• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

PNW Cruise Thru BC

pdxkevin

SM 2006
SM 2005
SM 2004
SM 2003
I would love to see more of what lies beyond Vancouver BC. ?Head up to Banff? Jasper? Maybe the other way and try to make a run to Ketchican, AK?

Since the weather would be better for an end of the summer cruise, any suggestions? anyone willing to lead or point the way?

This could be a Portland Chapter, MT/ID Chapter, Seattle Chapter meet Edmonds Chapter cruise.

I know there is interest in heading further south with WWWII. ?By the end of summer, I am looking for shade. So heading north is more to my tastes.

I don't have any set goals other than to have fun, camp, and explore. (A night or two in a hotel would be a nice midway change to really freshen up.)

What do ya think?

pdxkevin said:
I would love to see more of what lies beyond Vancouver BC. ?Head up to Banff? Jasper? Maybe the other way and try to make a run to Ketchican, AK?
If you made your way to Banff or Jasper, I am certain that myself and several other local members would be interested in meeting up there, maybe going through the icefields and parkway. I have considered the drive to Alaska this summer, stopping to camp each night, but I am not yet certain. It is a decision I am struggling with at the moment.

pdxkevin said:
Since the weather would be better for an end of the summer cruise, any suggestions? anyone willing to lead or point the way?
I think it depends how many people are interested and where they all live. If we can map that out, we might be able to plot a course that everyone is happy with.

pdxkevin said:
I know there is interest in heading further south with WWWII. ?By the end of summer, I am looking for shade. So heading north is more to my tastes.
This biggest reason I am staying north at the moment is because since I purchase my truck and have explored, I have realized how much is in my own backyard. Alberta and Canada in general is a wonderful place to explore and just drive. The scenery is breathtaking and really makes you appreciate what there is here, and it costs nothing.

pdxkevin said:
I don't have any set goals other than to have fun, camp, and explore. (A night or two in a hotel would be a nice midway change to really freshen up.)
It is ironic, but something as 'non-outdoors' as a truck has me camping more than I ever have before. The past two summers, I have camped more than the rest of my life combined. I do agree about a hotel once or twice, though. Showers are definitely nice!

We might be able to work something out here. Let's see who else is interested. :)

pdxkevin said:

What do ya think?

Ketchican? Who the hell wants to goto Ketchican.
34 years in Alaska, I've avoided going there, .......... ;)

Well......4... u ..guys...... >:D

I would love to do this. I was going to try to get to Jasper last July, but only got as far north as Glacier/Waterton NP. Going further north meant giving up 2-3 days of fishing in Montana, which is beyond my will-power. I was only on a 6 day trip

Alaska_AV said:
Ketchican? Who the hell wants to goto Ketchican.

I would love to drive the AL-CAN Hwy again, but not this summer. Money and time will not permit it. Ketchican is a 34 hour straight drive from Portland. Talked with the Mrs. last night about the drive. She would prefer to see more and drive less. She has a good point.

This is her first trip into Canada so we need to spend more time out of the AV looking, learning and exploring than cruising down the Hwy. She does have a point.

I am sure that a great loop could be planned where everyone could stretch their legs, shop, see historic stuff, eat, camp, and generally get a good "taste" of Canada. (At least the Western Provences).

Personally, I just want to get away form work for a while and explore/camp.

So if we head north from Portland, thru Seattle and cross into Canada at which border crossing?

Should we head to Victoria, Vancouver, or Whistler first?

pdx, cross at the Peace Arch (don't take the truck crossing) into Vancouver. You have to drive through Vancouver to go to Whistler anyway. Here is what I would do if I were you:
Vancouver - stay at Golden Ears Provincial Park near Coquitlam (nice lake for swimming, great hiking, beautiful walks, fantastic sites). Two nights and reservations are taken with phone contact on line. Walk Stanley Park, hike Lynn Canyon, Cypress Ski Hill, or any of a million more hikes on the North Shore (if you ride MTB then you've heard of the North Shore). Drive up to Squamish and check out the Big Chief rock face. If you backpack then Black Tusk is a must, just a little ways along the highway to Whistler; two nights minimum in alpine setting with glaciers, cinder cones, glacial lakes UNBELIEVABLE BEAUTY. On to Whistler, camp any where and ride the ski lift up to the top with a great hike down. Drive to Pendleton and past there is wilderness like you don't got left down there in the US. There's two weeks easy.

I would save the island for a separate trip; you lose half a day in ferry trips each way. The island has lots to see: Victoria, Nanaimo, ancient primal forests, Prime Beach on the asian facing side, and north island - a week trip in itself.

Now - if anyone wants - back country Alberta with Banff, Lake Louise, and Jasper thrown in. Let me think on this one. Be back to you. I love this country.

My mission is more defined now... I am shooting for a Friday-Monday trip. Four days - three nights. In that seeing some Vancouver, some touristy stuff, some historic stuff, maybe a horseback riding or fishing option, camping, one night in a motel/hotel, scenic stuff, and exploring the various restaurants along the way.

I was looking at the Frasier Valley loop as a possibility or is the loop around to the NW of Vancouver better?

What will give a good taste of the area without needing to take out a second mortgage to make do-able?

I need to balance the outdoor with the city/shopping/historic stuff.

This thread was retitled inorder to clearify the scope of the cruise.

... that and I was told the Alaska statement was scaring some people away who might be interested in the fun, and exciting explorational cruise through the Southern region of British Columbia!

There seems like so much to see and do it is getting hard to keep it within a 4 day run.

Start Location: Portland OR
Start Time: 5:00 am
Dates: TBA
Itinerary: TBA

Why 5 "In-OMG-It's-Early" Morning? Well, to get up into BC while there is still time to see and do stuff that first day.

You don't have to start in Portland. It is where we are starting on our drive north that's all. Join up along the route or meet us there.

I really would like to get up to Jasper and Banff this summer. How's the flyfishing up that way, Chasman?

That would be over 775 mile each way for me.... that makes it a 40 hour RT drive according to the software. I don't know if I can get that much time off to devote 4 days to driving. although the straight driving time is about 20 hours they aren't facturing in the breaks for gas/food/restrooms/tourist traps...

Would you consider Kamloops? They say the fishing is really good up there. :) It is just over a 20 hour RT drive.

Steelheadchaser said:
I really would like to get up to Jasper and Banff this summer. How's the flyfishing up that way, Chasman?

After some long talking and long looks at the calander.... w trip to Banff might be doable in the early fall. ;D

Steel the fishing's good pretty well everywhere up here, both sides of the mountains. I fish mostly on the Alberta side in the foothills. Banff and Jasper parks both have opportunities, but I prefer less visited venues for throwing the fly. Sometime in July I'm heading up to Maligne Lake for a canoe trip to the far end. Bigggg rainbows up there, all catch and release.

Have you decided not to do Vancouver and Whistler, pdx? How about the Okanagon Valley? Penticton is basically the same distance as Kamloops. I would choose Osoyoos and Penticton over Kamloops for the following reasons:
-great beaches for the kids
-the lakes are great for swimming, boating, fishing
-there are lots of day hiking and biking opportunities close by (Kettle Valley Railway, Okanagon Provincial Park)
-orchards and wineries, with tasting rooms for rainy days (it does happen)
-backcountry exploration and fishing opportunities all within short drives (Chute Lake has a lodge with campground within 45 minutes of Pentiction; quiet secluded spot, winding single track road in)

My family has vacationed there every year for the past 30 years. It does get busy in the summer months, both for hotels and campers, so some advance scouting would be required.

pdx, you just have to have more than 4 days to do Banff justice. It's a long day's drive up and another back down; two days wouldn't be enough to do the park justice! You can spend a whole day alone going up to Lake Louise, drooling at the scenery, and hiking in to the teahouse!

You're right, Chasman. I think this is a case of being a kid in a candy store - way too many options. It is my wife's first trip into Canada and my first trip exploring this region in more detail.

Time and money are finite ~ but desires to explore are limitless.

I want this to be a great trip, which will make more return trips more appealing. Seems everytime I point a web browser in that direction another great spot comes into view.

We are in thr process of getting an AV tent so we can travel a little more freely. Now which way to steer? That is the big question.

I remeber being up in Banff and Jasper back in my teens. WOW. I want to share that with my wife. We are now talking about going Friday night thru a week to the following Sunday. Or something in between. I don't want it to be rushed nor limited to only a small area. aaaaahhhhhhrrrrggggg... to many choices. I was hoping that there would be a great loop that was all-encompassing. Since there doesn't appear to be one - I will have to surf and create one.

I really need to spend more time surfing the web to see if I can make heads or tails out of which route will be best for my first run north of the boarder in the AV. it is the best place to research stuff so away to the search engines I go.

Now you're talking! With a week we can do something for you! I'll do some research as well. What about a route like this:
Portland to Vancouver
Vancouver to Jasper
Jasper to Banff
Banff to Waterton (this side of Glacier)
Glacier to Portland

Remember these are just suggestions for your use in planning. Hope I can be of some help in making the trip a good one. We do want your wife to want to come back to Canada. I'ts a wonderfull place.

Back