Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Lock Your Tailgates  (Read 14298 times)

AVYNUT

Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #25 on: 09/24/02 09:08 AM »

I keep mine locked now because it assures me that the gate is FULLY closed...   ;D

When she was brand new, I went to the gas station to fill a fuel can so I could mow the lawn.  Two people were admiring the AV and looking her over as the attendant  filled the gas can.  Anyway, I didn't lock the gate and it fell open as I drove out of the gas station.  It sounded like a wheel fell off!!!  LOL

But guess what?  I didn't stop to close the gate until I was WELL out of site of the station...   :B:

StrobinAvalanche

Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #26 on: 09/24/02 10:30 AM »

I always lock my tailgate especially when I have the midgate down. Once the tailgate was down and my dad pushed the lock button. I later check the tailgate and found that it was opened. I told my dad what's the point of pushing the lock button if you left the tailgate unlocked while the midgate was down. It's easy access.

kegger

• CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member
  • Desert Storm 1 Vet. 346th MP Co (EG)
    • Just a pic of my AV
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #27 on: 09/24/02 10:36 AM »

I have seen bed covers go on ebay a couple of times in the past month.  

I was thinking to myself, why would anyone want to sell those.    

I guess an autolock for the tailgate is another mod to add to the list.  

Anyone do this yet, and better yet have pic's and parts list?

CW Black Billit Grill,MagnaFlow Muffler and Tip, Diablo Predator Tuner, Painted PowerBar, Planned Mods: Security System,? Blackend Cladding ?, GPS, DVD, VCR, LCD, Silverado SS Wheels, ect...

4_by_Fun

Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #28 on: 09/24/02 03:15 PM »

I normally lock mine, but, one afternoon I went and got something from my toolbox and didn't lock it back, planning to put the tool up later. But low and behold the next morning I went out and noticed it was down and right away knew something bad had happened because I remembered putting closing it. Some little SOB stole my toolbox with mostly computer parts and software and all my son's ice hockey equipment. Dirty smelly hockey equipment that fits a 9 y/o. What ticks me off the most is that they probably threw most of the stuff away. Lesson cost about $1800, it has never gone unlocked again.

carnut

• CAFCNA 2018 Premium Member
  • 275000+ miles, and wheels haven't fallen off yet!!
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #29 on: 09/24/02 03:34 PM »

I live in a nice quiet suburban neighborhood, and nothing ever happens here. Except that time when my wife and I woke up on a Sunday morning to six cop cars on our street and in front of my house. Looked like the movies with guns drawn, taking cover behind their doors. I saw two cops with shotguns. They saw me, told me to get inside and take cover. This was a quiet dead end street with about 24 houses on it.
 The cause: ex husband came to the house of his exwife's boyfriend, Stabbed him badly, his wife ran out the other side of the house to hide.
 Don't think it can't happen to you.

I locked sides and tailgate from day one. Lock all doors, windows up, security set every night. But then again, I'm paranoid. I just like to keep my stuff.
Classic Car Nut, 29 Chevy coupe, 67 Camaro SS and (I must be insane) 73 Vega GT. And now, 2002 Chevy Avalanche Z71 loaded. Mods: Waag brushguard, billet grill, ambers, bug deflector, weather-flecters, molded mud flaps, flashlight, fender "flares".

empty

• Charter Member
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #30 on: 09/24/02 06:42 PM »

If anything it proves that even when there's nothing there to steal, there's still something there to steal.

I don't recall if anyone mentioned but the tailgate itself can be removed in just a few seconds.  Did the panel thief takes the mounting hardware or just the panels?

Maddening part is thieves just junk the stuff if they can't score some crack or whatever right away.  And why not, it didn't actually cost them anything.  Parasites.

2002 Z71

ZimmsAv

• Nightime DRL's!
    • ZimmsAv Pics
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #31 on: 09/24/02 11:36 PM »

It dawned on me to start locking the tailgate & cargo boxes when I was at a local car show/cruise in and I saw people just go right up to my truck when I wasn't next to it and open up the boxes and see what's in there.  I keep everything locked now...

Royal Oak, Michigan
ZimmsAv Pics

goo929

• Silent Avalanche - In Memorial
  • I'm now cruising my Av in heaven.
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #32 on: 09/24/02 11:40 PM »

Yes ... that happens to me all the time too.

I even keep the center console locked when I show it.  I am not always around when they are checking it out.

