• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Odometer light in cluster is not working?

stblindtiger

Any info on a TSB or recall on the odometer light in the cluster not working? I heard that a lot of people had this problem.... anyone on here have that problem too? It's an '02 z71 Avalanche... I can't get it inspected because of the light and had to take it to the dealer and he told me it may be a week or two because they have to take the whole cluster out and send it away to get fixed. It is a HUGE hassle and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this problem.

Thanks!

If anyone out there is having a problem with their 2002 Avalanche odometer display not working, or intermittently going on and off, you may be pleased to know that with a little effort, you can fix this yourself and it will cost you nothing.  If you are not good with electronics, find a friend and have them help you.

The problem is simply a bad solder joint where the ododmeter display connects to the main circuit board.  There are a dozen or so heavy copper leads that are soldered to the main board.  You will need to do some dis-assembly of the cluster to get to it, but it is nothing to be afraid of, just remove the snap-fit back cover, then the main circuit board is press-fit to the gauges.  Just pry it up with your fingers carefully so as not to break the board.

Once removed, you can see the odometer display with the copper leads I mentioned.  There are two white tabs that hold the display in place, press them over and lift the display up so as to expose the copper leads. 

Now just carefully re-solder the connections to the board.  On mine, it was the lead on the top end.

Hope this helps

I have the same problem with my 02 Z71 AV and got the same advice. I'm going to tackle it this weekend.

Good Luck thottle, it is a very easy fix. (y)

I am voting for Derwood27 for president!!! I took my instrument cluster out and popped it apart and it was exactly like he said. Mine was the top connection too. A little solder and VIOLA! it works like new. I was able to clean the lens while I had it out and it looks like a new truck.
Thank you Derwood27, you saved me $300-$400  (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

i am attempting this fix today, what do the copper leads look like? i have it dissembled but not sure what it is i need to solder, thaxs

Derwood has given spot on advice here! I took it all apart and it was the top copper lead that needed resoldered. The odometer is working perfectly now. Thanks for the advice! You are saving forum member some money!! Thanks!

I want to thank you guys this was awesome advice. My parents 02' Avalanche had a bad solder joint on the top connection as well. I pulled it apart and a dab of solder later its working perfect. I also want to say this is an awesome forum, they had another problem where they had no dash lights and the radio display went dark when the parking lights came on. I found the wiring diagram I needed to test the dimmer switch on here. Took the switch apart and cleaned it real good and presto chango all better. You guys rock!! Thanks

I was plagued with the same problem, followed the advice found here and all is well...it did lock my radio when I unplugged the instrument cluster, but all worked out thanks to the advice I found here.  I'm a member here now nice to meet everyone.

Thanks,
John

I have this problem too, been this way about 4 months but it is too hot in the Vegas summer for me to try anything inside a vehicle.  May get to this later this month.

Thank you.  (y)

Once again, this site is one of the best sites in the toolbox.  The odometer light in my 02 has been intermittent for a couple of years and finally quit working altogether.  My stock stereo gave up so while I was installing the new one, I decided it was time to tackle the odometer fix while I had the dash open. Bingo, Jackpot, Yahtzee.  The 1st pin on the connecter on the under side was almost totally without solder.  I have a working odometer again.  The tire shops will appreciate that!  Thanks again to everyone who takes the time to post the easy and difficult fixes!

That is fantastic. I have since moved on and have the same issue in a Trailblazer. I am not sure buy think it is also a soldered in led... Just haven't searched to find out how to fix it yet... Minor issue for me.

No Tyme what year Trailblazer do you have maybe I can look it up for you

Yup they are the same.

Hello, I have a 2007 Chevy Avalanche that the odometer and gear shift light in the cluster isn't working.  Has done totally dark.  All the other gauges and lights work.  Can this be repaired or do I have to replace the cluster?

I too have an 07 an am having the same issue.  A "tune up" or rather a good stiff backhand the the frond of the cluster seems to get it back working for a few days at a time.

Lifted07 said:
I too have an 07 an am having the same issue.  A "tune up" or rather a good stiff backhand the the frond of the cluster seems to get it back working for a few days at a time.
I believe the LED's are soldered in. If you pull the cluster I would replace all the lights, maybe even the stepper motors as this is a common issue. I see ads on Craigslist on rebuilding these dash and even custom colored lights.

Back