• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Best Programmer?

kmoney

What's the Best Computer Programmer to buy?  I have an 07 with the 5.3 and I want to easily tune it for more HP and maybe better MPG.  Thoughts?

This thread is going to open up a huge debate! I would do a search for programers and custom tunes on here and make your own decision based off what you read! Cuz its going to boil down to opinions are like _ _ _ holes everyone has one!

kmoney said:
What's the Best Computer Programmer to buy?  I have an 07 with the 5.3 and I want to easily tune it for more HP and maybe better MPG.  Thoughts?

If you want a handheld, most probably Predator. But unless you want to invest in HPTuners and DIY, I agree your best bet is a good custom tuner.

There is no comparison between a can tune and a dyno tune.  Finish what modding you think you will do and go get it dyno tuned. 

Prime Power said:
There is no comparison between a can tune and a dyno tune. 

Yeah, but there's also the custom tune as the 80/20 solution.

I've had the hypertech, jb and bullydog tune.  The bullydog tune was the best before my dyno, but it's wasn't 80/20, maybe 50 at best.  Jim at swtuning.com has it buttery smooth. 

if you dont want to get a dyno tune i say go with superchips flashpaq i have one on my 07 Z71 4x4 and it is amazing. raced an 07 av 2wd with a CAI and exhaust and i smoked it. i myself also have a CAI and exhaust but i also have 4x4 and 35" tires with 20"s....

I have the Predator, and it gained me 35HP and 30 ft/lbs of torque to the wheel. It also gained me 2mpg in overall mileage.
I can put it back to stock on the fly, which is something you can't do with a custom tune, unless you buy out your core PCM. I can also tweak the tune whenever I want, and log the results, without having to swap PCM's out, making it the best solution for my needs.

Just my $.02

I just got a edge programmer for $400 for my 08 LT2 5.3 and it works great. Ive only been able to run it on regular gas onthe economy program (plus or supreme is needed for most of the power programs) but the shifts are soooo much smoother and precise. i can climb up a hill with ease now. but i have an intake and exhaust so i would recommend that first if not already done  (y)

Also, i just logged an 8.1 second 0-60 run...which is not too bad (under the economy tune)

MightyMouse said:
I have the Predator, and it gained me 35HP and 30 ft/lbs of torque to the wheel. It also gained me 2mpg in overall mileage.
I can put it back to stock on the fly, which is something you can't do with a custom tune, unless you buy out your core PCM. I can also tweak the tune whenever I want, and log the results, without having to swap PCM's out, making it the best solution for my needs.

Just my $.02

what set up are you running?? 87 octane or greater??

I'm running 87 octane. The cost of 93 outweighs the benefit for me, but in some cases, it turns out to be better. Run them both for at least a couple tanks, making sure to get your LTFT between 0 & -2. Once you get there, then you're as good as the tune can get, meaning you can chart your mpg with realistic expectations.

I was gonna yell at you for saying you got 35/30 out of the Predator until I noticed you have a DiabLEW tune.  I'll believe ya there.

On the other hand, I personally won't recommend the Predator unless it is indeed for the sake of getting a DiabLEW tune. 

Beside the fact that my Predator pretty much only works when it wants to at this point, they've been lying out of their ass about TCM support for years now, and even if it does come, my Predator probably won't take it because it's "outdated" (within its own model number mind you...).

At the point in which they released a new tune for the U7194, my Predator was only 2 months out of warranty (mind you, they're the ones who "broke" it by releasing a tune for the U7194 that my U7194 won't take because it's "old.  Also mind you... it's not even 3 years old yet, and won't be until the end of the year).  Yet, despite that, they want $100 to upgrade my U7194 to... a U7194!... except it can take the updates mine can't.  That, is bullpoop...

At this point I'm waiting for our weather to stabilize so I can get a good log at my area's median temperature, getting a DiabLEW tune, and after that I'm pretty much done with them.  The minute my truck exits its warranty period, I'm getting rid of the thing (gotta keep it around to be able to restore the stock tune).  If it weren't for Lew, I wholely and entirely wouldn't recommend the thing.  At least not until they've released the very last update for the particular model number in question, otherwise you run the risk of getting screwed.

With that said, as unfortunate as it is, the Predator is probably the best handheld tuner.  Take that information and decide whether the risk of getting screwed makes it worth it or not.

If you're not interested in getting all that technical with things though, I hear good things about the Edge Evolution.  It would also be better if you're trying to "show off" as its monitoring unit attaches cleanly to the dash.

A true dyno tune is the best way to go. If not you can pick up a programmer on line for cheap. The Hypertech are the most reliable. I am happy with mine but cost out the dyno tune first.

Avalon

Poetique said:
I was gonna yell at you for saying you got 35/30 out of the Predator until I noticed you have a DiabLEW tune. 

Well, the numbers came about before Lew ever helped me out. I had it dyno'd from a CMR tuner to get the most out of the Predator. Lew's tune has probably given me better numbers than that, but I haven't bothered to get it dyno'd again.

Again it is going to boil down to what you want.
I have had the Hypertech for over 1 year. I have ran every setting available one it. I even went back to stock,(dam did that open my eyes). I am now running the 87 octane with 3-3-2 shift points. I have found this to work best for my driving styles. It is nice when you can climb up over Donner's pass and the engine never goes above 2800RPM. I like being able to play around with mine and change it at will. Like when i get my lift and tires I can change all that on my own.

So again get what you like.

MightyMouse said:
Well, the numbers came about before Lew ever helped me out. I had it dyno'd from a CMR tuner to get the most out of the Predator. Lew's tune has probably given me better numbers than that, but I haven't bothered to get it dyno'd again.

Ahhh, a Dyno tune... that'll work too.  I just know it wasn't from a canned tune lol.

I know this thread is old, but I thought the discussion here would warrant a half decent place to ask.... but are there such things are people out there(specifically Avy owners) who are/would be willing to send their tuner to someone for a small fee/deposit so they can get the benefits of it then the person send it back when done?

I know nowadays, everyone is trying to scam everyone else, but I didn't know if people around here did that kind of "loaner system".  Just a thought

jgruberman said:
I know this thread is old, but I thought the discussion here would warrant a half decent place to ask.... but are there such things are people out there(specifically Avy owners) who are/would be willing to send their tuner to someone for a small fee/deposit so they can get the benefits of it then the person send it back when done?

I know nowadays, everyone is trying to scam everyone else, but I didn't know if people around here did that kind of "loaner system".  Just a thought

can't do that.. when you use a programmer on a vehicle, the programmer gets locked/married to that vehicle... you can only tune one vehicle at a time with them...

07HrlyHlr said:
This thread is going to open up a huge debate! I would do a search for programers and custom tunes on here and make your own decision based off what you read! Cuz its going to boil down to opinions are like _ _ _ holes everyone has one!

I cannot agree more.  This topic come down to a matter of needs, wants, tech ability and the depth of one's pockets.

Back