• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

August 23-24th Camp Out Kansasville WI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggie_hayward

?

Richard Bong State Recreation Area
Fun for All Seasons
How to Get There
Maps ?

Once designated to be a jet fighter base, Richard Bong State Recreation Area is fittingly named after Maj. Richard I. Bong, a Poplar, Wisconsin, native who was America's leading air ace during World War II. The project was abandoned three days before concrete was to be poured for a 12,500-foot runway. Local citizens had the foresight to protect this open space for future generations. In 1974 the state bought the land and it became the state's first recreation area.

A recreation area differs from a state park or forest in that it offers additional activities not traditionally found in state parks. Appropriate to its name, Bong offers an area where visitors may fly hang gliders, ultra-light aircraft, hot air balloons, and model airplanes and rockets. Bong also has spaces to train both hunting and sled dogs, train falcons, ride an ATV trail, go land sailing, horseback riding, and hunt in season. All activities are kept separate from each other through special use zones.

The recreation area encompasses 4,537 acres of rolling grassland, wetlands and scattered woodland. Richard Bong State Recreation Area is open year-round and has 41.1 miles of trails including:

16.3 miles of hiking trails
1.6 miles of interpretive nature trails
10.3 miles of off-road bike trails
17.7 miles of horse trails
14.7 miles of groomed cross-country ski trails
10.3 miles of trails for snowshoeing
11.6 miles of snowmobile trails
7.1 miles of all-terrain vehicle trails
A new boardwalk enables people with disabilities to get a close-up view of the wildlife area.

It features signs about the wildlife you're likely to see.

There are two regular campgrounds with a total of 217 campsites, 54 of them with electric hookups. Six group campsites can accommodate 150 campers.

There is a permanent naturalist on duty at Richard Bong Recreation Area, and a variety of nature education programs are offered year-round. The Molinaro Visitor Center has displays and exhibits about the history of Bong, plant and animal life, and other features. A slide/tape program is presented in the visitor center auditorium, and two self-guided nature trails wind through grasslands and woodlands.

The recreation area has a boat launch (electric motors only) and an accessible fishing pier and shore locations for fishing for panfish. There is a 240-foot beach with a bath house.

Other accessible facilities include an urban fishing pond, three hunting blinds, and three campsites. All picnic areas have accessible picnic tables. Buildings and most shelters are accessible as well.

Fun for all seasons
Spring is a transition time at the recreation area. Spring is the premier birding time. The earliest migrants?red-winged blackbirds?show up the end of February, but new winged visitors arrive throughout the spring: grackles, cowbirds, meadowlarks, killdeer, snipe, bluebirds, ducks, and swallows each one in progression. Ducks and geese begin to nest in the area's wetlands in March and April, and warblers pass through in May. Yellow-headed blackbirds, bobolink, and upland plovers are among the uncommon species seen here.

Spring is also the time when the air is filled with song -- chorus frogs, coyotes, song sparrows, cardinals, snipe and others. The first green appears as the new leaves of spring wildflower show themselves. It?s a great time to bring the binoculars and hike the trails in search of the first signs of spring.

If the weather permits there are plenty of activities to do at Richard Bong State Recreation Area during the spring. It?s often windy, so it is a great place to bring a kite, with plenty of open space to fly it.

In the summer, the recreation area offers swimming at a sand beach, fishing, and picnicking at four different picnic areas. There are horseshoe and volleyball courts and a ball diamond.

A sled dog training trail is kept open most of the winter. Ice fishing is a favorite winter sport.

How to Get There
Richard Bong State Recreation Area is 8 miles southeast of Burlington, Wisconsin, on State Highway 142. The entrance is a little less than a mile west of State Highway 75.

For more information ask

Richard Bong State Recreation Area
26313 Burlington Rd.
Kansasville WI 53139
(262) 878-5600
(262) 878-5615 Fax

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/parks/specific/bong/index.html

I will be very interested. ;D

I hope there will be enough members wanting to go.

I wonder if the all terrain vehicles trail is large enough to accomodate the Avalanche?? :rolleyes:

Anyways I think it would be a nice place to go and have fun.

David

The ATV trail is just for ATV's and dirt bikes - they would freak out if you drove your AV on the trails. Bong is closely managed and there is DNR around all of the time. Bong isn't a huge place, it's just a nicely kept place with lots of great stuff to see and do. And best of all - it backs up to Brighton Dale Golf Course which is beautifully kept, has two 18 hole courses and one 9 hole course, and is a county course so it's not real expensive. I would join ya'll for the camp out, but Bong is only about a mile from my house. Maybe we can all meet up for a beer at the "Hog's Nest" or something (no beer or liquor allowed in Bong).

Biggie, thanks for all the fascinating information!
Well david, now you know. No off roading at Bong.
Sounds like fun!

I am thinking, but I am oncall that weekend. I had the weekend of the 9th off. I will try to get someone to switch if I can.

Biggie said:
:cautious: maybe i can change the date for you

Biggie, I should be able to switch, I can at least hang out Saturday but would not be able to spent the night.

BTW, can I get you to do something with my sig? I need a change.

You must bug him a lot, because yours changes all the time! I have lots of photo programs on my PC, but I don't know how to use them. Doh! I will PM him tomorrow. Thanks for the info!

kegger said:
KANSASVILLE, ?someone was desperate to come up with a name of a town

It was a teaser. We were trying to get you guys to come up for a GTG!

My Son & I should be able to make this one. At least hang out on Saturday. We live about a half hour away. My son & his mom's family camp there all the time.
SSSCOTT21 :)

Biggie, I would like to ask if you think we could combine your original plan for the 23rd into this? A dinner cruise from the camp ground? We will be almost at the IL border. We could still go to the Brewery, one of the IL folks might know better, but I bet it would be less than an hour drive.
That way we could get together maybe with some that don't want to camp? I'm thinking this might be a good idea for Lake Geneva too. Definate dinner plans, so non-campers can cruise up if they want.

jnspur said:
You must bug him a lot, because yours changes all the time! ?I have lots of photo programs on my PC, but I don't know how to use them. ? Doh! ?I will PM him tomorrow. ?Thanks for the info!

Jen,

Email me the pics at jon@chevy4x4trucks.com w/ what you want and I can make a new banner for you if you want.

As for the meet, sounds interesting, I'm not sure if I'm available those dates (a little too far out there to tell) but I'm definetly interested.

Hey Scott if you can make this one we can bring the bugshield for you if you still want it... i think my pops said around $40 for it because he paid $75 for it new i dont know its your call or if you want to send him a message his site name is Mdz66 ;D

Have a nice day all ;D

1.Mdz66 & Biggie
2. Jnspur/BlackChev (IFY)
3. NorthFace-of-NW-IN (IFY)
4. SSSCOTT21 (IFY)
5. jakom (IFY)
6. chevy4x4trucks (IFY)

Does This Sound Right ?

1.Mdz66 & Biggie
2. NorthFace-of-NW-IN (IFY)
3. SSSCOTT21 (IFY)
4. jakom (IFY)
5. chevy4x4trucks (IFY)

Biggie, I won't be able to make this.
blackchev's sister having a party for his parents 50th wedding anniversary on the 16th. It's in southern IL.
If I go to a AV thing instead of that... :eek:

Sorry :cautious:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back