Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
11/26/14 01:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: tailgate will not stay closed  (Read 5058 times)
gonfishn

I love the Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« on: 08/21/08 06:28 PM »

I have an 03 Avalanche and I have posted here before and have found it very helpful I thought I would try again. My rear tailgate can not be locked, as well as when it is shut it will not latch closed. This started a week or so back and it has been getting harder to close by the day. When I say harder to close I mean it won't stay latched shut. Has anyone had this problem? Replacing all the lock mechanism looks like a pain in the - - - to do!!! Any info on this I would be again as always, very grateful    Chris D.                                                                                     
GoNavy429

08' LS

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 08/21/08 06:33 PM »

Have you tried taking off the rear bed panel too see if it latches then.  I had a problem with mine after I adjusted the bed panels, had to go back and re-adjust to move the bed panel more forward.  Just a thought.

2008 Deep Ruby Metallic Avalanche LS, 5.3L non-flex fuel Vortec V8, Custom Cloth 40/20/40, On Star, XM Radio Six CD changer, Remote Start, Tow package
m t pockets

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 08/21/08 07:55 PM »

lift the release handle and spray some wd40 or other penatrant as high up and near the centre of the handle. there is a wishbone type arm in there that pulls the rods that is famous for rusting ans seizing up. we see it all the time on the pickups that come into our shop.

08 LT Victory Red
05 SSR Redline Red
06 Pontiac Torrent
80 Olds Cutlass Supreme
23 Model T
INresponse
CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member

Remember when people used to be proud of America?

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 08/21/08 08:53 PM »

lift the release handle and spray some wd40 or other penatrant as high up and near the centre of the handle. there is a wishbone type arm in there that pulls the rods that is famous for rusting ans seizing up. we see it all the time on the pickups that come into our shop.

Thumbs up!

I was going to suggest that.  Also, I occasionally have trouble locking the tailgate and I noticed that this happenes when I do not close it hard enough.  I simply open it again and close it a bit harder and I find the key turns easier and allows it to lock.  But the WD-40 is very helpful.

Also, I learned early on that the tailgate will only lock when it is fully closed.  So after having it open shortly after leaving for our first vacation, and with lots of stuff sitting at the end of the bed, I had the tailgate drop open on the freeway.   Shocked  I pulled over, closed it and locked it.  This is about when I learned it will not lock if it is not closed all the way.  I quickly began locking it all the time just to make sure it was closed securly.
« Last Edit: 08/21/08 08:56 PM by INresponse » Logged

Born On Date: 9-8-01
2002 Z71 Avalanche, 5.3  ATI Procharger with intercooler, custom cold air intake, HP Tuners, 4.10 gears (formerly 3.73), Fire and Ice light bar, Patriotic emblems, US Speedo stainless face plate, Patriotic 3rd brake light decal, Refinish Restorer, Additional GM trans cooler, Manic stainless brush guard, 160,000+ miles, and a big brother named RAMalicious.
RENORCR
CAFCNA 2014 Premium Member

(aka "RENO") Too many mods, too little time!!!

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 08/23/08 02:18 AM »

This might help.
To test latch I do this.
With tailgate down.
Use a screwdriver to push the latch into a locked position.
If it locks, unlock it with the tailgate handle. Nothing wrong.

If the latch says spring back to a open position, not latching.
It's just a rod adjustment. You can do this with the tailgate open.
Under the tailgate bezel. You should see a green plastic clip. Clamped around a threaded rod.
Open the plastic clip. Push the latch into a locked position. Re-close the plastic clip. Test with the handle. If everything works. Go ahead and close the tailgate and give a good tug.

2003 1500 Z66 Black (SVO/PI) - BLT: 11/02  Arrived: 4/03
Light Mods: Amber FT/DRL's, Blue/Red LED, Hood Light, Kickpanel lights, Maglight mod
Ext Mods: FTS8002, Z71 Skid Plate, Frt/Rr Combo WAAG guards, Manik Taillght Guard, Custom Frt/Rr 2500 Wheel Moulding, Husky MudGuards
Engine Mods: 145 Amp Alt, Aux Trans Cooler, Flexalite Oil Cooler, Painless Dual Battery
strokerace

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 08/23/08 06:06 AM »

Spraying a penetrating lubricant on the lock clasps on both sides of the tailgate fixed the problem for me.

DJ
T56 Mech
CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member

Hey! Whats that breeze?

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 08/23/08 11:07 AM »

If those don't fix it then thier is always duct tape and zip ties   

05 LT with lots of MODS!!
07 Roadking Custom
09 Softtail Deluxe
gonfishn

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 08/23/08 08:55 PM »

Thanks very much I did pop the rear panel of and the locking system was fine it was the out side locks thanks again.....duct tape and lubricate!!!!!   that was great and how true     Thanks
herbie_32

I cant keep it clean!

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 01/30/10 05:18 PM »

glad i found this one i think those green thing are off a lil on mine ill do it tomorrow see how it turns out thanks guys

2002 avi indigo blue, Nu image flame guages and a/c & h/l panels, 17in weld mountain crushers, 03 center console, blue leds in interior, blue bulbs allround, torsion key leveling kit, custom hitch cover, billet grill and emblem, hyperwhite lights everywhere, chrome wheel well trim, custom installed smittybilt predator bar, 40 series flowmaster, Poweraid TBI spacer, Airaid intake, Lamin-X blue tint fogs, Hella offroad lights
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: