07 05:33 PM »

I love it more each day.  No problems and I would and have recommended this to many people around here.  I find reasons to make other people (people with pickups) close my tailgate for me just so they can go  Shocked what the *!@!%?  Your tailgate weighs nothing - come over and try to close the gate on my F250...

Oh, wait - there is one problem - my wife now prefers to take the truck to go shopping rather than her car now that she can load up items with the lighter tailgate and the bedslide.   love  'Eh, I don't mind getting stuck with the Accord once in a while.

_gadget_

Thanks for the feedback, I guess I am ordering mine now.  I like the torsion version better than the easy-down as it adds in the lifting.  Great idea and appreciate you sharing it with us all.   Thumbs up!

Found the part for $19.90 here:

http://autoaccessconnect.stores.yahoo.net/taasforpitr.html
« Last Edit: 08/06/07 05:48 PM by SpottyJ » Logged

dps

Awards
« Reply #58 on: 08/18/07 11:13 AM »

...just sold another guy on the idea who is a GMC owner.  That makes three with two Fords earlier. Should look into becoming a distributor Cheesy

As much as the General could use some cash (and Ford, too, I guess) they could be selling these things for $100 as an option whilst pocketing about $98 profit.

Really the nicest of the mods when considering the convenience of use, cost of mod, and time to install mod, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: 08/19/07 08:06 PM by dps » Logged

BLWN AVY

I love MY Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #59 on: 08/18/07 06:56 PM »

Anyone know about the 07 escalade ext??  Their tailgate has some sort of lifter helper inside the gate itself.  My brother has one but will ot let me take it apart to look at it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

2002 Avalanche 6.0L indigo blue,Radix supercharger, Gibson headers, magna flow exhaust, Custom tuned computer, 430 hp. 14 bolt 3/4 ton 4.56 gears with detroit trutrac diff.  22 inch KMC backseat wheels with 37/13.50/22 toyos.  Pro Comp 6" suspension lift and 3" body lift.  Xenon HID conversion.  Baer brakes Alumasport front kit, Eradispeed kit in the rear.  Dual electric fan kit. Line of fire brake light, side fender mounted turn signals.  Reverse flood lights installed in rear bumper cover, backup camera
RIKrotorhead
CAFCNA 2004 Supporting Member

You drive a WHAT??

Awards
« Reply #60 on: 08/18/07 07:25 PM »

Anyone know about the 07 escalade ext??  Their tailgate has some sort of lifter helper inside the gate itself.  My brother has one but will ot let me take it apart to look at it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

He won't let you take his tailgat apart on his new EXT?
What kind of brother is that?
You should just do it while he's sleeping.  Thumbs up!

Make sure you take pics! (from the hospital.... of the hot nurses)  Big laughter with tears

RIKrotorhead
CAFCNA 2004 Supporting Member

You drive a WHAT??

Awards
« Reply #61 on: 08/18/07 07:27 PM »

Great write-up gadget, and great idea.
I worry about one of my kids trying to open the tailgate and that thing coming down hard on their head.

Great mod for my list! Thanks.

MS03 2500

We shall never forget.

Awards
« Reply #62 on: 08/18/07 08:02 PM »

So do we have a new site sponsor here Huh

2003 2500
caliavy
CAFCNA 2009 Supporting Member

Often imitatated but never duplicated!!!

Awards
« Reply #63 on: 08/19/07 11:31 AM »

Hi there, I just wanted to comment on the Easylift (correction)  spring install. YOU ONLY HAVE TO DRILL ONE HOLE above the tailgate hinge- ands NOT through the second wall behind it  banghead  and protect the taillight enclosure-    Shocked by using a long drill bit or  protective covering!!!Live and learn I guess   Roll Eyes  Also use the hammer for inserting the other end into the tailgate- Otherwise not too eventful and a worthy mod.

Dennis
« Last Edit: 08/19/07 11:07 PM by caliavy » Logged

2004 Summit White Z66 Born 6/04 , Adopted 7/04 with 3 mi on the odometer, WBH, Drivers Convenience Package, Fender Flares, Stainless Steps,  XM, OnStar, Bose, 10 Way Buckets  with Leather, Sunroof, Side Airbags, Molded mud guards, GM Deflector, Amber DRLs Zainoed!!  Hotchkis SwayBars,Thundervolt 50's, Draw-Tite Intellistop Ultra , Hitchcam, EasyLift tailgate assist Rancho 9000XL front shocks
SpottyJ
CAFCNA Global Moderator

This is SpottyJ

WWW Awards
« Reply #64 on: 08/19/07 01:24 PM »

Hi there, I just wanted to comment on the Easydown spring install. YOU ONLY HAVE TO DRILL ONE HOLE above the tailgate hinge- ands NOT through the second wall behind it  banghead  and protect the taillight enclosure-    Shocked by using a long drill bit or  protective covering!!!Live and learn I guess   Roll Eyes  Also use the hammer for inserting the other end into the tailgate- Otherwise not too eventful and a worthy mod.

Dennis

Just to confirm - are you reffering to the "Torsion Bar" or the "Easy Down" installation?

SpottyJ
CAFCNA Global Moderator

This is SpottyJ

WWW Awards
« Reply #65 on: 08/19/07 07:52 PM »

I just completed the "Torsion Bar" install:

1 )  Sorry no pics

2 )  Yes, I agree with "_gadget_" that you need to cut off approx 3/4 of inch from "A" side of bar.

3 )  You do not need to drill through the second wall.  I did drill through both, but then I realized the "A" side of the torsion bar must lay vertical and if were to pass through second wall you could not get it to vertical.  So I have the bar in between the two walls.

4 )  I would recommend treating the drilled hole with some kind of paint to prevent corrosion.

5 )  I have a cladded avalanche, and scraped my cladding on the passenger side hinge area as I took the tailgate on/off so many times trying to get the torsion bar to stick into the tailgate.  I recommend you protect this area in advance.  I was trying to be careful and still scratched in may places.

6 )  This is not difficult, but is a two person job once you go to install the torsion bar.  You can drill the holes, trim the a-side of the bar, then you just need someone to help you wield the tailgate around.

7 )  I could not install side A then B.  When side "A" was in, the angle/tension to get side "B" into tailgate was too great.  I ended up inserting side "B" into the end of tailgate, and then inserting side "A".  Side "A" hole was already prestreched/bent to allow the torsion to lay vertical.

8 )  Yes, as "_gadget_" states, you have to bend/wiggle side "A" initially to get it to fit between the two walls.

9 )  I would recommend drilling the hole above the hinge a little to the outside versus inside.  The inside edge is a spot welded seam and I ended up in that area, and I believe is an area that now exposed would be more prone to corrosion.  If you move the L/R centering of the hole to the outside (or left of center) you will clear the seam area.

10 )  I would recommend cleaning and re-greasing the hinge cups prior to install, as once you have the torsion bar in place you are less likely to remove the tailgate so often.

11 )   If you only drill through the first panel, I think this is a very minimally invasive mod.  The hole at the tailgate is into composite and no fear of corrosion there.

12 )  I have the "Rod Mod" Remote tailgate kit, and I am not sure if the torsion bar is going to interfere with the internal actuator, time will tell, but the bar does enter the same cavity area as where the actuator is located.  (If you do not have a "Rod Mod" Remote tailgate actuator, or you do not know what the Rod Mod is, then don't worry, it will not apply to you).

13 )  Once installed, you can barely even see, and no one will notice the torsion bar.

14 )  Man does the bar make a difference in the effort to lower and raise the tailgate.  This was a great and cheap mod.    I highly recommend this mod.  Those on the fence - just do it!  Thanks "_gadget_"!  Thumbs up!
« Last Edit: 08/19/07 08:05 PM by SpottyJ » Logged

caliavy

Often imitatated but never duplicated!!!

Awards
« Reply #66 on: 08/19/07 11:18 PM »

Just to confirm - are you reffering to the "Torsion Bar" or the "Easy Down" installation?

Correction:
Torsion Bar- Easylift 

My apologies for the mixup.

2004 Summit White Z66 Born 6/04 , Adopted 7/04 with 3 mi on the odometer, WBH, Drivers Convenience Package, Fender Flares, Stainless Steps,  XM, OnStar, Bose, 10 Way Buckets  with Leather, Sunroof, Side Airbags, Molded mud guards, GM Deflector, Amber DRLs Zainoed!!  Hotchkis SwayBars,Thundervolt 50's, Draw-Tite Intellistop Ultra , Hitchcam, EasyLift tailgate assist Rancho 9000XL front shocks
_gadget_

Does it get any better?

Awards
« Reply #67 on: 08/21/07 11:59 AM »

Hi there, I just wanted to comment on the Easylift (correction)  spring install. YOU ONLY HAVE TO DRILL ONE HOLE above the tailgate hinge- and NOT through the second wall behind it  banghead  and protect the taillight enclosure-    Shocked by using a long drill bit or  protective covering!!!Live and learn I guess   Roll Eyes  Also use the hammer for inserting the other end into the tailgate- Otherwise not too eventful and a worthy mod.

Thanks for the feedback SpottyJ and caliavy

Maybe I should go back and put some bold around my first post on those few items.    And I should mention not to drill through once you do HIT the other wall of the truck side.  I guess I don't mention you don't need to drill it - just say the bar will jam between these metal walls.  So if you don't visualize that, just stop drilling once you get through that first wall.

Drill a 3/8” hole above the driver’s side tailgate hinge. (Take care you don't scuff the side of the truck with your drill chuck depending on drill bit length)   You will drill through the metal and the drill bit will hit another steel wall about ¼” inside your nice new hole.  This is a little bit of an issue and the reason we cut the ¾” off the torsion bar. 

I found a hammer to tap the bar into the hole was required due to the friction from the side of the hole on the torsion bar.

12 )  I have the "Rod Mod" Remote tailgate kit, and I am not sure if the torsion bar is going to interfere with the internal actuator, time will tell, but the bar does enter the same cavity area as where the actuator is located.  (If you do not have a "Rod Mod" Remote tailgate actuator, or you do not know what the Rod Mod is, then don't worry, it will not apply to you).

No, I believe the torsion bar should be located inside the center section of the tailgate just to the left of where my lock actuator is.  I took measurements before I did this mod to ensure the torsion  bar would not hit the actuator in my tailgate (shown in picture below)

moosc

Awards
« Reply #68 on: 08/21/07 07:03 PM »

...just sold another guy on the idea who is a GMC owner.  That makes three with two Fords earlier. Should look into becoming a distributor Cheesy

As much as the General could use some cash (and Ford, too, I guess) they could be selling these things for $100 as an option whilst pocketing about $98 profit.

