• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Key broke off in hitch pin/lock

Thundertek2002

:E:  Went to unlock the hitch so I could put my new 36" step bar in the hitch receiver, but it was a little rusted, and the key broke off inside... Now I can't get the lock off, and the key's broke off inside so I can't even WD40 it and use another key

HELP!!

I found a few suggestions but they all depend on getting to broken key out of the lock except the last choice.

1.  If the lock has a code or serial number stamped or printed on it, take the code to a locksmith shop they should be able to cut a key from the code.

2.  If no code the locksmith should be able to pick the lock from the hitch lock and possible make a key for it.

3.  Use a small angle grinder to cut the pin or the lock, remove it and purchase a new pin.

I'm thinking that an angle or pencil grinder with a cutting wheel is probably the fastest and easiest. Good luck.

Thundertek2002 said:
:E:  Went to unlock the hitch so I could put my new 36" step bar in the hitch receiver, but it was a little rusted, and the key broke off inside... Now I can't get the lock off, and the key's broke off inside so I can't even WD40 it and use another key

HELP!!

I was a licensed NYC Locksmith.

Here is what you have to do.

Go to a Locksmith and ask if he will sell you a "Broken Key Extraction Tool"

There are a couple of types and neither is expensive.  He shouldn't charge you more than a couple of dollars.

Then get yourself as set of very small needle nose pliers.

Lubricate the lock and then use the extraction tool to move the broken portion of the key far enough out so you can grasp it with the pliers.

At that point hopefully you have a spare key, or you will have to order another key from the manufacturer as long as there is a code on the lock or the bow end of the broken portion of key (hopefully you didn't throw it out).   You will also need to provide proof of ownership.

You might also be able to have a key cut from code by a local Locksmith if they have the code book.
It all depends if it's a blind or direct code.

If you cant still see the broken off key, use a very small drill bit and put a tiny hole in the broken off key. Then find the smallest solder u can find, heat up the lock, and insert the solder. Once it melts, dont move your hand and let it cool and harden. Then pull it all out as one unit. If you cannot see the broken off piece, bring it to a locksmith and let them do their magic. Hope that helps.  :dunno:

ygmn said:

:laugh:

Not if the hitch pin is made from hardened steel...

You'll be there all day and need a new arm after your done.

I could have that broken key out in a matter of a couple of minutes or less.

Again, all you need is an extraction tool which can be bought or made from a piece of spring steel, and a pair of small needle nose pliers.   Don't forget to lube the lock before you start if it's rusty.

Here is what one type of extraction tool looks like.  This is the type I like to use.

2qwq89f.jpg

I'm going to have to take mine to a locksmith, or figure out how to cut it off also.  When my truck was broken into last year the SOB took the key out of the glove box, and I can't see any numbers on it to order a new key.

Thundertek2002 said:
Angle grinder and a diamond cutting wheel... old lock was off in 30 seconds  (y)  Think cut through like butter!!

Good to know! I've have a step / bumper guard in my reciever for the past two years. Bought a boat last weekend, and am going to pick it up tomorrow, and realized that the lock on the hitch pin is so corroded that I can't turn the key!  :E:

I squirted some WD40 in there last night and again this morning, but if that doesn't work its magic by the time I get home, that pin is going to be introduced to Mr. DeWalt...

Back