• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

WVWWW VII-Camping Trip...August 21st - 23rd

BigBlockBirch

SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
MzBBB and I are talking about going south for a camping trip and thought of all our friends down there.  We are looking in the Summersville area.

Guys,

Call the Campground (877-686-6222) and make your reservation ASAP so to get the one you need.  (Reference:AVALANCHE CLUB)

*******************************************************************************************
SIGNATURE BANNER:

Copy this into your signature section less the asterisks...

Code:
[center][url=http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,108492.0.html][IMG]http://www.networkhobbies.com/MyMisc/wwwwv.jpg[/IMG][/url][/center]

*******************************************************************************************

Saw this place

Mountain Lake Campground AND CABINS...

First off, has anyone been there before and if so, is it as nice as it looks??

Secondly, who would be interested. 

August 21st - 23rd

What do you guys think???   :love:

Maybe we can get RisingPhoenix to come... She is a  :laugh: when you get her around a campfire with some... HOT DAMN.

DETAILS:
WHEN:AUGUST 20th - 24TH
WHERE: Mountain Lake Campground AND CABINS...
WHY: To enjoy some great fun and WV Nature.
Note: The BBB's are planning on making it a long weekend from Thursday to Monday.  I have talked with the Owners and they have a new area opening in June (Area 4) that will offer 50amp service (ShapeShifter) and we could group together.  THERE ARE ONLY 4 CABINS AVAILABLE. They are in "walking" distance but are right on the lake.  They also offer a Pavillion that we can utilize (That worked good in Nov).

Here is the deal, we need to reserve the sites so that we are grouped together.  If not, we will be spread all over the campground.

*****************************************************************************************

Site #......Details.....Reserved

444.......(Tents).......MD2500AV
448.......25' (30A)......Open
449.......(Tents).........02 Z71
450.......55' (30A)......Open
451.......35' (30A)......Open
452.......55' (30A)......BBB
453.......30' (30A)......GBT & Toots
454.......55' (30A)......
455.......30' (30A)......Mrs. WVAV
457.......35' (30A)......Open
460.......40' (50A)......ShapeShifter
462.......40' (50A)....Open

Cabin
--Sleeps 4
--Full Facilities
--Bring own Towels

Golf Cart Rental
--$8.50 per hour
--$85.00 per day
--$100 refundable deposit if you don't hit a tree or lake...

Motorcycle Riding????
02Z71

Boating????
MD2500AV

Caverns
BigBlockBirch
ShapeShifter
MD2500AV

Snorkeling
BigBlockBirch

Please call (877-686-6222) and make your reservation ASAP so to get the one you need.  (Reference:AVALANCHE CLUB)

*****************************************************************************************

Attendees:
BBB/MzBBB +4 +2(Th - M)
WVAvalanche +2 (Th - M)
ShapeShifter +1 (Th - Sun)
4x4dreamer +2 (F - Sun)
02 Z71 +1
MD2500AV  (Th - Sun)
GBT & Toots  (F - Sun)
WiseAV +1

Maybe:

Moosc
MrsBubba
Mrshubcap

A Big NO: (n)
Hugz
Willyorca

Food and Stuff to Bring Thread

MOD REQUEST THREAD

THINGS TO DO:
Boat Rentals
SCUBA Diving
Snorkeling
Airplane Tours
Mountain Bike Riding
Caverns ( :cool:)
Horseback Riding
Hiking
Rock Climbing
Whitewater Rafting
Golf
Train Excursions

Now that sounds like a GTG that we should be able to attend. :woot: 

I have never been camping at Summersville but, know of alot of people who love going down there. One of the August weekends would probably be better for us. I'm sure we would have some of Taney's family join us. :love: I mentioned it to them today and his granddaughter was ready to go this weekend. lol

Let me know what I can do to help get this GTG going! (y)

Mrs WVAV

Never been there myself but the coaches at my school all go up there every weekend in summer.

One of them told me this is a very large and nice camp/recreation place.
The cabins are all right on the water edge (unusual for Summersville Lake) with plenty of amenities as the website displays.
The entire Summersville area is scenic with plenty to do. 

Are you bringing a boat?

sinjin said:
Are you bringing a boat?

BigBlock is a beast but not sure if she can tow an 11,000# TT and also a boat...  :laugh:

Maybe rentals are available...

MzBBB (aka TTT) is thinking a long weekend...Thursday to Monday  (y)

Looks like a nice place.

Put us down as a maybe on this one.

Once again, when the weather gets a little bit warmer I will put this down as a destination for a nice motorcycle riding adventure to check it out.

WOW!!!!!! This is literally 30min from my house. Might just stop by and say hi :wave:. This is a nice place. Ive been there.
                      4x4Jr aka. Ian

OK, I talked to them today...looks like the best weekends will be either...

August 14th - Family day and Gospel Singing at the Lake Weekend
or
August 21st - Mardi Gras Weekend​

Knowing most of you...I am thinking the latter one...now if RP comes and starts praising the Hot Damn then she will fit right in...

Now we will need to reserve what we want pretty early to get everyone together.

The cabins have all the amenities so no roughing it.  But there are only a couple

Let me know your thoughts so we can start reserving them.

Updated first post.

Now that the NC GTG is behind us, only in scheduling, let's plan our next big event.  There is tons to do here..and that is one reason why the BBB's are making it a long weekend.

Here is just a couple of the things that can be done...

First off, it is MARDI GRAS Weekend at the campground...'nuff said on that subject.

National & State Parks and Recreation Areas

* Gauley River National Recreation Area
    * New River Gorge National River
    * Carnifex Ferry Battlefield State Park
    * Hawks Nest State Park
    * Babcock State Park
    * Cranberry Wilderness
    * Midland Trail
    * Camp Washington Carver

Caverns & Caves

* Seneca Caverns
    * Organ Cave

ATV Trails

* Hatfield - McCoy Trails

Mountain Biking

* New River Bike -n- Touring Co.
    * Four Seasons Outfitters

Horseback Riding

* Canyon Rim Ranch
    * Good Evening Ranch
    * New River Ranch

Whitewater Rafting

* Appalachian Wildwaters
    * Class VI River Runners
    * North American River Runners
    * Songer Whitewater
    * ACE Adventure Center

Rock Climbing

* Hard Rock Climbing Services
    * New River Mountain Guides

Scuba Diving

* Sarge's Dive Shop

Golf Courses

* Bridgehaven Golf Club
    * Greenbrier
    * Beaver Creek Golf Club
    * Summersville
    * Cherry Hill

Boat Rentals

* Sarge's Dive Shop
    * Summersville Lake Retreat

Scenic Excursion Trains

1. Cass Scenic Railroad

2. New River Train Excursions

3. Potomac Eagle Train

Dining

1. Dirty Ernie's

2. Smokey's on the Gorge

3. Gumbo's Cajun Restaurant

4. Applebee's

5. Cathedral Cafe

Shopping

1. Cabela's

2. Tamarack

3. Waterstone Outdoors

4. Hardman's Hardware

5. Flatwoods Outlet Mall

Arts & Sciences

1. Theatre West Virginia

2. Historic Fayette Theatre

3. Youth Museum of Southern West Virginia

4. Carnegie Hall, Inc.

CABIN INFORMATION

EXTERIOR FEATURES

* The Only Cabin Camping on Summersville Lake (Just 50 Feet from the Water!)

* Wooded Lakeside Setting (With Outstanding Lake Views)

* Tie-up Area for Your Boat

* Front Deck

* Table & Chairs

INTERIOR FEATURES

* 2 Bedrooms

* Full Size Beds
      Including Linens (You need to bring towels!)

* Full Bathroom
      Including Bath Tub & Shower

* TV with VCR/DVD Combo Player
      Checkout Movies for FREE at the Gift Shop

I just saw this thread, thanks for the heads-up BBB!   :wave:

Sounds like a good time, at a nice place, with great people -- and best of all we actually have that weekend open! Put us down as attending this one.  (y)

BigBlockBirch said:
ATV Trails

* Hatfield - McCoy Trails

I've heard of these trails, and would love to be able to ride them. Sure wish I could bring the toys along... :cry:

I know! With the Av hooked to the back of the motorhome, I'll hook the ATV trailer to the back of the Av, and pull the whole thing like a freight train!
:laugh:     :drive:     :laugh:
It'll only be about 85 feet long overall... that won't raise the eyebrows of any LEOs I pass on the way, will it?  >:D

-- SS

PS: I've often toyed with the idea of hooking them all together, just to take some pictures in the driveway.  But it's too scary a thought to actually drive that way! :eek:

ShapeShifter said:
I just saw this thread, thanks for the heads-up BBB!   :wave:

Sounds like a good time, at a nice place, with great people -- and best of all we actually have that weekend open! Put us down as attending this one.  (y)

I've heard of these trails, and would love to be able to ride them. Sure wish I could bring the toys along... :cry:

I know! With the Av hooked to the back of the motorhome, I'll hook the ATV trailer to the back of the Av, and pull the whole thing like a freight train!
:laugh:     :drive:     :laugh:
It'll only be about 85 feet long overall... that won't raise the eyebrows of any LEOs I pass on the way, will it?  >:D

-- SS

PS: I've often toyed with the idea of hooking them all together, just to take some pictures in the driveway.  But it's too scary a thought to actually drive that way! :eek:

I have several friends that have taken their ATV's to the Hatfield - McCoy trails. The have had a blast. The trails are definitely not for the faint of heart. There are some relatively easy trails but most of them are considered to be "Advanced". If is has been raining, there are many puddles that you can literally float the ATV across.  :eek:

Post up if you want a reservation for a camp site or cabin.

There are only 4 cabins...

The sites will be together if we can reserve early enough...not to mention, it is their Mardi Gras weekend...we can have our own Bourbon Street...I want to get some beads...I will flash my manboobs...  :9:

BigBlockBirch said:

The sites will be together if we can reserve early enough...not to mention, it is their Mardi Gras weekend...we can have our own Bourbon Street...I want to get some beads...I will flash my manboobs...  :9:
I thought the goal was to get more people to attend not to scare them from coming!!!! :laugh: :kidding:

02 Z71 said:
The trails are definitely not for the faint of heart. There are some relatively easy trails but most of them are considered to be "Advanced".

Hmmm... then maybe I have to reconsider. We have about 15 miles of legal ATV trails a few miles from me, but I don't think they're really advanced enough to be considerd beginner trails.  :p It's all flat-land here, and most of the trails are along an old railroad bed or alongside farm fields. The most technical section goes through some woods, and it has a couple hills on it, the biggest one is almost 8 feet tall!  :rolleyes:

The section through the woods gets a lot of snow in the winter, and takes a long time to drain and dry out in the spring. This is what it looked like last spring:
IMAGE_013.jpg

That's not me, but when I did ride that section, I ended up burying it in the mud just around the bend off the left side of the picture, where the water was deep enough you couldn't see any of the mud. The ruts were deep and invisible, and once you got in one it was like following railroad tracks -- there was no way to get out of them. It took me about 20 minutes to winch myself out of it, then took about 2 hours with the pressure washer to clean up!

Maybe I have to broaden my horizons and build my skills before tackling an advanced trail.  :E:

-- SS

BigBlockBirch said:

Camp site, please!  :wave:

BigBlockBirch said:
I will flash my manboobs...   :9:

Umm... err... maybe I don't want to attend, after all!  :-X :D:

-- SS

I would be camping.  (y)

BigBlockBirch said:

:woohoo:

Seeing as how I live 30min away :D, I will be coming over GOD WILLING AND IF I'M HERE. However, I wont be staying overnight. Id love to participate in all the other events though :cool:

Hi - we're new to the CAFNA.

This sounds like fun - always looking for a new place to travel.  This would be the first time that we would actualy take our truck - we have a class A rv and most of the time tow a car.  We would need to check into towing a lifted truck or just drive both.  Will need to check with the other half before I commit to anything, lol.

Anyhow look forward to meeting up with everyone.

Hello and welcome to CAFCNA ccracing! :welcome: I hope you find you like it around here as much as the rest of us do!

We would love to have you join us and really hope you can make it!!! (y)

ccracing84 said:
Hi - we're new to the CAFNA.

This sounds like fun - always looking for a new place to travel.  This would be the first time that we would actualy take our truck - we have a class A rv and most of the time tow a car.  We would need to check into towing a lifted truck or just drive both.  Will need to check with the other half before I commit to anything, lol.

Anyhow look forward to meeting up with everyone.

ccracing....run, run as fast as you can the other way.  We were all newbies at one time and now we are obsessed.    :laugh:

Seriously, welcome aboard and hope to meet you guys.  You have one of two of the Best Coordinator in the area, Hugz.  Not to mention the NC crew.

It would be great for you to caravan with them up here...NC crew (hint, hint)

BigBlockBirch said:
ccracing....run, run as fast as you can the other way.  We were all newbies at one time and now we are obsessed.     :laugh:

Seriously, welcome aboard and hope to meet you guys.  You have one of two of the Best Coordinator in the area, Hugz.  Not to mention the NC crew.

It would be great for you to caravan with them up here...NC crew (hint, hint)
I'll get to work on that!  (y)

ccracing84 said:
This would be the first time that we would actualy take our truck - we have a class A rv and most of the time tow a car.  We would need to check into towing a lifted truck or just drive both.

:welcome:

I also will be coming in a class A, and will be towing the Av four-down behind it. It can be done, and I wouldn't think the lift would change things much. Mostly, It might require you to get a drop receiver for your motorhome hitch and flip it around so it raises the tow bar to be level. Of course, if you use a trailer, then it won't matter at all whether the truck is lifted or not.

If you want details on how I do it, click here. If you are already pulling a toad, you may be able to reuse some of the equipment like the tow bar, safety cables, etc. If you're using a brake-in-the-box like a BrakeBuddy, you might be able to reuse that, as well. The big concern is the weight of the Av, and whether your current tow equipment has a high enough rating, and whether your motorhome has enough towing capacity. I figure the Av weighs close to 6,000 pounds, my tow bar and motorhome tow rating is 10,000 pounds, and the safety cables are rated for 8,000 pounds, so I'm well within safe margins. But if you have a lower capacity tow bar because you are currently pulling a light car, you might have an issue.

Also, you need to have 4x4 to be able to pull it, 2WD models cannot be towed. But if your truck is lifted, you're probably 4x4 so you should be set.

Good luck, I hope you can make it, one way or another. :wave:

-- SS

Back