Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
12/21/14 02:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AC Maintenance  (Read 1986 times)
Durwin
Charter Member

I love the Chevy Avalanche!

Awards
« on: 06/09/09 06:50 PM »

Good Evening,
Does anyone out there do their own AC recharging? I haven't in a few years and was thinking about buying
this 
http://www.efproducts.com/proddetail.php?prod=322&cat=9
and doing my own.

Just a thought. It seems cheaper than taking the Avalanche in for such a simple procedure.
Durwin

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500
Indigo Blue Metallic
Graphite
Sacramento California
MS03 2500
CAFCNA 2014 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 06/09/09 07:02 PM »

Well I would not buy that just buy a can of R134a with a pressure gauge attached.
Do you think you have a leak.  Huh

Link
« Last Edit: 06/09/09 07:36 PM by MichiganSilver03 » Logged

2003 2500
Durwin
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 06/09/09 08:47 PM »

Basically, that's the same thing. Just one can, where the kit I was interested in had two cans.
That's more than just 134A. It contains a lubricant and some sort of a synthetic "booster".

Durwin

Indigo Blue Metallic
Graphite
Sacramento California
MS03 2500
CAFCNA 2014 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 06/09/09 08:52 PM »

Sorry it's Raising the BS flag

It's the same thing the can has the same stuff. Don't waste your money.

2003 2500
ygmn
Administrator

Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 06/10/09 06:43 AM »

no reason to ever add Refrdigerant unless you have leak.
If you have leak need to fix it first then properly recharge by evacuating system then recharging...

Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
Durwin
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 06/10/09 06:27 PM »

That's why this site is great.

Hmmm. Maybe that explains why my 18 year old Mustang still blows chilly air and doesn't need R12.
Durwin

Indigo Blue Metallic
Graphite
Sacramento California
mrosenfield
CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 07/16/09 10:35 PM »

The problem with adding cans of R134 is that the amount of refrigerant in the system is much more critical than R12 for proper operation. The only way to get the right amount in is to remove all of it, and recharge by weight, not pressure. Sure you can add a can if the AC isn't blowing cold, but if you add too much, the system will overpressure on a hot day and shut down until the pressure drops. In extreme cases, it will vent the freon charge.
My Avy has 104K miles on it, and I all of a sudden, it started blowing warm air when idling. It was plenty cool while driving. Turns out the compressor was failing.
I cleaned a lot of metal particles out of the system, replaced the compressor, orfice tube, and accumulator ($450 for parts).
By the way, there are used non-automatic A/C machines out there - I got one for $250. It has paid for itself 5 times over!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: