• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Ac clutch going bad - replace clutch or whole compressor?

timvan

The compressor clutch is going out on my 04 av. Should I attempt to just replace the clutch or the whole compressor? Never replaced a compressor clutch, whats involved?

How do you know the clutch is going out..

they either work or they dont

never heard of one going out......

timvan said:
The compressor clutch is going out on my 04 av. Should I attempt to just replace the clutch or the whole compressor? Never replaced a compressor clutch, whats involved?

Don't think you can service the compressor. Kind of like the bearings in the front hubs. Sealed deal.

ramonday said:
Don't think you can service the compressor. Kind of like the bearings in the front hubs. Sealed deal.
you can replace just the clutch,but you will need some special tools, the advantage to replacing just the clutch is not needing to refill the system, although on an av' you may not be able too reach the compressor to do the disassembly (n)

Replace the whole thing, the clutch may be failing/locking up due to the compressor having issues - so you'll spend the $ on a clutch, just to find you need to do it all over again anyway

The Denso AC unit is pretty stout.  But most service manuals and most parts stores do not list a replacement clutch.

It isn't just that simple to replace.

I have a spare Denso unit that needs a clutch and that is all - and I won't even touch it!

Since the Chevy Pick Up all uses the same compressor, it is cheaper to replace it with a used compressor or buy a new one.

Some technicians has told me that a new GM clutch is as much as $250, and the whole unit is $350 out of the Chevrolet Garage = with a guarantee.

It wouldn't make much sense to change it - even if you could!

Back