Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
08/28/14 06:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ABS engages when stopping  (Read 1861 times)
rickshaw

Awards
« on: 10/01/08 06:12 PM »

I recently replaced the front and rear brake pad on my 02 w/147K miles.  The front has Power Slot rotors and Hawk Pads.  Recently the ABS kicks in after a slow stop or and the end of a regular stop.  The ABS light is NOT on.

What could be causing this issue?  A bad EBCM?

Thanks to all for your help!

02' LPM Z71, K&N drop in filter w/airbox mods, 144K strong!  Just got Gatorback'd!
MS03 2500
CAFCNA 2014 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 10/01/08 06:17 PM »

Could be a speed sensor going bad, next time see if the ABS light flashes when it happens.

And if you can tell if it's from the front or rear.

2003 2500
rickshaw

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 10/01/08 06:21 PM »

Thanks from a former SE Michigander!

02' LPM Z71, K&N drop in filter w/airbox mods, 144K strong!  Just got Gatorback'd!
MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 10/01/08 06:24 PM »

Thanks from a former SE Michigander!

That's right you were, now I remember ya. How's life in FL

2003 2500
JSal69
CAFCNA 2004 Supporting Member

LI/NYC Chapter Decals On Sale Now - $6 each

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 10/01/08 06:25 PM »

I just noticed the exact same issue with my AV.

It started on a day when it was wet out, but I was going extremely slow when applying the brake.

I noticed it again today and it was sunny and dry.

Only happens when applying the brake at very slow speeds.

I'll have to look into it and post up what I find.

If you find out anything first please post up.

'04 Arrival Blue, WBH, Z71, SS Emblems, SS Headrests, Chrome SS Silverado Rims & SS White Face Gauge Cluster w/Trans Temp, Denali Dash Bezel, Many Chrome Parts, Born-On-Date 11/28/03, Adoption Date 01/02/04, Member Of The A.B.N.

"THOUGH I DRIVE THRU THE VALLEY OF RICE, I SHALL FEAR NO IMPORT... FOR TORQUE ARTE' WITH ME..."
JSal69

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 10/01/08 06:27 PM »

Could be a speed sensor going bad, next time see if the ABS light flashes when it happens.

And if you can tell if it's from the front or rear.

I looked for the light when it happened to mine but it wasn't lit.

Mine feels as if it's the right front.

Trannyman replaced my right front wheel bearing a couple of months ago and the ABS was on at that time.

The wheel bearing was extremely bad, so they might be related.
« Last Edit: 10/01/08 06:29 PM by JSal69 » Logged

'04 Arrival Blue, WBH, Z71, SS Emblems, SS Headrests, Chrome SS Silverado Rims & SS White Face Gauge Cluster w/Trans Temp, Denali Dash Bezel, Many Chrome Parts, Born-On-Date 11/28/03, Adoption Date 01/02/04, Member Of The A.B.N.

"THOUGH I DRIVE THRU THE VALLEY OF RICE, I SHALL FEAR NO IMPORT... FOR TORQUE ARTE' WITH ME..."
MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 10/01/08 06:30 PM »

The dealer can scan it and see if one sensor is reading wrong. I remember one member had one that was reading 30 MPH standing still.

2003 2500
02avi

Mean Green Avi

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 10/02/08 05:23 AM »

I had this problem a couple months ago. Went to my local mechanic to try to figure out what sensor it was and when we took it for a test drive it never did it. But I ended up changing both of my wheel bearings and haven't had the problem since. Not to fun when your trying to stop and the abs is kicking in.

2002, Z71, ambers, wig wag, Rancho 9000xl adjustable shocks, chrome stainless steel lund bug deflector, chrome door handles, chrome cladding letters, chrome tailgate letters, four fender flares, chevy molded mud flaps, more to come...
rickshaw

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 10/02/08 05:51 PM »

That's right you were, now I remember ya. How's life in FL

All's good down here, but I'll always be a downriver rat!  And I'm going to see the Kid down here tomorrow night.

I'll be driving the Av tomorrow and will look for the light.  Where is the speed sensor?  On the back of the caliper?

Thanks to all for your posts!

Waz

Some times you just have to grin and bear it.

Awards
« Reply #9 on: 10/02/08 06:19 PM »

This is sounding a lot like the '02 recall for corroded wheel speed sensors.

Brake Recall Front Wheel Sensor

'04 1500 2wd, SBM, cladded
MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #10 on: 10/02/08 06:34 PM »

The fronts are in the front bearing hub and the rear is near the parking brake on the axle.

2003 2500
rickshaw

Awards
« Reply #11 on: 10/03/08 11:33 AM »

Waz - thanks for your post, I think we're right on the money but FL is not listed under the recall.

As you can see in my signature, my Av is parked 4-5 days at a time completely exposed to wind, sand and salt.  For example, my brake lines corroded to the point where they broke on the rack while replacing my tires. 

I drove the it today and the ABS still came on, but not as often than before.  What is involved in cleaning/replacing the speed sensors?  How much do they cost?

Thanks all!

Waz

Some times you just have to grin and bear it.

Awards
« Reply #12 on: 10/05/08 05:26 PM »

Here's another link to a thread with some TSBs that deal with the ABS light and system.

TSB's: Brakes

'04 1500 2wd, SBM, cladded
JSal69

Awards
« Reply #13 on: 10/16/08 05:42 AM »

Had my AV up at trannyman's shop recently for some warranty work.

While there he changed the sensor for the left front wheel.
We had recently done the hub on the right & it comes with a new sensor.

Problem gone, and all covered by extended warranty.

rickshaw

Awards
« Reply #14 on: 10/25/08 01:17 PM »

I just pulled my sensors and they were pretty gunked up.  Cleaned & re-installed them and the problem feels worse.

What are the odds of having two bad sensors?

Rich

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: