• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Well, bought some exhaust today on a whim!! PICS

Badge767

SM 2010
SM 2009
38? 9'19.26"N *85?35'28.73"W *(Derby City!)
I should probably smack my brother in law.  :rolleyes:

I go over to his place this morning to show him my new 20s (from this thread: CLICKY)

He proceeds to show me the new duals he had installed on his Silverado this morning.

Starts it up, NICE low rumble!  :D

Talked about what a good job the shop did, and the price was right ($279 for everything).

OK...damnit, let's give them a call!

An hour and a half later, I've got a new Flowmaster with dual stainless tips exiting at the original location.

Looks pretty sweet, and sounds even better!  (y)

232323232%7Ffp432%3C9%3Enu%3D3235%3E742%3E9%3C2%3EWSNRCG%3D3233854%3A4%3A38%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp432%3C%3A%3Enu%3D3235%3E742%3E9%3C2%3EWSNRCG%3D3233854%3A4%3A393nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp432%3B%3A%3Enu%3D3235%3E742%3E9%3C2%3EWSNRCG%3D3233854%3A4%3A395nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp432%3C%3A%3Enu%3D3235%3E742%3E9%3C2%3EWSNRCG%3D3233854%3A52558nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp432%3A%3A%3Enu%3D3235%3E742%3E9%3C2%3EWSNRCG%3D3233854%3A4%3A39%3Anu0mrj

My wife has been at work all day today....can't wait to see if she even notices!  :rolleyes:

Nice, great price.  (y)

ekgguy said:
Looks great!  (y)

How does it sound?

Which flowmaster did you use?

Thanks!

It sounds really good. Not too tinny, definately not obnoxious.

But, when you're taking off from a light, even with a mild foot, it sounds "beefy"! (That's the best way I can describe it.)

After reaching cruising speed, the tone is mellow, and not overpowering in the cab.

It's a Flowmaster 30 Single In/Dual Out

AVnFun said:
Dang money bags, whoo hoo!!! (y)

LOL...yeah, this is actually some of my Uncle Sam Refund money!  (y)

I put part of it away in savings, donated part to the summer vacation fund, and figured I could either squander the rest of it, or actually make some purchases that I'd have something to show for! (That being tires and exhaust!)

I call it my "Avalanche Stimulus Fund"!  :cool:

Looks Clean.  (y)

How is the curb clearance and where is the tube video??

Looks great! That's what I have planned for mine: 2 pipes - one side. I don't know if I could get it for $279 - That's a good deal you got. Thanks for the pictures too  (y)

Z66Modder said:
Looks Clean.  (y)

How is the curb clearance and where is the tube video??

The curb clearance is pretty much unchanged from OEM.

Basically, the front pipe of those two is about where the single factory pipe exited, in height, to-end-of-tip, and from front to rear.

If anything, I suppose my rear angle of attack suffered a little bit from the rear pipe.

Looks great! A little different than what I usually see. I like it! 

AVortec said:
Looks great! That's what I have planned for mine: 2 pipes - one side. I don't know if I could get it for $279 - That's a good deal you got. Thanks for the pictures too  (y)

My original intention was to exit with duals straight out the back.

After getting it to the exhaust shop, and putting it up on the rack, the tech had some reservations regarding clearances around brake lines, and the placement of the spare.

That's when I asked him about the possibility of running duals-out-side.

Now I'm kind of glad I couldn't run straight out the back (although I still like that look).

This is a little different (which I like  (y)), and it will lend itself to trailering.

Thanks for the comments!

The welds look "sugared" from the heat input. Maybe take a stainless steel tip brush and work it around the welds to bring some of the silver back and generally clean it up. It will be easier now to brush it out, than if you try later down the road. 

Z66Modder said:
The welds look "sugared" from the heat input. Maybe take a stainless steel tip brush and work it around the welds to bring some of the silver back and generally clean it up. It will be easier now to brush it out, than if you try later down the road. 

Yeah, I took those photos as soon as I got home.

I hit them with a Dremel and a wire wheel yesterday evening, then shot some gray Rust Oleum around the weld points. The color blended right in with the pipes. (I did this where the brackets were tacked on also.)

Badge767 said:
Yeah, I took those photos as soon as I got home.

I hit them with a Dremel and a wire wheel yesterday evening, then shot some gray Rust Oleum around the weld points. The color blended right in with the pipes. (I did this where the brackets were tacked on also.)

Was it welded with SS wire? You don't need any primer if 308L or 309L wire was used. Should sine up as well as the original pipe with enough work.

Z66Modder said:
Was it welded with SS wire? You don't need any primer if 308L or 309L wire was used. Should sine up as well as the original pipe with enough work.

I didn't ask what wire was used, I assumed it was SS.

But, I don't think the bracket hangers are SS (they may be), so I wanted to hit them with the Rust Oleum anyway, just in case.

I'll be sure to ask what type of wire they're using on the SS stuff, because I will likely be back in that shop this next week anyway. As soon as my wife saw (and heard) my setup, she says, "I want my Expedition to sound like that!"  (y)

...and the guys at work thought I'd be in the doghouse for putting exhaust on my sled!  :rolleyes:

Badge767 said:
I didn't ask what wire was used, I assumed it was SS.

But, I don't think the bracket hangers are SS (they may be), so I wanted to hit them with the Rust Oleum anyway, just in case.

I'll be sure to ask what type of wire they're using on the SS stuff, because I will likely be back in that shop this next week anyway. As soon as my wife saw (and heard) my setup, she says, "I want my Expedition to sound like that!"  (y)

...and the guys at work thought I'd be in the doghouse for putting exhaust on my sled!  :rolleyes:

My jaw just hit the floor!!  :eek:

I can't believe she said that, Lucky You!  (y)

Which shop did you use? I've been thinking about getting a new exhaust, and didn't know where I should go here in The Ville. Also, did you do cat back or just replace oem muffler with the Flowmaster?

Badge767 said:
... As soon as my wife saw (and heard) my setup, she says, "I want my Expedition to sound like that!"  (y)

NapDy1.jpg

Boarder3304 said:
Which shop did you use? I've been thinking about getting a new exhaust, and didn't know where I should go here in The Ville. Also, did you do cat back or just replace oem muffler with the Flowmaster?

Just replaced factory can with Flowmaster, new SS pipes from there back to the dual tips.

I went to GAP Exhaust Warehouse on Poplar Level near Indian Trail.

Nice folks, family-run business, same location for 35+ years.
(y)

I like the two on the side look. (y) What size pipe did you go with out of the muffler??

That does look sweet Badge, I had one of the mufflers go bad on mine last week also & had to get new.

Also went w/ the flows, But did go right out the back. This is a true dual system. I love the new tips they look way better than the one's I had on there. (sorry no old pics)
040.jpg

036.jpg

034.jpg

033.jpg

:jacked:

What's ya got hanging next to the tips desirehrdwd , reverse lights?

Back