• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2007 Up Highway mileage

MS03 2500

PM 2017
PM 2015
SM 2014
PM 2013
PM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
On a recent trip from North Carolina back to Michigan in a buddys 07 AV, I had a oppurtunity to test a idea I had.
I asked him to put the AV in Tow/haul mode and he also turned off the Stability system and the mileage shot up.

He was average quite a bit over 20 MPG through the hills of West Virginia and it stopped wandering for the right gear.

I'm just putting this out there for you folks to try and of course did not turn off the Stability system if there is bad weather around.

That should be tried with one or the other shut off, but not both at the same time, to see which is responsible for what, and of course in similar situations - ie make the same trip several days in a row, with similar loads in the vehicle and similar weather

I think it was the Tow/haul mode, it seemed to stay in 4 cyl more and stay in high gear.
We had 2 07's and they both responded the same. The one I was in had the GT3 (3.42) rear axle.

when I got to Cleveland I was up around 20 MPG (75 MPH).... never even been close to that .... with the head wind, by the time I got home I was at 18 MPG .... still much higher than I've been ... when we were driving slow 65-70 (sorry GBT and Ohiobellboy), I was getting 23.5 mpg in NC/VA ....

I drove it to/from work yesterday ... started at 11.2 mpg .... after 100 mile round trip I was up to 14.9 and still rising ..... and that was with TC off ....

I'm gonna have to reset the and try it all 4 ways ....

TC on and Tow haul off ... way to work this morning 16.1 .cruise @75 mph... little wind 22 degrees .... 3/13/2009
TC off and Tow haul off ...way home yesterday ... 16.8 mpg cruise @ 75 little bit of a head wind 40 degrees 3/13/2009
TC off and Tow haul on
Tc On and Tow haul on ....

My Av's tune has AFM tweeked to engage earlier, and stay engaged longer, so that has helped me, but I've never tried turning off Stabilitrak - makes sense. I'll have to try it out. T/H mode hasn't seemed to help me, but I'm attributing that to my tune. I rarely hunt for the right gear, and almost never drop when even on a steep incline.

I agree. Turning on Tow mode changes the DOD map a bit. My 07 LTZ  5.3 with 3.73 gears usually gets 19- 19.5 mpg with an average speed of between 70 and 75mph.  This is long drives on the highway with minimal stop and go. Just today i drove 300+ miles and used the tow mode at times. What i found was TH mode only really makes a difference at speeds less than 65mph. From 40-60mph and with tow mode on, i can stay in V4 with more throttle application before kicking into V8. I've seen MPG drop down to 13mpg in V4 at times before kicking into V8 and going right to 10mpg. I also think I can do better MPG wise with cruise control off by the way. Lastly, double check your fuel mileage against GPS readings and the old fashioned 'see how much fuel you put back in the tank. Tonight my Avy read 17.9 MPG on the trip computer. Using GPS'd mileage, refilling and calculating via calculator, I'm actually getting 20.4 mpg running 71-74 mph on average. The trip computer is waaaay off. FWIW, I was paying close attention to the instant mileage function and being gentle with the throttle.

That's what I thought also, I saw it happen and wondered it anyone else wanted to try it.

At one point with the 3.42 gears we were above 23 MPG

390 mile round trip, no cruise control, everything as is when cranked, running between 80-90 the entire trip = 16.5mph..  :B:

bandt0913 said:
390 mile round trip, no cruise control, everything as is when cranked, running between 80-90 the entire trip = 16.5mph..  :B:

That was pretty smart to do. (n)

bandt0913 said:
had things to do at work and at the home front.. not a lot I could have done..  :rolleyes:

We all do somethings not legal but you endanger other people on the road, then you post it.  :E:

nobody was hurt..  :rolleyes:

I could hurt someone donig the speed limit just as easily as I could what I did today. It was just a comment since this post is about highway mileage.. nevermind that I posted.. geesh..

Yes I understand I have made a trip of 243 miles in 3 hours with a police officer following me for 50 miles. But I did not post it.

Opps maybe I just did :E: :E:

The mileage #s look right...with the 07 AV LT1 4X4 5.3 I average about 18.5 on the Highway at 70-75,  that is with 4.10s. The tow haul mode seems to kick it in 4 cylinder mode more often (13.5 in town Winter, 11.5 Summer with A/C on...will play with it one at a time and see what happens.

MichiganSilver03 said:
On a recent trip from North Carolina back to Michigan in a buddys 07 AV, I had a oppurtunity to test a idea I had.
I asked him to put the AV in Tow/haul mode and he also turned off the Stability system and the mileage shot up.

He was average quite a bit over 20 MPG through the hills of West Virginia and it stopped wandering for the right gear.

I'm just putting this out there for you folks to try and of course did not turn off the Stability system if there is bad weather around.

I averaged 17.4 on this same trip. but did not turn on/off anything. Just as is.

Thanks for the heads up on this Byron.  My '07 averages 13.4 mgp, mostly highway between the house and the airport.  I have the 5.3L with 3.42 gears.  I have always attributed the lower mileage to the 305/22's I am running.  I will try it and see if I gain anything.

Silverbudman mileage was over 20.  I doubt it would do any good city driving.

I never have used tow thing on the Pearl. That stable thing off too I think but I according to the dic no matter what get 12.9 mpg. I am sure that is not reading right really because I have run heavy, slow, in town on highway etc. 12.9 no matter how I drive or if I burn E85 or regular.

Aussie Red said:
I never have used tow thing on the Pearl. That stable thing off too I think but I according to the dic no matter what get 12.9 mpg. I am sure that is not reading right really because I have run heavy, slow, in town on highway etc. 12.9 no matter how I drive or if I burn E85 or regular.
Aussie, do you zero it out at each fill up? If not you are getting the total average MPG reading.

MooseAlanche said:
Aussie, do you zero it out at each fill up? If not you are getting the total average MPG reading.

Hey darn it you must know by now I am blonde  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I do not touch buttons in there seriously. Never changed anything since I got him new. I am serious. I read the manual and man it is greek. I am a show me type really. The Pearl came with three Bible sized manuals and when some one points something out here and tells me how I do it otherwise I have never used anything in him. I just found out what that car with the squiggley line button was  :laugh: :laugh: now what it does or does not do is still up in the air but at least I know when it is on I am not hurting the truck. Last one I had really did not have all this stuff. I guess I had a generic AV.  :laugh: :laugh:
So how and where do I reset it ? There are 8 buttons 4 dash related on him. Cripes I still do not have the trip meter handles too many things come up on all this.
Now mainly why I am afraid to touch anything is because I had him in auto and got told bad for truck. That squiggly thing I believe traction I was told would mess him up if it was touched while moving so I have it blocked, meaning I keep something in front of it so I do not accidentally touch it. The thing on the gear shift I have never used either because I was told not to. I had a guy come out and go over all this stuff when I bought the Pearl and have wondered why in the heck they put stuff on that could mess it up. But that was how I was taught by the guy from the dealer and was told to always be in park to use them and never use unless towing heavy stuff and I do not so I just have them blocked.

Back