Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
09/30/14 10:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chevy avalanche fuel tank  (Read 3930 times)
duccd

I love the Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« on: 01/05/09 01:49 PM »

Hi everyone,

My Chevy Avalanche is 2500 year 2002. 2WD
How can I know my fuel tank is rear tank or front tank.
Juts want to know before order the fuel pump.

Thanks for any help.

ygmn
Administrator

Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 01/05/09 02:01 PM »

You have 2 tanks on the 2500..

Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
DougD
CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member

So, didja?

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 01/05/09 02:02 PM »

Hi everyone,

My Chevy Avalanche is 2500 year 2002. 2WD
How can I know my fuel tank is rear tank or front tank.
Juts want to know before order the fuel pump.

Thanks for any help.

Your question doesn't make much sense, as a 2500 has a standard tank plus an auxiliary tank, so you have both.

2003 Victory Red WBH Z66.  Suburban moldings.  Color-matched handles.  K&N FIPK-II.  Dynomax Cat-Back.  DVD/TV & Vizualogics.  Ambers.  Silverstars Hi, Lo & Fog.  Police Pursuit wipers.  Dually rear clearance light (still in the box).
MS03 2500
CAFCNA 2014 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 01/05/09 02:22 PM »

The fuel pump is in the tank under the driver seat there is another above the spare tire, maybe that is what they refer to as the rear tank.

Are you sure it's the fuel pump.

2003 2500
AZAvy
CAFCNA 2011 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 01/05/09 04:15 PM »

I did a double take when I saw this:

"MOVED: Chevy avalanche fuel tank"

I first wondered, why would anyone want to? Then I realized the topic had been moved.   Cheesy

- Dan
2007 Gold Mist 6.0L LTZ
After the battle: www.woundedwarriorproject.org
ItsStopher
CAFCNA Global Moderator

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 01/05/09 06:36 PM »

Here is the Fuel System Description What problems are you having?
duccd

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 01/05/09 07:30 PM »

Thank you for all reply.
here is my problem:

Ran out of gas also battery dead.( I left the truck run all night in the farm to supply my power inverter).My bad!
In the morning, Fill the half tank and recharged battery.
Try to start, but didn't work. Retry many times, then the dash show low fuel (within 30 minutes)Huh
Refill the full tank and try start again. Still not luck.
I call the auto part store, they told me my fuel pump gone.
I didn't hear any sound from the pump. So I think my problem is fuel pump.

Any advise? 

Thanks

MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 01/05/09 07:50 PM »

If you have a fuel pressure tester I'd check that first. Changing a fuel pump is a lot of work just to find out it's not the problem. You say it showed low fuel even thou you have a 1/2 tank of gas in it. Huh

2003 2500
duccd

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 01/05/09 08:15 PM »

MichiganSilver03,

I don't know how to test the fuel pressure. Can you show me?
when I first fill 1/2 tank( 16gallons), the gauge show 1/2 tank. After I try start few times ,  the gauge go down and message appear Low Fuel.

Then, I refill full tank ( about 17 gallons more), I can see the gas full because gas pour out.
Try many time start the truck, nothing happen. The gauge still show empty, didn't move any.

Well, I will try to replace the pump. I think the picture below is the right pump.(?)
Thanks

MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #9 on: 01/05/09 08:39 PM »

The problem is you have to drop the fuel tank to replace it.

To test the fuel pressure you will have to get a fuel pressure gauge that is available at the auto parts store. There is a valve on the fuel rail that you connect it to. I'll try to find a picture.

2003 2500
MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #10 on: 01/05/09 08:43 PM »

Here is the connection view.

2003 2500
02 Z71
CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator

My other vehicle :)

WWW Awards
« Reply #11 on: 01/05/09 08:48 PM »

Here is a picture of the location of the schrader valve on a 5.3. I am sure that it is a similar location on the 8.1.

Brian

2002 Z71 Av with a few mods
2002 Toyota Tacoma
2002 Harley Ultra Classic
MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #12 on: 01/05/09 08:55 PM »

Here is the rail this from a 5.3, but the 8.1 will be close

2003 2500
MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #13 on: 01/05/09 09:00 PM »

Here is a picture of the location of the schrader valve on a 5.3. I am sure that it is a similar location on the 8.1.

Thanks a picture is worth a thousand words. Thumbs up!

2003 2500
MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #14 on: 01/05/09 09:05 PM »

One last question duccd

Did you have any problems with the AV cutting off or any check engine lights Huh

2003 2500
02 Z71
CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator

My other vehicle :)

WWW Awards
« Reply #15 on: 01/05/09 09:13 PM »

If you are getting faulty readings on your fuel gauge, I am afraid that it might indeed be the fuel sending unit which in on the fuel pump located inside of the forward fuel tank. If you did indeed run the truck out of gas and then the truck was left with the key in the on position for an extended period of time, you probably did burn up the fuel pump.

Now that you have filled the tank it will be a big time pain to drop the fuel tank to change the fuel pump if that is indeed bad. If your tank is indeed full you just added an approximately an additional 200 lbs of weight to the fuel tank so you will need to drain it before it can be dropped without something to support it. I would take it to a professional that has the correct tools to do the job right.

Brian

2002 Z71 Av with a few mods
2002 Toyota Tacoma
2002 Harley Ultra Classic
Mstangr

Awards
« Reply #16 on: 03/18/09 06:39 PM »

banghead
Hello all. I am a new member as of today. I am having a similiar problem with my 02 2500 with the 8.1. It initially stopped running and would not start back up for a few minutes. I ran the codes using my Hypertech and the DTC it spit out was the secondary fuel pump. I let my wife convince me (bad move #1 Wink) to let the dealer replace. $1200 later and just had the dame problem. Nnow they are saying the front fuel pump needs to be replaced. I would rather do this one myself. Just have to figure out the location. From what I have read thus far it is above the spare tire?

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.
Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army
DougD

So, didja?

Awards
« Reply #17 on: 03/18/09 06:41 PM »

Is it a constant failure, or random?

2003 Victory Red WBH Z66.  Suburban moldings.  Color-matched handles.  K&N FIPK-II.  Dynomax Cat-Back.  DVD/TV & Vizualogics.  Ambers.  Silverstars Hi, Lo & Fog.  Police Pursuit wipers.  Dually rear clearance light (still in the box).
MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #18 on: 03/18/09 06:57 PM »

That problem does sound familiar Mstangr stop what you are doing. Answer DougD question.

2003 2500
Mstangr

Awards
« Reply #19 on: 03/19/09 04:10 PM »

DougD,
It is a random happening. The past few days it has run slightly sluggish and it did cut off a few days ago for a few minutes.Thanks all.

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.
MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #20 on: 03/19/09 06:09 PM »

Read this Mstangr  Crankshaft position sensor

It's known to happen in 2002 2500
« Last Edit: 03/19/09 06:12 PM by MichiganSilver03 » Logged

2003 2500
Mstangr

Awards
« Reply #21 on: 03/19/09 07:13 PM »

Thanks MichiganSilver03. Any idea if anyone has posted isntructions on how to do this? Did GreatWest ever say how it worked out for him?

MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #22 on: 03/19/09 07:23 PM »

Do a search on "crankshaft position sensor" some members have did it themselves but it's hard as heck to get to. It's a known issue and some dealers have replaced them free, When you do the search you will see one that there is a recall on them up to the 2001 model of GM trucks with the 8.1 engine.

2003 2500
DougD

So, didja?

Awards
« Reply #23 on: 03/19/09 07:24 PM »

DougD,
It is a random happening. The past few days it has run slightly sluggish and it did cut off a few days ago for a few minutes.Thanks all.

Exactly why I asked, the post below the one I'm answering is most likely your situation.

Mstangr

Awards
« Reply #24 on: 04/19/09 05:05 PM »

Just an update. I took it in to the local Chevy dealer and told them the symptoms because after I looked at the Crank Position Sensor and gave it a try I figured the $300.00 was money well spent. By the time I got it to the dealer it was quitting on a daily basis. Same thing, it would stop for a minute or two and then would start right back up. After the dealer checked it out and ran a diagnostics, (the CPS doesn't throw out a code when it is bad) they did find that the primary fuel pump was putting out low fuel pressure, of course they didn't find this previously when they charged me $1200.00 to change the secondary pump. And the price quoted was $1200.00 for the primary pump too. I know I could change it. Then they threw in their own legal disclaimer regarding the CPS, in that sometimes the CPS will break off in the engine when they try to remove them and if that happens then they have to pull the engine to correct it and of course I get charged. So...............to make a long story short the primary fuel pump is changed and the symptoms have not reoccurred. I have not changed the CPS yet. If anyone other after 2001's with the 8.1L has had to change the CPS, please let me know. Thanks to everyone for the help and information. It is great to have all of this knowledge and experience in one spot !!Now to get to those LEDs.
 Grin

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: