• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Lock Your Tailgates

lsuflyingtiger

SM 2003
Everyone,

Recommend you lock your tailgates. A guy down here didn't lock his and some stole his bed cover. Easily prevented if your tailgate is locked. So BE CAREFUL.

He said his replacement cost is over $700.

Just some helpful hints from your favorite Tiger.

Jim :B:

I've thought about this already. I'm in such a habit now of locking it that I lock it even if the covers are off! But I guess locking it all the time has 2 advantages, well ok 3: 1) Can't steal the covers. 2) Can't steal the bed liner. 3) I'm always sure that the tailgate is closed. (I've found that if the key doesn't turn to the locked position easily, that the tailgate may not be completely latched. So I open it and slam it one more time.) I've only had the tailgate bounce once :eek: (when my Dad didn't close it hard enough) and that's all it took for me to make sure it's closed all the time! (y)

I have the tailgate bounce twice. Once when I first bought the truck and once when my friend put his clubs in the back and he shut it. It owns a Toyota so he was used to being a wimp with the tailgate. I explained to him that you can close my tailgate like a man. The AV won't get hurt.

When I replaced my factory alarm with an aftermarket one, I had them put a solenoid in for the tailgate. Now whenever I hit my 'lock' button it locks all the doors, and the tailgate too! It was only $100 to have them do it, although they told me they regretted charging so little (something about having to take the tailgate apart to run the wire?). Makes life much more secure - since the world is so obviously sanitized for my protection! >:D

And as for someone stealing the bed covers... What REALLY would tick me off about that - Has to be another AV owner! Or worse yet - an EXT owner :mad: Who else could use them?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr....thiefs make me mad :8:

Seems this thief wants to resell the panels back to the owner.....I remember when T-tops were a hot and stolen all the time......

I have always locked my tailgate and will conitinue to do so......

What is the world comming to. Now our bed covers aren't even safe anymore. Mine will be. I am going out and buying a rabid Pitt Bull and putting him in the back of my AV, with a watter/food dispensser. That should help protect my investment.

***the above statement is purely fictional. Wiki loves animals and would never submit an animal to those conditions.......but I would putt a Pitt Bull on a thief in a heartbeat*******

I guess with this kinda makes me leary of the stuff for sale in our parts section.....Hopefully no thiefs have joined the site to sell the stuff they stole from a fellow avy owner

I always lock my tailgate, both to verify that it is closed correctly and to prevent theft.

It's kind of funny, last week I had to go to the dump, when I do that I usually load up the truck on Friday night so I can just go on Sat. morning. I had the panels off and I stored them in the bag. I said to my wife "do you think its ok to leave them in the back or should I put them in the shed?" I decided to leave them in the back but I think from now on I'll store them in my shed when I do that.

-Mark

I lock my tailgate 99% of the time, even when there's nothing in there. After reading this, guess I'll keep it locked that other 1% now. A power lock is on my mod list, it's moving up the list a few notches now.

I can just see it now. That guy thought the covers were cool and is right now tryng to figure out how to mount them on his little toy import truck. Truck envy. :C:

-- SS

Wow. Thanks for the tip lsuflyingtiger. I only lock mine when there's something in it to steal. That's gonna change now. I didn't even think of someone ripping off the cover.

Got a habit to change! I've gotten into the 'slam it and check it' habit but haven't generally locked the gate each time.

Yea the auto lock is an oversight on Chevy's part . . and one not corrected on the 2003 . . . :mad:

As for thieves . . . they are simple opportunists . . . it doesn't matter what they steal . . . if it did, such moral thought patterns would likely lead them to repent of their 'profession' . . . unfortunately it doesn't happen often.

Ahhnuld said:
:8:The SOB could sell them on ebay or anywhere esle for that matter. I was waiting for this to happen.

Hey, lsuflyingtiger...maybe the thief will be dumb enough to sell on ebay. Then you could win, meet him locally to pick up your panels, and then kick his ***. Just a thought.

BTW, I'm a UF alum and UF/LSU happens to be one of the only two games that I will be able to go to this year. Could be a good one!

I keep my taigate locked all the time as well. I got in the habit early since I spend a lot of the time with the midgate down.

I lock mine all of the time, even if its in my driveway. Old habbit from growing up near Chicago.

Locking it can be a hassel. I travel frequently, and with the "tighter" security at the airports, they want to check every compartment. Before I leave for the airport, I have to unlock the tailgate and the side compartments.

RichUF,

Should be a good game on the 12th. Just sucks that it is in the Swamp. I was at the game a couple years back when LSU won 28-21. UF had a good game against Tennessee.

Jim

I consistently keep mine locked at all times, I trust nobody in this world today enough to do otherwise....I normally don't have to go back there on a daily basis regardless so it is locked most of the time anyway... :B:

I had my AV for 2 months B4 I realized that when I used the remote to lock all the doors that the tailgate was not included, I was lucky. Tks 4 the Tip on stolen Covers, I never thought of that. I never used to lock my tailgate guess I will start!

The best is when I hear from some of my friends or collegues..."We don't really worry about locking or anything because it is a pretty quiet neighborhood"...Ok where do you think the thieves in the world are going to target eventually....point is nobody is safe, and where you fall on the map I don't think makes much of a difference.... :B:

I keep mine locked all the time. No telling if someone might want to use the "bed" as a hotel room some night. I don't really keep anything in it anyway, except for an aluminum bat and a blanket. Ya gotta love those aluminum bats . . . . no splinters to get snagged on the blanket during behavior modification activities! >:D

Back