• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2009 Six Speed Transmission

05SilverAvMan

So, how are you guys liking your new 6 speed transmissions?
Especially for those who had the previous 4 speed 4L460 E
trannies. Is it like night and day?

05SilverAvMan said:
So, how are you guys liking your new 6 speed transmissions?
Especially for those who had the previous 4 speed 4L460 E
trannies. Is it like night and day?

my friend has the caddy escalade and hates the 6 speed, he complains its always slow to dowshift cause it has to drop 2 or more gears when he drives agressively putting the pedal to the metal - waiting for the down & down shift - but driving light footed is smooth as silk ...

I have a 5 Speed Yukon Denali and a new 09 6 Speed Avi and they are completely different.

Do I like the new 6 speed tran?  Sure do.  The 5 Speed tran had a bit better response time when doing 100 km and punching it to 140 kmh, however the difference is not extremely different between the two.

I love in the 6 speed how I run @ 1500 rpms @ 100 km/h compared to 2100 rpm in the 5 speed.  Saving about 2 litres on average per 100 km city and about 4 highway depending...

Ashtray00 said:
I have a 5 Speed Yukon Denali and a new 09 6 Speed Avi and they are completely different.

Do I like the new 6 speed tran?  Sure do.  The 5 Speed tran had a bit better response time when doing 100 km and punching it to 140 kmh, however the difference is not extremely different between the two.

I love in the 6 speed how I run @ 1500 rpms @ 100 km/h compared to 2100 rpm in the 5 speed.  Saving about 2 litres on average per 100 km city and about 4 highway depending...

5 speed trans in a Denali ?? when ?  :eek:

I have the 6spd with the 6.0 and love both. I get better milage than with the flex fuel 5.3 and towing the 6 spd has some nice features. In the tow mod with cruise on it will do whatever has to be done to hold the speed down hill. With the cruise off just a light touch of the break pedal it starts to hold it back, if not enough just touch it again and it will slow even more. Many other items work well. Had a 02, 03, 04, 07 and now a 09. the 07 and 09 had the LTZ trim. The nav system is so bad I use my Garmin on the dash. Sent GM an E-mail no answer. GM uses around 6 different units (all different software and they all operate different.

I have a 2009 AV Z71 ,I find it a little slow in between shifts... Luv the Av though!!!

escalanche said:
5 speed trans in a Denali ?? when ?   :eek:
I have a 2009 Av 6.0 & 6spd and Also have a 2007 Denali XL with the 6.2 & 6 Spd tranny.  The only tranny you can get in the Denali is the 6spd. 
I really like it in both trucks...especially when towing

Traded my '07 Bermuda Blue LT Avalanche for  an '09 Ruby Red LTZ this week.  (Pictures are on the way)  So far loving it.  I tend to buy my Avy's with clear headed thinking, researching all the options.  Okay, so I really call up my girlfriend who is a Chevy car salesperson, tell her what color and options then she finds it. 

I didn't even know it had the six speed trans.  It  is different from my 07  though.  I have noticed a bit of a lag when I accelerate and it seems a bit doggy when going up hill.  I am not sure how much is me getting use to the differences and the break in time.  This one came with the trailering package and auto air ride features.  So I don't know if that affects anything yet.  I do know if the lag continues I will have the dealer look into it.  It is a minor issue to me so far. 
-Clev   

Just traded my 08 5.3L 4speed for an 09 6.0L 6speed. I was concerned that 09 will be the only year for this combo. So far I really like the 6speed although throttle position for a downshift is a bit different and will take some getting used to. I wouldn't call it lag, just different. I can't wait for the first mountain pass towing to hopefully appreciate the real difference in both engine and transmission.

It is definitely different than the four speed...bit laggy on the hills; find myself dropping to manual and using the thumb shifter at times.
The new engine braking in trailer mode is pretty weird.... but effective.  If you are disciplined (which I am not), the six-speed and V4/V8 feature seems to be effective in increasing mileage.

I have an 09 Sierra, 6sp 5.3...it is not to my liking...slow down shift, doggy on hills, slow up shift due to all the torque mtg...will be going to Black Bear or here in town at Nelson for a moderate tune to correct...

I am liking it, just went from a 07 LT with the 4 Speed to an 09 Z71 with the 6 Speed. It is a little weird from a dead stop it seems to shift too fast sometimes. On the highway though it maintains pretty good and seems to be getting better mileage. I am only on my first tank of gas but I Like it!  (y)

The new six speed is incredibly smooth. I traded a 2009 extended cab with the 4 speed for the Avalanche with the 6 and find the difference very noticeable. With the 2009 4 speed and "fly by wire" throttle, there was a delay between pushing the accelerator to pass and the transmission downshifting to passing gear. According to the GM bulletins, this is normal. The new 6 speed is much more responsive and the transition to passing gear is very smooth. I also like the manual shift feature that helps allows you to hold in a lower gear when climbing hills. (y)

par72 said:
....... there was a delay between pushing the accelerator to pass and the transmission downshifting to passing gear. According to the GM bulletins, this is normal.

it is....torque management to protect the transmission....removable.  Not necessary with the new design.

Anyone been checking their trans temp on an 09' while towing?  I was at 217 deg for quite a while the other day.  Seems a bit hot.

I just wanted to say that i love the 6spd aswell. Its much better drivable then the 4 spd certain at lower speeds. The 4spd i had before would sometimes hick up when at slow speeds. The 6spd doenst do this! Alsow the shifting is way better than the 4spd with the 4spd there was a hugh gap between 1st gear and 2nd gear the rpm dropped to far at WOT so it took some time to recover the speed. Now with the 6spd it seems to be going like for ever without the feel that the pull is gone. I now even have an costum tune made for the truck and all the Torque managment system on the enigne side of things ( the transmison side should be around a couple of weeks) and the 4 sec delay are gone. That really woke the enigne up and in combination with the 6spd it feels even more smooth at normale shifting but you can feel it launch at WOT. If you guys want to i can post some picks of the truck.... just let me know

Greetings Solid

Back