Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
11/24/14 07:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ABS & Brake Light and Service Brake System Message  (Read 11546 times)
ctrujillo45

I love the Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« on: 01/28/09 10:42 PM »

Hello there-

I have a 2004 Chevy Avalanche (103k miles) and just recently my ABS and Brake Light appear and then I get a "Service Brake System" message on the instrument cluster which appear every time I start my truck.

I have found TSB Number:040525002 and followed instructions but this still didn't fix the problem.

The darn dealer wants to charge me $95.00 just to diagnose the problem---DAMN Thiefs!

Any suggestions? Has anyone had similar problems?

chevy
MS03 2500
CAFCNA 2014 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 01/29/09 07:29 AM »

Check your front wheel bearing hubs. It may be your ABS sensors

2003 2500
ctrujillo45

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 01/29/09 11:46 AM »

Sorry for the question, but can you tell me where these are located? What should I be looking for once I find the sensors? I assume I should clean thouroughly? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for all of your help.
MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 01/29/09 11:49 AM »

It's in the front wheel bearing hub. I'll see if I can find a diagram

It's item 5

« Last Edit: 01/29/09 11:55 AM by MichiganSilver03 » Logged

2003 2500
ctrujillo45

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 01/29/09 12:00 PM »

Thanks I would really appreciate that. I have been dealing with this for over 6 months now and it absolutely drives me crazy. Also, are the wheel bearing hubs hard to remove?
ctrujillo45

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 01/29/09 12:01 PM »

I truly appreciate the diagram. Is there a way to check these or do I just need to remove and clean ?
MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 01/29/09 12:24 PM »

You may be able test them jack the AV up and make sure it is fully supported and can't roll backward or forward. Grab the tire and try to move it side to side if you feel any play they are probably bad.   

No you can't clean them it is inside the sealed part of the hub. However the rear ones are location on the rear axle and can be cleaned.

You can change it yourself but it's a pretty dirty job.  Someone at the dealer should have told you why the ABS light came on, there should be a stored error code.
« Last Edit: 01/29/09 12:26 PM by MichiganSilver03 » Logged

2003 2500
Intimidatoruag

Tatertown Posse Member #5

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 01/29/09 12:28 PM »

take it to Autozone and they will read the code for you for free .... then you can find out what is wrong with the ABS ....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: