• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

What Type of gas can I run?

clemsonfan1992

I have a gas question. Can I run MidGrade or premium in my avalanche? Just to give it a lil more power. will their be any problems if i run a diffrent octane gas?

Owner's manual.

The truck will not do anything better with more expensive gas as it is in stock tuned form.

USe 87 octane on stock truck..

no more energy is actually in higher octane fuel....
It just burns slower allowing for more advance timing and higher compression...

Dupont 24 said:
I use 87 octane with no problems at all.
I have run all grades in my 06 LS 5.3, so no real difference in mileage, maybe idles a little better with the 89, and 1 mile per gallon better, not worth the money. I hear all these stores about ethanol being bad, but I had 177k on my 01 5.3 short bed before a hail storm trashed it with no issues, didn't burn any oil, have always stuck with Castrol Sythetic. My 06 now has 127k, and no issues , runs like a champ and no oil burn between changes.

I've only run 87 since I bought mine beginning of August with no problems.  I'm a creature of habit and do splash some Seafoam in the tank occasionally.  I'd prefer to find a station locally that offers Ethanol free gasoline.  There is a reason why marine and aviation engines are prohibited from having corn in their gas besides it being pricier, have less mpg, and requires more energy to create than what it gives out. 

On the first post; like DougD said, if you're on the factory tune, it doesn't know how to use the higher octane fuel so there won't be a difference. I'm tuned for it I get more power and a little economy to offset my gears and lead foot.

Agm_66 I couldn't agree more about the corn juice. When will they admit being wrong and stop rotting our engines? It's corrosive and so in efficient  

According to a world famous engine tuner, there is actually LESS heat energy available in higher octane fuel.  The octane additives make the fuel harder to ignite so that it doesn't detonate at higher compression ratios.  That is all it does.  Your Avy has knock sensors that adjust the timing, etc, to take into account the octane of the fuel you use so use the lowest octane that doesn't ping under moderate acceleration.  Here at higher elevations (I am at 6200 ft), we actually have 85 octane as the regular unleaded.  My truck runs great on it!

Back