• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Region V GTG light bar Promise

Z66Modder

Regional Coord.
SM 2024
SM 2023
SM 2022
SM 2021
SM 2020
SM 2019
SM 2018
SM 2017
SM 2016
SM 2012
SM 2011
Ok, for those who were at the Kfalls GTG, you know I am working on a light bar project. It's about 80% now. I did a temp install up front to see how it would look. Do you guys think it will fly being in front?

Attachments

• Light bar front1.jpg
    Light bar front1.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 100
  • Light bar front2 .jpg
    Light bar front2 .jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 101
  • Light bar front3.jpg
    Light bar front3.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 97
that looks pretty good there Tom, I'm thinking the side view might be a little obscured though

Thanks Mark.

It's actually easier to view in person, than with the camera. I will tie wrap it in place when the case is done, then see how it looks from a distance. Rear window might become the alternate (if it's bright enough). Can you say Velcro?

:love: :love: Doing happy dance here and loving the sign.
I think it is awesome and can not wait to see it when it is complete.
that grill looks like mine and does obscure it a bit but I like it would like to see how it looks in rear window too .
Tom you are doing a great job with this one.

The only issue that I can think of is the legal requirement of blue or red lights facing the front of a vehicle that is not a emergency vehicle. But I am not up on all the WA light laws.

c_b_mazur said:
The only issue that I can think of is the legal requirement of blue or red lights facing the front of a vehicle that is not a emergency vehicle. But I am not up on all the WA light laws.

Yea I think I will need to run a remote switch when time allows for Johnny Law.  In the mean time, I will run it off the DLR's with a local power switch on the light.

Attachments

• Bar switch.jpg
    Bar switch.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 72
c_b_mazur said:
Looks good though, any chances of making more than one? :laugh:

Well I have promised to make 3 more so might as well do 4. New ones will not be clear Plexiglas on the body, I fabricated everything from scratch and what a pain!  :E:

It's in and wired now. Remote switch is next. I placed it almost against the radiator & tie wrapped on the existing angle iron. The 2 problems I see now is I have to use a screwdriver to reach the switch, and the light is partially blocking air flow on the radiator. I will just keep my eye on the temps.

Here are some more night pics, looks almost the same as before.

Attachments

• Final install 1.jpg
    Final install 1.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Final install 2.jpg
    Final install 2.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 72
  • Finall install 3.jpg
    Finall install 3.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 72
Hey Mark,
do you know if there is an easy way to get the top cover off the radiator section?

Removing the 3 grommets like (the sail panels) give me enough room to get most of my arm in there, but I want to weld up some custom brackets and mount the light without tie wraps.

Z66Modder said:
Hey Mark,
do you know if there is an easy way to get the top cover off the radiator section?

Removing the 3 grommets like (the sail panels) give me enough room to get most of my arm in there, but I want to weld up some custom brackets and mount the light without tie wraps.
unfortunately there isn't, you have to pull the whole grille

Thanks!!  (y)

Also  I think I have a solution to a housing for the light. I found this at Home Depot today for only 10 bucks. I will gut it out and put in my own dual lamp circuit. I will also shorten it to about 14 inches as it is 18 now.  Just need to know who is OK with the slight curved face, and who wants the front cut down to be flat?

Don't worry the housing won't be wavy like in the pic, I had it apart for inspection and just laid the parts together for the photo.

Attachments

• Lamp Housing.jpg
    Lamp Housing.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 61
I know your pretty proud of your Z66 bowtie but what about a mold or Plexiglas's cut in the center with the avalanche shinning through the bowtie or in the front bumper, rear window or even the sail panel holes on each side with a remote switch....  and yes tom make another extra.. and another and another and another and another  :B:

Well the Bowtie mod you just mentioned, could be done with super brite LEDs. The problem with LED's is that you need a lot packed closely together, to get the same light output as a neon or florescent tube. I think it could be done.

Z66Modder said:
Well the Bowtie mod you just mentioned, could be done with super brite LEDs. The problem with LED's is that you need a lot packed closely together, to get the same light output as a neon or florescent tube. I think it could be done.
I think it was Trey that did a bowtie with his name in led's  (y)

Tom-
that is killer.  I love it. great work.  Can't wait for my bedslide so we can do mine.  I was thinking, of you are concrned with it up front, you can put it in the back window like Row did.  That was really coll mod

Thanks Matt. I picked up a blue light and a red one today from the PC store. Will start tonight on the new style.

BTW: I rode all weekend to the GTG with the light bar left on. Worked great, and only got one worried look from a local cop in Tigard.

Here is the red light in the standard diffuser. I think it will be bright enough, do you?

Attachments

• Red light bar 1.jpg
    Red light bar 1.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 43
Hey Red, I can't finish your light until you pick which way you want it to face.

Do you want it flat like Pic labeled #2 or vertical like in Pic # 3?

BTW: The sticker is only taped on with the backing still in place.

Matt, you might want to chime in too on yours.

Attachments

• Red light bar 2.jpg
    Red light bar 2.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Red light bar 3.jpg
    Red light bar 3.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 39
Aussie Red said:
Be truthful with you Tom I am lost.  I really do not understand other then I like it. :laugh: :laugh:

Well Red, It depends on where you intend to mount it in your AV. If up front like mine, than it would be pic #3. If its placed under one of the bed covers,  it would be like in Pic #2.

Where do you want it to go and I will know from there?

Back