Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
10/25/14 11:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remote starter using OEM key fob?  (Read 5796 times)
dustintinsley

Awards
« on: 04/08/09 04:40 PM »

I am looking for a remote starter that can use the oem key fob (normal fob with lock/unlock functions) as i dont want to cary an additional fob.  i have found the valet 561t, but not sure how good it is.  any one use this model?  have recommendations? also, would i need a bypass?  i have an '05 avalanche 1500....
midwest kid
CAFCNA 2007 Supporting Member

Northface Edition

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 04/09/09 04:19 AM »

To answer your questions... yes, you could use youe factory fob. there is a couple different ways to do so. In any matter, the remote start your looking at (along with most) has an activation wire that can activate the remote start with a couple pulses. For instance, a pulse from a LOCK wire and a pulse from a UNLOCK wire diode isolating the wires or using relays (preferred). And yes, you would need a bypass for your truck.

03 Avalanche Northface / 00 Grand Prix GTP / 04 Trailblazer LS
02 Yamaha R6 / 05 Yamaha Apex
goom49

The AV is outta this world!

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 04/09/09 08:36 AM »

I have thought about doing this with the "panic button."  Problem is you would have to find the output signal from the BCM (I guess) to tap into and possibly deactivate it, thus not setting off the alarm.

Keep us informed if you get this figured out.  I would love this mod for next winter!   Thumbs up!

06 Black 1500 Cladded LT.  chrome step bar, Sunroof, & tent/mattress    Mods: full time Ambers, front tint, 4onHigh, Split hinged Mid-Deck, Maglite, rear head rest removed, diamond plate rear bumper, stainless window trim, chrome handles, power tailgate lock, sail panel LEDs, F&I, dual batteries, Pioneer F90BT, & two 8 inch kicker L5s (gotta get pics)

67 Mustang midnight blue coupe (50% of modding budget)
07HrlyHlr

HE'S BACK!!!

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 04/09/09 10:12 AM »

My aftermarket remote start fob unlocks my door and has a panic feature so I dont carry my factory fob! Just get one that does that seems a heck of alot easier since you are alreayd buying the remote start!

2007 Burnt Orange LT...No mods yet...

Had to sell her and some a$$hole trashed her! 2005 Z71 4x4 10 or so mods and LOTS of paint matching! Clear headlights, Harley Davidson emblems chrome Avalanche on rear and chrome tailgate handle chrome bow tie and of course You cant lose with 22's!
midwest kid
CAFCNA 2007 Supporting Member

Northface Edition

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 04/09/09 10:42 AM »

I have thought about doing this with the "panic button."  Problem is you would have to find the output signal from the BCM (I guess) to tap into and possibly deactivate it, thus not setting off the alarm.

Keep us informed if you get this figured out.  I would love this mod for next winter!   Thumbs up!

Dont quote me because honestly, ive never looked for it, but im pretty sure there is no "panic" output since its controlled within the module itself.

My aftermarket remote start fob unlocks my door and has a panic feature so I dont carry my factory fob! Just get one that does that seems a heck of alot easier since you are alreayd buying the remote start!

About 99% of them have there own key fobs that still retain the OEM functions like the lock\unlock. It sounded like he didnt want to go that route. I assumed he already knew the aftermarket fob would control everything his OEM fob did. Shame on me for assuming.  banghead 

03 Avalanche Northface / 00 Grand Prix GTP / 04 Trailblazer LS
02 Yamaha R6 / 05 Yamaha Apex
07HrlyHlr

HE'S BACK!!!

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 04/09/09 01:42 PM »

I figured that also, but then why would he want to keep the factory fob and have to do the extra work for it? I dont know doesnt make sense to me I guess!

Had to sell her and some a$$hole trashed her! 2005 Z71 4x4 10 or so mods and LOTS of paint matching! Clear headlights, Harley Davidson emblems chrome Avalanche on rear and chrome tailgate handle chrome bow tie and of course You cant lose with 22's!
RENORCR
CAFCNA 2014 Premium Member

(aka "RENO") Too many mods, too little time!!!

