• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Front end shaking when I hit a bump in the road...

stblindtiger

Whenever i hit a bump in the road, my steering wheel and whole truck shakes! I have to slow down, and straighten out the wheel to get it to stop. What could be causing this? Any ideas?

first thing I would do is to check your lug nuts , I would take it in to get checked out or better yet have it towed in you wouldn't want the front end to fall out while  you were driving it. could be a number of things , ball joint , tie rod,

Start by telling us what year and model you have.

It's not really something that a person can diagnose over the internet.

But the first place I would look at is the wheel bearings.

Then I would go to the upper and lower ball joints.

Then I would check both the tie rod ends and the center link.

I would check the shock mounts and the sway bar mounts, but I am not sure that it would only cause a problem when you hit a bump.

It could be that the shocks are worn out and leaking.

It could be that there is a tire out of balance or that there are broke belts in one or more of the tires.

I have to agree with everyone on here when they said that you should stop driving it and take it to a garage as soon as possible.

My dad had a pontiac wagon that would do that. If you touch the brakes, the shimmy stops. I think it was a bad tie rod end.  In any case, I agree I would have it towed into the shop. A college buddy of mine had a tie rod let go on his old chevelle. Luckily he was going real slow as he lost ALL steering control.

Check ur shocks,a arms,upper lower ball joints, u joints, wheel bearing also called a hub assembly

Look at entire suspension system....

could be anything...

I had an Explorer that did this immediately after getting new shocks in the front.

I brought it back the next day and they did something that stopped it, but not sure what it was (sorry).

It was VERY alarming when it happened.  It was hit a bump, then steering wheel would shake violently and keep doing it until you slowed down.

My tires were wearing very unevenly and mine would do this too. Since I got new tires, no more shaking. Liek stated above, though, could be any number of things.

When it did it on my Explorer, it definitely did not feel like a tire out of balance.

It was more like (if you can imagine this) like when you get a bad shopping cart with one wheel that wobbles.

I feel your pain man.

Of course this was at the height of the "Explorer rolling over" problems and I called Ford directly and they were all over it like a fat kid on a frosted cupcake.

TIETANIC said:
I had an Explorer that did this immediately after getting new shocks in the front.

I brought it back the next day and they did something that stopped it, but not sure what it was (sorry).

It was VERY alarming when it happened.  It was hit a bump, then steering wheel would shake violently and keep doing it until you slowed down.

Maybe they forgot to actually tighten the shock mounts :)

Thanks for the replies.... I am a teacher at a school and I took it into the auto shop here for the teacher and the kids to look at on Friday. He couldn't find anything at first, but then he said he found some play in the drag link in the upper suspension. He didn't feel comfortable doing the work, and to tell you the truth, I didn't either, so I brought it into the shop I usually go to by my house. They just called me, and they said he felt a little play in the center link but nothing he wouldn't fail in an inspection. He honestly did not seem confident that he knew what was wrong with it, and he said he could either replace the tie rods, or send it over to their suspension place. I told him to send it over to who ever they out source for suspension work.

It is a 2002 Chevy Avalanche Z71 package with 4 wheel drive. The front end shakes at low speed, but nothing like what it does around 55 mph or above. It has 100,000 miles on it. I drive on the highway to work, so I regularly go above 55. I just don't want the steering to fall apart when I'm going 50 or above and die so I want to make sure this gets fixed!!!!

You did the right thing ya don't want a tie rod breaking that will cause a exciting ride you don't want to be on. (y)

Ball joint failure is also very fun while driving :damon:

Any slop in the steering or suspension will make for an unpleasant feel while driving/turning/stopping.

stblindtiger said:
How did you know I lived in PA?????

It's called a joke.  He lives in PA and thus was commenting about the conditions of the roads, answering trAVElingman's quote about not hitting bumps - it being impossible in PA since there are no places on the road that aren't a bump.

Well the mechanic I took it to said that he wouldn't fail it, but he didn't seem too sure what was causing the problem. He said it was a normal "Chevy shake".... That's not good enough for me though. The suspension place they sent it to adjusted the alignment, and adjusted the camber/caster and toe. Centered the steering, and adjusted the steering box. They also said the shocks were weak.

Could the shocks cause this much vibration?

What they did improved the problem, but it is still there. He felt the movement in the upper drag link, but said it wasn't that big of a deal, yet the problem is still there? If the shocks were weak, would it cause the truck to feel like it would bounce off the road if you didn't slow down?

It's not like I don't trust this mechanic, I mean all they charged me was $130 bucks, and didn't try to replace parts they weren't sure were causing the problem. Which I REALLY like! I just don't know what is going on with it????

MichiganSilver03 said:
You did the right thing ya don't want a tie rod breaking that will cause a exciting ride you don't want to be on. (y)

X2 (y) Let us know what the shop says.

stblindtiger said:
Well the mechanic I took it to said that he wouldn't fail it, but he didn't seem too sure what was causing the problem. He said it was a normal "Chevy shake".... That's not good enough for me though. The suspension place they sent it to adjusted the alignment, and adjusted the camber/caster and toe. Centered the steering, and adjusted the steering box. They also said the shocks were weak.

Could the shocks cause this much vibration?

What they did improved the problem, but it is still there. He felt the movement in the upper drag link, but said it wasn't that big of a deal, yet the problem is still there? If the shocks were weak, would it cause the truck to feel like it would bounce off the road if you didn't slow down?

What kind of shape are the tires in?

stblindtiger said:
the tires aren't even a year old and they are in very good shape....

Maybe take it back where you bought the tires and ask them to check the balanace. Possible the weights fell off. I had this happen on an older car and it produced a shimmy at higher speeds.

Back