Really the nicest of the mods when considering the convenience of use, cost of mod, and time to install mod, in my opinion.
the new silverados has an ez lift spring option like the new Avs only thing its like 95.00 extra :E:so lets see by an Av get the ez lift spring included by a silverado have to request it banghead
moosc

Awards
« Reply #69 on: 08/21/07 07:06 PM »

its same as the 07 newer Avs
Sirshopolot

Power To The Avy!

Awards
« Reply #70 on: 09/24/07 05:41 PM »

I want  Thumbs up!

Ordered it just a few minutes ago 
« Last Edit: 09/24/07 06:00 PM by Sirshopolot » Logged

Sirshopolot
Sirshopolot

Power To The Avy!

Awards
« Reply #71 on: 09/28/07 01:41 AM »

Woohoo!  Received mine yesterday!

Hope to install tonight. Thumbs up!

Sirshopolot
Didit

Awards
« Reply #72 on: 09/28/07 03:27 PM »

When you install the torsion bar, might I suggest that when you drill the hole in the tailgate, wobble the drill bit around a bit on the second hole, maybe even drilling a second hole to the right of it, on the second hole only inside the tailgate, right being toward the passenger side of the vehicle, I've put two of these on, and it seemed to help in getting it in there somewhat.

Didit

Sirshopolot

Power To The Avy!

Awards
« Reply #73 on: 09/28/07 07:51 PM »

OMG!

All I can say is Do It!

Read the instructions and JUST DO IT!

I have an '04 and there was a second horizontal stiffener I had to drill through for the "B" end of the torsion bar to fit in all the way.

I will bet that it reduced the tailgate weight by 90-95%!  It doesn't even streatch out the safety cables when open!  The wife can close it with her PINKY FINGER!!

Best mod I've done.

JUST DO IT!

Shocked  Grin  Grin

Sirshopolot
Z66 BUTCH

I love Dachshunds

Awards
« Reply #74 on: 09/28/07 07:55 PM »

OMG!

All I can say is Do It!

Read the instructions and JUST DO IT!

I have an '04 and there was a second horizontal stiffener I had to drill through for the "B" end of the torsion bar to fit in all the way.

I will bet that it reduced the tailgate weight by 90-95%!  It doesn't even streatch out the safety cables when open!  The wife can close it with her PINKY FINGER!!

Best mod I've done.

JUST DO IT!

Shocked  Grin  Grin

Somehow I knew you would love this mod!

Butch

MS03 2500

We shall never forget.

Awards
« Reply #75 on: 09/28/07 07:57 PM »

Gotta see this saturday

2003 2500
Sirshopolot

Power To The Avy!

Awards
« Reply #76 on: 09/28/07 07:59 PM »

Somehow I knew you would love this mod!

Butch

Oh Yeah, I  love it!!

BTW Thanks for the show and tell Butch and Didit!

Props to _gadget_ for this thread on the Tailgate torsion bar lift assist

Sirshopolot
Sirshopolot

Power To The Avy!

Awards
« Reply #77 on: 09/28/07 08:01 PM »

Gotta see this saturday

I will be happy to Show & Tell  Thumbs up!

Did I say? I  love it!

Sirshopolot
Z66 BUTCH

I love Dachshunds

Awards
« Reply #78 on: 09/28/07 08:20 PM »

I have flames, teak, a lowering kit, custom rims and THIS IS MY FAVORITE MOD! I just smile every time I open or close that tailgate now, and with the LED's and that tip switch I quit worrying about if I forgot to shut the tailgate as I drive away! love

Butch

Sarge E5, USMC

Awards
« Reply #79 on: 10/03/07 04:54 PM »

When you install the torsion bar, might I suggest that when you drill the hole in the tailgate, wobble the drill bit around a bit on the second hole, maybe even drilling a second hole to the right of it, on the second hole only inside the tailgate, right being toward the passenger side of the vehicle, I've put two of these on, and it seemed to help in getting it in there somewhat.

Didit

?!?!?!?  huh ?!?!?!

Lemme ask a question. The tailgate isn't steel. So is the hole in the bottom of the tailgate liable to get deformed or broken out or otherwise torn up by the tension on the bar when the gate is open? I don't know what kind of material the tailgate is made of, so I have to wonder about  what's gonna happen to that hole in time.

« Last Edit: 10/03/07 05:05 PM by Sarge E5, USMC » Logged
Sirshopolot

Power To The Avy!

Awards
« Reply #80 on: 10/03/07 05:21 PM »

No

Its pretty thick, has a doubler riveted to the bottom.

The end of mine extended up through another stiffener inside the tailgate which will hold it from moving around.

Sirshopolot
Sarge E5, USMC

Awards
« Reply #81 on: 10/03/07 05:58 PM »

got mine on order. Thumbs up!
moosc

Awards
« Reply #82 on: 10/03/07 06:38 PM »

look what i found pricey  banghead

http://www.gateassist.com/
Tango Chaser

Awards
« Reply #83 on: 10/03/07 06:42 PM »

look what i found pricey  banghead

http://www.gateassist.com/

Saw those several months back. (someone posted them) Had the instructional video also.  But were not available for the AV. "Alledgedly the silverado series wouldn't work"
Sarge E5, USMC

Awards
« Reply #84 on: 10/03/07 08:10 PM »

buy it Moos...........all the money you saved on them free floormats you got, ukin afford it!!

heheheh
Z66 BUTCH

I love Dachshunds

Awards
« Reply #85 on: 10/04/07 05:25 AM »

?!?!?!?  huh ?!?!?!

Lemme ask a question. The tailgate isn't steel. So is the hole in the bottom of the tailgate liable to get deformed or broken out or otherwise torn up by the tension on the bar when the gate is open? I don't know what kind of material the tailgate is made of, so I have to wonder about  what's gonna happen to that hole in time.

You drill through a area that has  row of rivets. It it where two panels overlap and seems very strong.

Sarge E5, USMC

Awards
« Reply #86 on: 10/04/07 05:27 AM »

That baby went in like BUTTAH!  Thanks for the info. This is a great mod.

My experience was:

1.) Measurements provided were right on.
2.) Install the "A" end of the bar 1st, then while my partner had hold of the tailgate, and I was lying in the bed on my stomach, he lifted it up and I had to "spring" the bar towards him just a hair and he was able to drop the gate down on it. Then he raised the PS end of the gate to get the cup seated on the pin on the DS, and then set it down on the PS pin.

Good to go.
« Last Edit: 10/10/07 09:33 AM by Sarge E5, USMC » Logged
docmjherron

Awards
« Reply #87 on: 10/10/07 12:34 PM »

A couple of questions since I will be doing this mod as well.

1.   Did you use the measurements from this thread or from the template?

2.   If you did not use the template, at what part of the pivot point did you make your measurements for A and B.

Thanks for any help.
Sarge E5, USMC

Awards
« Reply #88 on: 10/10/07 12:46 PM »

No template. _gadget_'s measurments are all you need. They were right on.
docmjherron

Awards
« Reply #89 on: 10/10/07 01:05 PM »

Thanks.

Semper Fi
Sarge E5, USMC

Awards
« Reply #90 on: 10/10/07 01:14 PM »

OOooooRAhhhhh. Spent 3 yrs in NC. Spent most of my free time at the beach in Morehead City.
docmjherron

Awards
« Reply #91 on: 10/10/07 01:33 PM »

One last clarification.   Did you measure "A" from the top of the pivot cup, and when _gadget_ talked about measuring "B" from the outside of the pivot cup did he mean close to the tail light or tail gate part?  What did you do?

Again thanks for the help.
Sarge E5, USMC

Awards
« Reply #92 on: 10/10/07 03:17 PM »

remove the tailgate and set it flat on a table. Measure 4 1/4" up from the hinge pin on the drivers side. Measure 32 1/2" from the outside edge of the hinge cup in.
Sirshopolot

Power To The Avy!

Awards
« Reply #93 on: 10/10/07 04:21 PM »

A couple of questions since I will be doing this mod as well.

1.   Did you use the measurements from this thread or from the template?

2.   If you did not use the template, at what part of the pivot point did you make your measurements for A and B.

Thanks for any help.

No template. _gadget_'s  measurments are all you need. They were right on.

I wished I had asked those questions before I drilled mine  banghead

Now I call it a lightening hole.........it lightens the truck for improved gas mileage  Big laughter with tears

Sirshopolot
Tango Chaser

Awards
« Reply #94 on: 10/10/07 04:22 PM »

I wished I had asked those questions before I drilled mine  banghead

Now I call it a lightening hole.........it lightens the truck for improved gas mileage  Big laughter with tears

Just put a couple of those Radio Shack "Flush mount" LEDs in there!  Thumbs up!
docmjherron

Awards
« Reply #95 on: 10/10/07 04:30 PM »

Thanks again Sarge.  Appreciate the help.  I wanted to ask those questions along time ago.  But it's hard for a guy to ask for  Help me! some times.  But I didn't want to end up like this banghead.  Sorry Sirshopolot I guess I should have asked sooner.
Sirshopolot

Power To The Avy!

Awards
« Reply #96 on: 10/14/07 12:40 PM »

Thanks again Sarge.  Appreciate the help.  I wanted to ask those questions along time ago.  But it's hard for a guy to ask for  Help me! some times.  But I didn't want to end up like this banghead.  Sorry Sirshopolot I guess I should have asked sooner.

Big laughter with tears
NP

It worked, you can't see it, and I'll bet it's 95%+  let off.  I can open the tailgate and get it to stand open about 6-8" on it's own.

Greatest mod ever!  Just going to take some time to get used to so I quit trying to "slam" it shut!

Sirshopolot
docmjherron

Awards
« Reply #97 on: 10/15/07 06:12 PM »

Yeah!  Even after asking the questions, mine isn't pretty either, but you can't tell.  Have some cleaning up to do, but works great.
Dutch

Awards
« Reply #98 on: 10/16/07 12:22 PM »

Thanks, Gadget, great instructions.  Just installed the torsion bar and what a difference in the felt weight of the tailgate.  Once I got past the measuring, worrying, and remeasuring phase, it took longer to cut off the end of the bar (with a hacksaw) than to actually install it.

Hit the "A" end of the bar with file so the sharp edge of the cut wouldn't dig into the second steel wall.  Also a little oil on the end helped it slide in with a little wiggling and a tap with the hammer.

Dab of paint on the edge of the drilled hole and the cut end of the bar.

With the driver side hinge supporting the weight and the gate almost closed, the "B" end of the torsion bar slipped right into the hole.  Let the weight of the gate down and tilt to open slightly and it slipped right onto the passenger side hinge.  Then with the gate completely closed to take the torsion off I pushed the "B" side up another inch or two into the tailgate.

love

'05 DGM, WBH, Z71, Mods: DashMat, Mag Light, Fire Ext, Cargo net, Mud Flaps, Nerf Bars, Rear Headrest mod, Amber DRLs, FTDRL. All-on-High, Tailgate CubbyCam, Tailgate torsion bar, avpowerlocks for tail & saddles, Steel Slide, Aux Audio Interface.
RaleighBermudaBlu

This Bowtie Man finally got his first Avalanche!!!

