Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
09/02/14 02:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 ... 42   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Refinish Restorer Before/After pics  (Read 183944 times)
sinners-inc

Awards
« Reply #225 on: 06/30/09 09:35 AM »

I must put it on heavier than everybody else, it took each coat well over 2 or 3 hours to get past that tacky stage. We have a lot of cottonwood trees around here so there were little fuzzy floaty things stuck to the first coat. Don't mess with it until it's totally dried and they wipe right off. All in all it looks better but my sails aren't as black as the saddlebags and covers. I think I'm going to try a dye on the sails when this wears off. I'm also seriously considering painting it all and making an Escalanche and not have to keep messing with it.

Well mine was tacky to the touch for a few hours after I was done with the 3rd coat, but not that "inital" tacky after you put it on.   

I think the "perfect" way of applying it and get and even finish would be to "dip" each piece or airbrush it on (having the pieces removed from the truck first)...you would have a nice even coat, and prob only have to do it once over.

I actually thought about painting mine too.   

But I think Im gonna wait a while and just paint the entire truck when I do it. Just for a few look.  Anyone else had an autoshop paint their cladding?  Did you smooth out the texture and go smooth or just have it prepped and paint?

2004 Chevy Avalanche, 4" Tough Country Lift, Super 40 Flowmaster Muffler, K&N 57-Series FIPK Cold Air Intake, Devino Type 349 Wheels, 33" Toyo MT's
DEW

Awards
« Reply #226 on: 07/05/09 10:36 AM »

Another RR convert here.  Thumbs up!

Thanks to the many of you who have done this before. I tell you, this Forum is awesome. I got to see the results and learn from you before getting down to business.

It took a bit to find the product, but the Ontario Sales rep pointed me to a chemical store local to me and within 10 days I had it.
My 2003 was very faded - almost grey and now it is a nice dark charcol colour. Maybe not black, but certainly a huge step from where it was. I absolutely luv this stuff  love and think it was worth every penny.

Once I get enough posts, I will send out some pic's

2003 Light Pewter Avalanche 1500 Z71 WBH 4.10:1 Rear Diff.
SS Bull Bar, Window Vent Visors, Bug Deflector, Sunroof, Remote Start, SS Bed Extender, Aux Trans Cooler, Amber DRL's
DEW

Awards
« Reply #227 on: 07/05/09 12:12 PM »

As promised...

2003 Light Pewter Avalanche 1500 Z71 WBH 4.10:1 Rear Diff.
SS Bull Bar, Window Vent Visors, Bug Deflector, Sunroof, Remote Start, SS Bed Extender, Aux Trans Cooler, Amber DRL's
Shanes 02 Avalanche

Teach your children well, they are the future.

WWW Awards
« Reply #228 on: 07/30/09 01:56 PM »

Can you use this stuff on the interior plastic? I bought some denatured alcohol to get all the Armor All off mine and want something better to use. I was going to try the F22 and see how that does.

You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.
You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.
.....Abr
djhype7
CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member

My Baby, My Avy

Awards
« Reply #229 on: 07/30/09 08:57 PM »

Can you use this stuff on the interior plastic? I bought some denatured alcohol to get all the Armor All off mine and want something better to use. I was going to try the F22 and see how that does.

It is NOT recommended for use on the interior... the fumes alone could make you quite ill...   hurl

DJ Hype

'03 Z66 Onyx "BadA$$" Black, NALL FTDRLs + matching signals, All-On-High, 893 Fogs-On-Low, Silverstar Ultra Lows, 12V bed outlet, Relocated Trailer Plug, MagLite mount, CAFCNA/MichAvy stickers in "Goo" position, Complete Alpine/JL setup with JL Console + Sirius + Avy HUmount, Optima RedTop/145A Alt, Volant CAI, VentVisors & "Avalanche" Bug Deflector, Enhanced Avy Cladding Logos, EXT cluster, custom BowTie, REVOs, Aux Trans Cooler, EasyLift Tailgate Mod, RefinishRestored, MagnaFlow 12589, + more!
Shanes 02 Avalanche

Teach your children well, they are the future.

WWW Awards
« Reply #230 on: 07/31/09 06:27 AM »

Thanks, I just had the Av gatorback on it looks awesome. I just wanted to get the interior cleaned. I spent almost 6 weeks in Cali, up in the mountains. They are having a water shortage so I could not clean my Av properly. So now I have all that dirt and crap I need to get cleaned out of it. Armor All looks great but It attracts dust really bad, and living next to a field cause a lot of problems.

You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.
You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.
.....Abr
Sirshopolot
CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator

Power To The Avy!

Awards
« Reply #231 on: 08/02/09 06:50 PM »

Just applied the Refinish Restorer today and wished I would have done the before & after pics but mine wasn't as bad as some of these here.

