• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Engine Block Heater

CLowery

Hey there...

I have a 2004 'Lanche....and will be moving to Montana and wanted to install an Engine Block Heater in my truck...
A couple of things:

1.  Has anyone done this?  If so, where did you purchase it and what Part #?

2.  Is it hard to install?  How?

Thanks

Craig

Oh yeah some members have, do a search "engine block heater" and you will see the problems with it.

I installed mine back in 2003 on my 02 AV Z71.

That part number I used back then was 12490425 and its on my instruction sheet.

Very easy to install. Just drain all the coolant, remove engine plug, then install the block heater in the spot where the plug was removed. Fill the system, and check for leaks.  I had to purchase a 17mm Allen Wrench to remove the factory engine plug.

post-5-1060717748.jpg

post-5-1060717849.jpg

I did it, the two worst problems I had were:

1. Finding a 17mm allen wrench ANYWHERE.  Finally found one at sears.  It was like $15 for all of the one time I would ever use it.

2.  Getting the bolt that the allen wrench fits into off.  I admit I can bench press 270 lbs, but there was no way I was ever going to get that stupid thing off.  Finally (and I would reccomend this HIGHLY) I brought it to a Firestone up the street, asked the guy to break it loose but leave it on, and I threw him a $20 and was on my way.  Once this is out of the way, the whole install is cake.

I got the factory block heater ($35).  I read that there was a revision to certain ones where they will have a thermo-switch on the plug (looks like a blister) which renders it useless until the temperature drops below 0F.  I ordered the factory one for mine, and it does not have this (thankfully) so it will work anytime it is plugged in.  However, that said, there is a rationality check done by the ECM to the coolant sensor at startup, and if it is not below 20F and you are using it, you might get the check engine light. 

I think I need one. Sunday it was -20 F and when I started it, she left a puddle of oil on the ground  :eek: I guess the oil filter gasket shrunk and couldn't hold the cold start pressure  :D

Was no problem at all.  The tough part was getting an allen wrench that fit in the plug.  Of course, putting the block heater in a crate motor BEFORE I installed it made the whole thing a LOT easier...

Back