• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Removing the midgate question??

Cover over hinges just pops off, grab at bottom and pull.
Four bolts under it, two per hinge.
Leave crossbar in place, when removing, bolt holes have some play in them, mark where they go before loosening, so replacement will be easier.

msdinsp said:
Leave crossbar in place, when removing, bolt holes have some play in them, mark where they go before loosening, so replacement will be easier.

Thank you for that answer. I'm sticking this at the top because it's a direct queation and a very simple direct answer. Thanks again. (y)

msdinsp said:
Thanks alot..Msdinsp..Planning on a nice install in the upcoming weeks..pics to come later

Just a tip for anyone removing the midgate.  If you plan to reinstall it at anytime you can do what alot of autobody people do.  Take a 1/8" drill bit before loosening any bolts and drill threw the bracket and into the midgate a bit.  Do this on both sides.  Now you can remove the midgate.
When you go to reinstall it just install the bolts loosely and using 2 1/8" drillbits insert them into the holes and line them up.  Now they will hold the midgate in the right place while you tighten everything up.  Once tight remove the drillbits.
Works like a charm.  I have had mine in and out atleast 5 times.

I am a contractor and planned on removing the mid gate frequently whenever I need to move any 4x8's. After reading this thread I am wondering if doing this is more of a challenge that I initially expected. Any other Avy owners who are contractors using the truck like me?

howardj said:
I am a contractor and planned on removing the mid gate frequently whenever I need to move any 4x8's. After reading this thread I am wondering if doing this is more of a challenge that I initially expected. Any other Avy owners who are contractors using the truck like me?
why not then just fold midgate down and slide in your 4x8 sheets of plywood like the truck was intended?

Heck I have several times as well as 2x4x8' etc....

Yesterday was patio furniture except this timeI remoe midgate windwo too so cross bar would be out of the way

After running into problems when hauling anything longer than 6ft I decided to replace the mid-gate.

I basically used plywood that  already had on hand.
It was pretty easy and didn't take more than an hour.

I used the mid-gate as a guide , traced and outline then cut. I spit it in 2 parts so I can drop down either side or both.
That just seems like something that should have been done at the plant.

I painted it stock gray a few hours ago and it's is drying overnight.

Wow, nothing like waking up an old thread......  :laugh:

The idea of a split midgate has been discussed many times over the years and we even got a comment from a GM designer at one time that mentioned that there would be a problem with rigidity and water/exhaust fume/ noise and getting a proper seal so it was discarded. I could see the split system working if you did it with window and crossbar in place but billybatts what would you do if you wanted to remove rear window and crossbar, where would they be stored?

I have only had my Avy less than a year so this is all new to me.

For now i have the crossbar and window in place but....
I have actually been thinking about fabricating a plexiglass sliding rear window and storing the original in the house with my midgate for the warmer months.

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,6185.msg89505.html#msg89505

I'm sure Chevy had a reason to make the midgate one whole piece, it was just annoying because the rear seats fold separately.
My SUV has that same feature and comes in handy when i'm loading lumber and don't have to rearrange my tool, speakers, ect... plus i still have a available seat.

Back