• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

fuel tank removal

red avalanche

Hi there. I am looking for advice. I have a 2002 avalanche and I am replacing the fuel pump. I need instruction on how to remove the quick connects on the two lines going to the pump..
I can't see how it's possible with the tank in there because of the welded in crossmember being in the way...

It doesn't appear that the tank can be removed until the lines are disconnected though...

any help or picture on how to access and disassemble these would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Jamie

There are many threads here already about fuel pump replacements and procedures. Use the search button and search for "fuel pump" and you will find more information about fuel pumps than you ever wanted to know.

here is one of the many threads about the procedure.

I have read the information posted and it has been helpful except it seems people are not going into detail about how to separate these fuel lines..

I don't know maybe it's just me having a hard time with this....I am going to lower the tank a little and see if I can gain better access this way...hopefully nothing breaks..

Also...the truck didn't give a code for this.....is this normal???? It won't stay running and I am not hearing the pump run when the key is turned.

Thanks

red avalanche said:
I have read the information posted and it has been helpful except it seems people are not going into detail about how to separate these fuel lines..

I don't know maybe it's just me having a hard time with this....I am going to lower the tank a little and see if I can gain better access this way...hopefully nothing breaks..

Also...the truck didn't give a code for this.....is this normal???? It won't stay running and I am not hearing the pump run when the key is turned.

Thanks

:welcome: to the club  :wave:

Did you see this?

It's done and the problem is solved. No thanks though to the engineer who designed the quick connects. They are abosolutely stupid!!!

They should be named impossible disconnects :beating:

Anyway...it runs great again. Just so you know...mine didn't throw any codes when the pump went..

Thanks again...Merry Christmas.

Back