Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Lock Your Tailgates  (Read 14301 times)

ShapeShifter

• CAFCNA 2013 Premium Member
  • What a great trip it's been...
    • ShapeShifter
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #50 on: 11/09/03 08:12 PM »

Does it make ant difference if they are killed by the booby trap?  I.e. less likely to sue?  Or does it just allow the deceased NOK to lodge suit?
No, if they die, then the next of kin can sue for wrongful death... on top of all of the other charges! :3:

-- SS

Skidd

• CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member
  • Member # 1394
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #51 on: 11/09/03 08:28 PM »

No, if they die, then the next of kin can sue for wrongful death... on top of all of the other charges! :3:

-- SS

Maybe we just need a wood chipper (picture a scene from the movie Fargo)... that way no one would ever know.  :4:

RIKrotorhead

• CAFCNA 2004 Supporting Member
  • You drive a WHAT??
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #52 on: 11/09/03 08:42 PM »

Maybe we just need a wood chipper (picture a scene from the movie Fargo)... that way no one would ever know.  :4:
???
You are going to put your cargo panels in a wood chipper?
 ;D

Hey RedRocker, welcome to the club. A good first mod is amber DRL's on your WBH. A good second one is the tailgate auto-lock. I saw a thread for a kit that has an auto-lock for the tailgate AND the saddlebags. I'll be doing that kit myself!
 :B:

7of7

• The GateCam
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #53 on: 11/09/03 10:18 PM »

Speaking of things being stolen,... One of my friends had his Jeep stolen,.... from the parking lot across the street from the police station,... they were only in the mall for 20-30 minutes.....

2003 Arrival Blue 1500 Z71, Every Option Except Engine Block Heater and XM Radio.  Snakeeyes Rear View Camera System, Stainless Assist Steps, Protection Package,  DRL Mod,  Headrest Mod, 2500 Front Wheel Well Moldings,Full-Time DRL's,

Supermobile

• CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member
  • Lead Guitar Picker
    • Supermobile site
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #54 on: 11/09/03 10:32 PM »

I guess that 'man traps' are illegal in your part of the world as well.  ::)

OK Skidd, you got my curiosity up, what is a "man trap" anyway?
Member since 2002. Listen to professionally recorded Avalanche Songs: http://www.larryhaydenmusic.com/avalanche.html

Skidd

• Member # 1394
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #55 on: 11/10/03 12:48 AM »

I think you would call it a 'booby trap', that is something designed to catch a person not an animal.  I had a mate who wired the mains supply (240 volts) to his garage roller door where he kept his Harley Davidson... he did hear a loud scream along with an enormous blue flash.  LOL... I guess that someone didn't get what they wanted.

fitchr

• No matter where you go....There you are!
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #56 on: 11/10/03 06:30 AM »

Good advice about locking the tailgate. Another GOOD REASON is that a locked tailgate can't be removed. An open tailgate is removeable (without tools) unless you purchase an aftermarket locking device. Replaces the bolt on the right hand side with a bolt that has a head with a key indentation like a lug nut lock. I got one but I forget where I got it. Less than $5.00 I think. Tailgates are attractive to thives because they are almost always damaged when involved in rear end collisions. Eaiser to steal one than pay close to a grand for a replacement. They probably even shop for the right color so they don't have to bother with painting the thing.

IMHO, get a lock!
Richard Fitch, Lexington, Virginia
02 Onyx Black Z71, Poron Micro 3 Reversing Aid, Line of Fire, Rosewood Dash Kit, Sportwing Spoiler, Carrigeworks Polished Aluminum Grill and Bowtie, Mountain Graphics on C Pillars and Visors, 885 Fogs, Light, Magnaflow Muffler with Tip, Tailgate Pinswitch Cargo Light Control, Mirror Bras, CargoPro, Wheelskins Steering Wheel Cover, Window Vent-Shades, Bug Shield, GM Splash Guards, Viper 790XV remote start alarm system, Garmin SP IIIDeluxe.

GoldBowTie

• CAFCNA Regional Coordinator
  • Have you hugged your Avalanche today?
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #57 on: 11/11/03 03:39 AM »

I guess that 'man traps' are illegal in your part of the world as well.  ::)

Marriage?  ;)

Please excuse my off topic reply.

Also, I always keep my tailgate and side boxes locked.
Av #1 2002 Onyx Black Z71  201 MONTHS of ownership (Oct 01 - today) and 68447 miles.
147 GTG's attended in: OH, WV, TN, NY, MI, Canada, IN, NH, KY, GA, PA, NC, IA, and MO.

Av #3 2009 Black LTZ  63 months of ownership (Mar 13 - today) and 145889 miles.
(124594 when bought)
23 GTG's attended in: WV, OH, PA, IN and MI

Av #2 2003 Yellow Z71 WBH  18 MONTHS of ownership (Sep 11 - Mar 13) and 9302 miles added.
(101764 at delivery, 111066 at trade-in) Traded for 2009
19 GTG's attended in: OH, MI, PA, WV

midlifecrisis

• Charter Member
    • AutoRacing1
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #58 on: 11/11/03 04:55 AM »

I saw one of the cop shows the other night where the police rigged an SUV to automatically lock a burgular in the vehicle if the starter was tampered with.  They were doing a sting operation on car thiefs.  So a thief tries to steal the vehicle, but the electrical system goes haywire and the thief gets burned when the vehicle catches fire.

So then of course, the burgular's attorney tries to sue the police for injuring him.  Go figure.....   :o
2002 Black Onyx 1500 Z-71, assist steps, roof rack, WOL tires, visor decals, amber DRLs, gold painted cladding lettering, gold Avalanche C-pillar decals, Avalanche mountain Z-71 logo, mounted mag-lite, side mirror bras, hitch mounted back-up light (destroyed when rear-ended), stainless steel exhaust tip

awaken96

Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #59 on: 11/11/03 08:15 AM »

I've seen many bed covers on e-bay, they get 800.00 to 1000.00 for the covers, i've always wondered who in their right mind would sell the pannels! mabe there stolen from avs ?
2005 pontiac GTO
1995 camaro Z28

2004 2500 arrival blue.loaded. leather. onstar. .  4.10  ..mud guards,  new good years with raised white letters...vent visers...hood protecter...k&N..7'6" fisher snow plow, GM crome side steps, gm xm radio

Avalanche Rookie

• Life goes on.....
    • Avalanche Rookie's Website
Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #60 on: 11/14/03 07:37 AM »

Mine is usually locked 24/7.  During the summer I had my golf clubs back there so I'm kinda in the habit of locking it anyway.

Thanks for the heads up.

Chris
2004 WBH Dark Gray Metallic Z66 - Sunroof, Cloth Seats, Stabilitrac, Avalanche Visor Decals, Custom Bowtie, In-Channel Vent Visors, XD5 Headlamps, Full Time DRL's, All 4 on at Once Mod.  Yet to install......chrome handles.

Sound System:  Pioneer NAV-SYS900DVD DVD Mobile Navigation System.

pactkevin

• 05 LT 2WD Onstar XM Sunroof Leather 5.3 L
Re: Lock Your Tailgates
« Reply #61 on: 11/08/17 06:40 AM »

I replaced my tail gate lock with a different lock assembly.... not keyed to the same key as the rest of the truck. 
Avoids problems when I have to valet park my truck or when it is at a shop.  I carry the tail gate key with me.  Keeps all my goodies secure
Kevin Stephenson
2005 AV 1500
151,000 miles

ZipTie-Z71

« Reply #62 on: 11/08/17 08:11 AM »

Pretty old thread back to life lol,  I took apart my handle/lock because it was seized up, amazing what a alittle oil does.......anyways I found out how easy it would be to break the plastic cover to open up the tailgate if it's locked.
2006 Chevy Avalanche Z71
2014 Chevy Traverse AWD
2000 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab Z71
1986 Chevy Silverado long box 2WD
1967 Chevy C10 long box 2WD
1965 GMC 910 short box 2WD
1951 Chevy 3800 (1-ton)

frito

• CAFCNA 2018 Premium Member
  • "I'll be your bumblebee buzzing around"
« Reply #63 on: 11/08/17 11:57 AM »

I replaced my tail gate lock with a different lock assembly.... not keyed to the same key as the rest of the truck. 
Avoids problems when I have to valet park my truck or when it is at a shop.  I carry the tail gate key with me.  Keeps all my goodies secure
Unless you get a valet who, while unlikely, actually knows about the mid-gate.  😉 :)
Bumblebee - '03 Z71, FTDRL, All On High, Sail Panel LEDs, Bumper Cup Holders.  Decisions, Decisions...

nwguy

• CAFCNA 2018 Supporting Member
  • TOO OLD to keep doing what I keep doing any way.
« Reply #64 on: 02/02/18 11:47 AM »

WHERE I live, I leave the keys in the vehicles so I always know where they are.

We never lock the front door (big window, floor to top)when we leave because who ever has mischief on their mind should get a  good look at the 140 pound Rotty on the other side who will be trying to eat his way through to the person on the other side of the door.  :4:

One of the benefits of being the last house on a private road buried deep into the woods.
NO ONE will be able to hear you scream...:thumbsup:
My personal survival code-
I would rather have it and not need it instead of need it and not have it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 23 queries.