• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

$210 FOR ISS INSTALLED? GOOD DEAL OR AM I GETTING SHAFTED?

PNUT_03Av

So, I just bought my '03 Avy a few months ago and I soon noticed that everytime I made a hard left I heard/felt a strange popping. After reading several post in the forum I figured it's probably the intermediate steering shaft. So, I called my local Chevy dealer and spoke to a service rep about the issue and he told me that the updated ISS would be $210 installed. Here's my question, as if you couldn't figure it out from the subject: does $210 sound reasonable or should I see about getting it done somewhere else? Also, is this a terribly difficult fix or could I just buy the part and do it myself?
Thanks for any help.

Its really easy to do and the part is like $65 or something like that. It took me like 45 minutes or so and that was going slow. If anyone charges over $100 (part included) its a rip-off IMO.

Ummm.....ouch

$75 part locally, most likely
$55 hourly rate
20 minute install.

$130 tops.

If you were closer to me, the $55 would be a 6-pack of Pepsi instead.

PNUT_03Av said:
So, I just bought my '03 Avy a few months ago and I soon noticed that everytime I made a hard left I heard/felt a strange popping. After reading several post in the forum I figured it's probably the intermediate steering shaft. So, I called my local Chevy dealer and spoke to a service rep about the issue and he told me that the updated ISS would be $210 installed. Here's my question, as if you couldn't figure it out from the subject: does $210 sound reasonable or should I see about getting it done somewhere else? Also, is this a terribly difficult fix or could I just buy the part and do it myself?
Thanks for any help.

I got mine done for free at a GMC truck dealership. The service manager informed me that he was told by GM brass that if the customer had paid for the ISS lube job before and/or absolutely threw a fit about it, to do the upgraded ISS install for free, parts and all. If I were you, and you don't have much of a conscience about lying, I'd tell them that you got in touch with the previous owner (say Carfax) and they stated that the ISS lube had been done a few times and that were want the upgraded ISS installed since it is a GM defect. I betcha they do it for free. Tell them Gwatney Pontiac/Buick/GMC Truck does all the 19153614 ISS upgrades for free in Little Rock, AR. That's straight from the service manager. No questions asked.

A How to thread you may want to check out.  Compliments of DougD
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,93023.0.html

I paid about 145.00 with tax at the dealer, so yeah it's a bit high.. but originally over the phone I was told it would be about 200.00.

That seems high. The book calls for .5 labor hours to do the job. At the $118/hr going rate at the dealers around me that's $59 labor. Add to that about $75 for the part gets you to $134. Depending on the state you might have tax on parts and labor (MN only taxes parts) and you're still well under $150.

It's really easy to do and I encourage you to try it yourself. Even with the moveable pedals it can still be done in about 20 minutes or less.

Im in Lejuene also.  You buy the part and a sixer of Bud-light  you got yourself a deal.  Also for future reference, the Auto Hobby Shop on base here is a really handy place, all the tools youd ever need and the veterans that work there are auto WIZARDS!  The know everything bout everything and aren affraid to get dirty to help you.

Back