• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Installing 2006 manual extending electric mirrors on a 2002 Avalanche

BigWhite

Newb here!  I'm the second owner of a 2002 White Avalanche 2500 with the big block.  I frequently pull a 26ft. Artic Fox trailer that weighs 7800lbs loaded.  I'd like to replace the stock electric mirrors with the newer 2006 manual extending electric mirrors.  I'm assuming that this is possible?  I've been searching the forum for a few hours now, but can't seem to find more than a reference or two on this subject. Perhaps ShapeShifter can shed some light on this?  My stock mirrors have the defrost feature, which I would like to keep if possible on the extending mirrors.  Turn signals aren't important.  Wiring diagrams for the 06 manual extending electric mirrors and the stock 02 electric mirror harness would be helpful.  Pictures showing the installation would be good too!

Thanks!

BigWhite

Did you ever find out how to install these?  I am upgrading to a 32' Grand Design Travel Trailer and was thinking about installing better mirrors than the clamp on type I use now?

Sorry to say but I doubt you will get a response from the original poster since this post was from 2009 and it was his only post.
By checking his profile info it looks like the poster was last active on this site 06/26/09.

Hopefully someone else who did this mod will see the thread and respond.

I know the 2002 had some unique electrical set up but would guess if you could find a 2002 Silverado or Suburban mirror set it could work?.....

The 2002 mirror wiring pins and connector is indeed different from all the others but it can be done. Right before nationals this year I had to replace my mirror because the mounting frame where the glass frame attaches to the mirror broke and I could not get the glass to stay on. I had purchased a mirror off eBay for a replacement however when it arrived it was 03-05 style mirror. I ended up having to take both mirrors apart and swap out the motors and all hardware but the broken mount from my mirror to the new mirror. I found out that not only is the wiring different but the circuit boards connecting to the motors in the back of the mirror that control pan and tilt is different as well.

In the 02 it is a simple design where there are just 4 wires that change polarity and revers power to the 2 motors to change direction. In the newer mirrors, the concept is the same but the circuit board is a lot more complex with resistors and a bunch of other electrical components to boot. Your wiring from your doors will not work with them.

What I'm saying is you can tackle it but get ready to move all your wires into the new mirror and make them longer so that the mirror will be able to extend manually  when you need it to.

Thanks, I don't mind swapping the guts out to make them work.  Looks Like I need a trip to the salvage yard and pick up some mirrors to play with this winter.

Why not just get on ebay and buy the ones that fit your 02.  I had them on mine, and they were great.  At the time they were less than $200.

Good Point.
You'd have to go digging among the listings on sites like eBay etc for the right one as a vast majority say 99-06 extending mirror or 02-06 extending mirror. Stay away from those. The one that is sold as 99-02 extending mirror with the black 8-pin plug is the only one that really works as those were the correct years that GM used the pin out that's in the 02 Avalanche

I've got notes from where I put a set with turn signals on my 02. I swapped the plugs around so they just plugged into the truck like factory.

Back