• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Door Hinges/Bushings

Unionmade

Dealer wants $280.00 to replace the pins/bushings on ONE DOOR.... has anyone done this themselves? Just wondering how hard it is to do and where to buy the parts? Thanks!  :help:

Never heard of it needing to be done....

most of time body shops just replace hinge when damaged or worn out

This is a common repair on older 2 door cars, my El Camino needs to get it done.  I had talked to someone on how to do it and he said it was easy.

I'm having a problem with my driver side door. I think the pins are worn as there is some up and down movement of the door when it is open. There is an extra calunk when I close it as well. After market hinges cost $125 each. I'm looking at them and there is just one bolt to be seen. I'm thinking they are welded on. This could be a problem. How are these hinges replaced? ???

Rock Auto sells replacement pins and bushings. You will need to grind or cut the bottom of the old pin off to remove it and it is staked like a rivet.

Hi guys,  this was a hard one for me to find info on so I'll post up what I found. 

As stated,  the old pins need grinding done to them to get them to pop out.  Its not too hard and took me a few minutes with a die grinder.  Then there are 3 options for replacement: new pins with c-clips (don't do it), new pins with bolts,  and premium new pins with bolts and and part of the metal latch. 

Unlike old styles or other brands,  GM welded these hinges on and there isn't even adjustability.  But,  to get the door off all you have to do is remove the 10mm bolt from each hinge and the one 10mm for the thing that holds the door open and then lift the door up (I did that with a cherry picker).  Took me about 30 minutes with the help of my wife. 

Thanks copracr, there's two sets  of pins you could use. One has C clips, the other has a capture nut. I can see the old ones look to be pressed in, so i suspect that's why you mentioned grinding. I've done a few door pins, mostly a good smack with a hammer will drive the old ones out. I'll have to se if thats the case now.

Ive changed door pins before. I suggest getting the spring compressor tool and getting a nice punch set. should take you about 1-2hrs

Captain said:
Ive changed door pins before. I suggest getting the spring compressor tool and getting a nice punch set. should take you about 1-2hrs

Done several of these. A good set of flat and pointed punches and good lighting and a floor jack and patience. Not bad once you get the hang of it. A friend to help steady the door once you get it apart is very helpful.

I looked at it last night. the top one wouldn't be a big deal...but the bottom one is going to be a serious PIA. No clearance, and can't see or get to the inside of the hinge to get at the pin itself.

I replaced the pins on my old truck, did them one at a time, so I didn't need an assistant or lifting device.  The worst part was the #*^&ing spring!  I tried a valve spring compressor, and it did not work at all.  So I made a compressor from some scrap stainless tubing and bolts at work, to be able to get it back in.  Definitely keeping that little gem around!

I spoke to a local body shop. They'll do it for $100. They said they don't use the pins you get at local Auto dudes. They said they have a source in texas which is better.... I looked real hard at the hinge and there's no way I can get to that bottom pin. I honestly don't see the spring anywhere....

Ive done this 2 times on my 2003..first with the c clip ones,and they failed after some weeks.So i ordered the ones with a nut,and they have got a little slack after 18 months use.Nothing big,but...heres a good vid for those of you that havent done this before.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrm6bsruVec

Back