• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Remote starter using OEM key fob?

dustintinsley

I am looking for a remote starter that can use the oem key fob (normal fob with lock/unlock functions) as i dont want to cary an additional fob.  i have found the valet 561t, but not sure how good it is.  any one use this model?  have recommendations? also, would i need a bypass?  i have an '05 avalanche 1500....

To answer your questions... yes, you could use youe factory fob. there is a couple different ways to do so. In any matter, the remote start your looking at (along with most) has an activation wire that can activate the remote start with a couple pulses. For instance, a pulse from a LOCK wire and a pulse from a UNLOCK wire diode isolating the wires or using relays (preferred). And yes, you would need a bypass for your truck.

I have thought about doing this with the "panic button."  Problem is you would have to find the output signal from the BCM (I guess) to tap into and possibly deactivate it, thus not setting off the alarm.

Keep us informed if you get this figured out.  I would love this mod for next winter!  (y)

My aftermarket remote start fob unlocks my door and has a panic feature so I dont carry my factory fob! Just get one that does that seems a heck of alot easier since you are alreayd buying the remote start!

goom49 said:
I have thought about doing this with the "panic button."  Problem is you would have to find the output signal from the BCM (I guess) to tap into and possibly deactivate it, thus not setting off the alarm.

Keep us informed if you get this figured out.  I would love this mod for next winter!   (y)

Dont quote me because honestly, ive never looked for it, but im pretty sure there is no "panic" output since its controlled within the module itself.

05HrlyHlr said:
My aftermarket remote start fob unlocks my door and has a panic feature so I dont carry my factory fob! Just get one that does that seems a heck of alot easier since you are alreayd buying the remote start!

About 99% of them have there own key fobs that still retain the OEM functions like the lock\unlock. It sounded like he didnt want to go that route. I assumed he already knew the aftermarket fob would control everything his OEM fob did. Shame on me for assuming.  :E:  >:D

I figured that also, but then why would he want to keep the factory fob and have to do the extra work for it? I dont know doesnt make sense to me I guess!

midwest kid said:
Dont quote me because honestly, ive never looked for it, but im pretty sure there is no "panic" output since its controlled within the module itself.

I  understand an agree with you, however there is still some kind of signal going in or coming out of the BCM.    Its likely that the signal comes in on the fob receiving ant/module and then you would have to have something decipher the signal and stop it from continuing on to the BCM.  In very easy I admit.  But sometimes the mods that seem hard are much easier.

goom49 said:
I  understand an agree with you, however there is still some kind of signal going in or coming out of the BCM.    Its likely that the signal comes in on the fob receiving ant/module and then you would have to have something decipher the signal and stop it from continuing on to the BCM.  In very easy I admit.  But sometimes the mods that seem hard are much easier.

I hear ya, but the " signal going in" is probably digital data, on the BCM or PCM data bus.  It would be quite a feat to intercept this data transmission, decipher it, and provide some sorta generic output for an aftermarket product.

And it's been done before . On newer Corvettes, an aftermarket device is available that will automatically raise/lower the windows using the factory key-fob.   This device (called the Window Valet) plugs into the OBD2 port and looks for a data command over the vehicles data bus - for power lock activation... coming from the factory keyfob.

If it intercepts 3 commands for "lock" within a short timespan... not only will  the doors lock, but the Window Valet sends a command on the PCM bus to raise the windows.

And the same the other direction; three unlock commands intercepted by the Window Valet - in turn sends a command to lower the windows... as the car unlocks the doors.

---------------------------------------

I've installed 7 to 8  Bulldog remote starters over the years; and they all had a keyfob that was capable of totally replacing the factory keyfob; not only remote start, but door lock/unlock and trunk release.

BTW; BulldogSecurity.com shows a "T-Harness" available for the 2005 Avalanche; that would make installation much easier:

http://64.85.6.121/diagrams/printpage.asp?ModelID=19644&MakeID=54

I'm thinking about doing the same for my truck.  I already like my alarm and would love to add the remote start to the factory key fob.  I've heard from a car dealer in my area that if you can start your vehicle and still use your key fob to lock and unlock your vehicle while running that you can add the remote starter to the factory key fob.  I just need to find out what other parts are required to do this.

Back