Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
08/27/14 08:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Key broke off in hitch pin/lock  (Read 4980 times)
Thundertek2002

DIY Modder

Awards
« on: 05/12/09 10:57 PM »

banghead  Went to unlock the hitch so I could put my new 36" step bar in the hitch receiver, but it was a little rusted, and the key broke off inside... Now I can't get the lock off, and the key's broke off inside so I can't even WD40 it and use another key

HELP!!

04 Cladded Z71: HID's, Leveling Keys, Pioneer DVD/Nav, Helo Max Rims, Fuzion XTI Tires, EZ Down, Painted/3D Flame Dash, Clear/Black Headlights n Signals, Carbon Tails, PA System, Lots of Blue & Green Neon, Spiked Sail Panels, Custom Rear Light bar... etc.. etc..
irontrain
CAFCNA Global Moderator

Chicago BULLS #1

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 05/12/09 11:35 PM »

I found a few suggestions but they all depend on getting to broken key out of the lock except the last choice.

1.  If the lock has a code or serial number stamped or printed on it, take the code to a locksmith shop they should be able to cut a key from the code.

2.  If no code the locksmith should be able to pick the lock from the hitch lock and possible make a key for it.

3.  Use a small angle grinder to cut the pin or the lock, remove it and purchase a new pin.

I'm thinking that an angle or pencil grinder with a cutting wheel is probably the fastest and easiest. Good luck.

This space for rent
JSal69
CAFCNA 2004 Supporting Member

LI/NYC Chapter Decals On Sale Now - $6 each

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 05/13/09 12:38 AM »

banghead  Went to unlock the hitch so I could put my new 36" step bar in the hitch receiver, but it was a little rusted, and the key broke off inside... Now I can't get the lock off, and the key's broke off inside so I can't even WD40 it and use another key

HELP!!

I was a licensed NYC Locksmith.

Here is what you have to do.

Go to a Locksmith and ask if he will sell you a "Broken Key Extraction Tool"

There are a couple of types and neither is expensive.  He shouldn't charge you more than a couple of dollars.

Then get yourself as set of very small needle nose pliers.

Lubricate the lock and then use the extraction tool to move the broken portion of the key far enough out so you can grasp it with the pliers.

At that point hopefully you have a spare key, or you will have to order another key from the manufacturer as long as there is a code on the lock or the bow end of the broken portion of key (hopefully you didn't throw it out).   You will also need to provide proof of ownership.

You might also be able to have a key cut from code by a local Locksmith if they have the code book.
It all depends if it's a blind or direct code.

« Last Edit: 05/13/09 12:41 AM by JSal69 » Logged

'04 Arrival Blue, WBH, Z71, SS Emblems, SS Headrests, Chrome SS Silverado Rims & SS White Face Gauge Cluster w/Trans Temp, Denali Dash Bezel, Many Chrome Parts, Born-On-Date 11/28/03, Adoption Date 01/02/04, Member Of The A.B.N.

"THOUGH I DRIVE THRU THE VALLEY OF RICE, I SHALL FEAR NO IMPORT... FOR TORQUE ARTE' WITH ME..."
ygmn
Administrator

Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 05/13/09 03:12 PM »

HACK SAW

Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
tmac_13

Speed kills. Drive a Ford n' live forever!

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 05/13/09 04:08 PM »

If you cant still see the broken off key, use a very small drill bit and put a tiny hole in the broken off key. Then find the smallest solder u can find, heat up the lock, and insert the solder. Once it melts, dont move your hand and let it cool and harden. Then pull it all out as one unit. If you cannot see the broken off piece, bring it to a locksmith and let them do their magic. Hope that helps.  I don't know
Raceman
CAFCNA 2006 Supporting Member

I Fear no Beer

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 05/13/09 04:20 PM »

BFH and a chisel

05  Z71  Bermuda Blue
Darkhorse
CAFCNA 2007 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 05/13/09 05:02 PM »

Fire Wrench
JSal69
CAFCNA 2004 Supporting Member

LI/NYC Chapter Decals On Sale Now - $6 each

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 05/13/09 10:05 PM »

HACK SAW

Big laughter with tears

Not if the hitch pin is made from hardened steel...

You'll be there all day and need a new arm after your done.

I could have that broken key out in a matter of a couple of minutes or less.

Again, all you need is an extraction tool which can be bought or made from a piece of spring steel, and a pair of small needle nose pliers.   Don't forget to lube the lock before you start if it's rusty.

Here is what one type of extraction tool looks like.  This is the type I like to use.

« Last Edit: 05/13/09 10:19 PM by JSal69 » Logged

'04 Arrival Blue, WBH, Z71, SS Emblems, SS Headrests, Chrome SS Silverado Rims & SS White Face Gauge Cluster w/Trans Temp, Denali Dash Bezel, Many Chrome Parts, Born-On-Date 11/28/03, Adoption Date 01/02/04, Member Of The A.B.N.

"THOUGH I DRIVE THRU THE VALLEY OF RICE, I SHALL FEAR NO IMPORT... FOR TORQUE ARTE' WITH ME..."
MEDICO
CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member

Dad's Toy

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 05/17/09 06:58 PM »

If removing the broken off key doesn't work, Get an Angle die grinder and cut off wheels in order to cut the pin.. Try letting a exhust/muffler shop do it, yes you'll have to pay a little for the service

02 Z66 Pewter w/Cladding. Amber DRL's, K&N CAI, Cat Back Flowmaster Series 50 w/ stainless pipes, Hypertech program, Hi/Lo Piaa's, Billet Grill overlay, All 4 on w/DRL & Fogs, Enkei's Fender Flares, LOF,.All  All 4brake on, TOC, Tranny Servo, GATORBACKED, Cargo bed switch, TRAIN HORNS Strobes, Red Neon Glow., Crome Westin BullBar w/ Piaa 520's, SS Nerf bars.. More to follow
QIK-CHG
CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #9 on: 05/17/09 08:24 PM »

I'm going to have to take mine to a locksmith, or figure out how to cut it off also.  When my truck was broken into last year the SOB took the key out of the glove box, and I can't see any numbers on it to order a new key.

2003 Z-66 Charcoal Grey WBH - all the options, except the DVD, "Hybrid" Steel Slide, Stull billet grille, JBA Ceramic headers, Borla Catback, Volant CAI, Predator tune, TX bowtie and TX Flag rear window graphic
QIK-CHG
Thundertek2002

DIY Modder

Awards
« Reply #10 on: 05/31/09 08:27 PM »

Angle grinder and a diamond cutting wheel... old lock was off in 30 seconds  Thumbs up!  Think cut through like butter!!

04 Cladded Z71: HID's, Leveling Keys, Pioneer DVD/Nav, Helo Max Rims, Fuzion XTI Tires, EZ Down, Painted/3D Flame Dash, Clear/Black Headlights n Signals, Carbon Tails, PA System, Lots of Blue & Green Neon, Spiked Sail Panels, Custom Rear Light bar... etc.. etc..
lmychajluk

All I wanted was a beer, 'stuff' happens...

Awards
« Reply #11 on: 08/14/09 08:59 AM »

Angle grinder and a diamond cutting wheel... old lock was off in 30 seconds  Thumbs up!  Think cut through like butter!!

Good to know! I've have a step / bumper guard in my reciever for the past two years. Bought a boat last weekend, and am going to pick it up tomorrow, and realized that the lock on the hitch pin is so corroded that I can't turn the key!  banghead

I squirted some WD40 in there last night and again this morning, but if that doesn't work its magic by the time I get home, that pin is going to be introduced to Mr. DeWalt...

-Lee
Refusing to become a contributing member as long as admins restrict well-respected community members from helping other members.
'07 DBM LTZ, 4.10s, Warn Transformer Grill Guard
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: