• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Mods killing my mileage

gishowboy

I recently installed a cold air intake, magnaflow muffler with dual exits, ram air hood from www.keystonerestyling.com and superchip 2815 '87 octane' tune.  after doing all this, my message center shows that my mileage is alot less than what it used to be when I had the 22's on last summer.  Anybody else experience any thing like this?

My mods kill mpg..Dual batteries, Bedslide, Snugtop, TXavy bars, Sub box and speakers. They all add weight  :E:

no one said  these mods would improve mpg...

best way to improve mpg is change driving style

I have done the sir intake, exhaust, supercharger, rockers, ram air hood, run 20's and 22's... and through all of this and more my mileage has changed very little. I reset the trip odmeter at every fill so have a LONG track record. While performance improved, gas consumption did not go up or down any great amount. However, I now have to burn 91 octane which hurts the cost of filling, but oh well  :cool:

i know mods add weight and all, but it shouldn't be enough to drop 2-4mpg on the highway.  i do mostly street driving so i'm still waiting to see what my current highway range is.  but i wanted to see if it's my driving or is my computer tripping with the few things i did.  i also wanted to know if by adding more air if thats causing a problem.  one thing i do plan on doing is cleaning the maf again to see if anything changes

did you disconnect your battery for 30 minutes to an hour after adding the CAI? Somewhere I read that will help the mpg. I'm not a believer in everything I read, but anything is worth a shot.

You might also want to try a higher octane tune and see if that helps.

no i didn't try that and i'm still on the 87 octane tune but switch to 93 octane.  so i'm gonna see what that does then prolly switch to the performance tune and see what it does

Remove tune... and see what happens...

Bet tune is at fault...

i think i found the problem.  cleaned the maf sensor again(oiled air filter few weeks ago), cleaned throttle body opening and i'm getting 20-22mpg at 65mph with the induction hood, 87octane tune, 93 octane gas, 22's, and light bar.  i guess thats about normal.

gishowboy said:
i think i found the problem.  cleaned the maf sensor again(oiled air filter few weeks ago), cleaned throttle body opening and i'm getting 20-22mpg at 65mph with the induction hood, 87octane tune, 93 octane gas, 22's, and light bar.  i guess thats about normal.

I would certainly be careful with the 87 octane tune and running 93 octane fuel. That could cause some serious engine damage as 93 octane fuel burns hotter so the valve timing will be off. :eek:

Back