• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

front end vibration

03av2500

I was unsure where to post this but here is my problem. This evening I was driving my AV and when I hit my brakes I felt a slight vibration. This only occurred when I was driving down a steep grade. Later on the way back home it did it again, except this time it was quite violent. The whole truck kinda bounced around to the point I had to slow down to 30 mph to keep control. This has never happened before. The Av is a 2003 2500 with only 30,000 miles. I am almost certain that the vibration is coming from the front wheels. It seemed as the wheel may be loose but I checked all 4 and they are fine. I looked underneath and all looked ok. It is dark now and that is by using my flashlight. I will be able to see more in the morning. Thanks for your help.

Stick the AV in a lower gear, so you don't go so fast down the hills.  The vibration is caused by the brake pads rubbing on the rotors, and the rotors are becoming warped, which is causing the brake calipers to go in and out fairly quickly, which is the vibration you are feeling.

I had the same problem coming back from Nationals last year, and putting the AV in a lower gear prevented me from getting up to speeds that would cause the vibration when braking.  Just don't shift into a lower gear if you are going too fast - it can ruin the transmission!

I was only traveling about 45 mph and I was not braking that hard. Earlier I was on the interstate traveling 65-75 mph and when I would tap my brakes I felt no vibration.

Possibly the "extra weight" (of the AV being headed downhill) is putting extra pressure on the brakes.  May want to get them looked at.  I think Midas or Meineke will inspect them for free (don't quote me on that, though!)

Also check your tire pressure.  I have had odd vibrations that were due to having a front tire low.

I am going to try and have it looked at tomorrow. Today I didn't notice anytjing unusual while driving. Btw the vibration was very fast and it caused the steering wheel to shake pretty bad. It caused the whole truck to shake as if I was driving over a washboard gravel road. Are warped rotors a common problem? It just seems a little weird that this happened all at once with no prior incidents and only 30,000 of pretty easy driving. Thank you guys for your help  (y)

you only have to overheat the rotors once to warp em', replacement or "turning" is the only cure, keep in mind if you machine em' they are now thinner and warp even easier!!! the real cure is....    doug durastop where are you ?  :laugh: :laugh:

What could I expect to pay for a new set of rotors. I have never replaced any before, Also If that is whats wrong what are some decent brands to look at?

probably THE most popular thread on brakes and is a nice upgrade from the stock stuff.... http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,91097.0.html

Back