• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2007 Avalanche steering wheel emblem cap replacement. Help

Steeltroop

Okay, so I had an incident the other day that inflicted damage to the bowtie emblem cap on my 07 Avlanche.  I've looked on ebay and have not had any luck locating a replacement.  Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I might locate a steering wheel center cap.  Additionally any info on how you remove and replace center cap would be appreciated.  Do you pry it off from the outside?  Do you remove you're horn/airbag cover?  Any suggestion would be great.  Thanks Avy Nation.

The emblem on the center cap has 6 tabs that protrude through the airbag cover and then bend over.  GM doesn't sell just the cap because you have to disassemble the airbag to replace it, causing a bit of a safety issue if it was reassembled improperly.  I replaced my 04 airbag cover with one I found on ebay, but you REALLY have to be careful doing this.  Instructions are in this link:

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,93465.0.html

Attachments

• airbag2.jpg
    airbag2.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 131
I had this problem as well as I bought my AV used and previous owner hammered through the emblem.  I finally found a guy off ebay that is selling the emblem for $15.  I just just a very small screw driver and pried the old emblem off essentially bending the tabs loose. For install of the new emblem I cut all the tabs off cleanly with a pair of tin snips and used some gel super glue around the edge of the emblem to fasten to the airbag. LOOKS GREAT, and I didn't have to take the airbag out! Even my kids are like wow!  (y)

- Dtown

I know this is an old thread, but the center bowtie emblem replacement is not a new issue.  I replaced my '07 Avalanche LTZ stock steering wheel with an Autowoods Chevy Burl custom about a month ago.  Since then, I've been in search of a bowtie emblem replacement, because my old one is an eyesore against the new Burl background. 

Has anyone located a source for the 'genuine' item - not a decal, or the cheap soda can-thin aluminum look-alike, such as the one I found on eBay & sent back.  Would appreciate any assistance.

My '07 Bermuda Blue LTZ is still pretty much stock, except for the K&N cone filter & intake, plus the Autowoods custom steering wheel, but 214.5K mi. and still holding it together.

Have you looked at anything like this. Or looked at having a custom made.

https://www.avalancheandaccessories.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=114_126&products_id=455&zenid=7f41462aa229abe7e488c914bafda5c0

No, I haven't, but since you were good enough to provide a link, I did look over what they had to offer.  For now, I'm trying to avoid decals or overlays and holding out for the 'genuine' item.  But, I'll probably wind up having to buy the horn/air bag section of a steering wheel that survived a wreck to get one.  Thanks for the tip!

Back