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 04/09/09 03:09 PM »

Perhaps not too make it appear has their is remote start.  Huh

2003 1500 Z66 Black (SVO/PI) - BLT: 11/02  Arrived: 4/03
Light Mods: Amber FT/DRL's, Blue/Red LED, Hood Light, Kickpanel lights, Maglight mod
Ext Mods: FTS8002, Z71 Skid Plate, Frt/Rr Combo WAAG guards, Manik Taillght Guard, Custom Frt/Rr 2500 Wheel Moulding, Husky MudGuards
Engine Mods: 145 Amp Alt, Aux Trans Cooler, Flexalite Oil Cooler, Painless Dual Battery
07HrlyHlr

HE'S BACK!!!

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 04/09/09 07:21 PM »

Perhaps not too make it appear has their is remote start.  Huh
I see not my gig, but to each their own!!! good luck with your project!

goom49

The AV is outta this world!

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 04/10/09 07:05 AM »

Dont quote me because honestly, ive never looked for it, but im pretty sure there is no "panic" output since its controlled within the module itself.

I  understand an agree with you, however there is still some kind of signal going in or coming out of the BCM.    Its likely that the signal comes in on the fob receiving ant/module and then you would have to have something decipher the signal and stop it from continuing on to the BCM.  In very easy I admit.  But sometimes the mods that seem hard are much easier.

06 Black 1500 Cladded LT.  chrome step bar, Sunroof, & tent/mattress    Mods: full time Ambers, front tint, 4onHigh, Split hinged Mid-Deck, Maglite, rear head rest removed, diamond plate rear bumper, stainless window trim, chrome handles, power tailgate lock, sail panel LEDs, F&I, dual batteries, Pioneer F90BT, & two 8 inch kicker L5s (gotta get pics)

67 Mustang midnight blue coupe (50% of modding budget)
Mike Mercury

WWW Awards
« Reply #9 on: 04/10/09 10:49 AM »

I  understand an agree with you, however there is still some kind of signal going in or coming out of the BCM.    Its likely that the signal comes in on the fob receiving ant/module and then you would have to have something decipher the signal and stop it from continuing on to the BCM.  In very easy I admit.  But sometimes the mods that seem hard are much easier.

I hear ya, but the " signal going in" is probably digital data, on the BCM or PCM data bus.  It would be quite a feat to intercept this data transmission, decipher it, and provide some sorta generic output for an aftermarket product.

And it's been done before . On newer Corvettes, an aftermarket device is available that will automatically raise/lower the windows using the factory key-fob.   This device (called the Window Valet) plugs into the OBD2 port and looks for a data command over the vehicles data bus - for power lock activation... coming from the factory keyfob.

If it intercepts 3 commands for "lock" within a short timespan... not only will  the doors lock, but the Window Valet sends a command on the PCM bus to raise the windows.

And the same the other direction; three unlock commands intercepted by the Window Valet - in turn sends a command to lower the windows... as the car unlocks the doors.

---------------------------------------

I've installed 7 to 8  Bulldog remote starters over the years; and they all had a keyfob that was capable of totally replacing the factory keyfob; not only remote start, but door lock/unlock and trunk release.
« Last Edit: 04/10/09 10:56 AM by Mike Mercury » Logged
Mike Mercury

WWW Awards
« Reply #10 on: 04/10/09 10:53 AM »

BTW; BulldogSecurity.com shows a "T-Harness" available for the 2005 Avalanche; that would make installation much easier:

http://64.85.6.121/diagrams/printpage.asp?ModelID=19644&MakeID=54
hpnotic

Blue Beast

Awards
« Reply #11 on: 12/09/10 11:34 AM »

I'm thinking about doing the same for my truck.  I already like my alarm and would love to add the remote start to the factory key fob.  I've heard from a car dealer in my area that if you can start your vehicle and still use your key fob to lock and unlock your vehicle while running that you can add the remote starter to the factory key fob.  I just need to find out what other parts are required to do this.

02 Blue Z-71, Billet Grill, Turbonator, Hyper Blue Headlights, Blue Bowtie, Blue Interior LED's, Chrome Gas Door Cover, Chrome Door and Tailgate Handles, 22" Forte Juice Rims, JL Audio Stealth Box, and More 2 Come!!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: