• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2007 LTZ Door Handles

yoopr60

I have had all (4) door handles replaced, they pull away from the body.  The rear passenger just pull away again so I have to take it in.  Anyone else having this problem?

So I just took my Avalanche to the dealer.  The Manager was saying that they were going to send the replaced door handle to GM and that GM may want to know if the vehicle has been modified.  I asked him what that meant and he said lifted, that people might be tugging on the door handles to get in.  I explained that was incorrect since you open the door first and then get in.  Plus it's a door handle!!!  He did say he has not replaced any other door handles on any vehicles.

this just happened to my door handles, and from looking at it, its because they used a plastic retainer instead of metal. stupid design....so it there a metal replacement door handle available?

I have 2010 ltz. I had to have both pasenger door handles replaced ,front one when i went to open the door it just pulled right out,the back one pulled away from the body. This makes me crazy why do they build them so cheap.

Just replaced the driver's door handle on mine.  Also had the dealership replace the driver's side rear door replaced since it was under warranty.  It's very common for this to happen and Chevy would rather not discuss it.  They know they have a problem but aren't willing to acknowledge it.  The metal screws don't work well with the plastic housing they bolt into.  Really poor design.

Since the thread is up, I'll add that I've had both handles on my driver's side replaced, front and rear door on separate occasions.  Separated near the base, as described (pretty sure the female screw mount snapped off).  The dealer I bought the truck from here in KC replaced the handles under warranty with no questions asked -- as they should.

It really doesn't take anything special for the handles to break.  I was merely opening the door, and I'm not rough on cars by any means.  This is simply a case of GM going the "cheap route" and using plastic on a piece that should have been metal in the first place.

Same problem here. I have an '07 LTZ with the chrome exterior handles. My passenger/front exterior door handle pulls away from the body from the front of the handle. It flexes in the middle and appears that the rear screw (or whatever holds the handle to the body) is still intact. The vehicle is out of warranty and I have not yet addressed the issue with my dealership yet. Does anyone know of any TSBs or recalls or has anyone had any luck with getting this fixed at no cost? If not, how much should I expect to spend?

PS: the door still opens but have to make sure to push the handle back toward the body. I'm also waiting for it to rip entirely off if I forget to mention it to a passenger and they give it a big yank!

Send Chevy an email.......I did.  They were very helpful and after the warranty ran out on my '07 (extended warranty doesn't cover it), I did the classic complain and resolved the issue.

Of course -- I went into detail and spoke that a $53,000 vehicle, when brand new, shouldn't have these problems after 3 to 4 years.  I also threw in the old, "I never had any such problems with my Ford and if this is the way Chevy builds vehicles and the dealerships aren't willing to take responsibility and fix the problem, then I'll switch back to Ford." 

Be creative in your email to them and complain in a politically correct manner.  Of course, when they called me, they started off by telling me that they would cover a portion of the costs to fix the problem.  I told them I wasn't paying any costs associated with repair and the door handle would remain that way until the day I trade it in for another vehicle, not being a Chevy.  They bucked and paid for it all.

Take it to a local dealership first and see what they say........if they say they won't fix it because it's not under warranty any longer, then do the above.

07 LTZ here also, was starting to have issues w/ the passenger door also. took into the dealer for him to tell me "no warrantee". Man I was mad. went back home to check the inside of the door myself. didnt really see anything broken so i grabbed some WD lubed it up and it worked as new! Used on all doors and latches. all are absolutley fine after that. I guess I will periodically be sure to lube them from here, otherwise I'm sure I will have the same issue again.

desirehrdwd said:
07 LTZ here also, was starting to have issues w/ the passenger door also. took into the dealer for him to tell me "no warrantee". Man I was mad. went back home to check the inside of the door myself. didnt really see anything broken so i grabbed some WD lubed it up and it worked as new! Used on all doors and latches. all are absolutley fine after that. I guess I will periodically be sure to lube them from here, otherwise I'm sure I will have the same issue again.

Are you talking about the door handle actually separating from the door body, because the metal screw breaks the plastic housing?  I think that's where this thread was directed at.

I have a 2013 with this issue.  Other than replace the handle, is there a fix?

Back