This stuff is the cat's meow!  It rocks!!

If your cladding is faded or tiger striping, get some RR, you wont be disappointed.

It's so easy to use and looks AVesome
« Last Edit: 08/02/09 06:52 PM by Sirshopolot » Logged

Sirshopolot
Warlock

I love the Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #232 on: 08/04/09 09:59 AM »

I own a 2002.  I've always taken good care of my vehicles but with the cladding looking all discolored and faded my truck was looking pretty sad.  I'm talking about the cladding being almost white.  It was horrible.  I always wax my truck so the finish is very glossy (still looking like new for a 2002) but the faded cladding took away the good looks.  2 weeks ago I finally decided to give RR a try.  Got it on ebay for 35 bucks. 

I went over the back panels 3 times with a waxing pad.  I was amazed.  The damn things look like new.  Did a couple of coats on the rest of the truck and I tell you what, this thing kicks ass.  I'm in love with my 7 year old truck again.  The cladding is shiny and very dark.  Not to mention it poured the day after I applied it and the rain did not affect the cladding at all.  The water beads big time.

Do yourself a favor and get some RR.  It is easy to apply and you'll be amazed at the results.  I'm not sure how long the dark shiny looks are going to last but I won't be surprised if months, perhaps a year.  I remember back in 2002 when I first bought the truck, all the comments I got from people who loved the looks and style of the vehicle.  I'm getting comments again after 7 years.  RR rocks! 
Bigntall1

TRNSFMR

WWW Awards
« Reply #233 on: 08/04/09 02:05 PM »

I own a 2002.  I've always taken good care of my vehicles but with the cladding looking all discolored and faded my truck was looking pretty sad.  I'm talking about the cladding being almost white.  It was horrible.  I always wax my truck so the finish is very glossy (still looking like new for a 2002) but the faded cladding took away the good looks.  2 weeks ago I finally decided to give RR a try.  Got it on ebay for 35 bucks. 

I went over the back panels 3 times with a waxing pad.  I was amazed.  The damn things look like new.  Did a couple of coats on the rest of the truck and I tell you what, this thing kicks ass.  I'm in love with my 7 year old truck again.  The cladding is shiny and very dark.  Not to mention it poured the day after I applied it and the rain did not affect the cladding at all.  The water beads big time.

Do yourself a favor and get some RR.  It is easy to apply and you'll be amazed at the results.  I'm not sure how long the dark shiny looks are going to last but I won't be surprised if months, perhaps a year.  I remember back in 2002 when I first bought the truck, all the comments I got from people who loved the looks and style of the vehicle.  I'm getting comments again after 7 years.  RR rocks! 

Very good description.  I've used it as well as my dad and brother.  We are all very satiesfied. 

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2195826
White 2004 Avalanche Z66 WBH, Leather Interior, Heated Seats, Side Impact Airbags, Bose Stereo with 6 Disk Changer, XM Radio, Onstar, Automatic Dual Climate Control, Luggage Rack, GM Nerf Bars, AVS Bugshield, AVS Ventvisors, Billet Grille, 22x9.5 VCT-Scarface wheels, 305/40R22 Bridgestone Deuler Tires, Flowmaster Super40 Single-in/Dual-out.
tritonboulder47

Awards
« Reply #234 on: 08/04/09 03:32 PM »

This stuff is great...  I had to have my dad order some through the body shop he works for cause no one around here carried it...  It holds up awesome. 

Rollin' in my 2 Z's
2003 LPM Cladded Av Z71 5.3L 4X4 - 1985 Camaro Z28 Tuned Port 5.0L

911 Calltaker / Dispatcher, Volunteer Fire Fighter & Fire Policeman, Volunteer Ambulance Driver, Rescue Tech, Emergency Lighting Guru
thorin

2002 Victory Red Avalanche 2500 Z85 4x4

Awards
« Reply #235 on: 08/30/09 05:49 AM »

hello all,
i've been frustrated for years regarding the appearance of the cladding on my '02 2500. the truck is used primarily for towing and as such, is parked in an outside storage facility. the sun has certainly taken it's toll.
after following many threads regarding this issue, i decided to take the plunge and try the refinish restorer product.
well, like the rest of you i am very impressed. i applied 2 coats yesterday and the cladding looks like new again. i will say that you most definitely MUST apply this stuff outdoors as the odors are very strong.
i used latex gloves, 1 wax applicator cotton pad, and a couple q-tips to apply. i was curious why there are no instructions on the can on how to use or apply. a bit wierd i think but thanks to this forum, i followed your advice and am now very proud of the truck's apppearance.
thanks!

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women".
If Conan had a truck, it would be an Avalanche!
Vlanche
CAFCNA 2007 Supporting Member

05 Bermuda Blue Z71 4X4

Awards
« Reply #236 on: 08/30/09 11:59 AM »

I found these directions in a brochure while researching on line.

APPLICATION
1. Surfaces to be sealed need to be clean and free of oil and grease. Any yellowing or staining on gelcoat and
other plastic surfaces needs to be removed with a cleaner. The surface should be thoroughly rinsed with
water. Metallic surfaces should be thoroughly degreased. Application on white surfaces can result in a slight
colour change.
2. After initial treatment the surface should be thoroughly dried before the Refinish Restorer is applied.
3. Refinish Restorer cannot be applied onto very warm surfaces or in direct sunlight.
4. Refinish Restorer is applied evenly, using a soft flat brush or a lint free cloth, until the pores are filled.
5. Refinish Restorer should take effect 5 to 10 minutes after application. Any liquid Refinish Restorer can be
brushed over a more porous area.
6. After a maximum of 10 minutes any excess oil should be removed with an absorbent lint free cloth or a soft
pad, otherwise it can only be removed with a suitable stain remover. Liquid Refinish Restorer can be removed
using a turpentine substitute.
7. If necessary repeat steps 4 to 6.
8. When a high degree of shine is required, the surfaces treated with Refinish Restorer can be polished with a
non abrasive wax.
9. Metallic surfaces are not very porous and must therefore treated with a very fine wire wool soaked in Refinish
Restorer. Excess oil must be removed after about 15 minutes. The surface can be than be polished with a lint
free cloth for a greater shine.
Cleaning Tools: Use turpentine substitute
INresponse

Remember when people used to be proud of America?

Awards
« Reply #237 on: 08/30/09 08:02 PM »

I used Refinish Restorer 2 weeks ago and stopped by here to let everyone know how satisified I am.  After reading Warlock's post I decided he explained it perfectly and there was nothing to be added.   Thumbs up!  Thumbs up!

Vlanche, I read your post as well, and although that information is probably accurate I am not sure if you were posting that as a heads up or to question its use.  Huh  All I can say is that the label explains it has several uses, and as such will have several various ways to be applied with their own methods and cautions.  Applying to plastic will be different than when applying to metal.  If there is a concern I feel comfortable reassuring that Refinish Restorer works, and several members started using it about 2 years ago.  I have not heard anything negative about its use on the cladding.

Refinish Restorer is awesome!

Born On Date: 9-8-01
2002 Z71 Avalanche, 5.3  ATI Procharger with intercooler, custom cold air intake, HP Tuners, 4.10 gears (formerly 3.73), Fire and Ice light bar, Patriotic emblems, US Speedo stainless face plate, Patriotic 3rd brake light decal, Refinish Restorer, Additional GM trans cooler, Manic stainless brush guard, 160,000+ miles, and a big brother named RAMalicious.
mustangkiller

Awards
« Reply #238 on: 09/23/09 12:44 PM »

How good does this hold up in the rain bc i have a 02 dark green and everything i put on it runs down the side i hate that armor dillo stuff i dont want to put it on evey week Thanks Iam new
MooseAlanche

The Moose Is On The Loose

Awards
« Reply #239 on: 09/23/09 02:16 PM »

How good does this hold up in the rain bc i have a 02 dark green and everything i put on it runs down the side i hate that armor dillo stuff i dont want to put it on evey week Thanks Iam new
Once it is properly dried (cured) it won't run in the rain. I know of a few members who did the RR over 9 months ago and it is still holding up. Just don't apply it on very humid days or if rain is in the forcast and the truck is kept outside.

Pete
05 Black Avalanche 5.3L, Z71, Cladded, Chrome Brush Bar, Speed Grille, SS Nerf Bars, Fire & Ice Tailgate LED, Lund Bug Shield, Putco Tailgate Handle Cover, K&N #77 Cold Air Intake, PowerAid TBS, MagnaFlow SS CatBack. Since Joining CAFC: Amber FTDRL, LED Sail Panel Lights, Amber LED Grille Lights, Door Pocket LED's, Mag Lite, 3rd Brake & Tailgate Decals, Cargo Light, Billet Gas Door, Tailgate Cup Holders, Backup Cam, I Pod2car, WoLo Horn, PlasmaGlow Xeon Bulbs, Window Tint, Tailgate E-Z Up, HyperTech
Vlanche
CAFCNA 2007 Supporting Member

05 Bermuda Blue Z71 4X4

Awards
« Reply #240 on: 09/23/09 05:04 PM »

I put mine on Sunday around 12:00. I waited 2 hours to put on the second coat and let it sit overnight in the garage. It took a little longer to dry than most report here because of all of the rain and high humidity we are having here in Mississippi. It has sat outside in the rain all this week at work through numerous rainstorms. It has probably had 3 to 4 inches dumped on it this week. I noticed this afternoon when I left work that it was still nice and black with no runs.

I will post pics when I can get home and it is not raining!

BTW, I was just looking for some for a friend at work and noticed Ditchek now has it on sale for $39.95. That's $5 off of what I paid 2 weeks ago. I am still happy I did not wait though. The results are outstanding and I now swear by this stuff.

http://yhst-13811118617756.stores.yahoo.net/carere1l.html?productid=carere1l&channelid=BCOME
mustangkiller

Awards
« Reply #241 on: 09/23/09 06:14 PM »

Thanks guy i order it today so i hope i can put it on this weekend.
Mullet

You drive what?

Awards
« Reply #242 on: 10/08/09 06:51 AM »

OK, I found another use for this stuff... headlights.  Mine were getting yellow so I said why not?  It cleared them up and so far after a month, they are still clear.

03 cladded Pewter Z66.
Bigntall1

TRNSFMR

WWW Awards
« Reply #243 on: 10/08/09 07:11 AM »

OK, I found another use for this stuff... headlights.  Mine were getting yellow so I said why not?  It cleared them up and so far after a month, they are still clear.

Are you serious?  Mine left headlight is turning as well.  I've been contemplating on whether to have someone restore them for me or buy one of those headlight restoration kits.  I may give that a try.

White 2004 Avalanche Z66 WBH, Leather Interior, Heated Seats, Side Impact Airbags, Bose Stereo with 6 Disk Changer, XM Radio, Onstar, Automatic Dual Climate Control, Luggage Rack, GM Nerf Bars, AVS Bugshield, AVS Ventvisors, Billet Grille, 22x9.5 VCT-Scarface wheels, 305/40R22 Bridgestone Deuler Tires, Flowmaster Super40 Single-in/Dual-out.
KevMack
CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator

"bought a truck, turned out to be an alien robot"

Awards
« Reply #244 on: 10/08/09 07:51 AM »

Does anyone know if it does hurt your paint? I got some on my paint and got scared but nothing happened. I was just wondering because I hate blue taping the whole truck to do it.

To get to the point, the person selected by the members of the Heidi Hoe Huddle, is a member who has exemplified the above qualities and is deemed worthy to Pimp the Hoe... Kevin aka Kevmack!
Kev, represent the Northeast as I have done and remember to treat Heidi right.
Frankie, #7
Mullet

You drive what?

Awards
« Reply #245 on: 10/09/09 08:27 AM »

It doesn't hurt the paint but will dry on it.  Wipe it off before it sets up.  If it does set up, use some alcohol to remove it.

03 cladded Pewter Z66.
jravalanche

07 Av great truck.

Awards
« Reply #246 on: 11/06/09 06:01 PM »

I bought the restorer and didn't go on as evenly as I thought.  Don't use a cloth towel.  Leaves cotten lint that I can't get off.  How did you apply it?
Thanks,
JR
dman
CAFCNA 2011 Supporting Member

I love my rare beast!!

Awards
« Reply #247 on: 11/06/09 06:05 PM »

I used a foam pad, was fast and easy, no lint chevy

2003, 2 wd, 2500, 8.1, 4:10's  YELLOW, Zaino,  20" MB Motoring v-drive rims, Hankook Ventus 295/45/20 tires, Edelbrock Ceramic headers, Orange TPMS, 2" rear wheel spacers, Xtreme floor mats, Volant, Predator, AV bug guard, Garmin Nuvi 660, On-star, XM, Homemade bedslide, Sportwing spoiler, Hood scoops,  Bose RSE,DVD. Full power, heated butt warmers, under rear seat sub with 2 Audiobahn 10" woofers, Magnaflow S.S. catback exhaust, Viper 2-way remote start alarm. Train horns, Riverboat whistle.Dual batteries.
anglarry04

No more Avalanche...traded for a '11 Traverse

Awards
« Reply #248 on: 11/06/09 07:01 PM »

Are you serious?  Mine left headlight is turning as well.  I've been contemplating on whether to have someone restore them for me or buy one of those headlight restoration kits.  I may give that a try.
did that to the honda, and a buddies car.   Worked great.  My honda a year later seems worse now.   It was just sitting in the back yard for 7 months straight though

2002 1500 Forest green Z71-traded
2004 1500 Sunburst Orange Metallic Z-71-Traded for
2008 1500 Granite Blue LT-Traded for
2011 Traverse LT Red Tint Jewel-current
2006 Trailblazer LT-Wifes-traded 31 Mar for
2008 Tahoe LT1 Ruby Red Metallic
1995 Honda Civic with Acura Type R swap-My project hot rod
Bigntall1

TRNSFMR

WWW Awards
« Reply #249 on: 11/06/09 07:16 PM »

did that to the honda, and a buddies car.   Worked great.  My honda a year later seems worse now.   It was just sitting in the back yard for 7 months straight though

Did you use the RR on the headlights or one of the headlight restore kits?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 ... 42   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: