• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Completed Power folding mirror (DL3) swap

OhOneWS6

Please see post #5 for important info on this upgrade.
Please read the whole thread.  Most questions regarding this mod have already been asked and answered somewhere on the first page.

Whoo Hoo.  I got this done.  It is actually quite easy.  I bought a set of used mirrors, door switches and drivers side trim panel from a GMC truck.  If you buy used parts from a truck with this option you do not need to have the dealer flash it.  All I did is bolt the mirrors on and install the switches from the DL3 optioned truck.  I will get pics and try to do a write up of the process this weekend.

What you need from the existing DL3 optioned truck:
Mirrors
Drivers door switch and bezel
Passenger door switch  (You only need this if you want to avoid a trip to the dealer for a flash)

The drivers door switch is physically different.  It has an additional switch to fold the mirrors.  Because of this you need the trim panel as well.

While the passenger door switch is the same part number for both options, It has programmable memory module with the mirror options flashed to it.  If you do not change the passenger door switch, Your passenger door mirror will not fold in.  If you can not get a passenger door switch from a DL3 optioned truck, you can go to the dealer and have them flash your existing switch.

As an added bonus, I now have the Park Tilt option in the DIC :)  This option was not there before.  I thought I just may not have noticed it so I put the old switch back in just to check.

parktilt.jpg

Great info - now I have to find me a truck optioned with DL3 and this mod will be mine - can't wait for the write up - how difficult was it to remove the door panels?

The door panels were not bad at all.  Typical GM with push pins around the perimeter and 3 bolts.  Basically remove the door lock trim piece, one 10mm bolt behind the door handle to open the door, and two 10mm bolts behind the handle to close the door.  Both bolt locations have a plastic cover that is pretty obvious and easy to remove.

Matt

Do you know where I can get a used PDS switch for a 2007 and up DL3 optioned Avalanche, Tahoe, etc.?  How about a dealer in Maryland that will flash the PDS switch?

Thanks

A little more info on this.

I have a 2007 2LT Avalanche. I wanted the DL3 folding mirrors. This is what I went through to get them.

First I bought a set of mirrors from someone who upgraded his DL3 mirrors to the trailer mirrors. Fortunately he had the same wood grain trim as my truck so I was able to get the drivers door switch and trim panel from him as well. We plugged the drivers mirror and switch in before we parted and it worked. I thought that was all I needed to test.

I rushed home and installed the mirrors and much to my surprise the passenger mirror would not fold. The only added feature on the passenger side that worked was the turn signal. I called my dealer and asked if they could fix this by flashing the BCM. They told me there was no way it could be done. They have tried it and it was impossible. All the programing is based on the VIN and my VIN does not have that option.

I then called my salesman and convinced him to let me swap the passenger switch with a DL3 optioned truck for testing. We pulled the switch from a truck on the lot and put it in my truck. The passenger mirror functioned correctly with this switch. Even though the part was identical right down to the part number my switch would not operate the mirrors and the borrowed switch would. I further tested this by putting my switch in the DL3 optioned truck and the passenger mirror did not fold.

After talking to the parts dept we figured out the memory module was in the switch and it would have to be programed for the DL3 option. I called service back and asked them to put my switch in a DL3 optioned truck, flash it and give it back to me. They agreed to do this for me on the phone but when I showed up to get it done, they refused to do it. That was and will be my last trip to that dealership for anything.

I then called the preferred dealer of the person I bought my DL3 mirrors from uses. They were extremely accommodating even though it was a Pontiac/GMC dealer and my truck is a Chevrolet. He said it was no problem to fix this. He also stated they did not need to put my switch in a DL3 optioned truck. They could fix this with a Tech II.

Before they flashed it, I noticed that by installing the switch form the DL3 optioned truck it added the park tilt feature in the DIC. I don't use it but i thought it was cool that I had it now when I didn't before. After they flashed it this feature was gone. After talking to the tech he said the park tilt was only available with the seat upgrade. He then flashed the truck again changing the seat option and the park tilt feature returned.

Three suggestions for those with dealers who say it can't be done:
1) See if they will put your switches in one of their DL3 trucks to program them
2) Swap switches with a friends truck with the DL3 option and have the dealer flash that truck.
3) Go somewhere else

Part numbers I used:
The drivers side switch - 15906881
The wood grain bezel - 15920638

This may or may not work for your truck. Not all 900 platform trucks are wired for this option. From what I can tell if you switch looks like the picture 1 you can do the upgrade and have fully functioning folding mirrors. If you switch looks like picture 2 then you do not have the switch with the memory module and you truck will not be wired for the folding option.  Look closely at the buttons for the mirrors.  This is where the most significant difference is.

Picture 1
switch.jpg

Picture 2
switch2.jpg

Long story short, Some (but not all) can and the DL3 mirrors to a GMT900 truck and have all the features work.

OK, when you say "passenger switch", what are you meaning exactly?  I would like to do this mod too.  My 2004 Avy had folding mirrors and I could then park in the garage.  My 2007 does not.  I just want to make sure I am looking for all the correct parts.

Thanks

That only applies if you are getting used parts from a truck that has DL3 mirrors.  If you get the switch from the passenger door as well as the drivers door you can save yourself a trip to the dealer.  The passenger switch will already be programmed for the DL3 mirror option.  The switch itself is the same part as the one you have but it is programmed differently.

If you are buying new parts or plan to go to the dealer for programming them you do not need the passenger switch.

I'll send you a PM with my contact info.  I'd be happy to talk to you about this.

Matt

Does anyone have the part numbers for the driver & passenger door switches with the DL3 options.  I have the mirrors just need the part number for the switches. So if someone out there that has the DL3 option on their truck can you can the dealer and get them to give you the part numbers, they can verify it by your vin, Thanks in advance:help:

mward145 said:
Does anyone have the part numbers for the driver & passenger door switches with the DL3 options.  I have the mirrors just need the part number for the switches. So if someone out there that has the DL3 option on their truck can you can the dealer and get them to give you the part numbers, they can verify it by your vin, Thanks in advance:help:

The drivers door switch part number is in one of my previous posts.  You do not need the passenger switch. Your existing switch just needs to be reprogrammed.  Read the 5th post.  All the info is there.  Good luck with the upgrade and please post your results.

just completed my DL3 swap on my 08 LT2. ended up costing $370 for two new power folding mirrors from ebay, $120 for the driver switch, and $50 for the programming at the dealership. Mirrirs are easy to put on once u get the inside door panel off. instead of buying a new wood bezel piece for the driver switch panel, u can dremel out the portion that needs to go for the mirror fold switch and it ends up looking very good...and saves u money in the end  (y)

its awesome being able to fold the mirrors in for getting into a parking spot or garage

According to a member over at performancetrucks.net that seems to really know his $h!t these are the part numbers:

DL3 Mirrors
L 25879083
R 25838267

There is a pretty informative thread over there about adding DL3 mirrors to both databus and non-databus trucks.  I feel for the non-databus guys trying to do this.

http://performancetrucks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=441341

OhOneWS6:
I have the exact switch in picture 1. And there isnt a power fold button underneath the  "left/right" mirror switch.
Wouldn't I still need to change to the switch out in order to get that button and have the mirrors fold?

Snow Man said:
OhOneWS6:
I have the exact switch in picture 1. And there isnt a power fold button underneath the  "left/right" mirror switch.
Wouldn't I still need to change to the switch out in order to get that button and have the mirrors fold?

Yes.  It is the passenger side switch that you do not need to change.  If you are using new parts, you do not need the passenger switch and you WILL need to get your truck programmed for the power folding mirrors.  If you are getting your parts from a doner truck with the DL3 option, get both the drivers and passenger switches and you will NOT need to get them programmed.

I'm not seeing where to get all the bolts.  I found the little trim piece behind the door with the 1 10mm bolt but not the others.  I'm sureit's something simple but if anyone has pics or can steer me in the right direction that would be great.

1Fastrider said:
I'm not seeing where to get all the bolts.  I found the little trim piece behind the door with the 1 10mm bolt but not the others.  I'm sureit's something simple but if anyone has pics or can steer me in the right direction that would be great.

Here ya go.

Attachments

• screws.JPG
    screws.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,467
Alaska_AV. said:
Im moding a set of these to the wifes 02. Everything but the memory works..... lol

Yeah Jon that's the only thing controlled my the BCM, I going to try a set of 07s for mine.

besides some wiring and remolding the mirrors to the door, it's easy.....

Attachments

• akav0208mirror.jpg
    akav0208mirror.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1,440
I think the 07s are a little lower profile, with the current ones I lose site of cars on the right side.

Hi I just put some Escalade EXT mirrors on my 09 avalanche 2lt, signal are working fine and I can control the mirror to adjust them without any problem. It came with two plugs so I'm not sure if I connected the second plug correctly. I guess that is the plug for the park tilt option, but before going to the dealer to have them reflash my truck (My truck has NelsonPerformanceFlash)I would like to know if I connected it correctly. I connected the park tilt option plug in the slot next to the regular plug, but there was like two more slots. Do you have any idea?
Thanks in advance

OhOneWS6 said:
A little more info on this.

I have a 2007 2LT Avalanche. I wanted the DL3 folding mirrors. This is what I went through to get them.

First I bought a set of mirrors from someone who upgraded his DL3 mirrors to the trailer mirrors. Fortunately he had the same wood grain trim as my truck so I was able to get the drivers door switch and trim panel from him as well. We plugged the drivers mirror and switch in before we parted and it worked. I thought that was all I needed to test.

I rushed home and installed the mirrors and much to my surprise the passenger mirror would not fold. The only added feature on the passenger side that worked was the turn signal. I called my dealer and asked if they could fix this by flashing the BCM. They told me there was no way it could be done. They have tried it and it was impossible. All the programing is based on the VIN and my VIN does not have that option.

I then called my salesman and convinced him to let me swap the passenger switch with a DL3 optioned truck for testing. We pulled the switch from a truck on the lot and put it in my truck. The passenger mirror functioned correctly with this switch. Even though the part was identical right down to the part number my switch would not operate the mirrors and the borrowed switch would. I further tested this by putting my switch in the DL3 optioned truck and the passenger mirror did not fold.

After talking to the parts dept we figured out the memory module was in the switch and it would have to be programed for the DL3 option. I called service back and asked them to put my switch in a DL3 optioned truck, flash it and give it back to me. They agreed to do this for me on the phone but when I showed up to get it done, they refused to do it. That was and will be my last trip to that dealership for anything.

I then called the preferred dealer of the person I bought my DL3 mirrors from uses. They were extremely accommodating even though it was a Pontiac/GMC dealer and my truck is a Chevrolet. He said it was no problem to fix this. He also stated they did not need to put my switch in a DL3 optioned truck. They could fix this with a Tech II.

Before they flashed it, I noticed that by installing the switch form the DL3 optioned truck it added the park tilt feature in the DIC. I don't use it but i thought it was cool that I had it now when I didn't before. After they flashed it this feature was gone. After talking to the tech he said the park tilt was only available with the seat upgrade. He then flashed the truck again changing the seat option and the park tilt feature returned.

Three suggestions for those with dealers who say it can't be done:
1) See if they will put your switches in one of their DL3 trucks to program them
2) Swap switches with a friends truck with the DL3 option and have the dealer flash that truck.
3) Go somewhere else

Part numbers I used:
The drivers side switch - 15906881
The wood grain bezel - 15920638

This may or may not work for your truck. Not all 900 platform trucks are wired for this option. From what I can tell if you switch looks like the picture 1 you can do the upgrade and have fully functioning folding mirrors. If you switch looks like picture 2 then you do not have the switch with the memory module and you truck will not be wired for the folding option.  Look closely at the buttons for the mirrors.  This is where the most significant difference is.

Picture 1
switch.jpg

Picture 2
switch2.jpg

Long story short, Some (but not all) can and the DL3 mirrors to a GMT900 truck and have all the features work.

nestilloavy said:
Hi I just put some Escalade EXT mirrors on my 09 avalanche 2lt, signal are working fine and I can control the mirror to adjust them without any problem. It came with two plugs so I'm not sure if I connected the second plug correctly. I guess that is the plug for the park tilt option, but before going to the dealer to have them reflash my truck (My truck has NelsonPerformanceFlash)I would like to know if I connected it correctly. I connected the park tilt option plug in the slot next to the regular plug, but there was like two more slots. Do you have any idea?
Thanks in advance

That second plug is for the folding mirror not the park tilt.  Did you get the drivers door switch as well as the mirrors?  For the power folding option to work you have to replace the switch in the drivers door.  You might talk to the person who did your performance flash.  They may can turn the options on for you instead of going to the dealer.

OhOneWS6 said:
That second plug is for the folding mirror not the park tilt.  Did you get the drivers door switch as well as the mirrors?  For the power folding option to work you have to replace the switch in the drivers door.  You might talk to the person who did your performance flash.  They may can turn the options on for you instead of going to the dealer.
ion s
Thanks didn't know that this mirrors also fold. So the park tilt option supposed to work with the same cable that controls the signal light and the motor to adjust the mirror angle? Why I need to change the switch? The folding option is operated manually? What I have to ask my programmer? DL3 option? This would only work for the park tilt option right? Not to fol the mirros? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance

Back