• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

ABS engages when stopping

rickshaw

I recently replaced the front and rear brake pad on my 02 w/147K miles.  The front has Power Slot rotors and Hawk Pads.  Recently the ABS kicks in after a slow stop or and the end of a regular stop.  The ABS light is NOT on.

What could be causing this issue?  A bad EBCM?

Thanks to all for your help!

Could be a speed sensor going bad, next time see if the ABS light flashes when it happens.

And if you can tell if it's from the front or rear.

rickshaw said:
Thanks from a former SE Michigander!

That's right you were, now I remember ya. How's life in FL

I just noticed the exact same issue with my AV.

It started on a day when it was wet out, but I was going extremely slow when applying the brake.

I noticed it again today and it was sunny and dry.

Only happens when applying the brake at very slow speeds.

I'll have to look into it and post up what I find.

If you find out anything first please post up.

MichiganSilver03 said:
Could be a speed sensor going bad, next time see if the ABS light flashes when it happens.

And if you can tell if it's from the front or rear.

I looked for the light when it happened to mine but it wasn't lit.

Mine feels as if it's the right front.

Trannyman replaced my right front wheel bearing a couple of months ago and the ABS was on at that time.

The wheel bearing was extremely bad, so they might be related.

The dealer can scan it and see if one sensor is reading wrong. I remember one member had one that was reading 30 MPH standing still.

I had this problem a couple months ago. Went to my local mechanic to try to figure out what sensor it was and when we took it for a test drive it never did it. But I ended up changing both of my wheel bearings and haven't had the problem since. Not to fun when your trying to stop and the abs is kicking in.

MichiganSilver03 said:
That's right you were, now I remember ya. How's life in FL

All's good down here, but I'll always be a downriver rat!  And I'm going to see the Kid down here tomorrow night.

I'll be driving the Av tomorrow and will look for the light.  Where is the speed sensor?  On the back of the caliper?

Thanks to all for your posts!

The fronts are in the front bearing hub and the rear is near the parking brake on the axle.

Waz - thanks for your post, I think we're right on the money but FL is not listed under the recall.

As you can see in my signature, my Av is parked 4-5 days at a time completely exposed to wind, sand and salt.  For example, my brake lines corroded to the point where they broke on the rack while replacing my tires. 

I drove the it today and the ABS still came on, but not as often than before.  What is involved in cleaning/replacing the speed sensors?  How much do they cost?

Thanks all!

Had my AV up at trannyman's shop recently for some warranty work.

While there he changed the sensor for the left front wheel.
We had recently done the hub on the right & it comes with a new sensor.

Problem gone, and all covered by extended warranty.

I just pulled my sensors and they were pretty gunked up.  Cleaned & re-installed them and the problem feels worse.

What are the odds of having two bad sensors?

Rich

Back