• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Replaced O2 sensor, getting same codes. P0054 & P0141.

jwaked

Hello Guys, this thing is driving me nuts.  I had the Innova reader show the codes P0054 (HO2S heater Resistance  Bank 1, Sensor 2) and P0141 (O2 Heater Circuit Bank 1, Sensor 2) on my 05 1500 Avalanche.  I was told to replace the second 02 Sensor on the driver side.  Did it and cleared the code and made me very very happy. 2 weeks later came back on with the same codes. Can it be a bad AC Delco sensor or should I check something else? What did I do wrong? Please help. 

try moving to 02 sensor to the other side.  If the code comes back like normal you have more looking to do but if the code switches sides also, ya changed the wrong one.

there can be left bank / right bank confusion. sometimes it works

my 05 was running ruff in idle after 1000km drive ,so i changed the plugs (140$can)the drivers side plugs were all(4)black passenger side bank 2 clean
error code say running lean i rest Eng monitor and it still run ruff
bought Canadian tire engine code reader (120$can) same codes (3) PO131 and p0171 p0300 then i purchased 1 new sensor and sensor wrench (250$can)
NAPA Auto part say there 2 sensors Haaaa theirs 4 i seen 2 before converters and 2 after
so i changed drivers side closest to engine before cat converter-Bank 1 Sensor !

Note: i read instructions on sensor itself and i was careful not to drop it and damage ceramic inside.also i had to drop the drive shaft to get access to plug note 7/8" open end wrench worked better than the new O2 socket i bought

i reset codes and it running just fine NOW   Whew it Beer! time!

Running 2 weeks now and running smooth --whoohoo! thinking rent me a avalanch and switch out the last 3 hehe

I have an 05, 1500 Z71 4x4. Same codes came up about a week ago, P0054 & P0141.

I am going to check fuses 2 & 3 under hood, check connections and wires, then test the Resistance on Bank 1 Sensor 2. Is there any way to tell if there is any "Left Right" confusion to localize exactly which sensor is bad?

If it is the sensor do you guys have any advise on the procedure for replacing it? I saw one post talking about using a bat and lowering the truck to pop it out... Lets just say it sounded a little unconventional.

Thanks,

TuffysTruck said:
I have an 05, 1500 Z71 4x4. Same codes came up about a week ago, P0054 & P0141.

I am going to check fuses 2 & 3 under hood, check connections and wires, then test the Resistance on Bank 1 Sensor 2. Is there any way to tell if there is any "Left Right" confusion to localize exactly which sensor is bad?

If it is the sensor do you guys have any advise on the procedure for replacing it? I saw one post talking about using a bat and lowering the truck to pop it out... Lets just say it sounded a little unconventional.

Thanks,
That would make a great redneck You Tube.

I was lucky mine came out with ease. I did use PB blaster for a few days before I took them out. I purchased mine from the dealer somethings I only go OME.  They had the plugs on them. I cut the wires off the old so I could get a socket on them did not feel the sensor socket was a good hold. So a lot of penetrating oil to start I?ve read some do it for days. Some have used heat as well. Yes I have heard of new sensors being bad. Ohm then if you can. For me to save the hassle I change both sides. I do not want to do it all over again in a short time.
Now the bad news did my sons Aveo had to drop the header pip to get it out. It still puled the threads with it. Was lucky and a thread chaser cleaned it enough to get it the new one back in. If I have to do it again I will drop it and have a new bung welded on. Good luck. 

Thanks JVZL1!

I stopped by the Chevy Dealership today to clarify on bank and sensor locations.

FYI: Bank 1 is pre-cat, Bank 2 is post-cat. Sensor 1 is driver side, Sensor 2 is passenger side.

I've changed the O2 system 15A fuses, under hood #3 & #4, and will clear the codes tonight, I'll see if they come back next week after 100 mile cycle.

TuffysTruck said:
FYI: Bank 1 is pre-cat, Bank 2 is post-cat. Sensor 1 is driver side, Sensor 2 is passenger side.

You've posted bad info.  Bank 1 is driver side, Bank 2 passenger.  Sensor 1 pre-cat, sensor 2 post cat.  Basically you have "bank" and "sensor" switched...

:beating: sorry about that. I get it now.

The code didn't go away, and after taking a look at the sensors I found that on Bank 1 Sensor 1 (B1:S1) the cable had fallen loose of its harness so it was rubbing against the front drive shaft, chafed right through the insulation and the wires where rusting.

Replaced B1:S1, Cleared the codes and will see if it comes back tomorrow.

My only question is since I am getting codes for B1:S2 and B1:S1 was obviously compromised are they both bad, or was it sensor confusion?

Thanks,
Tuffy

I'd say the code for the rear sensor may be because of the wiring issue with the front sensor.

The front sensor drives fuel trims.  If it is not working properly the engine will most likely be driven as far lean or rich as the computer can adjust, which will affect what the rear sensor is seeing.

Now I'm even more confused.  :E:

I went to to Oreilly's and bought a Bosch O2 sensor part number 15284 as recommended by the staff there. I replaced B1:S1 and reset the codes. Now I'm getting codes for both the B1:S1 and B1:S2 sensors.

Best guess is they sold me the wrong part??? The sensor they sold me has the openings on the end of the cylindrical device that rests in the exhaust stream where as the one I took out had openings on all sides of the cylinder. is this the wrong sensor or can they be made with slight differences like this?

What are the part numbers for the OEM B1:S1 and B1:S2 sensors so I can make sure to buy the right ones from Rock Auto?

Thanks,

TuffysTruck said:
Now I'm even more confused.  :E:

I went to to Oreilly's and bought a Bosch O2 sensor part number 15284 as recommended by the staff there. I replaced B1:S1 and reset the codes. Now I'm getting codes for both the B1:S1 and B1:S2 sensors.

Best guess is they sold me the wrong part??? The sensor they sold me has the openings on the end of the cylindrical device that rests in the exhaust stream where as the one I took out had openings on all sides of the cylinder. is this the wrong sensor or can they be made with slight differences like this?

What are the part numbers for the OEM B1:S1 and B1:S2 sensors so I can make sure to buy the right ones from Rock Auto?

Thanks,

If you still think the problem lies with the O2 sensors..........

Wouldn't it be easier to visit Rock Auto, plug in your specific vehicle, then see what they are offering?

Looks like Bosch 15284 is an acceptable replacement for the upstream sensors. There are a number of models available ACDelco, Denso, Walker, Bosch, Delphi... Many are interchangeable so they can be used in the up or down stream locations.

If its not the sensor gone bad than what would be causing the P0141, P0054, ad now P0131 codes?

TuffysTruck said:
Looks like Bosch 15284 is an acceptable replacement for the upstream sensors. There are a number of models available ACDelco, Denso, Walker, Bosch, Delphi... Many are interchangeable so they can be used in the up or down stream locations.

If its not the sensor gone bad than what would be causing the P0141, P0054, ad now P0131 codes?

Well, here is where it gets tricky........

The only names on the list l would trust are Delco, Delphi, &  Denso.  Some 5.3 models respond to aftermarket sensors.  Some don't.  We can offer some moral support until the true culprit is isolated.

Keep looking & posting.  Eventually, the perfect set of eyes may come up for air.

Well I finished the KS replacement and went ahead and replaced all 4 O2 sensors. All codes stayed gone except P0054...

I used my BlueDriver reader to get the attached data for B1S2 fuel trim and O2 sensor data.

sxjc47.jpg

Got any recommendations on next steps... P0054 is the heater resistance circuit so I'm thinking I'll have to check the wires running from the PCM to that sensor for shorts or grounds, if nothing then check the PCM. Anybody got info on those checks?

Thanks,

I also ran a quick screen of both banks to compare O2 sensor outputs. If all is running well shouldn't the down stream sensors, both banks, be roughly the same voltage?

Bank1
2yy1jxc.png

Bank2
155qruq.png

Back