Don't cry for me - I'm cruising in heaven with Hooter's babes!
[/size]

lsuflyingtiger

• I love the Chevy Avalanche!  Geaux Tigers!!!!!
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #33 on: 09/25/02 02:37 AM »

The moron that stole the panels just took the panels and nothing else.
Wanted an AV forever, finally got one!

White Z-66; Leather etc.  Added mudflaps and bug shield; flag bowtie, flag rear window, K&N air filter, V-force dual exhaust out the back.

Green_Machine

Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #34 on: 09/25/02 07:37 AM »

Grr, sorry to hear about the theft, that's just infuriating  :8:

Thanks for the heads up though, it forced me to make certain that my Av is locked up tight.

JJM

• 2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 Z71 - Black
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #35 on: 11/09/03 10:45 AM »

ENGRAVER!!!  Get an engraver and engrave the serial number of your AV on the back side of the panels.  Then, if they show up on E-Bay or a Flee Market, any AV owner can help out his fellow AV owner.  Contact the cops, have them run the serial number and have them returned to their rightful owner.  The ripped off AV owner gets his panels back - the bad guys get busted!
2003 Avalanche 1500 Z71 - Black
"Every Day Is A Holiday"

ShapeShifter

• CAFCNA 2013 Premium Member
  • What a great trip it's been...
    • ShapeShifter
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #36 on: 11/09/03 11:29 AM »

Contact the cops, have them run the serial number and have them returned to their rightful owner.  The ripped off AV owner gets his panels back - the bad guys get busted!
And the guy who bought the panels in good faith, and did the right thing by reporting them, loses out on the money he just spent. It's just not right, but just try getting your money back from the seller dealing in stolen goods. :8:

-- SS

Supermobile

• CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member
  • Lead Guitar Picker
    • Supermobile site
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #37 on: 11/09/03 12:33 PM »

I keep my taigate locked all the time as well. I got in the habit early since I spend a lot of the time with the midgate down.

Just curious, why do you spend a lot of time with the midgate down. (are those steeheads really that big?)  ;D
Member since 2002. Listen to professionally recorded Avalanche Songs: http://www.larryhaydenmusic.com/avalanche.html

BgBlkAvalanche

• Charter Member
  • I refuse to grow up:  Only age!
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #38 on: 11/09/03 12:40 PM »

Everyone,

Recommend you lock your tailgates.  A guy down here didn't lock his and some stole his bed cover.  Easily prevented if your tailgate is locked.  So BE CAREFUL.

He said his replacement cost is over $700.  

Just some helpful hints from your favorite Tiger.

Jim :B:

Actually, the panels are $700 EACH!
The dealer replaced mine under waranty, and it was $2100 !
'02 Avalanche: Missing no option ( running boards removed) AR Atlas wheels & 285/75R16 Dick Cepek F-C II

Supermobile

• Lead Guitar Picker
    • Supermobile site
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #39 on: 11/09/03 01:10 PM »

Actually, the panels are $700 EACH!
The dealer replaced mine under waranty, and it was $2100 !

$2100 is a shocking revelation. Man if everyone knew that, they would keep the tailgate locked for sure.

Now what bothers me is the post someone made who said the tailgate itself can be removed easily in a matter of minutes.

Is that true?
« Last Edit: 11/09/03 01:10 PM by Supermobile »
Member since 2002. Listen to professionally recorded Avalanche Songs: http://www.larryhaydenmusic.com/avalanche.html

Chief

• Charter Member
  • Go team Venture!!!
    • Chevy Avalanche Fan Club
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #40 on: 11/09/03 01:24 PM »

Last night after parking my truck I had one of those "oh $h1t flashes" and went back out.  Sure enough the back was unlocked and had been since Friday afternoon.  The day I slipped a new Compaq computer system in the back!

YIKES!
2011 LTZ 4WD, White Diamond Tricoat, Black Leather - purchased 4/6/2015

2002 Z71, Indigo Blue, Graphite Leather

2009 Pontiac G8 GT, White Hot, Onyx Leather, Holden Commodore conversion

2005 Saturn Relay FWD3 Bronze Mist, Tan Leather, weather beater

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GT2 Silver, Gray Leather

1985 Isuzu Impulse Silver, Blue Cloth, fully restored survivor

WISE AV

• Gotta Love the AV !!!!!!
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #41 on: 11/09/03 03:16 PM »

Now what bothers me is the post someone made who said the tailgate itself can be removed easily in a matter of minutes.

Is that true?

Yep !!!
Lower it, unhook cable on each side, lift off !!!  gone in 60 seconds !!!
'02 Z-71, Onyx Black, 4.10, Brush Guard, SS Side Bars, Hood Deflector, Vent Visors, Full Time Amber DRL's, Door Edge Guards, Painted Lettering/Chrome Moulding on Cladding,  Sunroof, LOF, Mag Light, EXT Roof Rack, Tailgate Lettering, Sail Panel LED's

Supermobile

• Lead Guitar Picker
    • Supermobile site
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #42 on: 11/09/03 04:19 PM »

Yep !!!
Lower it, unhook cable on each side, lift off !!!  gone in 60 seconds !!!

But it has to be unlocked to lower it, correct? I thought he was saying that the tailgate could be removed easily even if it was unlocked.

ShapeShifter

• ShapeShifter
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #43 on: 11/09/03 05:45 PM »

But it has to be unlocked to lower it, correct? I thought he was saying that the tailgate could be removed easily even if it was unlocked.
If it's unlocked it's easy. If it's locked, it's a bit more work.

Yes, our tailgates have locks, but it isn't that hard to break them, and jimmy them open. Just like many car doors are easy to open with slimjim between the glass and weatherstrip, our tailgates are not completely secure.

Locks only keep honest people honest. If a determined thief wants to get in and take the tailgate, cargo panels, and/or anything else, there is little you can do to stop it.

-- SS

Skidd

• Member # 1394
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #44 on: 11/09/03 06:40 PM »

Locks only keep honest people honest. If a determined thief wants to get in and take the tailgate, cargo panels, and/or anything else, there is little you can do to stop it.

-- SS

I guess that 'man traps' are illegal in your part of the world as well.  ::)

disneydaddy

• Will work for a trip to Disneyworld
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #45 on: 11/09/03 06:55 PM »

I agree that locks only keep honest people honest.....  if you get caught trying to lift mine you better be able to run faster than 1650 feet per second  ;)

RedRocker

Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #46 on: 11/09/03 07:12 PM »

The thought of someone stealing my panels never even crossed my mind. Locking the tailgate and cargo boxes are will become a habit. I thought my tailgate would lock with the power door locks until I was showing off and too my surprise..it was unlocked. This truck has everything, I am amazed that Chevy didn't offer that function.
(by the way, Mine is a 04 so they still don't offer that yet).

Great forum. Love the truck. I was never a GM fan. This truck makes me wonder what I have been missing all these years?

04 Sport Met Red Z-71 (WBH) - Airlift bags, LED sail panel screws, rear view camera
01 Ford Conversion Van
89 "Cheap" Jeep Wrangler
95 Sportsmen 2600 Travel Trailer
02 Yamaha Grizzly 660
99 Polaris XLT 600 Special

A house full of kids, a garage full of toys and a wife sweet enough to let me keep them all.

munds Z71

Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #47 on: 11/09/03 07:30 PM »

This is something i never thought, of starting tomorrow........now i'm locking my tailgate :B: :B:MUNDSZ71 :B: :B:
First Avavanche 02 Z71 Indigo blue

Second Avalanche 09 LTZ Black

ShapeShifter

• ShapeShifter
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #48 on: 11/09/03 07:43 PM »

-- SS

I guess that 'man traps' are illegal in your part of the world as well.  ::)
Yep. And if you try and booby-trap your truck, all you're doing is handing over your truck, house, and all your money to the thief, because he's going to sue you in court and take you for everything. The fact that he was commiting a crime against your property when he got hurt doesn't seem to mean anything to our juries. :8:

Hmmm... am I getting to close to politics on this one? ???

-- SS

Skidd

• Member # 1394
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #49 on: 11/09/03 07:52 PM »

Yep. And if you try and booby-trap your truck, all you're doing is handing over your truck, house, and all your money to the thief, because he's going to sue you in court and take you for everything. The fact that he was commiting a crime against your property when he got hurt doesn't seem to mean anything to our juries. :8:

Hmmm... am I getting to close to politics on this one? ???

-- SS

LOL... not sure, but let me ask quickly before someones sees this thread.

Does it make ant difference if they are killed by the booby trap?  I.e. less likely to sue?  Or does it just allow the deceased NOK to lodge suit?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 23 queries.