Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
07/23/14 11:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stabilitrak and traction control needs service  (Read 14819 times)
husker1223

I love the Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« on: 07/07/08 07:29 AM »

2007 5.3 avy.

Here's a weird one.  Driving about 40 mph, my traction control and stabilitrak lights come on and say they both need service.  The truck begins to run rough.  Take it to the dealer and they tell me I have a broken spark plug, that appears to have been overtightened and blames me and it is not going to be covered by the warranty.  I have 11,000 miles on the truck.  Never touched the plugs, never went near them.  My word against theirs.  Unbelieveable response from a dealer for blaming me, and how in the world does that cause the stabilitrak and traction control issues?

2007 LTZ Avalanche, Injen Power-Flow, stainless side molding, Kicker sub and amp, Magnaflow exhaust, JBA stainless headers, Autoextreme throttle body spacer, WeatherTech floor liners.
ms38w

I AM the Scorpion

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: 07/12/08 01:01 PM »

due to an overwhelming response for which we are not equiped to handle, your query has been removed from our system.  please contact your local administrator or government representative and file your complaint with them.  thank you and have a nice day. Just kidding

'02 1500 Z71, with a few mods...
408 Stroker, H2 rear end, 6-speed manual,side pipes, shorty headers,8-lug wheels, 1-ton T-case, custom drive shafts.
WILDFIRE
CAFCNA 2007 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 07/12/08 01:25 PM »

who put the headers on?

sittin by the phone, waitin for the lord to send my calling
Question~ What are you doing in my house? Answer~ Bleeding out
ca2kjet

something secret steers us

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 07/13/08 01:28 PM »

Hmm, I had this happen to me... backed out of someones driveway and those systems both failed and I noticed the vehicle was rough/sluggish. I pulled off the road and turned the truck off for a bit. Turned it back on and those messages have never come back. Has your truck had these messages and problems since it first happened? And seriously, spark plugs? Odd... I can't see how that's even remotely related... sounds like a BS reason for the problem since they couldn't figure it out... but I have no idea... too many computer gadgets these days...

Black on Black - 2007 Avalanche 4x4 LT3 Z71
exporting57

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 08/19/08 03:59 AM »

I post on the same problem yesterday if you want to go read up on my outlook on this situation, what is mostly important is to make sure this solved your problem with the traction control turning off.  It is very clear that the dealers cannot come up with any answers on this issue and will blame it on anything that they can find.
exporting57

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 08/19/08 04:06 AM »

I had this into the dealer 2 times in the past when i was still under warranty, they dont know how to fix it
or what it even is but mine has became a serious issue now and i am going to go to GM direct because i have taken this in 2 times like i said with nothing done about it. 
jwcarter82

I love my Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 08/29/08 04:24 PM »

Hey guys,

I may or may not have the same problem with my 07, but I had similar symptoms. The traction control/stabilitrack light turned on and off while I was driving down the highway. I was in the middle of nowhere so I drove about 15-20 miles with this happening. Mind you, I was not seeing or hearing any problems with the truck.

I stopped at a grocery store to pick up dinner before dropping by the chevy dealer in the town. WHen I got back to the truck, it would not start. I called a tow truck and he got underneath the truck and banged on the fuel tank and the trunk started right up....Dealer ship is replacing the fuel pump as we speak (though it won't be done till tuesday).

I have no idea if the two are related but I will be very interested to hear what the service department says. It seems very strange.

Long story short....check your fuel pump? Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: 08/29/08 07:13 PM by jwcarter82 » Logged

2007 Avalanche LTZ 4wd. Sunburst Orange Metallic.

Previous: 2003 Avalanche Z71 Package. (sold 5/2008)
exporting57

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 09/03/08 07:17 PM »

Banging on the fuel tank to jump start the fuel pump i guess, but what did the dealer come up with for the stabilitrak traction control  Huh  or did they not have a answer on that situation.
jwcarter82

I love my Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 09/09/08 01:16 PM »

What the service adviser said (and sounds reasonable) is that the computer was detecting a lean condition and was trying to compensate for it by shutting things down.

2007 Avalanche LTZ 4wd. Sunburst Orange Metallic.

Previous: 2003 Avalanche Z71 Package. (sold 5/2008)
ca2kjet

something secret steers us

Awards
« Reply #9 on: 09/09/08 01:36 PM »

What the service adviser said (and sounds reasonable) is that the computer was detecting a lean condition and was trying to compensate for it by shutting things down.

Aha! Now THAT would explain things. When I had backed out of the driveway it was at an odd slant and I was going painfully slow backing out onto the road so I must have triggered it. And that would also explain why once I pulled off the road onto a flat parking area and let the vehicle sit off it came back fine. Just need a computer reset and then it was good to go. Crazy computerized systems these days...  Tongue

Thanks for the info  Thumbs up!

Black on Black - 2007 Avalanche 4x4 LT3 Z71
CrazyCard

Awards
« Reply #10 on: 06/11/10 05:55 PM »

I put a new K&N filter on my 08 5.3 drove only couple miles ck engine came on along with (service traction stabilizer ) also traction light comes on then it says its off. I'm thinking what does the two have to do with each other Huh?
I take it to my local dealer however he is perplexed I tell him I'm leaving in the morning for vacation and driving about 1500 miles. He says he thinks it will be alright.  So he clears the codes and I'm off in the morning. HOPE I make it back !

MS03 2500
CAFCNA 2014 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #11 on: 06/11/10 06:12 PM »

It's not the type of filter that you have to oil is it.
kyeagle

I love the Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #12 on: 06/11/10 08:24 PM »

I traded my 2004 Avalanche for a 2010 Avalanche today.  Left dealership and drove 3 miles to a restaurant.  After that stop we drove less than 1 mile and I noticed the needles on the cluster jumped sevewral times and the stablitrack message said it was off and then the traction control needs servicing.  The A/C warmed up and all the gauges were on empty or zero.  i drove back to the dealer, but it was after closing.  I shut the engine off to see if things might clear up, and then it would not even click the starter.  After around ten minutes, I tried it again and it started.  The gauges were all normal, and the traction control warning was gone.  But there was a check engine light.

A salesman happened by and I left my new truck there with 8 miles on the odometer. I hope they find something that caused the problem.
MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #13 on: 06/11/10 08:48 PM »

I would not worry, something like that should be easy to correct.
Cat Dancer
CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member

Well Stanley, This is Another Fine Mess!

Awards
« Reply #14 on: 06/12/10 08:36 AM »

I traded my 2004 Avalanche for a 2010 Avalanche today.  Left dealership and drove 3 miles to a restaurant.  After that stop we drove less than 1 mile and I noticed the needles on the cluster jumped sevewral times and the stablitrack message said it was off and then the traction control needs servicing.  The A/C warmed up and all the gauges were on empty or zero.  i drove back to the dealer, but it was after closing.  I shut the engine off to see if things might clear up, and then it would not even click the starter.  After around ten minutes, I tried it again and it started.  The gauges were all normal, and the traction control warning was gone.  But there was a check engine light.

A salesman happened by and I left my new truck there with 8 miles on the odometer. I hope they find something that caused the problem.

I would have called OnScare, engaged the Safe & Sound & Roadside Assistance and asked them for the codes or issues the vehicle was reporting. It would have been a great gift for the Service Manager to find the next day when he checked to see which lot boy failed to do the Dealer Preparation & Pre Delivery Inspection properly.

I found the check list in my 2K10 a few days after taking delivery in April. The day after it was delivered from Mexico, it went through the checklist and I was surprised to find it listed some intriguing problems we've all come to know and love, Service 4WD amongst others.

When I took it to my service dealer to get it logged in, he pulled up a GM history report, not the stuff AVFox was doing, and it showed 4 or 5 major problems the selling dealer had worked on over the course of 10 weeks it in their possession. It appears that each time they started it, someone actually looked at the DIC and reported any problems. I was quite impressed they took the time to manage it before it was sold as opposed to letting the new owner go through the frustration and aggravation.

I'm certain your future driving/ownership days will be brighter and fulfilling.  chevy

You will be receiving the JD Powers survey via email or snail mail in a few weeks. Though this is aggravating and not a good initial experience with this vehicle, you may be able to parlay it in a manner to allow the Service Manager and Sales manager to step up above and beyond for your future visits and needs. They will be all over you for Favorable responses to the various surveys you'll be receiving now.

Then again, it could be the beginning a Lemon List. I certainly hope not.

YMMV

2K03 LPM Z71 5/03 - 4/10
The True Essence of Understatement

2K10 Z71
Not Sperry τΏτ Driven, Sperry τΏτ Approval Pending

2K13 Black Diamond, Chair Lift Edition , Black Of Course!
CrazyCard

Awards
« Reply #15 on: 06/17/10 07:57 PM »

Yes it is.. I took it straight from the box and installed it. After they cleared the codes it only came on one more time. Since that time we have drove 1788 miles without a any check engine light or traction stabilizer light coming on.
 Do you think the oil may have triggers the air flow sensor or something?   Thanks
CrazyCard

Awards
« Reply #16 on: 06/17/10 07:57 PM »

Yes it is.. I took it straight from the box and installed it. After they cleared the codes it only came on one more time. Since that time we have drove 1788 miles without a any check engine light or traction stabilizer light coming on.
 Do you think the oil may have triggers the air flow sensor or something?   Thanks
MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #17 on: 06/17/10 08:31 PM »

Do you think the oil may have triggers the air flow sensor or something?   Thanks

Do yourself a favor clean your MAF sensor. Do a search "cleaning MAF"

If there is too much oil on it, it sucks the oil onto the MAF
CrazyCard

Awards
« Reply #18 on: 06/18/10 05:41 AM »

Do yourself a favor clean your MAF sensor. Do a search "cleaning MAF"

If there is too much oil on it, it sucks the oil onto the MAF

Thanks MS03....  will do
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: