• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Auto 4WD, humming noise in front end

WVUAVY

Got a pretty good rain here in NE GA today and roads were a little slick. Put the AV into auto 4WD, went in fine. Going up hills, I'm getting a noticeable humming noise coming from the front end. I've never noticed it before. Is this normal? Never had this issue with any other 4WD, just wondering if anybody else had the same issue.

By the way, no service 4WD message in the DIC.

Pretty sure it is normal.  I get one and many others do too.  Changed all my diff fluids and still there.

It's a pretty loud hum. Not real loud, but loud enough that you can hear it over the radio. It only happens above 2K rpm, under 2k, nothing.

I have had that on ocation to, changed the fluids, still there once in a while.

I am curious those, why in the heck are you using 4wd on rain covered pavement? It's not even needed on snow unless your actually slipping when accelerating!

It was in Auto 4WD and it was pretty slick. First rain in quite a while here and the rear end was breaking loose at stop lights.

Mine does it, I read somewhere it is normal.  The front hubs are engaged in AUTO so it is ready to put the transfer case into 4WD when it detects slip.

Back