• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Does your Avy hate the cold?

idahofroglvr

SM 2009
We have come to the conclusion that our Avy hates the cold weather up here in Alaska. We are having some minor issues with ours but they are laughable. The one that gets me is that the drivers seat only wants to heat up or move when it feels like it.  I think the drivers seat is just being stubborn since the passenger seat doesn't have any issues.

Does anyone know how to glue a glass mirror back on? My daughter got out of the truck one morning at school, shut the door and the glass fell out of the side mirror. Can you glue it back on or do you have to spring for a whole new one?

Anyone else have a tempermental Avy? 

Here in Alberta CANADA my Av squeels when it's real cold.

We had -35 C for a while, and the fan belts would freeze contorted.  And since I was not plugging in when she would start she'd squeel and scream for a few minutes.  Learned to shut the fan and everything off, let her warm for a few, and then blast the heat.

I have had no issues with the cold really but I just know the Pearl does not like it  :laugh:
No issues to speak of unless you don't mind seeing a short lady trying to stand on the running boards and trying to open a frozen door  :laugh: :laugh:

There aint no cold like Fairbanks cold!

got a pic of the mirror? The mirror part useally snaps in. if the tines are broke, you'll need parts. Any salvage yards around......EBAY?

My windows frease shut from time to time....lol

idahofroglvr said:
We have come to the conclusion that our Avy hates the cold weather up here in Alaska. We are having some minor issues with ours but they are laughable. The one that gets me is that the drivers seat only wants to heat up or move when it feels like it.  I think the drivers seat is just being stubborn since the passenger seat doesn't have any issues.

Does anyone know how to glue a glass mirror back on? My daughter got out of the truck one morning at school, shut the door and the glass fell out of the side mirror. Can you glue it back on or do you have to spring for a whole new one?

Anyone else have a tempermental Avy? 

oh my avy hates the cold anything colder than 32 my bags freeze and I can't raise her up. Last cold freeze she was stuck at work for 2 days till things thawed.  :E: :E:

hate to see if I was in a cold climate.

I've noticed mine turns over just a little bit slower when we have our 20 degree mornings. (yes, that's cold here) But it is 3yrs old and that's about how long a battery lasts around here. Maybe it's time. :rolleyes:

-50 to -60 cold for 2 weeks! That is over...for now!  I don't think I have a sissy model, that actually hurt my feelings!  :needhug:  Ours squeelz like a baby pig in the morning when we go out to start her up (no auto start and we have been in Alaska 4 winters now). 

Got the mirror fixed, we just glued it back on! Since I originally posted this thread the rear tail light decided it had enough and tried to jump ship while driving down the road. The clips that held it on broke off, and so we had to replace the light.  Anyone know how to repair leather?  Looks as if we have been rubbing a hole in the driver seat. All these little projects that start to drive me nuts!

Hope all of you are staying warm! Sorry it took me so long to respond to my own post, I have been busy with school and the family. I will try to be better next time...girl scout promise!

idahofroglvr said:
-50 to -60 cold for 2 weeks! That is over...for now!  I don't think I have a sissy model, that actually hurt my feelings!  :needhug:  Ours squeelz like a baby pig in the morning when we go out to start her up (no auto start and we have been in Alaska 4 winters now). 

Got the mirror fixed, we just glued it back on! Since I originally posted this thread the rear tail light decided it had enough and tried to jump ship while driving down the road. The clips that held it on broke off, and so we had to replace the light.  Anyone know how to repair leather?  Looks as if we have been rubbing a hole in the driver seat. All these little projects that start to drive me nuts!

Hope all of you are staying warm! Sorry it took me so long to respond to my own post, I have been busy with school and the family. I will try to be better next time...girl scout promise!

mine is the sissy model -50?? Hell I'd just dig a hole and drive her into it.

I get a nice grrooooaannnn out of the tranny pump first thing in the morning after a frosty night... goes away after about 2 minutes.  Coldest we've seen is -29C with windchill = -37C.  Other than that, and the slow heat in the morning, no problems!

djhype7 said:
I get a nice grrooooaannnn out of the tranny pump first thing in the morning after a frosty night... goes away after about 2 minutes.  Coldest we've seen is -29C with windchill = -37C.  Other than that, and the slow heat in the morning, no problems!
uh...-29C IS a problem.

Mine does the groan out of the tranny pump but that is about it. She liked driving through the snow that was in Jackson, TN last weekend.

not sure about my AV with the cold...lowest it's seen has been -10 degree's...but i've been working in saskatchewan and my dodge ram 1500 (with yes...a gas pig hemi lol) when we'd have -30-035 weather i'd have to put it in 4wheel drive to actually get going because the front axle grease was getting thick and not letting things turn lol

I am in  sunny southwestern Ontario. All 4 windows freeze up when it is slightly damp and the temp is below freezing .  :cry: (Any recomendations on how to stop this ?)  Also my drivers side heated seats have a mind of their own and come on at will. Usually when it is around 25 degrees celcious or higher :help:  Have had it at the dealer numerous times and parts replaced but still no luck.  In regards to the leather seat worn. I had a piece of mine replaced under warranty as I guess this is common in these vehicles.

vinneyboberino said:
I am in  sunny southwestern Ontario. All 4 windows freeze up when it is slightly damp and the temp is below freezing .  :cry: (Any recomendations on how to stop this ?)  Also my drivers side heated seats have a mind of their own and come on at will. Usually when it is around 25 degrees celcious or higher :help:  Have had it at the dealer numerous times and parts replaced but still no luck.  In regards to the leather seat worn. I had a piece of mine replaced under warranty as I guess this is common in these vehicles.

My seats are a little out of warranty. I am thinking we will invest in some custom seat covers. Our drivers seat heater doesn't like to work either. It works great in the summer, but doesn't work in the winter. Our windows freeze shut as well.  The issue we are having is trying to keep the windows from fogging over. They fog and then freeze so you have a layer of ice on the inside windows.

vinneyboberino said:
To help keep your windows from freezing, keep your window strips sprayed with silicone spray... it helps but does not eliminate problem.  Also, I have several of those "fake" credit cards you receive in the mail... if you take them and slip them down into the outside bottom of the window, and run across... it will release the frozen strip from the window.

(y)

idahofroglvr said:
My seats are a little out of warranty. I am thinking we will invest in some custom seat covers. Our drivers seat heater doesn't like to work either. It works great in the summer, but doesn't work in the winter. Our windows freeze shut as well.  The issue we are having is trying to keep the windows from fogging over. They fog and then freeze so you have a layer of ice on the inside windows.

Stop breathing in the truck, until she's warmed up!  :beating:

djhype7 said:
To help keep your windows from freezing, keep your window strips sprayed with silicone spray... it helps but does not eliminate problem.  Also, I have several of those "fake" credit cards you receive in the mail... if you take them and slip them down into the outside bottom of the window, and run across... it will release the frozen strip from the window.

(y)

And all this time I've been throwing out my fake credit cards.    :beating:
Now I have a use for 'em.  lol

Back