• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Rust Bubbles on Fender!

hitmeon20

I have a 2003 2500 Av with 58k. On the pass side fender, I am getting bubbles. SO I take it to the local GM dealer (it is GMC) they have been servicing the vehicle for the past 3 years. The body shop manager said it should be covered under the corrosion warrenty but they can't repair it because it is a chevy and they didn't sale it to me. This sounds weird to me, has anyone else had rust like this? ???

Wow I take mine to a Pontiac/GMC dealer and they have be great. By the way I have a 03 2500 also and my paint did not bubble. Did you buy it new it may have been repainted

I am not the original owner, It has had 2 previous owners. It was carfaxed and certified by chevy when I bought it in 06. It shows no signs of being wrecked or panel replacement (shims/bolt heads)

The two prior owners hurts, but a dealer not performing a GM warranty service that's under warranty because you didn't buy it there is a violation of GM's warranty practice.  Note the names of who you dealt with and contact the Chevy Customer Assistance Center.

I contacted Chevy Assistance number. They told me that the dealer is correct. Apparently, the gmc dealer an work on it if it isn't a warrenty issue, if it is, you have to take it to the specific make.  :E:

I misunderstood your original post, sorry.

Had a bit of a hard time understanding this recent one, too.

I had it and I was the second owner of mine.  What is happening is the foam behind the panels holds the water and causes the rust through.  GM will cover it if you complain about it.  The only true way to repair it is to replace the fenders.

The foam is causing the rust? i wonder why they put foam behind the fender? I will mention this to them, and hopefully they will replace it. Thanks for the info

MightyMouse said:
I'm surprised GM doesn't allow GMC to do warranty work on Chevy's...I had mine serviced for paint issues at a GMC dealership, and they never questioned it  ???

I've been lucky too in this area.

Obviously, I bought my Avalanche from a Chevy dealer. About 8 months later, I bought a CTS for my Bride from a Cadillac/GMC dealer. I had purchased a Yukon in 92 from the same dealer and had a great relationship with the Service Writer Guy.

When he discovered I had the Avalanche, he immediately asked my if I'd had any transmission shift problems, Service 4x4 issues and the like. He even did the Intermediate Steering Wheel thingy with the new & improved part without even asking me. (Essentially, he went through all the TSB's and brought it up to date)  :B: All under original 3 year - 36K warranty. :B:

He told me to bring it in for any and all WARRANTY issues as he could take care of them and his transmission guy was the best in the business.

Once they took care of the updates, I've only had a low pressure AC switch & passenger side CV boot that has required any attention post warranty.

I suppose a history with the Service Department can make a difference, but since they can do the work on the vehicles, one would think they'd try to develop a lasting relationship with any vehicle owner.  ???

Well, I stopped at the chevy dealer today, they have to check on a few things, but the body shop manager said it should be no problem!By teh way, how do you post pics on here? I have some on the computer, (on a website for photo hosting).

Click this link it will help you with posting pictures

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,4.0.html

Still trying to figure the picture thing out...
ANyways,this is hitmeon20.
GM is replacing the fender, at first, they wanted to "fix" it?, but the body shop manager found 4 pin hole size rust holes in the fender. Now, they are having a tough time matching/blending the paint (SOM).
Well at least GM did me good on this one. I will hopefully figure out the pic thing, and post before/after pics when I get the truck back. Thank you for all the info Pondfly

By the way, I stopped to see it at the body shop.  :love:
Very nice! They informed me that for the 1st couple of years, GM put foam inside the double walled fender. this causes corrosion. The later models did not have it included. My new GM fender doesn't havve it.
Just FYI!

I have a 2002...purchased in Dec 2001. 
I do have rust bubbles...

The old girl has 180K miles though....

Anyone think Chevy will help me out?  Should I bother trying?

NJ-Black-02-2500 said:
I have a 2002...purchased in Dec 2001. 
I do have rust bubbles...

The old girl has 180K miles though....

Anyone think Chevy will help me out?  Should I bother trying?
Same here, purchased Oct '01.
Bubbles on driver side only - for now.

Great, so it isn't just mine.  Mine is an 02 with 91,000 and I have it on the passenger side.

Has anyone removed the fender themselves?  I am thinking about seeing if I can find one in a junkyard as the dealership wants $800 for a new one.  They said they would paint mine for free since I just paid them $350 to paint what they thought was water that got in through a crack in the paint.

I believe another Michigan Member(Little bit) had her fender changed by the Michigan Crew.

Give BigC Mich a PM

Redwings said:
Has anyone removed the fender themselves?  I am thinking about seeing if I can find one in a junkyard as the dealership wants $800 for a new one.  They said they would paint mine for free since I just paid them $350 to paint what they thought was water that got in through a crack in the paint.

has anyone fixed this themselves?

At 205 k miles I'm thinking of sanding it down slathering the area with evaporust...back side too...
Then a little filler and paint... (black is black)

has anyone done this?

I fixed mine by buying my Jeep.  I figured if it was rusting on one side it wouldn't take long for it to start showing up in other places. 

Back