• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Diablo

04av915

I just installed the 87 tune and am wondering a couple things. I turned the speed limiter up to 125 and it cut completely off at 110.  just wondering why it does this.  not that i need to go 125 or want to just wondering.  also with the 87 tune i was knocking a lot so i pulled 5 degrees of timing.  i did not feel much power added ether.  i also up the shift pressure to 25% is that okay. 

Theres an issue with the Av tune that causes that.  You can turn it off completely if you want no speed limit tho.

04av915 said:
I just installed the 87 tune and am wondering a couple things. I turned the speed limiter up to 125 and it cut completely off at 110.  just wondering why it does this.  not that i need to go 125 or want to just wondering.  also with the 87 tune i was knocking a lot so i pulled 5 degrees of timing.  i did not feel much power added ether.  i also up the shift pressure to 25% is that okay. 

Ernest advice from an admitted Diablosport critic, especially wrt NBS GM trucks ....the speed limiter issue is the least of your worries. Unless you understand engine tuning and are willing to deal with a really buggy tool that has no TCM support,  pull DS's software out your truck, right now before you do any damage. Sell the handheld and hire a competent tuner. My recommendation is Nelson Performance out of San Antonio but there are others.

ltxi said:
Ernest advice from an admitted Diablosport critic, especially wrt NBS GM trucks ....the speed limiter issue is the least of your worries. Unless you understand engine tuning and are willing to deal with a really buggy tool that has no TCM support,  pull DS's software out your truck, right now before you do any damage. Sell the handheld and hire a competent tuner. My recommendation is Nelson Performance out of San Antonio but there are others.

The newer ones aren't very buggy at all... the speed issue is probably one of few bugs.  Lack of TCM support is moreso GMs fault for code tampering, although they should have been able to get around it by now...

ltxi said:

thanks man.  great advise.  im sorry i have never used the diablo befor and am new to the software.  i am use to AEM on my toy/raceday car.  i think if i can tune a car to hit 10s and not blow up i can handle the diablo.  i have done alot of reading on the diablo since i have posted the post and have worked out alot of the issues and am working on dialing in the tune.  The only thing that i am still wondering about is the shift preasure because i have never drove an automatic tell i bought this truck. 

The diablo does what i want it to do.  why do i need to have a complete custom tune made for a daily drive/ toy hauler?

04av915 said:
The diablo does what i want it to do.  why do i need to have a complete custom tune made for a daily drive/ toy hauler?

You don't. If you want to work with your Av as a hobby car, can get the DS tool to do what you want/need, and can manage to avoid the occasional corrupted down load, that's cool. Lack of TCM support is a significant flaw, imho. And that has nothing to do with GM, by the way. GM split the PCM system into two (ECM/TCM) modules. Then after two years of lying about imminent support, DS functionally admitted to a decision to not invest in dealing with the change. I don't think any of the other handhelds provide TCM support either, though. At least they didn't six or so months ago.

More to my point is that you can get a first class, custom, reliable tune with lifetime support for the same price or less...and get what you want without risk or sweat.

:wave: Hand helds are OK if you want to put it back to stock when you take it to the dealer ship but you will only get 10 to 15 Hp out of them but if you go with a custom tune you will get 25 to 35 HP and is cheaper.

VB-02 said:
:wave: Hand helds are OK if you want to put it back to stock when you take it to the dealer ship but you will only get 10 to 15 Hp out of them but if you go with a custom tune you will get 25 to 35 HP and is cheaper.

I do have to admit I definitely spent  more than the price of a handheld, primarily because of the dealer/warranty issue. I bought out my stock modules and reinstall them for the occasional trip to the dealer for warranty work....twice so far. The swap is a three minute job and I carry the OEM parts and a 10mm wrench in the truck on the off chance something blows up and it ends up on the hook. All $$ and effort well worth it to me, though. This thing's running great.

Well, Not to be a critic of the Diablo but I recently lost some money due to I feel false advertizing. I went to the website and search for the programmer that supports my application So I searched for 08 avalanche and it gave me u7194 so Cool I went and purchased a programmer and when I plugged it in it says "Does not support your application" after several phone calls and posting in that useless forums I get the excuse from Tech support that GM has locked the computers to avoid aftermarket tunning....so there I sit with a useless blue brick a very expensive one as a matter of Fact and al they could tell me is that they are working on the issue. I felt they should have taken the 08 application until they figure out all the bugs...anyways I sold the blue brick on ebay at a loss and I am done with Diablo. before i forget costumer service was very rude they told me "If i need to be mad it should be towards GM not them"  :beating: Just i figure I let everybody know my story with diablosport blue brick.  (y)

ssmaniac said:
Well, Not to be a critic of the Diablo but I recently lost some money due to I feel false advertizing. I went to the website and search for the programmer that supports my application So I searched for 08 avalanche and it gave me u7194 so Cool I went and purchased a programmer and when I plugged it in it says "Does not support your application" after several phone calls and posting in that useless forums I get the excuse from Tech support that GM has locked the computers to avoid aftermarket tunning....so there I sit with a useless blue brick a very expensive one as a matter of Fact and al they could tell me is that they are working on the issue. I felt they should have taken the 08 application until they figure out all the bugs...anyways I sold the blue brick on ebay at a loss and I am done with Diablo. before i forget costumer service was very rude they told me "If i need to be mad it should be towards GM not them"  :beating: Just i figure I let everybody know my story with diablosport blue brick.  (y)

I've been off the DS forums for awhile, but if nothing has changed in the last few months, the "GM locked" excuse is bs. Be thankful, though. They've probably done you a real favor.

ltxi said:
I do have to admit I definitely spent  more than the price of a handheld, primarily because of the dealer/warranty issue. I bought out my stock modules and reinstall them for the occasional trip to the dealer for warranty work....twice so far. The swap is a three minute job and I carry the OEM parts and a 10mm wrench in the truck on the off chance something blows up and it ends up on the hook. All $$ and effort well worth it to me, though. This thing's running great.

which custom tune you have? My friend works with one of them and told me if you care about warranty then ......meaning forget it!

2008z71 said:
which custom tune you have? My friend works with one of them and told me if you care about warranty then ......meaning forget it!

Allen Nelson's......Nelson Performance out of of San Antonio. In theory, GM can't void a warranty unless they can "prove" that a mod was responsible for the breakage. As a practical matter, it's a fight best avoided. Which is, primarily, why I bought out my cores. Swapping the original ECM/TCM back in returns the Av to dead stock. It also keeps the truck on the road if/when I'm having the tune modified....twice so far.

Like I said, not the cheapest solution, but by far the the most reliable and effective.....other than diy which was too learning curve labor intensive for me for a single vehicle. And, I get TCM support. Pulled out 80% of TM and it does make a difference on the rare occasion when I really get on it.

ltxi said:
In theory, GM can't void a warranty unless they can "prove" that a mod was responsible for the breakage.

true; but in reality it's the exact opposite.  I was involved with the original inception of the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act in the late 1970's. It's original intention was with the aftermarket car audio mfgrs... who found out that new car dealers were telling their customers if they put an aftermarket radio in the car -  it would void the cars entire warranty.

The MMWA stopped that nonsense and has been revised to include all forms of aftermarket items (not restricted just to car audio anymore).

But the way it's actually played out over the years... GM, Ford, and the others don't have to prove anything to void a part of or the cars warranty - or even the entire vehiles warranty. We have to prove that their actions were unwarranted.   But at least now with the MMWA.... if we're successful in proving the denial was unwarranted... you can recover all losses incurred.

I agree with what you stated earlier "it's a fight best avoided".  We now have the right to sue, but it will take time, effort, and $$$ to get your rights under the MMWA.

That doesn't mean "no modding" during the warranty coverage period; it just means be careful and try to do it in a less-obvious manor.

The MMWA was a clear case of what happens when a bunch of arrogant mfg twits finally way overstep their bounds....and if you had anything to do with it's passage you are my friend for life.

In this case...having outgrown idealism at any cost and recognizing my actions could be considered marginally subversive wrt to the tranny, I decided that throwing a preventative $300 at the issue was a good idea. I view it as pre-paid insurance.

Back