Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lock Your Tailgates  (Read 14851 times)

lsuflyingtiger

• CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member
  • I love the Chevy Avalanche!  Geaux Tigers!!!!!
Lock Your Tailgates
« on: 09/24/02 01:02 AM »

Everyone,

Recommend you lock your tailgates.  A guy down here didn't lock his and some stole his bed cover.  Easily prevented if your tailgate is locked.  So BE CAREFUL.

He said his replacement cost is over $700.  

Just some helpful hints from your favorite Tiger.

Jim :B:
Wanted an AV forever, finally got one!

White Z-66; Leather etc.  Added mudflaps and bug shield; flag bowtie, flag rear window, K&N air filter, V-force dual exhaust out the back.

bmontini

• Order one to love YOUR Avalanche!
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #1 on: 09/24/02 01:15 AM »

Man... some people are just SICK...

Dub

• Love my Chevy Avalanche!
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #2 on: 09/24/02 01:25 AM »

I've thought about this already.  I'm in such a habit now of locking it that I lock it even if the covers are off!  But I guess locking it all the time has 2 advantages, well ok 3:  1) Can't steal the covers.  2) Can't steal the bed liner.  3) I'm always sure that the tailgate is closed.  (I've found that if the key doesn't turn to the locked position easily, that the tailgate may not be completely latched.  So I open it and slam it one more time.)  I've only had the tailgate bounce once  :o (when my Dad didn't close it hard enough) and that's all it took for me to make sure it's closed all the time!  :1:
02 Avalanche Pewter Z71 
born 9/01
Mods: Stereo, vent shields, CW Billet Grille, Flag Bow Tie, UPD, Line of Fire, & Amber DRL's, GM (Av) bug gaurd.

Edmonds, WA

lsuflyingtiger

Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #3 on: 09/24/02 01:36 AM »

I have the tailgate bounce twice.  Once when I first bought the truck and once when my friend put his clubs in the back and he shut it.  It owns a Toyota so he was used to being a wimp with the tailgate.  I explained to him that you can close my tailgate like a man.  The AV won't get hurt.

White Z-66; Leather etc.  Added mudflaps and bug shield; flag bowtie, flag rear window, K&N air filter, V-force dual exhaust out the back.

BigBlue

• BigBlue... The Threadkilla!
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #4 on: 09/24/02 01:49 AM »

When I replaced my factory alarm with an aftermarket one, I had them put a solenoid in for the tailgate.  Now whenever I hit my 'lock' button it locks all the doors, and the tailgate too!  It was only $100 to have them do it, although they told me they regretted charging so little (something about having to take the tailgate apart to run the wire?).  Makes life much more secure - since the world is so obviously sanitized for my protection!  :4:
BigBlue's Big Blue was an '02 Z-71 1500.  BIGBLACK is our new '04 Z-71 WBH.  20" ETX Sixshots - Toyo Proxes 305/50/20 - MagnaFlow, Escalade Platinum Gauges, Bedslide with matching Bed-deck,  Denali Grey Wood Dash Trim, Denali Wood Wheel, JL Stealth Box, JL 350 amps.  AVIC-N1 Navigation, Backup Cam, TV-Tuner, XM and On-Star and Steering Wheel interface. Katskinz leather!

BigBlue

• BigBlue... The Threadkilla!
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #5 on: 09/24/02 01:52 AM »

And as for someone stealing the bed covers... What REALLY would tick me off about that - Has to be another AV owner!  Or worse yet - an EXT owner  >:(  Who else could use them?
BigBlue's Big Blue was an '02 Z-71 1500.  BIGBLACK is our new '04 Z-71 WBH.  20" ETX Sixshots - Toyo Proxes 305/50/20 - MagnaFlow, Escalade Platinum Gauges, Bedslide with matching Bed-deck,  Denali Grey Wood Dash Trim, Denali Wood Wheel, JL Stealth Box, JL 350 amps.  AVIC-N1 Navigation, Backup Cam, TV-Tuner, XM and On-Star and Steering Wheel interface. Katskinz leather!

ygmn

• Administrator
  • Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #6 on: 09/24/02 02:35 AM »

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr....thiefs make me mad :8:

Seems this thief wants to resell the panels back to the owner.....I remember when T-tops were a hot and stolen all the time......

