• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

ABS & Brake Light and Service Brake System Message

ctrujillo45

Hello there-

I have a 2004 Chevy Avalanche (103k miles) and just recently my ABS and Brake Light appear and then I get a "Service Brake System" message on the instrument cluster which appear every time I start my truck.

I have found TSB Number:040525002 and followed instructions but this still didn't fix the problem.

The darn dealer wants to charge me $95.00 just to diagnose the problem---DAMN Thiefs!

Any suggestions? Has anyone had similar problems?

:B:

Check your front wheel bearing hubs. It may be your ABS sensors

Sorry for the question, but can you tell me where these are located? What should I be looking for once I find the sensors? I assume I should clean thouroughly? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for all of your help.

It's in the front wheel bearing hub. I'll see if I can find a diagram

It's item 5

normal_379486.gif

Thanks I would really appreciate that. I have been dealing with this for over 6 months now and it absolutely drives me crazy. Also, are the wheel bearing hubs hard to remove?

I truly appreciate the diagram. Is there a way to check these or do I just need to remove and clean ?

You may be able test them jack the AV up and make sure it is fully supported and can't roll backward or forward. Grab the tire and try to move it side to side if you feel any play they are probably bad.   

No you can't clean them it is inside the sealed part of the hub. However the rear ones are location on the rear axle and can be cleaned.

You can change it yourself but it's a pretty dirty job.  Someone at the dealer should have told you why the ABS light came on, there should be a stored error code.

Back