• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Speed Sensitive Steering??

G

Guest User

How does this system work? Is it electronic? How does it vary the power assist? Thanks, Scott

Source: media.gm.com

For less effort and precise control, the Avalanche features an integral power-assisted recirculating ball steering system. This system is standard on two-wheel-drive models and provides excellent control and easy maneuverability at all speeds. The Avalanche has a tight curb-to-curb turning circle of 43 feet.

Four-wheel-drive models benefit from a speed-sensitive (Electronic Variable Orifice) power steering system, which offers additional assistance and ease of use, especially useful for trailering. The system reduces steering effort at lower speeds, such as when parking and reverts to normal steering effort at higher vehicle speeds. The system also is designed to operate at a lower power steering fluid temperature to help extend the useful life of the fluid.

... from http://www.media.gm.com/division/chevrolet/products/trucks/02chevy/02avalanche/powertrain.html

goo929

Can you give me more detail on how the variable orifice works?

To guest, not sure where you are coming from on this issue, or where you are going, but an Electronic Variable Orifice is sort of like a pucker, only electronicically controlled - it basically controls the pressure. ;D

I just can't notice a differance based on speed! Just curious how the system works and if mine does!

If your model meets the criteria that goo929 posted, then it does what it says, don't expect a major difference, just more assist at low parking and manuvering speeds.

BTW, since you own an Avalanche, why not join the board, that way we will know what your driving and your posts will show up in searches, it only takes a minute. ;D

gandolphxx, remember this is a no-pressure to join site. Anyway, I am tracing Scott's IP address location and will have satellite photo's and specs of his AV in the morning ;D

:eek: :rolleyes: ;D

Well, it's a wonder I even bought my AVY based on the knowledge of the salesman. He told me I didn't have keyless entry (it does and an alarm), and didn't know anything about the EVO Steering! I was braggin' about my Grand Prix GTP's Digital Proportional Steering and he said, "This isn't a car!"

Anyway, I said, "This steering is kinda loose," as I was driving around town at slow speeds. It really was easy backing out of a tight parking space. Then, when I got out on the highway, lo and behold, the wheel felt alot like my GTP! It must be the same system! All I know is that the AVY is really "tight" on the freeway and easy to manuever around town! People are amazed when you pull out of a parking place!

Ford and Dodge must not use this system! ;D

All it takes is driving an older car with 'overassisted' steering to make you appreciate the variable assist feature. Overassist is (IMO) dangerous! One accidental bump at highway speed, and you're off the road! Yet, during low speed manuvering, light steering is a definite benefit! Ain't technology great!

Yep, WRCHISM, technology is GREAT!!! :eek:

The SCV really amazes passengers too. You just drive around and the volume of the tunes is always right! ;D

:eek:

When people ride with me they are amazed at how I can whip the steering wheel around with just the palm of my hand when I'm parking or pulling out of a spot. I don't like how loose the steering wheel feels however at low speed.

My wife's T-Bird has variable power assist R&B (which by design feels tighter than reciruclating ball) and the steering in her car is MUCH heavier at low speeds than the Avalanche. However at highway speed they both feel the same.

I'm suprised the Z-66 didn't include SSS on the package. Seems like it would have made the "premium suspension" more premium feeling. I wasn't aware the Z-71 had it. Good for yall!! The site taought me somethning new today, just wish it had been about mine! :6: :B:

my only complaint, is that the steering wheel has too much play in it. I want exact input when I touch the wheel. I know it is probably left a little loose, for taking bumps and off roading etc, but there has been several times I have needed to make very small adjustments, and with the play in the wheel, it turns into a guessing game.

goo929 said:
gandolphxx, remember this is a no-pressure to join site. ?Anyway, I am tracing Scott's IP address location and will have satellite photo's and specs of his AV in the morning ?;D

hey goo929, since I am a Newbe from just yesterday you should still have my satellite photo in memory, would you mind sending me a copy? It would be cool seeing the AV from a satellite perspective. ;)

02Avalanche said:
hey goo929, since I am a Newbe from just yesterday you should still have my satellite photo in memory, would you mind sending me a copy? ?It would be cool seeing the AV from a satellite perspective. ;)
You might try TerraServer - this is Houston Intercontinental airport - just checking to see if my better half is landing ;D

02Avalanche said:
hey goo929, since I am a Newbe from just yesterday you should still have my satellite photo in memory, would you mind sending me a copy? ?It would be cool seeing the AV from a satellite perspective. ;)

We have it on file so we can pick you up when your initiation time comes up >:D

goo929 said:
We have it on file so we can pick you up when your initiation time comes up ?>:D

Initiation >:D well lets see when I joined the OffShoreOnly speed boat forum I had to donate a $1.00 to each of the top 10% posters and post a picture of my wife in a bikini ;) Can't wait to see what is in store for me here ???

02Avalanche said:
Initiation >:D well lets see when I joined the OffShoreOnly speed boat forum I had to donate a $1.00 to each of the top 10% posters and post a picture of my wife in a bikini ?;) Can't wait to see what is in store for me here ??? ?

Well ... there is a certain goat named Billy who needs to meet you ;)

Save your MOD money, you can use it to buy the wife a new bikini for the photo >:D

j/k ... i couldn't resist ... shhh ... my email is in my profile :rolleyes:

irontrain said:
Maybe we should investigate this idea.
dollar.gif

Only if you are within the top 10%. ;D

goo929 said:
Well ... there is a certain goat named Billy who needs to meet you ?;)

Save your MOD money, you can use it to buy the wife a new bikini for the photo ?>:D

j/k ... i couldn't resist ... shhh ... my email is in my profile :rolleyes:

I would have never expected billy ?;)

You know the new mods are going to cost me something! >:D for the wife

Somehow I feel this initiation has just begun :love:

your secret is safe with us :-X

I would have never expected a truck the size of the Avalanche to have such sensitive steering...but I'll tell you what it is a joy to drive and comfortable to manuever.....I wouldn't pass it up for the world..... :B:

It took me a few miles to get used to what seemed very touchy steering. I am so used to it now my old trucks power steering feels heavy and slow by comparison.

Back