I have always locked my tailgate and will conitinue to do so......
Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

Wiki

• Island Bound
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #7 on: 09/24/02 02:53 AM »

What is the world comming to.  Now our bed covers aren't even safe anymore.  Mine will be.  I am going out and buying a rabid Pitt Bull and putting him in the back of my AV, with a watter/food dispensser.  That should help protect my investment.

***the above statement is purely fictional.  Wiki loves animals and would never submit an animal to those conditions.......but I would putt a Pitt Bull on a thief in a heartbeat*******
Until then, keep your foot in the pedal, and keep reaching for those MODS!

Ahhnuld

• Charter Member
  • All it takes is an Engineer!
    • The SaberWorks
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #8 on: 09/24/02 04:15 AM »

:8:The SOB could sell them on ebay or anywhere esle for that matter. I was waiting for this to happen.

ygmn

• Administrator
  • Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #9 on: 09/24/02 04:21 AM »

I guess with this kinda makes me leary of the stuff for sale in our parts section.....Hopefully no thiefs have joined the site to sell the stuff they stole from a fellow avy owner
Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

nh_mark

Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #10 on: 09/24/02 04:22 AM »

I always lock my tailgate, both to verify that it is closed correctly and to prevent theft.  

It's kind of funny, last week I had to go to the dump, when I do that I usually load up the truck on Friday night so I can just go on Sat. morning.  I had the panels off and I stored them in the bag.  I said to my wife "do you think its ok to leave them in the back or should I put them in the shed?"  I decided to leave them in the back but I think from now on I'll store them in my shed when I do that.

-Mark
Member No. 1434
Current - 2008 Cadillac CTS4 - Black Cherry, Lux Pkg, Sport Pkg, 3.6 DI

Used to have - 2002 Indigo Blue Z71, Assist steps, Sunroof, Av windshield graphic, Av bug deflector, Av mudflaps, Magnaflow muffler, LOF, Full time Amber DRLs, Av mountain logo on 'C' pillar and on sun visors, AMP fuel door. Painted "Avalanche" on cladding with Testors chrome silver paint. BFG 285's, Painted bowties on hubcaps.

ShapeShifter

• CAFCNA 2013 Premium Member
  • What a great trip it's been...
    • ShapeShifter
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #11 on: 09/24/02 04:32 AM »

I lock my tailgate 99% of the time, even when there's nothing in there. After reading this, guess I'll keep it locked that other 1% now. A power lock is on my mod list, it's moving up the list a few notches now.

I can just see it now. That guy thought the covers were cool and is right now tryng to figure out how to mount them on his little toy import truck. Truck envy. :C:

-- SS

lsuflyingtiger

Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #12 on: 09/24/02 04:37 AM »

SS,

You are probably right.  I could see him know.  Where do I drill the holes to lock these in.

Moron.

Jim

midlifecrisis

• Charter Member
    • AutoRacing1
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #13 on: 09/24/02 04:59 AM »

I just can't believe that the power locking tailgate issue was not addressed by Chevy for the 2003 model.

:6:
2002 Black Onyx 1500 Z-71, assist steps, roof rack, WOL tires, visor decals, amber DRLs, gold painted cladding lettering, gold Avalanche C-pillar decals, Avalanche mountain Z-71 logo, mounted mag-lite, side mirror bras, hitch mounted back-up light (destroyed when rear-ended), stainless steel exhaust tip

Drooling_Dog

• I love the Chevy Avalanche!
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #14 on: 09/24/02 05:06 AM »

Wow.  Thanks for the tip lsuflyingtiger.  I only lock mine when there's something in it to steal.  That's gonna change now.  I didn't even think of someone ripping off the cover.

lsuflyingtiger

Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #15 on: 09/24/02 05:11 AM »

Drooling_Dog,

Your welcome.  I am just trying to take care of the smartest people in the world--you know AV owners.

Jim

wrchism

• Charter Member
  • Chevrolet Avalanche
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #16 on: 09/24/02 05:31 AM »

Got a habit to change!  I've gotten into the 'slam it and check it' habit but haven't generally locked the gate each time.

Yea the auto lock is an oversight on Chevy's part . . and one not corrected on the 2003 . . .  >:(

As for thieves . . . they are simple opportunists . . . it doesn't matter what they steal . . . if it did, such moral thought patterns would likely lead them to repent of their 'profession' . . . unfortunately it doesn't happen often.
2003 Anniversary Edition Corvette - 2002 Z71 Avalanche
Thanks Chevy for two outstanding Vehicles!

RichUF

• CAFCNA 2005 Supporting Member
  • UNP1MPD
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #17 on: 09/24/02 05:44 AM »

:8:The SOB could sell them on ebay or anywhere esle for that matter. I was waiting for this to happen.

Hey, lsuflyingtiger...maybe the thief will be dumb enough to sell on ebay.  Then you could win, meet him locally to pick up your panels, and then kick his ***.  Just a thought.

BTW, I'm a UF alum and UF/LSU happens to be one of the only two games that I will be able to go to this year.  Could be a good one!
[sig deleted by Admin...your account is next to go]

Steelheadchaser

• Administrator
  • Forethought is better than afterthought
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #18 on: 09/24/02 06:18 AM »

I keep my taigate locked all the time as well. I got in the habit early since I spend a lot of the time with the midgate down.
 Thank you Supporting and Premium Supporting Members, You are the ones that keep the lights on here!

cagowen

Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #19 on: 09/24/02 06:48 AM »

I lock mine all of the time, even if its in my driveway.  Old habbit from growing up near Chicago.

Locking it can be a hassel.  I travel frequently, and with the "tighter" security at the airports, they want to check every compartment.  Before I leave for the airport, I have to unlock the tailgate and the side compartments.

lsuflyingtiger

Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #20 on: 09/24/02 06:58 AM »

RichUF,

Should be a good game on the 12th.  Just sucks that it is in the Swamp.  I was at the game a couple years back when LSU won 28-21.  UF had a good game against Tennessee.

Jim

NJAV

• Charter Member
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #21 on: 09/24/02 07:10 AM »

I consistently keep mine locked at all times, I trust nobody in this world today enough to do otherwise....I normally don't have to go back there on a daily basis regardless so it is locked most of the time anyway... :B:

Leather

• Love my AV Bought June 2002 Born May 2002
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #22 on: 09/24/02 07:23 AM »

I had my AV for 2 months B4 I realized that when I used the remote to lock all the doors that the tailgate was not included, I was lucky.  Tks 4 the Tip on stolen Covers, I never thought of that. I never used to lock my tailgate guess I will start!

SOM Loaded Z71 ...........Red Deer, Alberta
Leathers Avalanche Mod's

NJAV

• Charter Member
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #23 on: 09/24/02 07:29 AM »

The best is when I hear from some of my friends or collegues..."We don't really worry about locking or anything because it is a pretty quiet neighborhood"...Ok where do you think the thieves in the world are going to target eventually....point is nobody is safe, and where you fall on the map I don't think makes much of a difference.... :B:

imaniguana

• Charter Member
  • I love my second Z71 Av!
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #24 on: 09/24/02 08:57 AM »

I keep mine locked all the time.  No telling if someone might want to use the "bed" as a hotel room some night.  I don't really keep anything in it anyway, except for an aluminum bat and a blanket.  Ya gotta love those aluminum bats . . . . no splinters to get snagged on the blanket during behavior modification activities!   :4:
03 Dark Grey Metallic, 1500 Z71, OnStar, leather seats with carcass warmers, convenience pkg., sunroof, luggage rack, steps, Bose factory sound, and GM bug deflector, amber DRLs.

AVYNUT

Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #25 on: 09/24/02 09:08 AM »

I keep mine locked now because it assures me that the gate is FULLY closed...   ;D

When she was brand new, I went to the gas station to fill a fuel can so I could mow the lawn.  Two people were admiring the AV and looking her over as the attendant  filled the gas can.  Anyway, I didn't lock the gate and it fell open as I drove out of the gas station.  It sounded like a wheel fell off!!!  LOL

But guess what?  I didn't stop to close the gate until I was WELL out of site of the station...   :B:

StrobinAvalanche

Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #26 on: 09/24/02 10:30 AM »

I always lock my tailgate especially when I have the midgate down. Once the tailgate was down and my dad pushed the lock button. I later check the tailgate and found that it was opened. I told my dad what's the point of pushing the lock button if you left the tailgate unlocked while the midgate was down. It's easy access.

kegger

• Desert Storm 1 Vet. 346th MP Co (EG)
    • Just a pic of my AV
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #27 on: 09/24/02 10:36 AM »

I have seen bed covers go on ebay a couple of times in the past month.  

I was thinking to myself, why would anyone want to sell those.    

I guess an autolock for the tailgate is another mod to add to the list.  

Anyone do this yet, and better yet have pic's and parts list?

CW Black Billit Grill,MagnaFlow Muffler and Tip, Diablo Predator Tuner, Painted PowerBar, Planned Mods: Security System,? Blackend Cladding ?, GPS, DVD, VCR, LCD, Silverado SS Wheels, ect...

4_by_Fun

Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #28 on: 09/24/02 03:15 PM »

I normally lock mine, but, one afternoon I went and got something from my toolbox and didn't lock it back, planning to put the tool up later. But low and behold the next morning I went out and noticed it was down and right away knew something bad had happened because I remembered putting closing it. Some little SOB stole my toolbox with mostly computer parts and software and all my son's ice hockey equipment. Dirty smelly hockey equipment that fits a 9 y/o. What ticks me off the most is that they probably threw most of the stuff away. Lesson cost about $1800, it has never gone unlocked again.

carnut

• CAFCNA 2018 Premium Member
  • 275000+ miles, and wheels haven't fallen off yet!!
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #29 on: 09/24/02 03:34 PM »

I live in a nice quiet suburban neighborhood, and nothing ever happens here. Except that time when my wife and I woke up on a Sunday morning to six cop cars on our street and in front of my house. Looked like the movies with guns drawn, taking cover behind their doors. I saw two cops with shotguns. They saw me, told me to get inside and take cover. This was a quiet dead end street with about 24 houses on it.
 The cause: ex husband came to the house of his exwife's boyfriend, Stabbed him badly, his wife ran out the other side of the house to hide.
 Don't think it can't happen to you.

I locked sides and tailgate from day one. Lock all doors, windows up, security set every night. But then again, I'm paranoid. I just like to keep my stuff.
Classic Car Nut, 29 Chevy coupe, 67 Camaro SS and (I must be insane) 73 Vega GT. And now, 2002 Chevy Avalanche Z71 loaded. Mods: Waag brushguard, billet grill, ambers, bug deflector, weather-flecters, molded mud flaps, flashlight, fender "flares".

empty

• Charter Member
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #30 on: 09/24/02 06:42 PM »

If anything it proves that even when there's nothing there to steal, there's still something there to steal.

I don't recall if anyone mentioned but the tailgate itself can be removed in just a few seconds.  Did the panel thief takes the mounting hardware or just the panels?

Maddening part is thieves just junk the stuff if they can't score some crack or whatever right away.  And why not, it didn't actually cost them anything.  Parasites.

2002 Z71

ZimmsAv

• Nightime DRL's!
    • ZimmsAv Pics
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #31 on: 09/24/02 11:36 PM »

It dawned on me to start locking the tailgate & cargo boxes when I was at a local car show/cruise in and I saw people just go right up to my truck when I wasn't next to it and open up the boxes and see what's in there.  I keep everything locked now...

Royal Oak, Michigan
ZimmsAv Pics

goo929

• Silent Avalanche - In Memorial
  • I'm now cruising my Av in heaven.
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #32 on: 09/24/02 11:40 PM »

Yes ... that happens to me all the time too.

I even keep the center console locked when I show it.  I am not always around when they are checking it out.

Don't cry for me - I'm cruising in heaven with Hooter's babes!
[/size]

lsuflyingtiger

Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #33 on: 09/25/02 02:37 AM »

The moron that stole the panels just took the panels and nothing else.

Green_Machine

Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #34 on: 09/25/02 07:37 AM »

Grr, sorry to hear about the theft, that's just infuriating  :8:

Thanks for the heads up though, it forced me to make certain that my Av is locked up tight.

JJM

• 2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 Z71 - Black
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #35 on: 11/09/03 10:45 AM »

ENGRAVER!!!  Get an engraver and engrave the serial number of your AV on the back side of the panels.  Then, if they show up on E-Bay or a Flee Market, any AV owner can help out his fellow AV owner.  Contact the cops, have them run the serial number and have them returned to their rightful owner.  The ripped off AV owner gets his panels back - the bad guys get busted!
2003 Avalanche 1500 Z71 - Black
"Every Day Is A Holiday"

ShapeShifter

• ShapeShifter
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #36 on: 11/09/03 11:29 AM »

Contact the cops, have them run the serial number and have them returned to their rightful owner.  The ripped off AV owner gets his panels back - the bad guys get busted!
And the guy who bought the panels in good faith, and did the right thing by reporting them, loses out on the money he just spent. It's just not right, but just try getting your money back from the seller dealing in stolen goods. :8:

-- SS

Supermobile

• CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member
  • Lead Guitar Picker
    • Supermobile site
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #37 on: 11/09/03 12:33 PM »

I keep my taigate locked all the time as well. I got in the habit early since I spend a lot of the time with the midgate down.

Just curious, why do you spend a lot of time with the midgate down. (are those steeheads really that big?)  ;D
Member since 2002. Listen to professionally recorded Avalanche Songs: http://www.larryhaydenmusic.com/avalanche.html

BgBlkAvalanche

• Charter Member
  • I refuse to grow up:  Only age!
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #38 on: 11/09/03 12:40 PM »

Everyone,

Recommend you lock your tailgates.  A guy down here didn't lock his and some stole his bed cover.  Easily prevented if your tailgate is locked.  So BE CAREFUL.

He said his replacement cost is over $700.  

Just some helpful hints from your favorite Tiger.

Jim :B:

Actually, the panels are $700 EACH!
The dealer replaced mine under waranty, and it was $2100 !
'02 Avalanche: Missing no option ( running boards removed) AR Atlas wheels & 285/75R16 Dick Cepek F-C II

Supermobile

• Lead Guitar Picker
    • Supermobile site
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #39 on: 11/09/03 01:10 PM »

Actually, the panels are $700 EACH!
The dealer replaced mine under waranty, and it was $2100 !

$2100 is a shocking revelation. Man if everyone knew that, they would keep the tailgate locked for sure.

Now what bothers me is the post someone made who said the tailgate itself can be removed easily in a matter of minutes.

Is that true?
« Last Edit: 11/09/03 01:10 PM by Supermobile »
Member since 2002. Listen to professionally recorded Avalanche Songs: http://www.larryhaydenmusic.com/avalanche.html

Chief

• Charter Member
  • Go team Venture!!!
    • Chevy Avalanche Fan Club
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #40 on: 11/09/03 01:24 PM »

Last night after parking my truck I had one of those "oh $h1t flashes" and went back out.  Sure enough the back was unlocked and had been since Friday afternoon.  The day I slipped a new Compaq computer system in the back!

YIKES!
2011 LTZ 4WD, White Diamond Tricoat, Black Leather - purchased 4/6/2015

2002 Z71, Indigo Blue, Graphite Leather

2009 Pontiac G8 GT, White Hot, Onyx Leather, Holden Commodore conversion

2005 Saturn Relay FWD3 Bronze Mist, Tan Leather, weather beater

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GT2 Silver, Gray Leather

1985 Isuzu Impulse Silver, Blue Cloth, fully restored survivor

WISE AV

• Gotta Love the AV !!!!!!
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #41 on: 11/09/03 03:16 PM »

Now what bothers me is the post someone made who said the tailgate itself can be removed easily in a matter of minutes.

Is that true?

Yep !!!
Lower it, unhook cable on each side, lift off !!!  gone in 60 seconds !!!
'02 Z-71, Onyx Black, 4.10, Brush Guard, SS Side Bars, Hood Deflector, Vent Visors, Full Time Amber DRL's, Door Edge Guards, Painted Lettering/Chrome Moulding on Cladding,  Sunroof, LOF, Mag Light, EXT Roof Rack, Tailgate Lettering, Sail Panel LED's

Supermobile

• Lead Guitar Picker
    • Supermobile site
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #42 on: 11/09/03 04:19 PM »

Yep !!!
Lower it, unhook cable on each side, lift off !!!  gone in 60 seconds !!!

But it has to be unlocked to lower it, correct? I thought he was saying that the tailgate could be removed easily even if it was unlocked.

ShapeShifter

• ShapeShifter
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #43 on: 11/09/03 05:45 PM »

But it has to be unlocked to lower it, correct? I thought he was saying that the tailgate could be removed easily even if it was unlocked.
If it's unlocked it's easy. If it's locked, it's a bit more work.

Yes, our tailgates have locks, but it isn't that hard to break them, and jimmy them open. Just like many car doors are easy to open with slimjim between the glass and weatherstrip, our tailgates are not completely secure.

Locks only keep honest people honest. If a determined thief wants to get in and take the tailgate, cargo panels, and/or anything else, there is little you can do to stop it.

-- SS

Skidd

• Member # 1394
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #44 on: 11/09/03 06:40 PM »

Locks only keep honest people honest. If a determined thief wants to get in and take the tailgate, cargo panels, and/or anything else, there is little you can do to stop it.

-- SS

I guess that 'man traps' are illegal in your part of the world as well.  ::)

disneydaddy

• Will work for a trip to Disneyworld
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #45 on: 11/09/03 06:55 PM »

I agree that locks only keep honest people honest.....  if you get caught trying to lift mine you better be able to run faster than 1650 feet per second  ;)

RedRocker

Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #46 on: 11/09/03 07:12 PM »

The thought of someone stealing my panels never even crossed my mind. Locking the tailgate and cargo boxes are will become a habit. I thought my tailgate would lock with the power door locks until I was showing off and too my surprise..it was unlocked. This truck has everything, I am amazed that Chevy didn't offer that function.
(by the way, Mine is a 04 so they still don't offer that yet).

Great forum. Love the truck. I was never a GM fan. This truck makes me wonder what I have been missing all these years?

04 Sport Met Red Z-71 (WBH) - Airlift bags, LED sail panel screws, rear view camera
01 Ford Conversion Van
89 "Cheap" Jeep Wrangler
95 Sportsmen 2600 Travel Trailer
02 Yamaha Grizzly 660
99 Polaris XLT 600 Special

A house full of kids, a garage full of toys and a wife sweet enough to let me keep them all.

munds Z71

Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #47 on: 11/09/03 07:30 PM »

This is something i never thought, of starting tomorrow........now i'm locking my tailgate :B: :B:MUNDSZ71 :B: :B:
First Avavanche 02 Z71 Indigo blue

Second Avalanche 09 LTZ Black

ShapeShifter

• ShapeShifter
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #48 on: 11/09/03 07:43 PM »

-- SS

Yep. And if you try and booby-trap your truck, all you're doing is handing over your truck, house, and all your money to the thief, because he's going to sue you in court and take you for everything. The fact that he was commiting a crime against your property when he got hurt doesn't seem to mean anything to our juries. :8:

Hmmm... am I getting to close to politics on this one? ???

-- SS

Skidd

• Member # 1394
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #49 on: 11/09/03 07:52 PM »

Yep. And if you try and booby-trap your truck, all you're doing is handing over your truck, house, and all your money to the thief, because he's going to sue you in court and take you for everything. The fact that he was commiting a crime against your property when he got hurt doesn't seem to mean anything to our juries. :8:

Hmmm... am I getting to close to politics on this one? ???

-- SS

LOL... not sure, but let me ask quickly before someones sees this thread.

Does it make ant difference if they are killed by the booby trap?  I.e. less likely to sue?  Or does it just allow the deceased NOK to lodge suit?

ShapeShifter

• ShapeShifter
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #50 on: 11/09/03 08:12 PM »

Does it make ant difference if they are killed by the booby trap?  I.e. less likely to sue?  Or does it just allow the deceased NOK to lodge suit?
No, if they die, then the next of kin can sue for wrongful death... on top of all of the other charges! :3:

-- SS

Skidd

• Member # 1394
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #51 on: 11/09/03 08:28 PM »

No, if they die, then the next of kin can sue for wrongful death... on top of all of the other charges! :3:

-- SS

Maybe we just need a wood chipper (picture a scene from the movie Fargo)... that way no one would ever know.  :4:

RIKrotorhead

• CAFCNA 2004 Supporting Member
  • You drive a WHAT??
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #52 on: 11/09/03 08:42 PM »

Maybe we just need a wood chipper (picture a scene from the movie Fargo)... that way no one would ever know.  :4:
???
You are going to put your cargo panels in a wood chipper?
 ;D

Hey RedRocker, welcome to the club. A good first mod is amber DRL's on your WBH. A good second one is the tailgate auto-lock. I saw a thread for a kit that has an auto-lock for the tailgate AND the saddlebags. I'll be doing that kit myself!
 :B:

7of7

• The GateCam
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #53 on: 11/09/03 10:18 PM »

Speaking of things being stolen,... One of my friends had his Jeep stolen,.... from the parking lot across the street from the police station,... they were only in the mall for 20-30 minutes.....

2003 Arrival Blue 1500 Z71, Every Option Except Engine Block Heater and XM Radio.  Snakeeyes Rear View Camera System, Stainless Assist Steps, Protection Package,  DRL Mod,  Headrest Mod, 2500 Front Wheel Well Moldings,Full-Time DRL's,

Supermobile

• Lead Guitar Picker
    • Supermobile site
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #54 on: 11/09/03 10:32 PM »

OK Skidd, you got my curiosity up, what is a "man trap" anyway?

Skidd

• Member # 1394
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #55 on: 11/10/03 12:48 AM »

I think you would call it a 'booby trap', that is something designed to catch a person not an animal.  I had a mate who wired the mains supply (240 volts) to his garage roller door where he kept his Harley Davidson... he did hear a loud scream along with an enormous blue flash.  LOL... I guess that someone didn't get what they wanted.

fitchr

• No matter where you go....There you are!
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #56 on: 11/10/03 06:30 AM »

Good advice about locking the tailgate. Another GOOD REASON is that a locked tailgate can't be removed. An open tailgate is removeable (without tools) unless you purchase an aftermarket locking device. Replaces the bolt on the right hand side with a bolt that has a head with a key indentation like a lug nut lock. I got one but I forget where I got it. Less than $5.00 I think. Tailgates are attractive to thives because they are almost always damaged when involved in rear end collisions. Eaiser to steal one than pay close to a grand for a replacement. They probably even shop for the right color so they don't have to bother with painting the thing.

IMHO, get a lock!
Richard Fitch, Lexington, Virginia
02 Onyx Black Z71, Poron Micro 3 Reversing Aid, Line of Fire, Rosewood Dash Kit, Sportwing Spoiler, Carrigeworks Polished Aluminum Grill and Bowtie, Mountain Graphics on C Pillars and Visors, 885 Fogs, Light, Magnaflow Muffler with Tip, Tailgate Pinswitch Cargo Light Control, Mirror Bras, CargoPro, Wheelskins Steering Wheel Cover, Window Vent-Shades, Bug Shield, GM Splash Guards, Viper 790XV remote start alarm system, Garmin SP IIIDeluxe.

GoldBowTie

• CAFCNA Regional Coordinator
  • Have you hugged your Avalanche today?
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #57 on: 11/11/03 03:39 AM »

Marriage?  ;)

Please excuse my off topic reply.

Also, I always keep my tailgate and side boxes locked.
Av #1 2002 Onyx Black Z71  205 MONTHS of ownership (Oct 01 - today) and 68507 miles.
147 GTG's attended in: OH, WV, TN, NY, MI, Canada, IN, NH, KY, GA, PA, NC, IA, and MO.

Av #3 2009 Black LTZ  67 months of ownership (Mar 13 - today) and 147322 miles.
(124594 when bought)
25 GTG's attended in: WV, OH, PA, IN and MI

Av #2 2003 Yellow Z71 WBH  18 MONTHS of ownership (Sep 11 - Mar 13) and 9302 miles added.
(101764 at delivery, 111066 at trade-in) Traded for 2009
19 GTG's attended in: OH, MI, PA, WV

midlifecrisis

• Charter Member
    • AutoRacing1
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #58 on: 11/11/03 04:55 AM »

I saw one of the cop shows the other night where the police rigged an SUV to automatically lock a burgular in the vehicle if the starter was tampered with.  They were doing a sting operation on car thiefs.  So a thief tries to steal the vehicle, but the electrical system goes haywire and the thief gets burned when the vehicle catches fire.

So then of course, the burgular's attorney tries to sue the police for injuring him.  Go figure.....   :o
2002 Black Onyx 1500 Z-71, assist steps, roof rack, WOL tires, visor decals, amber DRLs, gold painted cladding lettering, gold Avalanche C-pillar decals, Avalanche mountain Z-71 logo, mounted mag-lite, side mirror bras, hitch mounted back-up light (destroyed when rear-ended), stainless steel exhaust tip

awaken96

Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #59 on: 11/11/03 08:15 AM »

I've seen many bed covers on e-bay, they get 800.00 to 1000.00 for the covers, i've always wondered who in their right mind would sell the pannels! mabe there stolen from avs ?
2005 pontiac GTO
1995 camaro Z28

2004 2500 arrival blue.loaded. leather. onstar. .  4.10  ..mud guards,  new good years with raised white letters...vent visers...hood protecter...k&N..7'6" fisher snow plow, GM crome side steps, gm xm radio

Avalanche Rookie

• Life goes on.....
    • Avalanche Rookie's Website
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #60 on: 11/14/03 07:37 AM »

Mine is usually locked 24/7.  During the summer I had my golf clubs back there so I'm kinda in the habit of locking it anyway.

Thanks for the heads up.

Chris
2004 WBH Dark Gray Metallic Z66 - Sunroof, Cloth Seats, Stabilitrac, Avalanche Visor Decals, Custom Bowtie, In-Channel Vent Visors, XD5 Headlamps, Full Time DRL's, All 4 on at Once Mod.  Yet to install......chrome handles.

Sound System:  Pioneer NAV-SYS900DVD DVD Mobile Navigation System.

pactkevin

• 05 LT 2WD Onstar XM Sunroof Leather 5.3 L
Re: Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #61 on: 11/08/17 06:40 AM »

I replaced my tail gate lock with a different lock assembly.... not keyed to the same key as the rest of the truck. 
Avoids problems when I have to valet park my truck or when it is at a shop.  I carry the tail gate key with me.  Keeps all my goodies secure
Kevin Stephenson
2005 AV 1500
151,000 miles

ZipTie-Z71

« Reply #62 on: 11/08/17 08:11 AM »

Pretty old thread back to life lol,  I took apart my handle/lock because it was seized up, amazing what a alittle oil does.......anyways I found out how easy it would be to break the plastic cover to open up the tailgate if it's locked.
2006 Chevy Avalanche Z71
2014 Chevy Traverse AWD
2000 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab Z71
1986 Chevy Silverado long box 2WD
1967 Chevy C10 long box 2WD
1965 GMC 910 short box 2WD
1951 Chevy 3800 (1-ton)

frito

• CAFCNA 2018 Premium Member
  • "I'll be your bumblebee buzzing around"
« Reply #63 on: 11/08/17 11:57 AM »

I replaced my tail gate lock with a different lock assembly.... not keyed to the same key as the rest of the truck. 
Avoids problems when I have to valet park my truck or when it is at a shop.  I carry the tail gate key with me.  Keeps all my goodies secure
Unless you get a valet who, while unlikely, actually knows about the mid-gate.  😉 :)
Bumblebee - '03 Z71, FTDRL, All On High, Sail Panel LEDs, Bumper Cup Holders.  Decisions, Decisions...

nwguy

• CAFCNA 2018 Supporting Member
  • TOO OLD to keep doing what I keep doing any way.
« Reply #64 on: 02/02/18 11:47 AM »

WHERE I live, I leave the keys in the vehicles so I always know where they are.

We never lock the front door (big window, floor to top)when we leave because who ever has mischief on their mind should get a  good look at the 140 pound Rotty on the other side who will be trying to eat his way through to the person on the other side of the door.  :4:

One of the benefits of being the last house on a private road buried deep into the woods.
NO ONE will be able to hear you scream...:thumbsup:
My personal survival code-
I would rather have it and not need it instead of need it and not have it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 23 queries.