WWW Awards
« Reply #99 on: 10/19/07 08:26 AM »

Good writeup.  I would like to see this in person.

Tom

Tom (Knight)
Wilmington, NC

2006 Bermuda Blue "Snugalanche" Z71 Westin Sportsman CPS brush guard, PIAA 5250s, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Remote Tailgate Lock, Snakeeyes Backup Camera, Body Color Factory Flares and Moldings, Bermuda Blue Snugtop with power Snuglid, GM OEM CK807's with 285/55/20 BFG AT KO's, Catchalls front and rear, Wet Okole seat covers front and rear, Diamond Pete's Bedslide.
Z66 BUTCH

I love Dachshunds

Awards
« Reply #100 on: 10/19/07 02:07 PM »

Good writeup.  I would like to see this in person.

Tom

We are having a little GTG in JASPER INDIANA TOMORROW, Oct the 20th. Come on out Tom, there will be at least 2 Avalanche there with this mod!

Butch

Z66 BUTCH

I love Dachshunds

Awards
« Reply #101 on: 10/19/07 02:12 PM »

Ohh, you will also get a chance to see THE TIP SWITCH MOD for the tailgate!

Butch

pamchuck

Awards
« Reply #102 on: 10/20/07 09:24 AM »

Well, I ordered the torsion bar earlier this week, received it yesterday, my son and I installed it earlier this morning and it is fantastic! The directions/suggestions from everyone made the job easy.  Thanks to everyone!

04 Av,cladded,  dark blue metallic, fully loaded, mods: sail panel leds, putco stainless grille,  modified factory air box, disco map lights, GM factory aux.   transmission cooler, all 4 on hi, tailgate torsion bar, more to come!
Sirshopolot

Power To The Avy!

Awards
« Reply #103 on: 10/21/07 09:42 AM »

Well, I ordered the torsion bar earlier this week, received it yesterday, my son and I installed it earlier this morning and it is fantastic! The directions/suggestions from everyone made the job easy.  Thanks to everyone!

Congatulations pamchuck  Thumbs up!

Sirshopolot
Snoball

WWW Awards
« Reply #104 on: 10/29/07 06:05 AM »

I have the EZ Down on, but I ordered the torsion bar and just got it. I like the fact that it lightens the weight...but I have a question. Does the torsion bar only assist with lifting the tailgate up to close it or does it lower the tailgate slowly? Now, I just lift the handle and open the tailgate a few inches and let go, it drops automatically very slowly. Great if your hands are full. How does the operation of the torsion bar work on opening the tailgate. Does the tailgate have to be held while it lowers. Could you use both devices if it doesn't? What are the thoughts?

04 Summit White Z71 wbh
Sarge E5, USMC

Awards
« Reply #105 on: 10/29/07 06:19 AM »

with the torsion bar installed, if you drop the tailgate, it drops. It'll bounce at the bottom under the spring tension, but it will drop. Without the torsion bar, the thing obviously SLAMS down.
MS03 2500

We shall never forget.

Awards
« Reply #106 on: 10/29/07 06:46 AM »

Good question Snoball, I don't think anyone has tried both devices my guess is with both there may not be enough weigh for it to drop by itself. Sarge is right with the  torsion bar it you left go it drops pretty fast.
« Last Edit: 10/29/07 06:31 PM by MichiganSilver03 » Logged

2003 2500
moosc

Awards
« Reply #107 on: 10/29/07 05:58 PM »

this mod is so awsome ive got to order it saw and used it at STI very nice
« Last Edit: 10/30/07 03:55 PM by moosc » Logged
Snoball

WWW Awards
« Reply #108 on: 10/30/07 03:38 PM »

OK, I got it installed. I have to say that if you have a torsion bar or an EZ Down and NOT BOTH, you are missing out. I have had the EZ down for awhile and love it. But all the great posts and instructions about the torsion bar made me want it too.
     I removed the EZ down and the tailgate and installed the torsion bar per Gadgets instructions...all went well but I needed to really hammer the end into the tailgate. It was tough. Then I re-installed the EZ down. You will not believe what a difference it makes to have it go down on its own with the EZ down and then lift it like a feather with the torsion bar.
     If you have done one or the other, you will have to install both. You get the benefits of both units and no drawbacks. This is so cool.

04 Summit White Z71 wbh
MS03 2500

We shall never forget.

Awards
« Reply #109 on: 10/30/07 03:41 PM »

Good job Snoball

So it will drop down by itself.

2003 2500
Snoball

WWW Awards
« Reply #110 on: 10/31/07 05:26 AM »

Just open the handle and pull open a few inches and we let it fall slowly on its own. Too good to be true!

04 Summit White Z71 wbh
TLwiz

Awards
« Reply #111 on: 10/31/07 06:28 AM »

Where can I get the EZdown for a good price?  I also want to get the torsion bar, so is there a good place & price for that too?  Thanks!

'03 SOM Z-71, OnStar, XM, all the toys!
HID, custom projectors!
Hella E55 HID projector driving lights in place of oem fogs
Cadi chrome handles all around, in & out.
Chrome Mesh grille
Chrome bumper steps
FTALEDDRLs
Roof Marker Lights
Lovin' my work truck!
MS03 2500

We shall never forget.

Awards
« Reply #112 on: 10/31/07 07:21 AM »

Probably online I looked around locally and could not find them, I ended up getting my EZDown off ebay.

2003 2500
Snoball

WWW Awards
« Reply #113 on: 10/31/07 04:24 PM »

The company website is www.ezdown.com, Chevy Silverado for years 1999 to 2007 part # 4432XJ; retail for $69.99.
 Order it off eBay; they have several for $55.00 with free shipping. Do not forget to look at the photos so you bend the bracket so it does not rub on the metal. The EZ Downs are not made for the Avalanche, so you need to modify it slightly.
« Last Edit: 10/31/07 09:52 PM by Snoball » Logged

04 Summit White Z71 wbh
Wild Eyed Dream

06 AV Z71

Awards
« Reply #114 on: 11/04/07 03:27 AM »

Will EZ Lift by Hoppy and EZ down work together?
I haven't heard anyone say anything about EZ lift by Hoppy.
I was planning on EZ lift this week but if there's something I should know please let me know.
 Thumbs up!

Keep It Between The Lines
Snoball

WWW Awards
« Reply #115 on: 11/05/07 06:46 AM »

The EZ down is by Hoppy.

04 Summit White Z71 wbh
HiYoSilver

On permanent R & R, Retired and Riding. :)

Awards
« Reply #116 on: 11/08/07 01:36 PM »

Thanks everyone (especially _gadget_) for the hints, trips and tricks to this mod. Ordered mine Monday, got it Wednesday and installed it today.  Thumbs up!

Sirshopolot had shown me this at the Renaissance GTG and it was my son that insisted I get this. You just have to love a boy that wants to mod with you. love
« Last Edit: 11/08/07 01:39 PM by HiYoSilver » Logged

05' Blue Z71
05' Maroon Impala
03' Silver Goldwing, the reason for HiYoSilver.
03' Maroon Silverwing
Sirshopolot

Power To The Avy!

Awards
« Reply #117 on: 11/10/07 06:37 AM »

OK, I got it installed. I have to say that if you have a torsion bar or an EZ Down and NOT BOTH, you are missing out. I have had the EZ down for awhile and love it. But all the great posts and instructions about the torsion bar made me want it too.
     I removed the EZ down and the tailgate and installed the torsion bar per Gadgets instructions...all went well but I needed to really hammer the end into the tailgate. It was tough. Then I re-installed the EZ down. You will not believe what a difference it makes to have it go down on its own with the EZ down and then lift it like a feather with the torsion bar.
     If you have done one or the other, you will have to install both. You get the benefits of both units and no drawbacks. This is so cool.

This is curious.  I didn't have to do any reaming, any pounding, or anything but guide the rod into the holes drilled in the tailgate and I had my WIFE helping me and it went in as smooth as butter.  Not sure why anyone would have to pound the rod in or ream the holes.

Sirshopolot
Sirshopolot

Power To The Avy!

Awards
« Reply #118 on: 11/10/07 06:40 AM »

Thanks everyone (especially _gadget_) for the hints, trips and tricks to this mod. Ordered mine Monday, got it Wednesday and installed it today.  Thumbs up!

Sirshopolot had shown me this at the Renaissance GTG and it was my son that insisted I get this. You just have to love a boy that wants to mod with you. love

Gotta love it.  Thumbs up!

Kids are great  Hope everyone love it!

Sirshopolot
CntrySngr72

There is no other...

Awards
« Reply #119 on: 12/07/07 10:05 AM »

Got my Torsion bar in the mail yesterday...now all I need is a MOD GTG and I'll be set!!  Thumbs up!

NEW: 2013 LTZ 1500, Silver Ice Metalic
Traded #2: 2007 LTZ 1500
Traded: 2002 Z71 1500

Sirshopolot

Power To The Avy!

Awards
« Reply #120 on: 12/08/07 09:08 AM »

Got my Torsion bar in the mail yesterday...now all I need is a MOD GTG and I'll be set!!  Thumbs up!

Congratulations!  You'll love it!

I bet you won't wait till the next GTG.  Didit and Z66Butch can help.  Thumbs up!

Sirshopolot
CntrySngr72

There is no other...

Awards
« Reply #121 on: 12/08/07 10:17 PM »

That's my hope...that they'll offer to come give me a hand with it! 

Snoball

WWW Awards
« Reply #122 on: 12/09/07 09:30 AM »

Hey- has anyone else installed both? They are working so great, I wondered why nobody was doing it before.

04 Summit White Z71 wbh
Donnie1
CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #123 on: 12/22/07 12:01 PM »

I just completed the Torsion Bar mod and have just one word, WOW!!! What a difference that thing makes. Had  the wife help me put the tailgate back on. It is much easier if you put the tailgate almost straight up and down to insert the rod. I also wobbled out the hole in the tailgate just a bit.

I think this was definitely the best $20 I have spent on the av yet.

After we got the tailgate back on, I had the wife put the tailgate up. She grabbed it with both hands and dang near threw it through the back window. Made it very easy to close and open.

I didn't take pics but with our Av being black, you wouldn;t have been able to see much anyway. The pics in the opening thread are perfect and the measurements were dead on.

A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice. Bill Cosby
Sirshopolot

Power To The Avy!

Awards
« Reply #124 on: 12/23/07 06:14 AM »

Gotta love $20 mods that make such a dramatic change for the better  Thumbs up!

Just have to be careful not to scratch the paint when reinstalling the tailgate.

Sirshopolot
Donnie1

Awards
« Reply #125 on: 12/23/07 06:56 AM »

Gotta love $20 mods that make such a dramatic change for the better  Thumbs up!

Just have to be careful not to scratch the paint when reinstalling the tailgate.

Yep that was my biggest fear as well.

A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice. Bill Cosby
vanlagan

Deere Haulin' Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #126 on: 01/02/08 06:46 PM »

I received mine today and installed it. I had a very loud "snapping" noise when opening and closing it.
I took the gate off to re-adjust the bar going into the tailgate. As I tried to put the gate back on the torsion bar snapped at the bed corner! So much for an easy $20.00 mod. I'll live without it!  banghead

2004 Z71 Dark Ming Blue WBH Avalanche, Nasta Nerf Bars, Ambers, Snug Top XUV , Bed Hatches, Easylift. Just got started on this Mod Madness!
moosc

Awards
« Reply #127 on: 01/02/08 06:52 PM »

I received mine today and installed it. I had a very loud "snapping" noise when opening and closing it.
I took the gate off to re-adjust the bar going into the tailgate. As I tried to put the gate back on the torsion bar snapped at the bed corner! So much for an easy $20.00 mod. I'll live without it!  banghead
ouch thats not good banghead
Sirshopolot

Power To The Avy!

Awards
« Reply #128 on: 01/02/08 06:52 PM »

I would call and tell the company.  Get a replacement or refund!

Sirshopolot
vanlagan

Deere Haulin' Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #129 on: 01/02/08 07:19 PM »

I sent them an email. We'll see what they do.

2004 Z71 Dark Ming Blue WBH Avalanche, Nasta Nerf Bars, Ambers, Snug Top XUV , Bed Hatches, Easylift. Just got started on this Mod Madness!
Donnie1

Awards
« Reply #130 on: 01/02/08 08:34 PM »

That sucks. I heard a popping on mine a couple of times as well but it didn't break. I figured it was just settling. It doesn't pop anymore. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Aquaholic21

I love this thing!

Awards
« Reply #131 on: 01/03/08 01:13 PM »

Ordered the torsion bar!  I won't get in any trouble for this one like I would if I bought train horns today.
Av-n-Taz

Taz, my AV co-pilot. Member 9440

Awards
« Reply #132 on: 01/03/08 10:59 PM »

Torsion Bar on the way.
Truck Customizers, $22.31 + $6.99 shipping.

Just wished I'd seen this sooner. It's supposed to hit the mid to upper 40's this weekend.

02 SOM Z71, FTADRL's/Turn, All6onHi w/50W Fogs, 4 brake lights, VRStainless Straps, “poor man’s LOF”, Hypertech PPIII, Taylor TV50s, EZ Bedslide, DE-Amp Bypass, Leveling keys. FlowMaster 70 Series, "Vette" servo, trailer wiring outlet moved to bumper.
Sirshopolot

Power To The Avy!

Awards
« Reply #133 on: 01/04/08 02:53 AM »

Torsion Bar on the way.
Truck Customizers, $22.31 + $6.99 shipping.

Just wished I'd seen this sooner. It's supposed to hit the mid to upper 40's this weekend.

Shout out to Nebraska from a Lincoln native  Wave

Post your review after install.

Sirshopolot
vanlagan

Deere Haulin' Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #134 on: 01/04/08 03:47 PM »

Problem solved!
I sent them an email explaining that it broke, they sent me an email asking for a picture of the broken torsion bar. I sent it and they sent out a replacement today. Gotta love a company that stands behind their product!

Sirshopolot

Power To The Avy!

Awards
« Reply #135 on: 01/04/08 08:59 PM »

Problem solved!
I sent them an email explaining that it broke, they sent me an email asking for a picture of the broken torsion bar. I sent it and they sent out a replacement today. Gotta love a company that stands behind their product!

That's awesome!

Thanks for sharing  Thumbs up!

Sirshopolot
Av-n-Taz

Awards
« Reply #136 on: 01/05/08 04:55 PM »

Sirshopolot,
  Shout back.

Anyway, torsion bar arrived, this morning  Shocked  Cheesy .
2 days, that's the fastest I've ever gotten something I've ordered.

No need for additional notes on install. _gadget_ is right on the money with his installation for the Av. I double checked the weights on mine with a digital fishing scale. Same as _gadget_'s, took 28 lbs of pull to lift it from the fully down position, stock. After install it only took 8 lbs of pull. What a difference.

This is awesome.  Thumbs up!  love

Can't wait to do the EZDown.

EJ

02 SOM Z71, FTADRL's/Turn, All6onHi w/50W Fogs, 4 brake lights, VRStainless Straps, “poor man’s LOF”, Hypertech PPIII, Taylor TV50s, EZ Bedslide, DE-Amp Bypass, Leveling keys. FlowMaster 70 Series, "Vette" servo, trailer wiring outlet moved to bumper.
05silverado

Awards
« Reply #137 on: 01/05/08 05:56 PM »

For all the Canuck members out there. Found the EZ Lift tailgate bars at Princess auto for about $14 dollars.   Can't wait to install it when the snow clears up!

Have Fun! :wave:
CntrySngr72

There is no other...

Awards
« Reply #138 on: 01/06/08 10:37 AM »

Going over to a buddy's house (he has a garage), going to do this install today...wish me luck!

vanlagan

Deere Haulin' Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #139 on: 01/06/08 03:34 PM »

I've got a favor to ask. Can someone that has one of these installed and working properly take a picture of the bar going into the tailgate while it is in the closed or better yet tailgate removed position?
I am confused on how far into the gate the bar actually goes.
Thanks in advance!
Thom

WILDFIRE

Awards
« Reply #140 on: 01/06/08 04:33 PM »

Going over to a buddy's house (he has a garage), going to do this install today...wish me luck!
hope it goes well

CntrySngr72

There is no other...

Awards
« Reply #141 on: 01/06/08 07:22 PM »

Well, I got it in, but it wasn't easy.  Where the bar goes into the vehicle was a pain to get in all the way...and yes, I took 3/4" off...I need to get some touch up paint for that area where it goes in... banghead

But, it is in and works great!   Thumbs up!

WILDFIRE

Awards
« Reply #142 on: 01/06/08 08:26 PM »

Well, I got it in, but it wasn't easy.  Where the bar goes into the vehicle was a pain to get in all the way...and yes, I took 3/4" off...I need to get some touch up paint for that area where it goes in... banghead

good deal!

Av-n-Taz

Awards
« Reply #143 on: 01/06/08 09:46 PM »

I've got a favor to ask. Can someone that has one of these installed and working properly take a picture of the bar going into the tailgate while it is in the closed or better yet tailgate removed position?
I am confused on how far into the gate the bar actually goes.
Thanks in advance!
Thom

vanlagan,
       I know it's difficult to get the end into the tailgate, but it's easier with some help. The vertical end goes all the way to the 90 degree bend. The next little bend is there to keep the long horizontal section from rubbing against the bottom of the tailgate.

One note to others. It's inevitable that you're going to bend the sheet metal around the drilled hole. Trimming the 3/4" off the end helps. But, it's not a perfect cure. I went ahead and inserted a length of 3/8" steel bar and bent the sheet metal before hand. It definitely helped. After trimmg the end, I ground an angle in the end facing forward, as others did. This allows you to keep as much of the bar as possible. This helps to spread the pressure against a long area. And, prevent the sheet metal from tearing and/or the bar from sliding out the hole.

This is a great mod. I wish GM had had seen this years ago.

EJ

vanlagan

Deere Haulin' Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #144 on: 01/07/08 05:57 PM »

vanlagan,
       I know it's difficult to get the end into the tailgate, but it's easier with some help. The vertical end goes all the way to the 90 degree bend. The next little bend is there to keep the long horizontal section from rubbing against the bottom of the tailgate.

So you are saying that the horizontal part of the torsion bar is actually touching the bottom of the gate?

Av-n-Taz

Awards
« Reply #145 on: 01/07/08 11:38 PM »

No. If installed correctly, the long horizontal section does not rub the tailgate. That way it won't rub the paint off, and/or make noises.

EJ

Hugz

Double Rainbow find me at the bottom of one!

Awards
« Reply #146 on: 01/07/08 11:56 PM »

Got one for my Bday this past weekend.. 

Thanx moosc....

Guess its time to have a MODDING GTG again..!!!!!
Sirshopolot

Power To The Avy!

Awards
« Reply #147 on: 01/08/08 03:09 AM »

Got one for my Bday this past weekend.. 

Thanx moosc....

Guess its time to have a MODDING GTG again..!!!!!

Congratulations Hugz!  You'll love it.  It's an easy install and if you pay attention and are careful you won't scratch the corners of the Av.

Sirshopolot
vanlagan

Deere Haulin' Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #148 on: 01/11/08 08:44 PM »

Got the replacement today and had it installed in under 5 minutes. Made the same "slapping" noise for the first 5-6 open and closes and then went silent. I'm thrilled. Thanks for the follow-up info. Av-n-taz!

Sirshopolot

Power To The Avy!

Awards
« Reply #149 on: 01/13/08 01:17 PM »

Yeah but do you love it?  Does it work great?

Sirshopolot
Av-n-Taz

Awards
« Reply #150 on: 01/13/08 06:24 PM »

Got the replacement today and had it installed in under 5 minutes. Made the same "slapping" noise for the first 5-6 open and closes and then went silent. I'm thrilled. Thanks for the follow-up info. Av-n-taz!

You're welcome, vanlagan.

You know, that slapping sound might be or was, the torsion bar snapping the top of the cladding, above the rear bumper. I remember, while trying to get mine inserted into the tailgate, it was "snapping". Kinda like playing cards in the bike spokes.

EJ

Avie

I am a professional! OOo.. what does that do?!!

Awards
« Reply #151 on: 01/29/08 07:22 PM »

No problem with the install..

It works great!! Highly recommended.. I'm happy with it.  Thumbs up!

I love this thing!

Awards
« Reply #152 on: 01/30/08 11:48 AM »

I did mine alone - the hard part was getting the tailgate portion into the 2nd hole (further inside the tailgate) - I scratched the paint doing that, but you can't see it with the gate closed.

FYI - the tent works fine with this installed, it doesn't interfere with the tailgate straps.
Sirshopolot

Power To The Avy!

Awards
« Reply #153 on: 02/02/08 05:50 PM »

I did mine alone - the hard part was getting the tailgate portion into the 2nd hole (further inside the tailgate) - I scratched the paint doing that, but you can't see it with the gate closed.

FYI - the tent works fine with this installed, it doesn't interfere with the tailgate straps.
Shocked OMG  How in the world did you do that!?

Sirshopolot
moosc

Awards
« Reply #154 on: 02/02/08 05:56 PM »

Hugz did you get yours installed yet Thumbs up!
Aquaholic21

I love this thing!

Awards
« Reply #155 on: 02/06/08 01:23 PM »

Shocked OMG  How in the world did you do that!?

Me:  Cool!
I didn't want to wait for help - and once I had scratched it I was even more determined to finish it.

It's not that hard to do, I would've been okay had I covered the scratched areas with rags.
Freebie

Freebeer?

WWW Awards
« Reply #156 on: 04/05/08 05:44 PM »

I just wanted to bump this thread up... there were a couple folks interested in this mod at the Cabela's gtg today... finally got mine installed and love it!

Sold: 02 Z71, FM40s, FTDRLs, All6onHi, All4onBrake, Sail Panel Leds,
Maglite mod, bumper cupholders, billet grille, blue interior glow, ambers! 
MS03 2500

We shall never forget.

Awards
« Reply #157 on: 04/05/08 05:46 PM »

I bet Bean loves it too.

2003 2500
Hugz

Awards
« Reply #158 on: 04/05/08 05:46 PM »

Hugz did you get yours installed yet Thumbs up!
Yep installed it a few weeks ago..  WhY DIDnT I DO IT SOOnER..  LOVE THIS MOD....  One of the Best for the money no doubt..!!!!
Heidi Ho

Awards
« Reply #159 on: 04/05/08 06:25 PM »

I played with Huggy's and I am amazed with the difference...I ordered one just like it  yesterday!!!

ChevyGuyNC

Awards
« Reply #160 on: 04/05/08 06:52 PM »

I played with Huggy's and I am amazed with the difference...I ordered one just like it  yesterday!!!

Naughty girl!   

Funny, so did I!   Thumbs up!
Heidi Ho

Awards
« Reply #161 on: 04/05/08 06:55 PM »

Me------> Beating<---------Jeff

SRFNSNO

Somthing new to mod

Awards
« Reply #162 on: 04/05/08 07:01 PM »

I did this today. Man it is nice!
Install in minutes! Thumbs up!

02AV-Fabtec 6", KnN, Ram Air Hood,Magnasun Super Charger, Dynatech Headers, MagnaFlow,17" Hutchison Dual Bead Locks,Interco All-Terrain 35"(lot of trimming up front),SSBC Tri-Piston Brakes & Colored SS Brake Lines, Cognito Steering, Flamed Puco Grill, My Flames are Spreading!
Thule Rack (For Rides),+++GHOST FLAMES....
SRFNSNO

Somthing new to mod

Awards
« Reply #163 on: 04/09/08 04:22 AM »

Tools a Drill (1/8" piolot bit) 3/8" drill bit, Tape  & a helper.

The T-bar goes into the hole you drilled in the Bed Rail and you then drill a hole in dottom of tail-gate for other end of t-bar.

02AV-Fabtec 6", KnN, Ram Air Hood,Magnasun Super Charger, Dynatech Headers, MagnaFlow,17" Hutchison Dual Bead Locks,Interco All-Terrain 35"(lot of trimming up front),SSBC Tri-Piston Brakes & Colored SS Brake Lines, Cognito Steering, Flamed Puco Grill, My Flames are Spreading!
Thule Rack (For Rides),+++GHOST FLAMES....
BigBlackAv
Charter Member

BBA status: trading in...check my Garage Sale!

Awards
« Reply #164 on: 04/09/08 04:40 AM »

No pictures

'07 Midnight Warrior-BAK-TAR-PCIII-V&H Big Shots-Lots of black powder coat!
'03 z71-Onyx Black-Radix with a 4L80E and 14 bolt rear end plus lots of extras!
Web

Awards
« Reply #165 on: 04/09/08 05:51 AM »

No pictures

ummm maybe start at the beginning........ Big laughter with tears         Wave
Tartan Terror

I am fearing ChevyLuv02!!!!!

Awards
« Reply #166 on: 04/14/08 01:01 PM »

You aint kidding about how great this Mod is! I just did mine and I have always been afraid of letting the gate slip out of my hands while fumbling and now it lifts and drops so easy!!! Great stuff here.

2005 1500 Z71 Av Silver and Cladded, 285/70R-17 Goodyear Wrangler Silentarmor, Procomp 17x8 Cast Blast Beadlock style wheels, WAAG Frontrunner and rear bumper guard, PIAA 520 Off Road Lights, Polar Bear Taillight guards,  Leveling kit, Flowmaster 50 SUV muffler, and Decal upgrades, Turbo style hood scoop, Aux fuse box, LOF lights, Recon LED Smoked Cab lights12v Power socket in bed, Sail panel windows, Steel Slide, Ipod adapter and more to come!
myscndfvrtride

AV's what brought us,but family keeps us+the hat

WWW Awards
« Reply #167 on: 04/26/08 10:24 AM »

Just ordered mine today! chevy

SUPPORT YOUR NATIONAL GTG'S! Remember THE ALAMO..!!!!!
Sirshopolot

Power To The Avy!

Awards
« Reply #168 on: 04/27/08 08:31 AM »

Just ordered mine today! chevy
No pictures   

You'll love it!

Sirshopolot
pvpeacock

"Some day this war's going to end."

Awards
« Reply #169 on: 04/27/08 07:42 PM »

First off, a big thanks to Gadget for starting this thread out.  The instructions were invaluable in installing mine this afternoon.  However, I do have one question.  Is the "B" side of the torsion bar supposed to go all the way into the bottom of the tailgate up the 90 degree angle?  I was able to hammer most (80%) into the tailgate, but not all of it.  It works just fine and doesn't appear to be rubbing on anything, but if you squat down and look between the bottom of the tailgate when it's closed and the bumper cladding, you can see it sticking down a little bit.  Is this normal or should I reinstall it?  If the latter, are there any tricks to getting it in all the way?  Thanks in advance for your comments.   Thumbs up!
Web

Awards
« Reply #170 on: 04/27/08 07:47 PM »

When I did mine.. I had to get a longer drill to drill about 4-5 inchs in..I hit a second wall... Wave
ohiobellboy

2 Eagles

Awards
« Reply #171 on: 06/09/08 07:23 PM »

Just did mine tonight  Thumbs up!

Thanks Gadget for doing the start on this Cheers!

Just one thing, Take off you LOF before doing this, I didn't have the bar the whole way into my 'gate and put a little crack in my LOF, took out one brake light on the bar but the reverse and scanners still work.

Avy #1 - '04 Z71 Cladded (dark blue metallic) Purchased 9/07 with way too many mods to list. Current mileage 169,*** Nice weather only now.
Avy #2 - '05 Z71 WBH (Bermuda Blue) Twiggy purchased 11/11 Current mileage 151,*** Now used as my winter beater
Avy #3 - '05 Z71 Cladded (Bermuda Blue) Purchased 9/12 as a daily driver for Twiggy. A few mods. Current mileage is 142,***
Other Summer toy - 2011 FLTRUSE (Slate/Black) also called a CVO Road Glide Ultra (Only made one year) Lots of fun on two wheels!
MS03 2500

We shall never forget.

Awards
« Reply #172 on: 06/09/08 07:32 PM »

OBB did ya do it by yourself, I was going to putmine on last weekend, but my buddy (Freebie) bailed out on me.

2003 2500
ohiobellboy

2 Eagles

Awards
« Reply #173 on: 06/09/08 07:53 PM »

OBB did ya do it by yourself, I was going to putmine on last weekend, but my buddy (Freebie) bailed out on me.
Made the teenagers earn their keep Big laughter with tears Just make sure you drill far enough into the tailgate for the bar to go in all the way and it'll go right on. It's definately a 2+person job though unless you're an octopus.

Avy #1 - '04 Z71 Cladded (dark blue metallic) Purchased 9/07 with way too many mods to list. Current mileage 169,*** Nice weather only now.
Avy #2 - '05 Z71 WBH (Bermuda Blue) Twiggy purchased 11/11 Current mileage 151,*** Now used as my winter beater
Avy #3 - '05 Z71 Cladded (Bermuda Blue) Purchased 9/12 as a daily driver for Twiggy. A few mods. Current mileage is 142,***
Other Summer toy - 2011 FLTRUSE (Slate/Black) also called a CVO Road Glide Ultra (Only made one year) Lots of fun on two wheels!
CodeBlueEMT

Awards
« Reply #174 on: 06/10/08 05:11 AM »

Made the teenagers earn their keep Big laughter with tears Just make sure you drill far enough into the tailgate for the bar to go in all the way and it'll go right on. It's definately a 2+person job though unless you're an octopus.

Always good to get "a little help from my friends". 8 arms would be a plus...LOL.

Shayne
Didit

Awards
« Reply #175 on: 06/10/08 04:04 PM »

Always good to get "a little help from my friends". 8 arms would be a plus...LOL.

Shayne

8 will get in the way, 6 will suffice, lol

Didit

btw Flyineagle and myself did Motodj's in a campground, took less than fifteen minutes, no scratches what so ever!

ohiobellboy

2 Eagles

Awards
« Reply #176 on: 06/10/08 08:35 PM »

I've learned by doing this one. I kinda watched CodeBlue's install at Hugz ( Hey, someone had to take pix) any more I help with should be a breeze.

xceebeex

Awards
« Reply #177 on: 07/03/08 07:59 AM »

I think I am gonna order the parts and do this as my next mod!

For the people suggesting painting around the hole's drilled, could you just use a rubber grommet instead?

2004 Z71 WBH Avalanche
2007 Dodge Caliber SXT Sport
2001 Suzuki SV650S
Web

Awards
« Reply #178 on: 07/03/08 09:47 AM »

The hole is the right size for the bar to go in ...If you drill a bigger hole to put in a gromet you might just push it away with pressure from the bar.  Just put some paint on a Q tip... the bar covers lots of it anyway.. Wave
xceebeex

Awards
« Reply #179 on: 07/03/08 10:02 AM »

The hole is the right size for the bar to go in ...If you drill a bigger hole to put in a gromet you might just push it away with pressure from the bar.  Just put some paint on a Q tip... the bar covers lots of it anyway.. Wave

Gotcha. I just figured that the grommet would look a lot nicer, but if there is just enough room then I guess it would be tough. I may try it without increasing the hole size just to see if it works since grommets cost next to nothing.

2004 Z71 WBH Avalanche
2001 Suzuki SV650S
Web

Awards
« Reply #180 on: 07/03/08 10:11 AM »

Once it's in, you'll never notice it... looks wise... but it's great on getting rid of the weight of the tailgate... Thumbs up!
xceebeex

Awards
« Reply #181 on: 07/03/08 10:16 AM »

Once it's in, you'll never notice it... looks wise... but it's great on getting rid of the weight of the tailgate... Thumbs up!

Yea, I am not too worried about it either way.

I can't wait to get the parts in. I am going to try and do the mod next weekend if I get around to it and the part comes in.

2004 Z71 WBH Avalanche
2001 Suzuki SV650S
CodeBlueEMT

Awards
« Reply #182 on: 07/08/08 07:52 AM »

When you drill into the bed rail, make sure you DO NOT drill through both walls. The bar needs to go into the outside hole and "up" against the inside of the bed rail. If you drill too far and go through both walls, it's a pain to make the upward turn with the bar.

Shayne
xceebeex

Awards
« Reply #183 on: 07/08/08 07:55 AM »

My bar comes in tomorrow and I plan on doing it this weekend! Can't wait.

2004 Z71 WBH Avalanche
2001 Suzuki SV650S
Sirshopolot

Power To The Avy!

Awards
« Reply #184 on: 07/08/08 02:54 PM »

You'll  love it

Sirshopolot
xceebeex

Awards
« Reply #185 on: 07/19/08 04:36 PM »

Well I put the bar in last weekend and just haven't had a chance to post about it. Anyway, it went fairly well, there were some tough parts and I cut things a little different, but overall it went well. It is a night and day difference too. Definitely one of the better mods anyone can do for these trucks.

One thing that I would mention when measuring to drill the holes; make sure you measure the 32.5 inches over from the hole you put by the tail light. That is one thing thats not mentioned in the directions. Depending on where you put your hole near the tail light, it may not be 32.5 inches over from the cup. Just make sure you double check things before you drill.

2004 Z71 WBH Avalanche
2001 Suzuki SV650S
Donnie1

Awards
« Reply #186 on: 07/19/08 06:40 PM »

Well I put the bar in last weekend and just haven't had a chance to post about it. Anyway, it went fairly well, there were some tough parts and I cut things a little different, but overall it went well. It is a night and day difference too. Definitely one of the better mods anyone can do for these trucks.

One thing that I would mention when measuring to drill the holes; make sure you measure the 32.5 inches over from the hole you put by the tail light. That is one thing thats not mentioned in the directions. Depending on where you put your hole near the tail light, it may not be 32.5 inches over from the cup. Just make sure you double check things before you drill.

Glad things went for you in the end. Great suggestions as well.

Sirshopolot

Power To The Avy!

Awards
« Reply #187 on: 07/19/08 09:33 PM »

Good point xceebeex

Measure twice, drill once  Thumbs up!

Sirshopolot
ohiobellboy

2 Eagles

Awards
« Reply #188 on: 07/20/08 08:19 AM »

Good point xceebeex

Measure twice, drill once  Thumbs up!
I though ya needed 2 holes for this installation ? Grin

Good addition to the instruction xceebeex

mhough

Mi boyz is smartar then ur honur studant!

Awards
« Reply #189 on: 11/04/08 08:13 AM »

Where can one find one of these torsion bar lift assist made for an Avalanche??

I almost had a psychic girlfriend, but she left me before we met.
I am a dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac.  I lay awake at night wondering if there really is a doG.
MoAv

Hee, hee, heeeeee.....

Awards
« Reply #190 on: 11/04/08 08:20 AM »

This is the one mhough - it doesn't say Avalanche specifically, but it's the one we're using.  Guess the Silvy & Av are pretty much the same thing...LINK

sssMOkinAV

got Mo?

Awards
« Reply #191 on: 11/04/08 08:43 AM »

This is the one mhough - it doesn't say Avalanche specifically, but it's the one we're using.  Guess the Silvy & Av are pretty much the same thing...LINK

yup, thats the one i have... still havent installed it yet  Roll Eyes

sssMOked 2004 Onyx Black/LPM Z71

www.myspace.com/sssmokinav

mhough

Mi boyz is smartar then ur honur studant!

Awards
« Reply #192 on: 11/04/08 08:46 AM »

Thumbs up! Cool - thanks for the help!

I almost had a psychic girlfriend, but she left me before we met.
I am a dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac.  I lay awake at night wondering if there really is a doG.
cadboy1

Awards
« Reply #193 on: 12/18/08 02:54 PM »

One thing that I would mention when measuring to drill the holes; make sure you measure the 32.5 inches over from the hole you put by the tail light. That is one thing that's not mentioned in the directions. Depending on where you put your hole near the tail light, it may not be 32.5 inches over from the cup. Just make sure you double check things before you drill.

That is some great advice. I wish I read it before I installed mine today. I drilled my hole by the tail light close to the inside like the first post shows and measured from the cup for the 32.5 for the tailgate hole. When Trying to put the tailgate back on I was way off from being able to get the cup over the post. Doing it by myself was hard but Im not sure another person would have made it any easier as I just had to pull the gate and flex the torsion bar in ways it did not want to bend to get the cup on. If my hole was a 1/2 inch further in it would be sweet.

Oh well, it is in and working great and only a few scuffs on the cladding on the bumper sides. No big deal. Like a lot of things you do the first time the 2nd one you do would be easier and take half as long  love

04 AV 2500
01 Olds Aurora 4.0
07 Trailblazer SS AWD
Tartan Terror

I am fearing ChevyLuv02!!!!!

Awards
« Reply #194 on: 12/18/08 02:57 PM »

That is some great advice. I wish I read it before I installed mine today. I drilled my hole by the tail light close to the inside like the first post shows and measured from the cup for the 32.5 for the tailgate hole. When Trying to put the tailgate back on I was way off from being able to get the cup over the post. Doing it by myself was hard but Im not sure another person would have made it any easier as I just had to pull the gate and flex the torsion bar in ways it did not want to bend to get the cup on. If my hole was a 1/2 inch further in it would be sweet.

Oh well, it is in and working great and only a few scuffs on the cladding on the bumper sides. No big deal. Like a lot of things you do the first time the 2nd one you do would be easier and take half as long  love

You should have called me. Anyway Im glad it worked out for you.

2005 1500 Z71 Av Silver and Cladded, 285/70R-17 Goodyear Wrangler Silentarmor, Procomp 17x8 Cast Blast Beadlock style wheels, WAAG Frontrunner and rear bumper guard, PIAA 520 Off Road Lights, Polar Bear Taillight guards,  Leveling kit, Flowmaster 50 SUV muffler, and Decal upgrades, Turbo style hood scoop, Aux fuse box, LOF lights, Recon LED Smoked Cab lights12v Power socket in bed, Sail panel windows, Steel Slide, Ipod adapter and more to come!
cadboy1

Awards
« Reply #195 on: 12/18/08 03:10 PM »

You should have called me. Anyway Im glad it worked out for you.

It was spur of the moment. I am finally feeling a little better today and was getting bored sitting around  Cheesy I also installed a 12v outlet on the new sled. A factory Polaris unit that included the harness. No cutting or splicing. I should tell Harry about that  Big laughter with tears

04 AV 2500
01 Olds Aurora 4.0
07 Trailblazer SS AWD
Sirshopolot

Power To The Avy!

Awards
« Reply #196 on: 04/08/09 01:48 AM »

Gotta have mod!  Thumbs up!

Bump for new members

Sirshopolot
djhype7

My Baby, My Avy

Awards
« Reply #197 on: 04/09/09 10:03 AM »

Gotta have mod!  Thumbs up!

Bump for new members

Stop teasing me!!!

DJ Hype

'03 Z66 Onyx "BadA$$" Black, NALL FTDRLs + matching signals, All-On-High, 893 Fogs-On-Low, Silverstar Ultra Lows, 12V bed outlet, Relocated Trailer Plug, MagLite mount, CAFCNA/MichAvy stickers in "Goo" position, Complete Alpine/JL setup with JL Console + Sirius + Avy HUmount, Optima RedTop/145A Alt, Volant CAI, VentVisors & "Avalanche" Bug Deflector, Enhanced Avy Cladding Logos, EXT cluster, custom BowTie, REVOs, Aux Trans Cooler, EasyLift Tailgate Mod, RefinishRestored, MagnaFlow 12589, + more!
MooseAlanche

The Moose Is On The Loose

Awards
« Reply #198 on: 04/09/09 04:22 PM »

Great mod and inexpensive to boot  Thumbs up!

Pete
05 Black Avalanche 5.3L, Z71, Cladded, Chrome Brush Bar, Speed Grille, SS Nerf Bars, Fire & Ice Tailgate LED, Lund Bug Shield, Putco Tailgate Handle Cover, K&N #77 Cold Air Intake, PowerAid TBS, MagnaFlow SS CatBack. Since Joining CAFC: Amber FTDRL, LED Sail Panel Lights, Amber LED Grille Lights, Door Pocket LED's, Mag Lite, 3rd Brake & Tailgate Decals, Cargo Light, Billet Gas Door, Tailgate Cup Holders, Backup Cam, I Pod2car, WoLo Horn, PlasmaGlow Xeon Bulbs, Window Tint, Tailgate E-Z Up, HyperTech
MS03 2500

We shall never forget.

Awards
« Reply #199 on: 04/09/09 07:24 PM »

You folks should try it with the EZ Down also. Open it and let it float down and easy to lift back up. Thumbs up!

2003 2500
CntrySngr72

There is no other...

Awards
« Reply #200 on: 04/26/09 09:41 AM »

I need to do this on the 'new' 07!  How hard will it be with the reverse cam?

cadboy1

Awards
« Reply #201 on: 04/26/09 12:27 PM »

You folks should try it with the EZ Down also. Open it and let it float down and easy to lift back up. Thumbs up!

I got them both installed. There goes my only form of exercise  Big laughter with tears

04 AV 2500
01 Olds Aurora 4.0
07 Trailblazer SS AWD
djhype7

My Baby, My Avy

Awards
« Reply #202 on: 04/26/09 04:18 PM »

I did my torsion bar a week ago, and it's fantastic!

But, a word of advice... if you quickly glance over the instructions on the package, there is a picture of the tailgate off, "twisted" to get the bar into the tailgate.  I wish I had seen this picture sooner, I scratched the heck out of my bumpers where the hinge cups are!  banghead

DJ Hype

'03 Z66 Onyx "BadA$$" Black, NALL FTDRLs + matching signals, All-On-High, 893 Fogs-On-Low, Silverstar Ultra Lows, 12V bed outlet, Relocated Trailer Plug, MagLite mount, CAFCNA/MichAvy stickers in "Goo" position, Complete Alpine/JL setup with JL Console + Sirius + Avy HUmount, Optima RedTop/145A Alt, Volant CAI, VentVisors & "Avalanche" Bug Deflector, Enhanced Avy Cladding Logos, EXT cluster, custom BowTie, REVOs, Aux Trans Cooler, EasyLift Tailgate Mod, RefinishRestored, MagnaFlow 12589, + more!
Troublemaker

NY NY DC PA

Awards
« Reply #203 on: 04/26/09 05:48 PM »

I installed the one I bought from grnxnam last weekend.  Took some time, considering I had help from my son (10yrs old), and the weight of the tailgate was a little too much for him, but we got it installed and "twisted" after a couple tries.

I don't know what kept me from doing this MOD sooner!!!!

Click the pic to listen to along!
Web

Awards
« Reply #204 on: 04/26/09 05:51 PM »

I thought the 07 ups already have a helper system...
ItsStopher
CAFCNA Global Moderator

Awards
« Reply #205 on: 04/26/09 06:21 PM »

I just finished installing mine

WOW...

love it love it love it 
Hugz

Awards
« Reply #206 on: 04/26/09 07:09 PM »

Thought the newer models already had them... 
Journey2Alaska

Awards
« Reply #207 on: 04/26/09 07:12 PM »

Wave Oh my UNBELIEVABLE!!!! Its so much lighter now!! Definitely a gotta have for every AV.
Thanks B This made my life so much easier.... I used to have 2 hands and now I can use just couple fingers. IT IS AWESOME!!!!!

Wife of Itsstopher
MS03 2500

We shall never forget.

Awards
« Reply #208 on: 04/26/09 07:43 PM »

The 07's have the torsion bar. The EZ down is a shock absorber that attaches to the tailgate and body so it glides down, just pull it and it floats down. Having both works great.

2003 2500
Hugz

Awards
« Reply #209 on: 04/26/09 07:47 PM »

Another 2fer for sure..  Woohoo!
MS03 2500

We shall never forget.

Awards
« Reply #210 on: 04/26/09 07:50 PM »

It's made by a company called DeeZee Thumbs up!

2003 2500
CntrySngr72

There is no other...

Awards
« Reply #211 on: 04/27/09 09:19 AM »

The 07's have the torsion bar. The EZ down is a shock absorber that attaches to the tailgate and body so it glides down, just pull it and it floats down. Having both works great.
I guess I'll have to look...It sure seems heavier than my 02 with the torsion that I traded in.

I CHNGE

Always Modding the Mod !!!

Awards
« Reply #212 on: 06/10/09 01:00 PM »

Did the Hoppy tailgate torsion bar mod today...

Can't believe we waited so long to do it...became believers when we saw/felt the difference on another Av a couple weeks ago...

All I can say is this is a MUST do mod for the '02/'06 Av... Thumbs up! Thumbs up!

'04OnyxBlackZ71-4.10G80
Ordered11/05/03Born11/24/03Adopted12/15/03
XP-797BlackSpy18X9+325/60/18 Nitto T/Gs
Rancho Lift- w/9000XL shocks
Dual YellowTop Batteries
Strobes-FTAmbers-All4+FogOnHigh-885Fog-
PIAA 9006+PRO 80XT+60XT
SamcoHoses-Bumper+TailLightGuards
NFabNerfs-VRBars-Chrome AMP FuelDoor-DiamondPlateSteps
PlatinumCluster-AVICN1-BackUpCam-& more...
Just Do It!
I CHNGE

Always Modding the Mod !!!

Awards
« Reply #213 on: 06/10/09 01:23 PM »

Also just wanna say this mod is so cooooool...

It makes you want to just stand at the tailgate and open and close
and open and close
and open and close
and open and close
and open and close and...

Big laughter with tears

'04OnyxBlackZ71-4.10G80
Ordered11/05/03Born11/24/03Adopted12/15/03
XP-797BlackSpy18X9+325/60/18 Nitto T/Gs
Rancho Lift- w/9000XL shocks
Dual YellowTop Batteries
Strobes-FTAmbers-All4+FogOnHigh-885Fog-
PIAA 9006+PRO 80XT+60XT
SamcoHoses-Bumper+TailLightGuards
NFabNerfs-VRBars-Chrome AMP FuelDoor-DiamondPlateSteps
PlatinumCluster-AVICN1-BackUpCam-& more...
Just Do It!
CntrySngr72

There is no other...

Awards
« Reply #214 on: 06/10/09 01:38 PM »

Okay, so Didit and I looked, and the 07 LTZ I have does not have a torsion bar!

omlifecrew

Awards
« Reply #215 on: 06/10/09 02:05 PM »

My 07 tailgate drops like a ton of bricks.  Nothing to slow that sucker down. banghead Tailgate goes up real easy though.
« Last Edit: 06/10/09 02:09 PM by omlifecrew » Logged
RoarinRow

Northern California Chapter

WWW Awards
« Reply #216 on: 06/11/09 10:13 AM »

Haha, I love the torsion bar mod on my 02.  Like Cliff said:

It makes you want to just stand at the tailgate and open and close
and open and close
and open and close
and open and close
and open and close and...

Big laughter with tears

Question - so has anyone done this mod on an 07 or newer since CntrySngr72 said there is no torsion bar on the 07? 

2002 Summit White 1500 4X4 4.10, Poweraid TBS, Volant CAI, HPP3, Taylor Wires, TOC, Flowmaster 40 Series, Eibach Lowering Springs, Stillen Front Brakes, Belltech Shocks, PIAA 2100XT driving lights, Epic Gladiators with Proxes STII 285/50/20, Phantom Cluster, Pioneer Flip DVD, HID 6000k.  Click on pic.
omlifecrew

Awards
« Reply #217 on: 06/11/09 10:25 AM »

Question - so has anyone done this mod on an 07 or newer since CntrySngr72 said there is no torsion bar on the 07? 
[/quote]

Don't need it on an 07.  It is already built in. You can see the bar go into the tailgate on the left side of the hinge.  My tailgate is very light.
ReefnAV

MOD Bug Round 3!!!!

Awards
« Reply #218 on: 06/11/09 10:40 AM »

MichiganSilver03 -  are you using the Silverado 1500 E-Z down for your AV. They don't list it for an avalanche??

07 Black AV LTZ, Cashmere Leather, w/ 20" Custom Wheels, 305/50R20 Toyo Open Country A/T, Leveled, S/S Mesh Grill, Billet Emblems, Superchip Fastpaq, Flowmaster S40, AEM BruteForce CAI,  Maglight and Fire ext. MOD, Dual Battery, Rear DVD,Pioneer D3 with GPS-Rear Cam-Bluetooth-Sirius-Ipod, JL Stealth W6v2 Subs, Arc Audio Zeff Series Amps, Boston Accoustic Pro Front/Rear, Doors, JL Imaging Tweeters, LOF, LED tails, Smoked 3rd brake light, Painted Cladding, Suede Headliner and Amp Rack, LED Interior, + more!!
RoarinRow

WWW Awards
« Reply #219 on: 06/11/09 10:40 AM »

Don't need it on an 07.  It is already built in. You can see the bar go into the tailgate on the left side of the hinge.  My tailgate is very light.

Really, I swore I didn't see any bar when I look at ReefnAV's 07   Shocked   I need glasses!  Thanks for confirming omlifecrew   Thumbs up!

2002 Summit White 1500 4X4 4.10, Poweraid TBS, Volant CAI, HPP3, Taylor Wires, TOC, Flowmaster 40 Series, Eibach Lowering Springs, Stillen Front Brakes, Belltech Shocks, PIAA 2100XT driving lights, Epic Gladiators with Proxes STII 285/50/20, Phantom Cluster, Pioneer Flip DVD, HID 6000k.  Click on pic.
omlifecrew

Awards
« Reply #220 on: 06/11/09 10:47 AM »

It is hard to miss. It doesn't look like the aftermarket one where you have to drill into the frame.  It is built into the bump out on the tailgate side.  If you look at the left and right sides of the tailgate they look different.

Donnie1

Awards
« Reply #221 on: 06/12/09 09:02 AM »

It is hard to miss. It doesn't look like the aftermarket one where you have to drill into the frame.  It is built into the bump out on the tailgate side.  If you look at the left and right sides of the tailgate they look different.

I will have to take a look at EWeze01's 07 because his gate feels alot heavier than our 06 with the torsion bar mod. I looked at his the other day and did not see a bar but I was not looking where you said either. I know his was heavier though.

omlifecrew

Awards
« Reply #222 on: 06/12/09 10:15 AM »

Maybe I was a lucky winner at the dealership! Big laughter with tears
RoarinRow

WWW Awards
« Reply #223 on: 06/12/09 10:42 AM »

I will have to take a look at EWeze01's 07 because his gate feels alot heavier than our 06 with the torsion bar mod. I looked at his the other day and did not see a bar but I was not looking where you said either. I know his was heavier though.

Cliff and I agree that the '02/'06 AV with the EasyLift mod is much lighter than a stock 900 Series AV with the assist    Thumbs up!

omlifecrew

Awards
« Reply #224 on: 06/30/09 01:39 PM »

Just installed the Dee Zee EZ-down on the new 2007-up model avalanche.  Just purchase the silverado kit for a 2007 and it fits just the same.
U02F2

I love spell check

Awards
« Reply #225 on: 07/31/09 07:42 AM »

OK after reading all the posts, had to do this one.started with the hoppy bar measured ,measured again looked at directions  looked at gadgets post drank another beer drilled hole in the truck them measured again  drilled hole in tail gate. then the hard part, got my son and wife out there to help put the tail gate back on (did i mention it was  like 98 degrees with 90% humility) anyway after about 5 min of turning  grunting and a lot of sweat my wife explained to me i was off about 1/2 inch on the tail gate hole  banghead  thinking fast  i told her that was a drain hole while kicking the instructions under the truck. drilled the  new hole were she  marked it and  dam  it fit. worked like a charm. don't you hate it when there right.   i told her   love        this mod was done just for her and she thanked me . the dee zee ez lift  was a lot easier  to change. what  i    did was the bracket on the tail gate, i ground off the weld that holds the rodpin(  part that will rub inside of quaterpanel)   in place flattened  the bracket. i marked the rod pin on the bracket  then cut it out so the in would fit in the bracket instead of on top welded it back and !wa la! fit flush ,installed lift no rubbing and no more of the dropped tail gate syndrone. like every body has said this is a got to do mod
GRUMPE
CAFCNA 2011 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #226 on: 08/06/09 10:02 AM »

Did this mod today and it NOW works fine  GREAT mod, the tail gate is so much liter now.  Tomorrow I will do the ez down.

I do have one question though.  When the tailgate is closed are you supose to see the end of the torsion bar that goes into the bottom of the tailgate?  Right above the licence plate aera the gap between the bumper and the tailgate if you look under there i can see about 1 inch of the torsion bar.  It is all the way up into the tailgate.  I think it's suposed to be like that the way the bar is bent (shaped), just want to make sure.

Thanks,
RON
« Last Edit: 10/30/09 09:19 AM by GRUMPE » Logged

2004, 2 tone color kit*24" Wheels with 305 tires*Valancia Body Kit with Escalade rear kit** For All MY Mods of my old 03, LOOK HERE:]MY GARAGE
Troublemaker

NY NY DC PA

Awards
« Reply #227 on: 08/06/09 10:14 AM »

Did this mod today and it NOW works fine  GREAT mod, the tail gate is so much liter now.  Tomorrow I will do the ez down.

I do have one question though.  When the tailgate is closed are you supose to see the end of the torsion bar that goes into the bottom of the tailgate?  Right above the licence plate aera the gap between the bumper and the tailgate if you look under there i can see about 1 inch of the torsion bar.  It is all the way up into the tailgate.  I think it's suposed to be like that the way the bar is bent (shaped), just want to make sure.

Thanks,
RON

The only place I see mine is on the left side of the tailgate when it's down....

GRUMPE

Awards
« Reply #228 on: 08/06/09 10:22 AM »

Huh
I don't think that the valanca body kit makes a differance. No matter which kind of bumper I would still see it.

Do you think the hole is off by say 1/4 or 1/2 causing this. I measured 32 1/2.

2004, 2 tone color kit*24" Wheels with 305 tires*Valancia Body Kit with Escalade rear kit** For All MY Mods of my old 03, LOOK HERE:]MY GARAGE
Troublemaker

NY NY DC PA

Awards
« Reply #229 on: 08/06/09 10:37 AM »

Huh
I don't think that the valanca body kit makes a differance. No matter which kind of bumper I would still see it.

Do you think the hole is off by say 1/4 or 1/2 causing this. I measured 32 1/2.

I'll send you a couple pics of mine when I get home (if it's not raining).  Not sure on the EXT, but the AV has a "rivet" just about dead-center on the bottom of the tailgate...  I drilled about 1/4" to the right of that (looking as if the tailgate is closed and you are looking at the back of the AV/EXT).  Had to widen the hole a little, but I got it on there...

GRUMPE

Awards
« Reply #230 on: 08/06/09 10:41 AM »

I will have to post a pic also. I had to hurry up and leave for work. Maybe tomorrow if I do not work over tonight.
« Last Edit: 08/06/09 06:53 PM by GRUMPE » Logged

GRUMPE

Awards
« Reply #231 on: 08/06/09 11:07 AM »

Here's my pic.

I forgot how to post pics  banghead banghead banghead

Help please

RON
« Last Edit: 08/06/09 11:11 AM by GRUMPE » Logged

Troublemaker

NY NY DC PA

Awards
« Reply #232 on: 08/06/09 11:58 AM »

under the message box where you type, click the additional information link, and the add files should be there...

SpottyJ
CAFCNA Global Moderator

This is SpottyJ

WWW Awards
« Reply #233 on: 08/06/09 03:56 PM »

Here's my pic.

I forgot how to post pics  banghead banghead banghead

Help please

RON

Ron - send me the pic, I will post in your original post.

GRUMPE

Awards
« Reply #234 on: 08/06/09 04:00 PM »

I am at work right now and do not have access to the pic. I will try to post tonight when I get home. Troublemaker posted how to and now I think I remember.

How's things going up there?

SpottyJ
CAFCNA Global Moderator

This is SpottyJ

WWW Awards
« Reply #235 on: 08/06/09 04:26 PM »

How's things going up there?

Hey Ron all is well, still have my green 2003, going strong (knocks on wood).  Just had the hood replaced and repainted under warranty due to heavy rust by the latch.

How's your new Avalanche treating you?  What do you have for wheels?  (you had the best wheel set-up on your blue avalanche.)
« Last Edit: 08/06/09 04:30 PM by SpottyJ » Logged

GRUMPE

Awards
« Reply #236 on: 08/06/09 10:03 PM »

O.K. finally here is the pic  banghead banghead

Could this be because the hole is just a tad to far?  Do you think if drilled a hole right next to it that it would be able to slide up there more.

It did slide up into place with some help (hammer).

Thanks,
RON

SpottyJ
CAFCNA Global Moderator

This is SpottyJ

WWW Awards
« Reply #237 on: 08/07/09 03:26 AM »

Ron, on my 2003 (slightly different body), my Torsion Bar can not be seen when tailgate is closed.  Yours looks like it needs to be coerced in further.  As for drilling a hole next to it, I am a little concerned as it may become one large hole and the bar could slid out.  My install was very tight, had to pound the bar into the tailgate hole to get it up all the way.

Troublemaker

NY NY DC PA

Awards
« Reply #238 on: 08/07/09 05:20 AM »

O.K. finally here is the pic  banghead banghead

Could this be because the hole is just a tad to far?  Do you think if drilled a hole right next to it that it would be able to slide up there more.

It did slide up into place with some help (hammer).

Thanks,
RON

The hole in the tailgate should be aligned with that white mark on the torsion bar, so it sits flush with the bottom of the tailgate when closed.  There will be some play when the tailgate is open, but not enough where it will stick out like that.

I suggest marking where to drill with the tailgate open, then removing the tailgate and drilling the hole.  To put the tailgate back on, you will need to slide it on the post of the torsion bar at an angle to a point that is just past the white mark (to about that first bend in the bar), and then rotate the tailgate counter-clockwise until it's level, then put it back on the "hinges".  The instructions suggest that TWO people do this part, and I would have to agree.  I had help from my 10-yr old son, and he helped a bunch!

GRUMPE

Awards
« Reply #239 on: 08/07/09 08:43 AM »

The hole in the tailgate should be aligned with that white mark on the torsion bar, so it sits flush with the bottom of the tailgate when closed.  There will be some play when the tailgate is open, but not enough where it will stick out like that.

Thats what I thought.  I ended up drilling a new hole right where that white mark was and it ended up going in like butter. Cheesy

That measurment is only 31 1/2 inches from the other hole not the 32 1/2 as stated in previous post  Roll Eyes

Thanks Troublemaker and SpottyJ, you guys deserve a BIG  Thumbs up!

Now you do not see anything.

Well at least now my sisters truck won't have the extra hole in it.   Big laughter with tears

I always wondered why she always wants me to do the mods on my truck first before we do it on hers 

Well now that the EASY UP is completed now it time for the EASY DOWN  Cheers!

Just have to bend those brackets the other way.

Thanks again guys.

RON

Troublemaker

NY NY DC PA

Awards
« Reply #240 on: 08/07/09 08:51 AM »

Thats what I thought.  I ended up drilling a new hole right where that white mark was and it ended up going in like butter. Cheesy

That measurment is only 31 1/2 inches from the other hole not the 32 1/2 as stated in previous post  Roll Eyes

Thanks Troublemaker and SpottyJ, you guys deserve a BIG  Thumbs up!

Now you do not see anything.

Well at least now my sisters truck won't have the extra hole in it.   Big laughter with tears

I always wondered why she always wants me to do the mods on my truck first before we do it on hers 

Well now that the EASY UP is completed now it time for the EASY DOWN  Cheers!

Just have to bend those brackets the other way.

Thanks again guys.

RON

Yeah, I believe the instructions are for a Silverado, which has a 32-inch measurement between the side of the tailgate and the middle.  The AV has extra space on the rear quarter panel (or whatever that back corner piece is called), so it offsets by an inch....

And you can always plug up the unused hole with silicon sealer, or install a tailgate lock if you don't already have it.  Thumbs up!

GRUMPE

Awards
« Reply #241 on: 08/07/09 07:26 PM »

Did the EASY DOWN mod today.  Boy was that alot easier   

I did not even have to bend the bracket, must be because of the bumper on the body kit.  love

Need to find another mod now.

RON

Troublemaker

NY NY DC PA

Awards
« Reply #242 on: 08/07/09 07:29 PM »

Did the EASY DOWN mod today.  Boy was that alot easier   

I did not even have to bend the bracket, must be because of the bumper on the body kit.  love

Need to find another mod now.

RON

You can always put an EZ-down on my AV...     I'll even help!  Thumbs up!

02 Z71

My other vehicle :)

WWW Awards
« Reply #243 on: 10/30/09 08:00 AM »

I just ordered one of these after seeing several of these in action this past weekend.

The link in the first post didn't work for me. Here is where I ordered one from. Many of the other sites that I found this at charged $10-12 for shipping.

Brian

2002 Z71 Av with a few mods
2002 Toyota Tacoma
2002 Harley Ultra Classic
02 Z71

WWW Awards
« Reply #244 on: 11/05/09 04:08 PM »

I just got mine today. I will be installing it this weekend. Thanks for the great detailed instructions gadget!  Thumbs up!

Brian

2002 Toyota Tacoma
djhype7

My Baby, My Avy

Awards
« Reply #245 on: 11/06/09 12:23 AM »

I just got mine today. I will be installing it this weekend. Thanks for the great detailed instructions gadget!  Thumbs up!

Don't forget to measure twice and drill once! And also, don't forget to "twist" your tailgate onto the bar... it will NOT go down onto the bar easily unless you do  Beating

DJ Hype

02 Z71

WWW Awards
« Reply #246 on: 11/06/09 04:53 AM »

Don't forget to measure twice and drill once! And also, don't forget to "twist" your tailgate onto the bar... it will NOT go down onto the bar easily unless you do  Beating

Sounds like the voice of experience talking 

Thanks for the advise!

Brian

2002 Toyota Tacoma
djhype7

My Baby, My Avy

Awards
« Reply #247 on: 11/06/09 10:13 AM »

Sounds like the voice of experience talking     

Yes, yes it is.  I have the scratches all over the bumper corners to prove it...   banghead

DJ Hype

cadboy1

Awards
« Reply #248 on: 11/06/09 03:10 PM »

Yes, yes it is.  I have the scratches all over the bumper corners to prove it...   banghead
banghead

I have some scratches too. It tough to do by yourself  Cheesy

04 AV 2500
01 Olds Aurora 4.0
07 Trailblazer SS AWD
02 Z71

WWW Awards
« Reply #249 on: 11/09/09 01:14 PM »

I got this done this weekend. I also have the scratches on my bumper to prove it.

The only word of advise that I have is when drilling the hole in the tailgate, ensure that you drill the hole deep enough for the end of the torsion bar to fit completely through. I don't know if it is true for all years tailgate but I had to drill through two different layers of fiberglass to get the torsion bar to fit in completely. I of course found this out the hard way.  banghead

Perhaps I will start another thread with all of the lessons learned for this so new folks don't have to read through this whole thread.

Brian

2002 Toyota Tacoma
MS03 2500

We shall never forget.

Awards
« Reply #250 on: 11/09/09 01:23 PM »

The support webbing in the 02 AV tailgates are different than 03 up. There is a post around here about that. They found out the hard way also.

2003 2500
CntrySngr72

There is no other...

Awards
« Reply #251 on: 04/15/10 05:24 AM »

I disagree with this comment...maybe they put some springs on, but there is NOT a torsion bar - my gate is much heavier on my 07.  (Didit and Butch both looked at it Easter weekend)

Has anyone tried to put a bar on an 07 with a stock camera in the gate?
« Last Edit: 04/15/10 05:26 AM by CntrySngr72 » Logged