• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Suspension question: 4x4 vs. Z71 ride quality

biscuit141

New member here, hoping to pick up an Avalanche soon.  I have read all the posts about feature of a 4x4 vs. Z71, but my question is how does the different shocks affect the ride of the truck?  I read the ride height is slightly higher in the Z71, but does it have a harsher ride compared to the 4x4?

I found a very clean one owner 05 4x4 with every option but rear entertainment and Z71 package, and I'm trying to decide if the Z71 is a package I want.  I wont be off-roading the truck to the point of needing skid plates, and while I like the larger Z71 wheels, its not a deal breaker for a clean 4x4, so my main question is ride quality of the two suspensions.  Thanks in advance.

Not much difference in ride at all, I had an early '02 4x4 with smooth ride package for 3 years then swapped to '04 Z71

Shocks wear out eventually so you can tame the slightly stiffer ride on the Z71 or add Bilstein or other stiffer shocks to the 4x4 anytime. The ride quality depends as much on tire choice as shocks. Just change the tires/shocks when they wear out and stiffen or smooth the ride to suit you.

Stock height difference between 4x4/Z71 is barely noticeable, that depends on tire size as well as rim size. Height can be slightly different in exact same models depending on how they adjusted the trucks at the factory.

Back